Texas recruiting notes 2019

7 minutes ago, Fud said:

He's basically the same prospect as DaShaun White, and Fatterson pushing for him is a hell of a defensive evaluation endorsement 

I expect a career pretty similar to Demarco Boyd's. He is undersized and not overly athletic. I think guys like Hobbs and Overshown are much more likely to contribute at linebacker.

6 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I expect a career pretty similar to Demarco Boyd's. He is undersized and not overly athletic. I think guys like Hobbs and Overshown are much more likely to contribute at linebacker.

They aren't remotely similar prospects

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Gbenda and Demarco Boyd are nowhere close to comparable prospects. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

What is everyone's thoughts on Gbenda?  His hudl looke pretty impressive IMO.  Looks good sideline-to-sideline and plays good agains inside runs.  Yeah he needs to add weight to his 212 lb. frame.

It’s not a very flashy highlight reel, but a few positives stuck out to me. Very good play recognition. Good balance and leverage in traffic, shedding blocks. Good pursuit angle. He wraps up well, but often too high. Not sexy but smart play.

Maybe he becomes more explosive this season with experience and confidence. 

45 minutes ago, Fud said:

Higgins has been proving all spring and summer that he's a stud WR. He's a clear take for Stanford, Florida, and Texas, and might be a take for Ohio State. 

His junior hudl looks just ok, but he played injured all last year. He also ran a 4.50 40 at the Opening Finals. 

Ok. Lots of schools will take McCoy as a receiver as well (us included). Doesn't mean he wouldn't be better at LB. Think the two players are the same in that regard. Just my observation.

E.J. Holland: Some weekend recruiting quick hitters

— I changed my Crystal Ball on Lewis Cine from Georgia to Foggy based on some things I heard about where he stands on their board. I also had a great conversation with Lewis when I went out to his practice on Thursday, and I just had a lengthy convo with him again today. Texas has been making him a priority and is giving him a ton to think about. He has a great relationship with Craig Naivar, who has been in constant contact with him. The two have been exchanging messages about fall camp throughout the weekend.

— I checked in with Mayfair head coach Derek Bedell, who had this to say about Texas safety commit Chris Adimora and how his offseason is going: "Chris is doing well. Like most DI guys, he is pressing a little and wants to make every play. But I would rather have that than the alternative. He is just a great kid and he wants the team to win so bad."

— I wrote last night that Texas could become a player with four-star 2020 Atlanta Carver (GA) running back Jo'Quavious Marks. And it looks like that is coming into fruition. I am told that Marks is set to visit Texas on Sept. 8 when the Longhorns take on Tulsa. Marks is looking to make a decision this calendar year, so keep an eye on him.

• Like 1

— I wrote last night that Texas could become a player with four-star 2020 Atlanta Carver (GA) running back Jo'Quavious Marks. And it looks like that is coming into fruition. I am told that Marks is set to visit Texas on Sept. 8 when the Longhorns take on Tulsa. Marks is looking to make a decision this calendar year, so keep an eye on him.

I know nothing about him, but I want Texas in on a guy named Jo'Quavious.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, satyanash said:

E.J. Holland: Some weekend recruiting quick hitters

Hide contents

— I changed my Crystal Ball on Lewis Cine from Georgia to Foggy based on some things I heard about where he stands on their board. I also had a great conversation with Lewis when I went out to his practice on Thursday, and I just had a lengthy convo with him again today. Texas has been making him a priority and is giving him a ton to think about. He has a great relationship with Craig Naivar, who has been in constant contact with him. The two have been exchanging messages about fall camp throughout the weekend.

— I checked in with Mayfair head coach Derek Bedell, who had this to say about Texas safety commit Chris Adimora and how his offseason is going: "Chris is doing well. Like most DI guys, he is pressing a little and wants to make every play. But I would rather have that than the alternative. He is just a great kid and he wants the team to win so bad."

God every note about Adimora makes me happy

EJ: Quick Sunday update on Tufono 

Spoiler

I'm starting to feel like it is going to be USC for Tufono. Still, he hasn't told the Texas staff no, which is a little weird since he has a close relationship with recruiting assistant Jake Langi, who has strong Polynesian ties. I wouldn't say Texas has lost optimism, but it looks like there is more confidence on the USC side with 24 hours to go until a decision. I haven't flipped my CB pick because we still haven't gotten a hard no that it won't be Texas. Looks like Tufono is really trying to keep everyone, including the schools, guessing.

Comment

Spoiler

Bootross said... (original post)

Nothing against u ej- just Fong seems to put in late and only when he gets word. Love for him to be wrong. On another note- the shh surprise or expected?

Like I said, both USC and Texas felt confident. Steve felt more confident in USC's confidence and everything else he was able to gather. He's great at his job and probably the guy I respect the most in this industry. I'm fine taking the L and giving him the W in a recruitment like this.

But Texas did/still feels optimistic about the situation. This isn't like an ordinary recruitment. Usually, the kid will tell the other finalists no — again I'm surprised this hasn't happened because of Langi's relationship with him. And I felt optimistic as well obviously as I put in the CB because of how well Texas recruited the kid, Langi's ties and what I heard out of Hawaii.

I think you can decipher the shhh based on what I've posted lately.

Also it's definitely sounding like the shhh is Gbenda

Edited by Bodacious Bevo
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Hide contents

I'm starting to feel like it is going to be USC for Tufono. Still, he hasn't told the Texas staff no, which is a little weird since he has a close relationship with recruiting assistant Jake Langi, who has strong Polynesian ties. I wouldn't say Texas has lost optimism, but it looks like there is more confidence on the USC side with 24 hours to go until a decision. I haven't flipped my CB pick because we still haven't gotten a hard no that it won't be Texas. Looks like Tufono is really trying to keep everyone, including the schools, guessing.

Comment

Reveal hidden contents

Nothing against u ej- just Fong seems to put in late and only when he gets word. Love for him to be wrong. On another note- the shh surprise or expected?

Like I said, both USC and Texas felt confident. Steve felt more confident in USC's confidence and everything else he was able to gather. He's great at his job and probably the guy I respect the most in this industry. I'm fine taking the L and giving him the W in a recruitment like this.

But Texas did/still feels optimistic about the situation. This isn't like an ordinary recruitment. Usually, the kid will tell the other finalists no — again I'm surprised this hasn't happened because of Langi's relationship with him. And I felt optimistic as well obviously as I put in the CB because of how well Texas recruited the kid, Langi's ties and what I heard out of Hawaii.

Welcome our new Nigerian overlord warlord?

Edited by billfromlaketravis

1 hour ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Hide contents

Comment

Hide contents

Would his latest reporting not make it Cine? He said georgia is not ready to accept Cines commitment.