Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It seems that we’ve not been able to gain much share in the Polynesian game, being late to that market. 

I say we cut our losses, do a swot and lessons learned, and become early adopters in the emerging market that is Micronesia. 

#SMT

They’re too small to play on the line.

9 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Serious question.  Has a position coach ever been fired for being a sub-par recruiter?  Y'all really think Herman is going to fire two position coaches because of recruiting shortcomings?

It isn't just the recruiting for Mehringer, he has sucked in player development too. The wr group has regressed 

Edited by utfan87
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Serious question.  Has a position coach ever been fired for being a sub-par recruiter?  Y'all really think Herman is going to fire two position coaches because of recruiting shortcomings?

He's already demoted him in effect by giving him shared WR duties with Meekins. What else is there left to do? 

11 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Mehringer has been terrible at everything he's done. Giles is a competent coach, at least. Beck being a shitty coach has a larger multiplier because he's a coordinator, but at least he's recruited well at one of the most important positions in the sport and given us access to Arizona. It's been curiously quiet on the Warehime front this offseason, but we haven't seen what he's done with the current TEs yet, and it's hard to find fault with the TE class we're going to bring in this cycle.

There's no excuse for Mehringer, though.

9 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Beck's Arizona ties have been huge this cycle. Smith was a huge land given the in-state misses at WR, and Liebrock as our first TE take was big as well with Stogner's rumoured jack-assery towards our staff and Cupp never being too interested.

Beck has been a pleasant surprise as a recruiter (even though Sam and Card were locks to the point that Mehringer/Giles probably could have landed them). 

I know that he's had a couple different position jobs. Was he any good at any of them? 

7 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Beck has been a pleasant surprise as a recruiter (even though Sam and Card were locks to the point that Mehringer/Giles probably could have landed them). 

I know that he's had a couple different position jobs. Was he any good at any of them? 

He was WR coach and passing game coordinator under Mangino at Kansas, back when they were good.

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

At both WR and DL, the common theme is that we're losing far too many in-state battles.

Whittington is our only major in-state win within those two position groups. OTOH we've lost Leal, Nana, Wilson, Higgins, and Wright, plus Mowry and Stripling who never showed interest. It's absurdly lopsided.

How much negative recruiting about us is aggy and others putting out there?  I know they are pushing secsec out the kazoo, so would love to find out how this is affecting us scoring these good recruits.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Well, ask Saban if his coaches would rather coach 4/5* players or 3* players.  End of discussion.

I think the assistants are on 2 year contracts so Herman wouldn't have to fire Mehringer. His contract will just not be renewed. 

I think Mehringer should be gone and so should warhime. Get a new wr coach, or move beck there. Meekins to TE. Open spot to a recruiting DL coach. 

Edited by RabidM
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, RabidM said:

I think the assistants are on 2 year contracts so Herman wouldn't have to fire Mehringer. His contract will just not be renewed. 

I think Mehringer should be gone and so should warhime. Get a new wr coach, or move beck there. Meekins to TE. Open spot to a recruiting DL coach. 

This. Jettison Meh and  Warehime, move Beck to WR and Meekins back to TE, and hire a competent OC and a Dline coach that can recruit.

Maybe this is my cognitive dissonance kicking in, but I don't care about recruiting as much this year.  I'm sick of losing and not much other than winning football games matters much to me.  

I'm bullish on the season and feel recruiting will be alright if we do what we need to do on the field. Beyond that there's not a lot of fucks to give.

• Like 2

EJ after dark: UT ready to make move with elite DL?

— While Texas missed on Maninoa Tufono today, the Longhorns remain in contention for fellow Hawaii prospect and four-star defensive lineman Faatui Tuitele. Right now, Alabama holds the edge in that recruitment, but a numbers crunch could reshape his recruitment. We’ve been told that Ohio State is second on his list, but the Urban Meyer ordeal is certainly going to have some affect. And that brings us to the school that’s in third right now — Texas. The Longhorns are in a sneaky good position here thanks to the situations listed above as well recruiting staffer Jake Langi, who has strong Polynesian ties. Tuitele will make an official visit to Texas this fall/winter and with a strong season, anything can happen here. 

— As we reported earlier today, Arkansas is making the harder push for Mansfield Legacy defensive lineman Taurean Carter and is in the best position to land him at this time. Carter wants to make a visit to Texas soon and is still looking to wait until October to pull the trigger, so there is time for the Longhorns to press and reshape his recruitment. Right now, however, it looks like the Longhorns are content with keeping in contact while exploring other options upfront.

