Texas recruiting notes 2019

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

We really dodged a bullet with this guy. Can't believe he would come out and support domestic violence like this. 

Doesn't mean he supports DV, obviously he loves the school in general.  Guess all recruits who head to Cougar High must be BBW plumper hunters, right? 

3 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Ok.

Chris Hummer is still either a liar or a retard. A&M’s last conference championship was two full decades ago, in a conference far, far away. Ours was painfully long ago, too, but only half as long ago. 

This is a dumb take. A&M has won a conference championship every year since they joined the SEC.

I won’t even bring up their two National championships in 2015 and 2017.

Edited by Sgt. Slaughter

6 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

That article was blowing jimbo big time and he hasn’t even coached a game lol. They are acting like he’s had back to back 11 win seasons. After they suck dick this year that narrative will change.

It's really all they have to cling to. Let them enjoy it until he starts losing. The roller coaster fall will be fantastic this year and next.

12 minutes ago, horn_of_the_morning said:

I know many of you are gonna get triggered, but as good as our DL class was last year,  OU's was better and this year, there is no comparision. Unless we flip Leal, which also seems unlikely.

your right..might as well concentrate on the 2020 class

33 minutes ago, horn_of_the_morning said:

I know many of you are gonna get triggered, but as good as our DL class was last year,  OU's was better and this year, there is no comparision. Unless we flip Leal, which also seems unlikely.

Perkins, Tatum and Kelley vs. Ojomo, Coburn, Ossai and Carson?  Does not seem that that big of an edge to Gooner.  I believe Redmond is out with a heart ailment.  

Horns247 Recruiting Mailbag: Which recruits can Texas flip?

Every cycle one of our recruits flips elsewhere, but we also flip a kid down the stretch. Of the current commits, whom could you see ending up in someone else’s class? Which kid currently committed elsewhere do you think we have the best shot at flipping? — koolbreeze214

EJ: Man, basically every commit this cycle is really solid to Texas. If I had to pick one, I would go with an out-of-state guy like Marcus Tillman Jr. It will be interesting to see if schools in the southeast make bigger pushes for him this fall. Obviously, Texas is doing everything it can to flip DeMarvin Lealfrom Texas A&M, and I think that’s still a possibility. But I feel like Jaylen Ellis is a safe bet. If Texas makes a hard run at him this fall, I believe the Longhorns can flip him from Baylor.

Mike: It's tough to say who would flip elsewhere. I'd also say Tillman because he's out of state and new to the class. That said, I'm not sure it's fair to paint him with that brush just because we aren't that familiar with him. I'd also say that Jaylen Ellis is the best candidate to flip, but keep an eye on the push for Katy Taylor offensive lineman Andrew Coker if the Horns decide to take a third tackle.

Is the earlier than expected commitment by ILB Maninoa Tufonogood news for Texas? @BertPluymen

EJ: We’ll see. We are still hearing that both USC and Texas feel confident, or at least, very optimistic in earning a commitment from him. Tufono seems to be keeping things close to the vest and hasn’t informed either coaching staff of his decision. We should know more over the next 48 hours. With all this said, Todd Orlando and Jake Langi, who has strong Polynesian ties, have done a great job recruiting him.

Mike: I think Tufono is making sure his schools don't fill up. It's going to be a tense run up to his announcement, but we have reason to believe Texas feels very good about their standing in this recruitment. They have a lot of things to sell including depth chart and academics, and they made a great impression on him when he was in town this summer.

How would you rate the success of the Stars at Night event/weekend? A lot of big-time names didn’t make it, but obviously there were two big-time commits as well. — vinnyC40

EJ: You can’t be disappointed with it. Texas landed one of its biggest overall targets in Javonne Shepherd at a key position of need. The Longhorns also came away with a surprise verbal pledge from Florida linebacker Marcus Tillman Jr.. Like offensive line, linebacker is a premium position this cycle. On top of that, Texas had an opportunity to spend a ton of individual time with key 2020 targets like Bryson Washington, Jaylon Jones and Malik Hornsby. Texas also put itself in a prime position to land rising 2019 safety Tyler Owens after offering.

