Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

11 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

I saw two polynesian guys yesterday competing to see who could bench press the most.  One of them put up 350.  Then the other guy went and also hit 350.  So they both benched the exact same amount in the competition.  And I was like "Damn.  That's a strong, polynesian, tie."

200.gif

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

The perfect fit for Ohio State in this circumstance if Meyer's done, and I think he is, would be to sign Mack Brown. He's got a clean resume with no hints of corruption, he's no older than Saban, he can recruit, he knows the big school culture well, and he's a CEO-type who will let the staff do work during the year. I'm honestly not kidding. Maybe others will mention Jim Grobe, I guess. 

Beyond that, I woke up this morning with the recruiting landscape looking one way, and now this afternoon, it looks way different. Anyone who doesn't view this as great news for anyone competing with OSU for kids is being obstinate. 

Mehringer buttfucked the recruitments of Higgins and Wilson by running his mouth about current players, but he wasn't the only one involved. Herman has been handling both lately. If Longhorn94 didn't commit seppuku in shame over his Wilson confidence, it would be interesting to hear updates on this as things unfold.

I am currently sitting at a resort in Newport Beach enjoying a nice glass of Pinot Noir. I get back in town on Saturday and have dinner plans with people close to Wilson's recruitment. I should have an update shortly thereafter. I can tell you that Texas is the only school Wilson continues to listen to despite his public outbursts. Obviously odds are still heavily in favor of him attending OSU regardless of Urban's challenges but the only school with a chance is Texas.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

I am currently sitting at a resort in Newport Beach enjoying a nice glass of Pinot Noir. I get back in town on Saturday and have dinner plans with people close to Wilson's recruitment. I should have an update shortly thereafter. I can tell you that Texas is the only school Wilson continues to listen to despite his public outbursts. Obviously odds are still heavily in favor of him attending OSU regardless of Urban's challenges but the only school with a chance is Texas.

Kosta Browne?

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/08/open-post-wednesday-august-1st/

Lewis Cine Timeline and Return Visit
– Super K

As we mentioned last week, Lewis Cine took a visit to UGA this past weekend.

Going into the visit Lewis remained very high on Penn State but UGA was surging. There was some thought that like Makiya Tongue, Cine may commit to UGA.

I checked in with him last night and he said he is still waiting till October to make a decision.

While Cine has already taken his official visit to Texas, he wants to take an unofficial down to Texas for the Texas vs. USC game. So, Texas will have one more chance to crack what appears to be his current top two of Penn State and Georgia.

Catalon Visited Texas Yesterday…and Will Visit at Least Two More Times
– Super K

2019 DB Jalen Catalon is coming off an unofficial visit to Arkansas. He let us know that he was headed down to Texas tomorrow for yet another unofficial visit. By all appearances, the visit went well.

But that’s not all…

Catalon plans to take another unofficial visit down to Texas for the USC game in September. Then, we believe he will take his official to Texas after the season (sounds like the Texas staff is trying to keep in-season official visits to a minimum).

Based on what I’ve heard, Catalon is going to also take multiple visits to other schools as well, in order to give them all a fair look. Catalon is still looking at making a decision in January. It’s my belief that he is very genuinely going through the process and does not yet have a true leader. In fact, it’s my understanding that the reason he is taking his time with the process is because he simply isn’t sure, yet, about where he wants to go.

– Another offer that went out this weekend was to Plano East (TX) S Tyler Owens.

Now if you want to talk about a freak athlete in the 2019 class, enter Owens. I know Super K talked about some of these things in his post after Owens picked up the offer on Sunday. But Owens is a legit 4.4-5 guy, he ran a 100m in the 10.3 range, he broad jumped 11’2 at Texas camp. And Owens is 6’2, maybe 6’3 and someone at the Texas camp told me he probably weighs around 210-215 right now. That’s really big for a HS DB, and after he get in a college weight program I could see him putting on 15 or so pounds easily.

Owens could be the DeMarvion Overshown of the 2019 class. A bigger safety who may start his career in the defensive backfield but could likely end up sliding down to the rover/OLB position. Owens has offers from Baylor, Nebraska, and some others. He told Super K yesterday that Texas leads, and it won’t surprise me at all to see him blow up later in the process.

– Texas gained two commitments over the weekend. And one was a pretty big surprise and that was when Jones (FL) OLB Marcus Tillman Jr announced his commitment to Texas shortly after picking up a Texas offer.

I talked to Tillman after he made his commitment. One thing he told me was that he didn’t come into the weekend with any plans to make a commitment, even if Texas offered. He told me “the players and coaches just made me feel like family from the time I stepped on campus.” One guy he said he really clicked with was Texas LB commit De’Gabriel Floyd.

Tillman is Texas’ second LB commit, along with Floyd.

Notes and Quotes from the Weekend
– Will Baizer

2019 OLB DeGabriel Floyd – Westlake (Westlake Village, CA) TEXAS

This interview I didn’t do at Stars At Night, but a few days afterward.

Floyd told me his favorite part of the camp was the water balloon fight because “…players, commits, recruits were just hanging out as one family, and I really liked that.”

The players that really impressed him were “…The Cibolo 2020 DB (Jaylon Jones), real tall lanky guy who’s got good weight on him and got some pretty decent feet and hips. I’d like to see him come to Texas… McKel Broussard, I feel like he lit it up at the camp. Speed and precision through all his routes, and great hands when the ball is put within a decent radius… Tyler Owens, man, he’s a freak. A freak athlete. A pretty big solid guy, but real atheltic with great hips. He covers like any regular corner, but he’s a safety.”