— The recruitment of Carter could have an affect on elite safety target Jalen Catalon. I am still told that Texas has the advantage, but Arkansas is doing everything it can to get him onboard. Like Texas, Arkansas has offered him an opportunity to play both football and baseball. The Razorbacks also hold a commitment from his teammate Enoch Jackson and adding Carter would only help their cause. TCU is also in the mix here. It should be noted that Catalon is sticking to his January decision timeline.

— Looking for a deep sleeper along the defensive line this cycle? Look no further that Grayson (GA) product Isaiah Howard. He moved to Grayson from New Jersey this offseason, and I’m told offers will start to roll in very soon. I’m also told the 6-foot-4, 285-pounder is quick and athletic but very raw. Texas is aware of Howard and is taking a closer look at him.

19 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Reveal hidden contents

— While Texas missed on Maninoa Tufono today, the Longhorns remain in contention for fellow Hawaii prospect and four-star defensive lineman Faatui Tuitele. Right now, Alabama holds the edge in that recruitment, but a numbers crunch could reshape his recruitment. We’ve been told that Ohio State is second on his list, but the Urban Meyer ordeal is certainly going to have some affect. And that brings us to the school that’s in third right now — Texas. The Longhorns are in a sneaky good position here thanks to the situations listed above as well recruiting staffer Jake Langi, who has strong Polynesian ties. Tuitele will make an official visit to Texas this fall/winter and with a strong season, anything can happen here. 

— As we reported earlier today, Arkansas is making the harder push for Mansfield Legacy defensive lineman Taurean Carter and is in the best position to land him at this time. Carter wants to make a visit to Texas soon and is still looking to wait until October to pull the trigger, so there is time for the Longhorns to press and reshape his recruitment. Right now, however, it looks like the Longhorns are content with keeping in contact while exploring other options upfront.

— The recruitment of Carter could have an affect on elite safety target Jalen Catalon. I am still told that Texas has the advantage, but Arkansas is doing everything it can to get him onboard. Like Texas, Arkansas has offered him an opportunity to play both football and baseball. The Razorbacks also hold a commitment from his teammate Enoch Jackson and adding Carter would only help their cause. TCU is also in the mix here. It should be noted that Catalon is sticking to his January decision timeline.

— Looking for a deep sleeper along the defensive line this cycle? Look no further that Grayson (GA) product Isaiah Howard. He moved to Grayson from New Jersey this offseason, and I’m told offers will start to roll in very soon. I’m also told the 6-foot-4, 285-pounder is quick and athletic but very raw. Texas is aware of Howard and is taking a closer look at him.

Not even going to click. EJ has proven that he does not know a fucking thing and is one big clickbait factory. 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Not even going to click. EJ has proven that he does not know a fucking thing and is one big clickbait factory. 

Yeah EJ does not know anything. Anyway, that article states we are running 3rd for the Hawaiian DT and there is a DT in Georgia that we will perhaps offer after he commits to another school.

35 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Reveal hidden contents

Obvious troll is obvious. 

Another thing that has happened and this board doesn't want to admit is that we have run out of any sort of recruiting fuel from our succes during the 00s. I was in middle school when we lost to Bama in 2009 since then I have graduated college most of these recruits where in kindergarten tha last time Texas was a contender. 

30 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

If we win a lot of games he's not going to jettison his friends.  Here, a lot = 8 or more.

Don't worry. Howe and Chip will feel us another kool-aid laced practice report and by the end of the day, we'll all be in 'show me a loss' mode.

😐

Another thing that has happened and this board doesn't want to admit is that we have run out of any sort of recruiting fuel from our succes during the 00s. I was in middle school when we lost to Bama in 2009 since then I have graduated college most of these recruits where in kindergarten tha last time Texas was a contender. 

We’re still the wealthiest program in the country. When Mack left, then Strong, we were still discussed as the most desirable program in the country for a coach. It’s not like winning is the only thing that kids notice. We can’t use recent championships, but it’s not like high schoolers don’t know where Texas can/should be.
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

We’re still the wealthiest program in the country. When Mack left, then Strong, we were still discussed as the most desirable program in the country for a coach. It’s not like winning is the only thing that kids notice. We can’t use recent championships, but it’s not like high schoolers don’t know where Texas can/should be.

Recruits don't care about any of that. We are not winning and we are not putting kids in the NFL, that's what matters. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

Recruits don't care about any of that. We are not winning and we are not putting kids in the NFL, that's what matters. 

Well we did have the #3 class in the country last year. Recruits want to believe that all of that can potentially happen, and the in-state ones do generally want Texas to do well as long as it won't knock their career.