Mike: I think it ended up better than we expected. Landing Javonne Shepherd was the big news, and while we thought it would happen, we weren't sure when it would go down. Landing a guy like Tillman at a position of need was also big. Though he isn't the highest rated player, he was hand picked by Todd Orlando. Orlando has earned the right to be choosy with his players, so that says something about what he thinks Tillman can do in his defense.

Is Lewis Cine a dwindling possibility to commit due to Georgia? — Jakecooper

EJ: I feel like Georgia is in the lead right now, but Texas is certainly not out of it. A lot can change from here to October, and Cine is continuing to strengthen his bond with safeties coach Craig Naivar. On top of that, he will be back on campus on Sept. 15 when the Longhorns take on USC.

Mike: Texas does have the added advantage of being close to his location so that he can visit during the season. If they are going to close the gap, they certainly have the means to do so.

I understand Michael Henderson visited Texas. How do you have him rated compared to Hudson Card andMalik Hornsby? — No Mas

EJ: Henderson did visit and actually came away with an offer. I have him rated as an athlete as opposed to a quarterback. He does have a strong arm and moves well for his size, but he is still very raw as a passer. I love his athleticism and feel like he can be a monster linebacker at the next level. He also has the versatility to play tight end or fullback. He’s a really intriguing prospect.

Mike: I don't think he's necessarily being recruited as a quarterback. I think the Longhorns feel great holding a commitment from Hudson Card, and they did a great job with Malik Hornsby during Stars at Night. Henderson is a great jumbo athlete candidate, but I think they have their quarterback board worked out.

I feel like a lot of A&M’s success this cycle is because their guys are close like our class was last year. They also have commits that are friends with 2018 kids. Are no guys in-state close to our 2018 class? — Hookem757

EJ: Peter Mpagi is close to linebacker target David Gbenda and talks to him on a daily basis. I’m sure Roschon Johnson and Javonne Shepherd are working on him as well. D’Gabriel Floyd has been the vocal recruiter in a class full of quiet kids, but obviously, he’s out-of-state.

Mike: I think you're right about the first part. This class is growing closer, but it's more difficult with the class as spread out as it is. This is one of the downsides of recruiting so much nationally, but it can be overcome. It would be a much different story if Texas was winning big.

40 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Horns247 Recruiting Mailbag: Which recruits can Texas flip?

Hide contents

Mike: I think it ended up better than we expected. Landing Javonne Shepherd was the big news, and while we thought it would happen, we weren't sure when it would go down. Landing a guy like Tillman at a position of need was also big. Though he isn't the highest rated player, he was hand picked by Todd Orlando. Orlando has earned the right to be choosy with his players, so that says something about what he thinks Tillman can do in his defense.

Is that what we're doing now? Roach is taking lessons from Perroni.

2 hours ago, TankedBevo said:

I don't know but after watching his film, do want. Still want Cain or Sanders tho. 

Did we watch the same film? (and by 'film' I just mean HUDL clips)

It's... well, I was expecting more based on his rating.

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 1

As long as we close with Kayvon Thibodeaux, Zach Harrison, Ishmael Sopsher, Trey Sanders, Darnell Wright, Daxton Hill, Garrett Wilson, Clay Webb, Bru McCoy, Evan Neal, Faatui Tuitele, DeMarvin Leal, Dylan Wright, and Maninoa Tufono I am good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

What about when we landed Vince Young, Rod Wright, Roy williams, Malcom Brown, Cedric Benson, and Sergio Kindle?

This bullshit was not nearly as bad in the 90's.  I do not remember any of those guys pulling any foolishness other than releasing their top schools.  Dudes started making big money off recruiting in the late 90's and the old days of 80's SMU, aggy became irrelevant.  Ole Miss slipped by to say hi on twitter.  Tweeting from the locker room  FML.    

Edited by lemonandaturd

7 hours ago, Bevo said:

As long as we close with Kayvon Thibodeaux, Zach Harrison, Ishmael Sopsher, Trey Sanders, Darnell Wright, Daxton Hill, Garrett Wilson, Clay Webb, Bru McCoy, Evan Neal, Faatui Tuitele, DeMarvin Leal, Dylan Wright, and Maninoa Tufono I am good.

giphy.gif

7 hours ago, Bevo said:

Edited by Stoogey
My comments were directed towards Bevo who thinks charity golf tournaments are fucked up.