Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

It was the my fiance and I's third anniversary of being together, so I was trying to spend the night with her.

Really? No comment on this?

I's? First person possessive? He's paid to write? Fucking "I's?" 

And he's trying to spend the night with his fiance on their third anniversary? Hasn't rounded third in three years? 

That's the most pathetic sentence in the history of professional writing.

• Like 4

All these 9.95ers really might want to spend more time on Surly (other than Bazier). E.J. seems disconsolate about his failing with Wright and his rep at 247. At Surly, we really don't give a fuck what they think they know, how their "CB" count turns out, how many Venti macchiatos one has consumed, or who has the best network of 7 v 7 handlers. We will make fun of them just the same. We don't fluff 9.95 egos at Surly. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Machinator said:

The most plugged in poster on this board has straight up told you (royal you) that Mehringer flubbed multiple major recruitments and gets more credit than he actually earned in the wins.

Even the 9.95ers, who are usually loathe to criticize coaches (except for guys with an axe to grind like Chip Brown), are all but saying Mehringer is underperforming.

If you are going to ignore all of this evidence and claim that we need more data, then that's willful ignorance on your part.

Is it really "willful?", seems sort of natural to me . . .

16 hours ago, ousux said:

Tito's is good and yes the really cheap stuff will do you wrong outside of moderation, (and who does that on gameday?) but you can find vodka that does the job without biting you in the ass for $20-25 bottle. The expensive designer shit is a waste of money imo..vodka really shouldn't have a strong taste and the flavored stuff is for women and children...

Costco has Kirkland brand vodka...

VODKA #1:
-American made (maybe from corn)
-distilled 6 times
-sold in a frosted glass bottle
-1.75 Liters
-$13

VODKA #2:
-French made (I think from grapes)
-distilled 5 times
-sold in a frosted glass bottle
-1.75 Liters
-$20

Once you have distilled it that many times, it's difficult to decipher what in the hell it was distilled from. Both are worth the price.

It may be just this simple: Herman had a staff at cougar high that recruited pretty well. He assumed they'd recruit pretty well here so he brought a lot of them with him. The difference is, Texas is the big-boy league and the competition is waaaay ramped up. "Pretty well" at Houston is just not cutting it here. The good news is, Herman isn't Strong-level dumb--he'll make needed changes next off-season. For one, he more or less promised his guys 2 years and they've had two years. Two, CDC will prod him to cut the deadwood and will make the resources available to go out and get better production. 

All that said, I guess it's possible we make a late-cycle push and flip a few high-star guys in areas of need. Then there's less pressure to fire the non-producers. After it all shakes out, I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. 

6 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Really? No comment on this?

I's? First person possessive? He's paid to write? Fucking "I's?" 

And he's trying to spend the night with his fiance on their third anniversary? Hasn't rounded third in three years? 

That's the most pathetic sentence in the history of professional writing.

I would imagine it’s difficult to round any bases when ball-gagged and tied up in the corner of the bedroom. The best he can hope for is to witness her playing ball with someone else.

2 hours ago, Jack Wilson said:

It may be just this simple: Herman had a staff at cougar high that recruited pretty well. He assumed they'd recruit pretty well here so he brought a lot of them with him. The difference is, Texas is the big-boy league and the competition is waaaay ramped up. "Pretty well" at Houston is just not cutting it here. The good news is, Herman isn't Strong-level dumb--he'll make needed changes next off-season. For one, he more or less promised his guys 2 years and they've had two years. Two, CDC will prod him to cut the deadwood and will make the resources available to go out and get better production. 

All that said, I guess it's possible we make a late-cycle push and flip a few high-star guys in areas of need. Then there's less pressure to fire the non-producers. After it all shakes out, I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. 

