Texas recruiting notes 2019

EJ after dark: New Crystal Ball pick in for Texas

— I put in a Crystal Ball pick for four-star Buford (GA) running back Derrian Brown to land at Texas today. As I’ve been reporting, Texas is making a really strong push here. Area recruiter Jason Washington has had several productive conversations with him, and he is expected to visit for the game against USC. With Auburn exploring other options, the door is open for UT to hit a homerun on his trip and close the deal.

— Texas extended an offer to four-star 2020 Atlanta Carver (GA) running back Jo’Quavious Marks this week. Both Stan Drayton and Bryan Carrington have spoke to him, and I’m told there is legitimate interest here. Marks knows Texas commit Kenyatta Watson II and plans to make a visit this fall. Marks actually wants to make a decision in December, and I feel like Texas can be a true threat.

— I moved my Crystal Ball pick from Texas to Oklahoma for junior college defensive lineman Jacoby Jones today. Oklahoma extended an offer last weekend and really blew him away on his visit. Right now, I feel like the Sooners are in the pole position. However, there is still time for Texas to regain momentum as Jones plans to make an official visit this fall and wait until December to pull the trigger.

— I did not mention it earlier in the week for certain reasons, but Odessa Permian athlete Peyton Powell was looking to make a visit to Texas on Monday. Things fell through, but this is a recruitment worth keeping tabs on. Powell wants to visit Texas in the fall, and it looks like he is going to push back his decision timeline due to the Ohio State situation.

46 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Could be Tyler Owens or the RB from Georgia. Probably not the RB though, given that he hasn't visited, to my knowledge.

Or a 2020, like Mookie Cooper

Yeah I'm guessing Owens or a 2020 guy.  Like you said, Brown hasn't even visited.  

EJ after dark: New Crystal Ball pick in for Texas

— I put in a Crystal Ball pick for four-star Buford (GA) running back Derrian Brown to land at Texas today. As I’ve been reporting, Texas is making a really strong push here. Area recruiter Jason Washington has had several productive conversations with him, and he is expected to visit for the game against USC. With Auburn exploring other options, the door is open for UT to hit a homerun on his trip and close the deal.
— Texas extended an offer to four-star 2020 Atlanta Carver (GA) running back Jo’Quavious Marks this week. Both Stan Drayton and Bryan Carrington have spoke to him, and I’m told there is legitimate interest here. Marks knows Texas commit Kenyatta Watson II and plans to make a visit this fall. Marks actually wants to make a decision in December, and I feel like Texas can be a true threat.
— I moved my Crystal Ball pick from Texas to Oklahoma for junior college defensive lineman Jacoby Jones today. Oklahoma extended an offer last weekend and really blew him away on his visit. Right now, I feel like the Sooners are in the pole position. However, there is still time for Texas to regain momentum as Jones plans to make an official visit this fall and wait until December to pull the trigger.
— I did not mention it earlier in the week for certain reasons, but Odessa Permian athlete Peyton Powell was looking to make a visit to Texas on Monday. Things fell through, but this is a recruitment worth keeping tabs on. Powell wants to visit Texas in the fall, and it looks like he is going to push back his decision timeline due to the Ohio State situation.

Getting tired of the DL misses. Man up!

36 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Hire a recruiting ace to "coach DEs" and let Giles do his thing when they get on campus. 

He's a great coach, poor recruiter. None of this new. Herman can either get Giles some help, or replace him. Surely if we understand this, Herman does as well. 

First I’m hearing any of this

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Giles being a good coach is something that has been repeated so much people actually believe it. 

Because he is. If you can't look at how much better the DL was between 2016 and 2017, then you are just a fucking retard with an axe to grind.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

This thread appears to have been Giles'd for the rest of the day. Much like the basketball board occasionally gets Derka'd.

It’s pretty simple. No one here would like to discuss Giles on a regular basis. If Giles wasn’t a fucking piece of shit when it comes to his recruiting responsibilities, he’d get mentioned about as often as Corby Meekins or Drayton and it would be innocuous. But that’s not what is happening. He’s lazy on the recruiting trail, and he hurts the program with his sloth. As compensation for that deficiency as fans, because people want to think they’re coaches are awesome and their HC as infallible as possible, a narrative gets spun and repeated about the coaching prowess that is outsized to the results. 

Giles isn’t even a functional waterhead as a recruiter. He’s an okay coach. Overall, he’s a net deficit for the staff and when following recruiting as much as we all do, it gets hard to just ignore this guy’s fucktardery as often as it is thrown in our face. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Because he is. If you can't look at how much better the DL was between 2016 and 2017, then you are just a fucking retard with an axe to grind.

I agree. The DL was so much better from 2016 to 2017. I credit Todd Orlando. You credit Giles. 

8 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

I swear there is a fucking Oscar Giles bat-phone at CTJ’s home. 

I’ve said very little on him for virtually a month. I get tired of watching you guys lament then apologize for him, though. If you want to talk about him, then, fuck it, I’ll chime in when I feel like it. Did I bring the motherfucker up? No.  I’ll do it with him, Mehringer, and Warehime in recruiting any time I feel like it when you guys can’t help yourselves. I despise the fact that any of those three guys are involved with our recruiting and I’m happy to have it come up, again, in the reports fed into Belmont by the interns. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Then its the kid who just got his scholly for winning fastest man at Stars at Night. Name evades me.

Tyler Owens, Plano East, broad jumped 11 feet or something, ran a 10.34 100.

I think it's him, too.

Edited by Machinator