32 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Recruits don't give a shit about any of that. They want flashy uniforms and winning, and since we're never going to change our uniforms to clownsuits to appeal to them we better start fucking winning or we'll start racking up shitty recruiting classes on top of losing records. 

53 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

Yes. That isn't brought up at least 4-5 times a week on these threads by various apologists and former Charlie Strong and Mack Brown sycophants. Not at all. 

I can acknowledge that fact and understand that it plays a current role in our climate without agreeing that it is even a huge part of what we struggling with in recruiting. Mehringer and Giles sucking shit through a straw at the recruiting portion of their jobs is not the fault of the fact we haven't been contenders since 2009. Neither has Oregon, yet after a fuck ton of struggles they're recruiting well. aTm has never won shit, and they're recruiting well. Also, generally EVERYWHERE except WR and DL Texas is recruiting really well. You can't sit there and focus on woe is us, it's been so long since we've contended for shit, and that's why we suck at recruiting exactly 2 specific positions but everything else is great!

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2

Best case scenario is that we win 9-10 games this year.  If we win 9-10 games, that means we have a somewhat competent offense.  If guys like LJH and CJ have big years then it makes Meh look like a decent (LOL) coach in the process and a couple years under his belt at Texas.  

That could go one of two ways.  Either Meh finally figured shit out (doubtful) and should be kept on (HA!) or he's given a shot at middling level school (La Tech, Marshall, along those lines) to be a co-oc and we just don't renew his contract.

Hopefully option 2 happens so all the bitching, hand wringing, and fashion comments about Meh can finally stop polluting the recruiting board.

Edited by GlenFromTheMailRoom

Yeah, honestly we've sucked at TE and we are doing ok there. Our OL has been, well, you know. And we are doing ok there too. Outside of a lucky flash in the pan from Foreman, we have sucked at RB and we are doing ok there. LBs have somehow become the hardest thing on earth to find, and we are looking decent there. We haven't been the undisputed DBU for years, and we've got no problems there either. QB? Fine.

It's DL and WR. Aw fuck it. If anyone can't see that by now, jesus tittyfucking christ. Our brand sells itself to such a degree that if we can't pull guys in, the men in charge are not doing their fucking jobs.

Still a long way to go, but we are half way there. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, satyanash said:

It's not 'dumb', it allows you to properly evaluate a coach's ability to recruit.

No one would care if Mehringer or Giles were missing like this on OOS guys. OOS isn't our bread-and-butter, the state of Texas is. We expect our hit rate to be lower on OOS guys, that's just how it is. But when you're missing on in-state guys at this rate, especially guys who live so close to Austin, that's an indicator that something is wrong. If Mehringer and Giles were landing the top in-state guys they're expected to land, or at least half of them, we wouldn't care if they missed on 95% on the OOS guys.

I think if Texas hadn't been a shit-show for the past seven years, these two average/sub-par/whateveryouwanttoratethem recruiters may actually be landing a satisfactory amount of in-state studs.

Part of it's on them, part of it's on not winning and putting as many asses in the NFL early and often enough as we used to.

(Not that I'm opposed to necessary changes)

Edited by UncleBuck

The whole "kids weren't born during the last championship run" storyline is played out. How is that any different than the 2000's run? Texas hadn't done much of anything in the 80's & 90's at all and yet somehow strung together a really good run of football with kids that weren't born at the last championship and had lived through some poor UT teams.

Herman needs to have at least 8 wins this year and to show some material progress. If the O still absolutely sucks balls and if he and the staff sleepwalk on teams they feel they should beat (Maryland/Tech etc) then recruiting will have the wheels come off on the offensive side of the ball.

• Like 1

Meh, Jimbo is a one time national champion coach that's now coaching in the secsecsec, he's selling the "what we could be" with no on the field shit show YET. So of course kids are buying his bullshit, let's handwring everything if aggy goes 6-6 or 5-7 and no one decommits and he continues to get 4/5 star kids in. If Texas wins above the predictions and aggy has a bad year we all expect them to have then we will be fine because next year 2019 schedule for aggy is pretty tough and they could have back to back 6-6 or 5-7 seasons. Texas just needs to win 8-10 games this year and next and we will have anyone in Texas we want.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jester’s Inn said:

Did I miss Carrington's Shhh?   Was it Tufono or Wright and he just missed out?  Or is it someone else and if so, when?   Inquiring minds want to know.

You haven't missed it. It's supposed to drop sometime this month. Probably Gbenda or maybe Owens.

1 hour ago, Not a Sock said:

We all can count, you’re not dropping any kind of truth bombs.