DeGabriel and Rian Davis are good friends, but now that Rian has committed to Georgia, DeGabriel has set his sites to the West, “Right now it’s Mani Tufono. He and I are talking and we’re pretty high on his list. Bru McCoy is still on my list. Justin Flowe, even though he’s a 2020. He’s my young bull. And Seth Figgins. He and I talk every day at school about going to Texas.”

2019 ATH McKel Broussard

As we reported before, McKel really impressed the coaches with his play during the camp. Right now, the coaches are trying to figure out WR numbers, but if there is room, they will be giving McKel an offer.

What was it like out there? “It was wonderful. The atmosphere was amazing, the stadium was one of a kind, and the former players and coaches coaching me up — it was amazing.”

Quick Hitter | ILB Prospect Sets Commitment Date
– Will Baizer

Punahou (HI) ILB Maninoa Tufono sets his commitment date for August 6th. Now that Texas will be down to – at the very least – one scholarship ILB in 2019, Tufono is a can’t miss prospect for the staff.

As we first reported last week, Texas is the leader. We still feel that way.

The schools that really have a shot are Texas, USC, and Washington. I have been told that Washington is focusing on ILB Daniel Hemuli. USC currently has seven ILBs going into the 2019 season. With all of this, Texas has really put the pedal to the metal and worked a lot of angles with Tufono.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Tweeted this out of the blue a month ago:

I speculated that there were character or grade concerns at the time, but maybe new shit has come to light.

He's from Forest, MS.  We'd probably have a better chance of getting Corky from Life Goes On academically qualified.

• Like 2

Yep, Super K thinks he pushes his decision back. That was also before Urban was put on leave.

I’m from the midland Odessa area, my brother knows him. I don’t think he was picking Ohio state anyway because he doesn’t want to RS. He’s going to take the rest of his 3 OVs to Texas and OU during the season. Forgot the other place. He told my brother that Baylor offered him as a qb but he doesn’t want to play qb. My brother is selling him shoes and said if he picks Texas he will give them to him for free. So thank him if it goes down in texas’ favor. I asked him what position Texas is recruiting him at and he said WR. He’s obviously pushing back his decision

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

So Breckyn Hager follows a College Football IG Fan Page I follow. He comments all the time and sometimes the owner of the page interviews him. Well there was a post today with the caption “The only three active coaches with a national championship” and it had a photo of Jimbo Fisher, Nick Saban, and Dabo. Breckyn vaguely commented “Also the coaches who seduce HS players with money”.  

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, AndThenIWentToTexas said:

Any one see this?

https://i.redditmedia.com/WiYx7dG9pAOKuP2e3LV42i118U5FsrSphyCSKYB8mxQ.jpg?s=181d84073dc303d75a656e1b8d658194

Tomorrow's date is on the bottom. Maybe we are announcing he is coming on as part of the staff?

The Texas football social media accounts posted that and this:

DjiJyUmU8AE_jO4.jpg

Tell your brother not to tell you if he gives him free shoes so you don't post it on messageboards 

Lolz he was joking. Unfortunately my brother as no physical gifts, just academic so he has to pay his way to UT. Hence selling the shoes.

If you’re reading this NCAA I have ebay receipts for shoes or if he chooses OU I have proof it was used to their benefit.
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

So Breckyn Hager follows a College Football IG Fan Page I follow. He comments all the time and sometimes the owner of the page interviews him. Well there was a post today with the caption “The only three active coaches with a national championship” and it had a photo of Jimbo Fisher, Nick Saban, and Dabo. Breckyn vaguely commented “Also the coaches who seduce HS players with money”.  

They left Urbz out too.  Ha.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Well, damn. I don't think Orlando or the Texas fanbase is going to regret getting Tufono one bit, but if it really is the case of one or the other, I can see why Chris Petersen liked this guy.

10 hours ago, utexas8 said:

So I’m guessing no chance he gets fired for this

I thought no way Urban gets the boot, after talking with my son (student @ tOSU) a few new items came to light...  Son convinced me he’s gone/knows a lot of big donors/tenured admin.

Urban stepped all over himself on this one & yes, if he’s indeed resigned come Friday... recruiting will take a huge hit.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

This is hilarious. I knew immediately once the Urban news came down, that aggy would be jizzing themselves with the thought that they now own one of only THREE active coaches with a Natty Ring.

19 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Well, Tufono just got CB'd to USC by Steve Wiltfong.

Either Fong has a wayward source or our 9.95ers just got de-pantsed.

Or USC swooped in and changed Tunono's mind

Fong doesn't bat 100%, we'll see 

11 hours ago, rickyspub said:

If he goes to OSU or aggy or OU or New Mexico State, basically anywhere but UT, then I have no reason to want to see him succeed in football. If they aren't a Horn, then I hope they suck at football, get their degree, and go on to be a pro in something other than football. If he has a change of heart and comes here then I hope he is a great player and ultimately makes millions in the NFL.

An opinion that should be universally held, but strangely, isn’t. 

(Steve Wiltfong) 247Sports Crystal Ball Forecast: Top247 LB to USC

After talking to a source with knowledge of the situation, I put in a 247Sports Crystal Ball Forecast in favor of USC for Top247 linebacker Maninoa Tufono. after talking with a source on Wednesday evening. The Honolulu (Hawaii) Punahou standout plans to announce his college decision on Aug. 6. His finalists include UCLA, Texas, LSU, Washington and the Trojans. The industry-generated 247Spots Composite ranks the 6-foot-3, 225-pound Tufono as the nation's No. 6 inside linebacker and No. 151 prospect overall.

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Game theory play by Wiltfong on a commitment that could go in a number of directions. 

As long as Tufono still visits Austin on September 15, I'm fine with whatever he announces.

I also strangely feel better about it if he commits to USC over UW. Is that foolish?

He is a lotto ticket. I will believe it when it happens. For now until ESD he is gone to me.