Pretty much my take on it.  Recruited exceedingly well at Houston and thought the same formula would work here.  Transition class was a major struggle, but made up for it during his first full class and assumed it would carryover to this one as well.  Didn't cut the dead weight, most likely out of loyalty and a false sense of security due to last years class.  Jimbo and A&M paid bank for a staff full of mercenaries and put their foot not only on the gas but through the floorboard.  Meanwhile, we're taking the slow, steady pace, which is very risky given the early signing period.  

In the end, I think we end up Top 10 in recruiting.  A&M likely top 5-7 and OU roughly the same.  TH will have to make some changes this off season and hopefully CDC will prod if he doesn't and ensure he's looking for bigtime assistants as opposed to comfort hires.

EJ after dark: What's next with WR recruiting?

— With the loss of Dylan Wright, Texas still has a glaring need at wide receiver. So what’s next? Well, Texas is still going to recruit Wright until he signs, but Marcus Washington is an elite level prospect that Texas is in contention and might be the highest rated pure wide receiver prospect left on the board. Washington recently pushed back his decision and is set to be back on campus on Sept. 15. Texas is going to make a strong push here, and I’m told Bryan Carrington has done a terrific job with him and his family. Texas is a dark horse in this recruitment.

— Texas is still in the mix for five-star Mater Dei (Calif.) athlete Bru McCoy. While his biggest upside is on the defensive side of the ball, McCoy could be a difference maker on the outside. Based on what we’re hearing, Texas is still running second to USC, which is the heavy favorite. It’s going to take an amazing season and a homerun on his official visit on Sept. 15 to lure him away from the West Coast. But Texas is doing everything it can here. 

— Texas offered a trio of wide outs during the evaluation period — Jaylen Ellis, Langston Anderson and Peyton Powell — and could make them bigger priorities with Wright off to A&M. Ellis remains committed to Baylor, but he is very open to Texas and has visited on multiple occasions. Anderson is very high on Texas and a stronger push would put UT in a prime position to land him. Powell planned to visit before the dead period, but right now, he seems OU bound.

— And then there is one of my favorite recruits, Elijah Higgins, who was supposed to pull the trigger this month but will likely delay his decision. My Crystal Ball remains on foggy since Higgins has become an enigma this summer. But I do feel like his interest in Texas has cooled as Stanford and Florida seem to have the edge. The longer this one goes, the better for Texas, but the Longhorns have a lot of work to do. Texas offensive coordinator Tim Beck has been heavily involved here and will try to get this one turned around.

— Last but not least, I don’t feel like Texas is a real option for Garrett Wilson. At least not right now. Despite the situation at Ohio State, he seems pretty solid to the Buckeyes. And we’ve been told if he does open things up, Texas A&M would actually have the inside track.

47 minutes ago, satyanash said:

EJ after dark: What's next with WR recruiting?

Hide contents

— With the loss of Dylan Wright, Texas still has a glaring need at wide receiver. So what’s next? Well, Texas is still going to recruit Wright until he signs, but Marcus Washington is an elite level prospect that Texas is in contention and might be the highest rated pure wide receiver prospect left on the board. Washington recently pushed back his decision and is set to be back on campus on Sept. 15. Texas is going to make a strong push here, and I’m told Bryan Carrington has done a terrific job with him and his family. Texas is a dark horse in this recruitment.

— Texas is still in the mix for five-star Mater Dei (Calif.) athlete Bru McCoy. While his biggest upside is on the defensive side of the ball, McCoy could be a difference maker on the outside. Based on what we’re hearing, Texas is still running second to USC, which is the heavy favorite. It’s going to take an amazing season and a homerun on his official visit on Sept. 15 to lure him away from the West Coast. But Texas is doing everything it can here. 

— Texas offered a trio of wide outs during the evaluation period — Jaylen Ellis, Langston Anderson and Peyton Powell — and could make them bigger priorities with Wright off to A&M. Ellis remains committed to Baylor, but he is very open to Texas and has visited on multiple occasions. Anderson is very high on Texas and a stronger push would put UT in a prime position to land him. Powell planned to visit before the dead period, but right now, he seems OU bound.

