Texas recruiting notes 2019

EJ:

I said I wouldn't put in another CB for David Gbenda until I knew what he was truly going to do. Right now, I have reason to believe that Gbenda is done flip flopping around and that Texas holds a firm lead. As I reported a couple of days ago, Orlando had a good talking with Gbenda and is really pressing him. I said this recruitment wouldn't last until December, and I stand by that.

Comment:

I don't think it will happen this weekend 

7 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

What is everyone's thoughts on Gbenda?  His hudl looke pretty impressive IMO.  Looks good sideline-to-sideline and plays good agains inside runs.  Yeah he needs to add weight to his 212 lb. frame.

Based on his size, he's your cliche TCU LB. If he were a better athlete, this would be a really easy take. 

Gbenda seems like a good take. I'd be worried if he was the best LB in the class but he's not. If we grab one more top national LB i.e. Tufono that's a really good class imo. 

Realistically I don't know that we'll ever be super good at LB recruiting just because of how bad LBs are in state. I'll be happy with 1-2 solid but unspectacular player and 1-2 elite guys yearly. 

Higgins is a poor man's Bru McCoy. He could be a solid starting WR, but he'd probably be 1st All Big 12 if he'd play linebacker. Similar thing with the tweener WR/TE from Fort Worth that A&M was looking at earlier. I think there's plenty of LB talent in state, but it doesn't want to play LB.

Edited by IDIOTsavant
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Exactly. We might not get a bunch of these guys, but we're going to come in 2nd, and that's pretty awesome in my book. Like we might not have the most gold medals, but we're leading the total medal count because of all the silvers and bronzes we have. It's pretty fucking cool. 

Mensa. It's all part of the plan.

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

What is everyone's thoughts on Gbenda?  His hudl looke pretty impressive IMO.  Looks good sideline-to-sideline and plays good agains inside runs.  Yeah he needs to add weight to his 212 lb. frame.

Solid Big XII linebacker who can play early, high floor. Those guys aren't always easy to find. 

1 hour ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Higgins is a poor man's Bru McCoy. He could be a solid starting WR, but he'd probably be 1st All Big 12 if he'd play linebacker. Similar thing with the tweener WR/TE from Fort Worth that A&M was looking at earlier. I think there's plenty of LB talent in state, but it doesn't want to play LB.

Higgins has been proving all spring and summer that he's a stud WR. He's a clear take for Stanford, Florida, and Texas, and might be a take for Ohio State. 

His junior hudl looks just ok, but he played injured all last year. He also ran a 4.50 40 at the Opening Finals.