— And then there is one of my favorite recruits, Elijah Higgins, who was supposed to pull the trigger this month but will likely delay his decision. My Crystal Ball remains on foggy since Higgins has become an enigma this summer. But I do feel like his interest in Texas has cooled as Stanford and Florida seem to have the edge. The longer this one goes, the better for Texas, but the Longhorns have a lot of work to do. Texas offensive coordinator Tim Beck has been heavily involved here and will try to get this one turned around.

— Last but not least, I don’t feel like Texas is a real option for Garrett Wilson. At least not right now. Despite the situation at Ohio State, he seems pretty solid to the Buckeyes. And we’ve been told if he does open things up, Texas A&M would actually have the inside track.

Beck taking over the Higgins recruitment is probably good.

• Like 1

I feel like some people here forget where we came from. Mack used to lock in classes by now and was praised for it only to bite us and set the program back a decade. The luxury the Texas brand gives us is we can wait and kids will still want to come here.  You take the high end kids when you can, try and fill you needs early, look for the late bloomers and then work on flipping the commits you want and think there is a shot at later on. It's August... this crap belongs in November at the earliest.

13 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I feel like some people here forget where we came from. Mack used to lock in classes by now and was praised for it only to bite us and set the program back a decade. The luxury the Texas brand gives us is we can wait and kids will still want to come here.  You take the high end kids when you can, try and fill you needs early, look for the late bloomers and then work on flipping the commits you want and think there is a shot at later on. It's August... this crap belongs in November at the earliest.

The concern is over missing out on said high-end kids, not that we have only 15 commits in August.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jack Wilson said:

I just think we are a harder sell right now.  Even at Houston Herman had a winning football team.  I don't think anyone can gauge just how badly losing to Maryland, Tech and even Kansas the year before hurt this program.  ou is winning the conference and in the top 4.  aggies get a new snake oil salesman.  Fisher has kids buying in, but that is easier to do when you aren't defending your failures in the kids living room.  I still think kids want to come to Texas but we are a hard sell in the current environment.   If we can beat some top teams and not stumble against mediocre competition I think we will see recruiting turn in our favor.

The kids know our record the last several years.  I am sure it is pointed out repeatedly by our competition.  They have seen what this team has done.  Herman is going to have to show significant improvement before we earn the trust of these kids.

Jimbo is going to face the same thing after they go 6-6 or 7-5 the next two years.  The bloom will be off the rose by the end of 2020.  

With recruiting success breads success.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

"And we've been told" = "we also saw that he has recently followed the A&M WR coach"

• Like 1

Can't wait for the Merhinger apologists to explain away why Tim Beck having to take over the recruitment of Higgins is indicative of nothing. I'm sure it had nothing to do with him Shit Talking Colin Johnson to Higgins, Wilson, and their families. In completely an entirely unrelated news, long time Texas fan Garrett Wilson would basically run to Texas aTm sight unseen before he'd go play for Drew Merhinger. 

On the other hand, I'm hoping Beck hopping into the recruitment is the final signal that Herman realizes FauxHawk is a bad fit for what this program needs to succeed. 

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Can't wait for the Merhinger apologists to explain away why Tim Beck having to take over the recruitment of Higgins is indicative of nothing. I'm sure it had nothing to do with him Shit Talking Colin Johnson to Higgins, Wilson, and their families. In completely an entirely unrelated news, long time Texas fan Garrett Wilson would basically run to Texas aTm sight unseen before he'd go play for Drew Merhinger. 

On the other hand, I'm hoping Beck hopping into the recruitment is the final signal that Herman realizes FauxHawk is a bad fit for what this program needs to succeed. 

Is that less than 140 characters? Someone should tweet that at CDC.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yah, doesn't seem like a positive development for Merhinger.

Herman also needs to deploy The Carrington. Fuel that puppy up and go on tour. 

TFB OP

A Couple Georgia Running Backs To Visit Texas
– Andrew King

Texas is still looking to land a 2019 running back. For the 2019 and 2020 class, running back is a position of need.

In both 2019 and 2020 classes, there are the known targets: Sanders, Cain, Evans (20) and McClellan (20).

Texas has extended some offers to a few running backs from Georgia in the 2019 and 2020 class. A couple of those guys are set to visit Texas.

– TFB was first to report that Buford (GA) RB Derrian Brown would be visiting.

As we previously noted, Brown was hoping to make the visit to Texas for the USC come down. He reconfirmed that visit scheduled for September 17th. He tells me that coach Drayton and coach Jason Washington have been in regular communication.

As K noted in his “insider take” on Brown, Auburn was apparently the biggest threat to Texas for Brown. But talking to someone on the Auburn side, I’m told that they too are pushing for Noah Cain and may have slowed things down a bit for Brown.

Texas can take two backs. So, they’re likely in a better spot to take Brown and still wait on Cain’s December commitment date than Auburn.

Two Standing out for Jacoby Jones
– Super K

It wasn’t a huge surprise when JUCO defensive end, Jermaine Johnson, committed to Georgia, yesterday.

Texas had already made a move on another JUCO defensive end, Jacoby Jones (Butler CC). The Horns offered Jones back in May when he made an unofficial visit down to Austin.

Jones was planning on making a return unofficial visit to Texas a couple weeks ago for the Friday night recruiting event but decided instead to take in the OU BBQ the following Saturday. The Sooners offered Jones after the visit.

I spoke with Jones immediately after that visit.

Jones is a December grad and says he will make a decision following his official visits. So far he’s only taken one official visit which was to North Carolina State. But he says he will likely take at least three of his four remaining official visits this fall. He plans to visit Texas, OU and possibly Texas Tech or Oregon.

Jones is in camp and is limiting his contact with media.

But, immediately after the visit, I did ask him if there were any schools standing out and he said, Texas and Oklahoma

So, as of now, this appears to be another Red River battle.

I can tell you, having seen Jones in person, he’s well put together. Every bit of 6’3 and a muscular 250 lbs. He certainly looks the part and after a few months in a college S&C program, he’ll definitely look like an NFL defensive end.

RANDOM WHATNOTS

Texas is looking to take two to three more linebackers. They’re sitting in a good spot at the moment for David Gbenda. I did speak to someone on the TAMU side and was told that TAMU will not have a place for Gbenda. Though I don’t think that would’ve mattered.

***I recently had a conversation with 2020 ultra-athletic WR/RB, Mookie Cooper (St. Louis). I’ll have a full update on him shortly but wanted to pass along an exciting note.

Cooper tells me he will take a return visit to Texas for the USC game.

And he will be with his teammate and friend, 2019 WR, Marcus Washington (did I not tell y’all Texas was going to get a crack at this one?).

Cooper is an unbelievable talent. Texas needs weapons like Cooper to take the championship step on offense.

Eyes of Texas on a new JUCO Linebacker
– Super K

I know everyone is curious about the linebacker recruiting. As I mentioned in the comments section, in a previous post, JUCO LB and Tennessee commit Lakia Henry is a guy Texas continues to recruit.

Another guy worth keeping an eye on is Caleb Johnson (Fullerton College).

Johnson doesn’t yet hold a Texas offer but has begun to have some initial communication with Texas, “I talked to the director of recruiting, Bryan Carrington and then coach Orlando”.

While Johnson is currently committed to Iowa State, he said if Texas wants to bring him down on a visit this season, he’ll “definitely” make the trip.

Johnson is another run and hit guy who looks like he can play multiple positions in a 34 defense.

https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/08/open-post-wednesday-august-8th/

36 minutes ago, lonestar3 said:

Is that less than 140 characters? Someone should tweet that at CDC.

I give you the 10 peso version:

You are very great! One Hundred Thousand Pesos, if you come to Santo Poco, put on show, stop the... I put, infamous, Drew Mehringer!

Edited by South Austin
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

You know who got away with deploying this strategy to great avail? Bobby Bowden. So maybe if Herman rolls off one of the greatest 35 year runs in CFB history he can take his sweet time watching the 5 stars and top 100 national guys commit to whoever they like before he hunkers down with them the two weekends before signing day and has like 8-10 of them flip to him when the faxes roll in. See also: Nick Saban. Until then, I'd prefer we not start from ahead, then fall dramatically behind due to insouciance and/or incompetence, and hope multiple variables swing to our advantage between September and February. 

I'll say it again: anyone arguing in favor of anything positive regarding Drew Mehringer is either anti-Texas or utterly lost. Anyone defending Oscar Giles' recruiting, particularly if they're referencing guys credited to him by 247, is showing themselves as lost and they should read more, learn some shit, and then come back to post again after figuring out how to spare the rest of us some time.

This isn't about the 15 commits or how we numerically finish. Nor is it about ATM's current class by comparison. This is about not winning top targets in-state that we normally would and should. Excuses for the myriad misses is nothing short of equivocation. If you need to do that to make yourself feel better, have a ball. Putting it out here as some sort of voice of reason for the rest of us merely reveals to us that you haven't been paying attention or that you're a direct descendant of Pollyanna, and her spirit lives on through your posts.

22 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

This board will spontaneously combust if we lose out on Wilson twice because of Meh, with the second being to aggy.

Not buying for a second that Garrett Wilson is enamored with aggy. 

Why are people so quick to jump on board and believe EJ just hours after he proved he is completely out of the loop this cycle. He has no clue what is going on. But the second he reports something outlandish and negative for us it’s taken as the gospel.

Fuck that guy and fuck aggy. 

Edited by RadiologyHorn
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, RadiologyHorn said:

Why are people so quick to jump on board and believe EJ just hours after he proved he is completely out of the loop this cycle. He has no clue what is going on this cycle. But the second he reports something outlandish and negative for us it’s taken as the gospel.

Why? A fuckton of other recruits are. Do you think he's interested in Texas? Certainly doesn't seem like it when you consider his quote about our history of signing top recruits and regularly seeing them underperform and fail to develop and get drafted early. Those aren't the words of a guy who wants to come to Texas.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RadiologyHorn said:

Why are people so quick to jump on board and believe EJ just hours after he proved he is completely out of the loop this cycle. He has no clue what is going on. But the second he reports something outlandish and negative for us it’s taken as the gospel.

It's not just an EJ thing, it's the fact that Wilson's first follow on the Twitters since this whole Meyer thing has gone down was the A&M WR coach, who apparently is some WR recruiting whisperer. 

16 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Why? A fuckton of other recruits are. Do you think he's interested in Texas? Certainly doesn't seem like it when you consider his quote about our history of signing top recruits and regularly seeing them underperform and fail to develop and get drafted early. Those aren't the words of a guy who wants to come to Texas.  

Yah, he's all about going to Texas A&M so he can be the next Ricky Seals-Jones!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Can't wait for the Merhinger apologists to explain away why Tim Beck having to take over the recruitment of Higgins is indicative of nothing

Another swell five pages on this thread will ensue. Four people will be loving the shit out of it. Congrats?

25 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This is about not winning top targets in-state that we normally would and should.

Its been many, many years since I felt we were "normally" winning top in-state targets.  Last year stuck out and felt nice to finally get some.

I am certainly not saying there are not some very glaring recruiter issues which have been well worn here, but last years class with this staff was a breathe of fresh air in regards to in state recruiting.

If Wilson doesn’t sign with OSU, he’s going to aggy. Just accept it now.  

When we win this year and win bigger next year with Collin and LJH being high draft picks, then we may pick up these kind of guys. But....as been mentioned many times in this thread, our WR recruiting isn’t exactly an issue and may actually be one of our strengths.