Texas recruiting notes 2019

10 hours ago, PR7 said:

On the OU side, TFB said that they are in the running with Wilson and it seems like before he would consider Texas. Hopefully Mehringer gets fired, and Wilson isn't an early enrollee

They brought in Mayfield originally to help with this recruitment. Mehringer won't be here next year and Wilson is an EE. The timing sucks. 

16 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Sweet.  He likes a school whose coach is probably going to get fired.  

Is Miami supposed to be good this year?  Need the Ogre to stumble out of the gate and have Miss. State slap them around again like last year.  They can still beat aggy at the end of the season though.

48 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

I dont think Mehringer or Beck is a problem for Wilson. It is my understanding it has more to do with his lack of belief in the offense as a whole and whether the offense will be good enough to showcase / develop his skills for an NFL career. 

Sometimes it’s better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you’re an idiot than to open it and remove all doubt. 

Or something like that...

I’m still working on this self discipline as well.

14 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Sometimes it’s better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you’re an idiot than to open it and remove all doubt. 

Or something like that...

I’m still working on this self discipline as well.

Given our offense's performance over the last few years, I wouldn't say Wilson's comments make him an idiot. I disagree with him but I understand where he is coming from.

20 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Given our offense's performance over the last few years, I wouldn't say Wilson's comments make him an idiot. I disagree with him but I understand where he is coming from.

May have been reading him wrong but I believe he was calling you an idiot lol. 

• Like 2

I have been thinking this same thing. Would love to bring him aboard at WR coach. Add Kingsbury as the OC once he gets fired and you suddenly have a dream staff. 

All my Tech insiders told me he would have with a loss the the good guys. They had a plan in place but that W bought him another year.

Mayfield is now an OU legend and a Cleveland Brown JFF wannabee.  I don't imagine many true Texans, especially Texas fans give a shit about his opinion or his substandard college education.  He may have a lot of money, but he is still a whiney pussy that runs from the police rather than manning up.  Take your fucking cuffs like a man, hire a lawyer and move on.  That dude was a crying sniveling pussy to those Arky cops and he always will be.  Pussy.   

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Can't wait for the Merhinger apologists to explain away why Tim Beck having to take over the recruitment of Higgins is indicative of nothing. I'm sure it had nothing to do with him Shit Talking Colin Johnson to Higgins, Wilson, and their families. In completely an entirely unrelated news, long time Texas fan Garrett Wilson would basically run to Texas aTm sight unseen before he'd go play for Drew Merhinger. 

On the other hand, I'm hoping Beck hopping into the recruitment is the final signal that Herman realizes FauxHawk is a bad fit for what this program needs to succeed. 

Afuckingmen.  We have it on what I consider good authority that Mehringer is toxic, ineffective and Old Testament level idiotic.  As Jason Robards says in A Boy and His Dog, "To the farm."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

If we get back in on Wilson that would be nice, but if not, I would throw everything at Mookie Cooper and Marcus Washington.  Roll out the red carpet, money, pussy and more pussy.    Just kidding.  

Like a friend of mine used to say, "Bait 'at trap with pussy, you gon catch me ever time."

EJ after dark: Texas taking closer look at JUCO options

— I mentioned Fullerton College linebacker Caleb Johnson as a prospect that Texas was showing interest in a couple of days ago. According to a source, interest has increased, and it wouldn’t be surprising to see the Longhorns put an offer on the table. The JUCO product is currently committed to Iowa State, but he is still open to other options, and Texas would certainly pique his interest.

— Another JUCO recruit on the radar is four-star Iowa Western C.C. defensive end Chester Graves, who is actually the nation’s top ranked junior college prospect. With that said, Graves only holds half a dozen offers, so there is still time for Texas to throw its hat in the ring and become a player in his recruitment.

— We’ve mentioned Independence C.C. defensive end Kuony Deng in the past, and he remains an offer candidate as well. Deng visited Texas earlier this summer for the Heat Wave event and is looking to make a return trip to Austin at some point this fall. Deng holds 10 offers at this time and is very high on Texas A&M and Virginia Tech.

— Texas hasn’t shown interest yet, but Stephan Zabie is a name you’ll remember. The former four-star Austin Westlake offensive lineman left UCLA this offseason and is set to enroll in junior college with hopes of becoming a 2019 May graduate. Zabie would have three years of eligibility remaining and is one to monitor.

21 minutes ago, satyanash said:

EJ after dark: Texas taking closer look at JUCO options

Reveal hidden contents

— I mentioned Fullerton College linebacker Caleb Johnson as a prospect that Texas was showing interest in a couple of days ago. According to a source, interest has increased, and it wouldn’t be surprising to see the Longhorns put an offer on the table. The JUCO product is currently committed to Iowa State, but he is still open to other options, and Texas would certainly pique his interest.

— Another JUCO recruit on the radar is four-star Iowa Western C.C. defensive end Chester Graves, who is actually the nation’s top ranked junior college prospect. With that said, Graves only holds half a dozen offers, so there is still time for Texas to throw its hat in the ring and become a player in his recruitment.

— We’ve mentioned Independence C.C. defensive end Kuony Deng in the past, and he remains an offer candidate as well. Deng visited Texas earlier this summer for the Heat Wave event and is looking to make a return trip to Austin at some point this fall. Deng holds 10 offers at this time and is very high on Texas A&M and Virginia Tech.

— Texas hasn’t shown interest yet, but Stephan Zabie is a name you’ll remember. The former four-star Austin Westlake offensive lineman left UCLA this offseason and is set to enroll in junior college with hopes of becoming a 2019 May graduate. Zabie would have three years of eligibility remaining and is one to monitor.

Need a JUCO LB and DE.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Need a JUCO LB and DE.

I used to read that our entrance requirements were so strict it was hard to get JC's enrolled,  so we didn't pursue them.

Seems like the last few years we are able to get more in,  and this staff is for sure going after them.  

Did our entrance requirements change,  or were the previous staffs just to lazy to go after them?

15 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

I used to read that our entrance requirements were so strict it was hard to get JC's enrolled,  so we didn't pursue them.

Seems like the last few years we are able to get more in,  and this staff is for sure going after them.  

Did our entrance requirements change,  or were the previous staffs just to lazy to go after them?

Pretty sure you know the answer to that question, Laga. 

Mack Brown loved him some 4 year players. 

tenor.gif?itemid=4100026

12 hours ago, okiehorn said:

Hmmm Wilson quoted that Mehringer or Beck wasnt the issue... story doesn’t add up. TFB has the story. Someone may have already posted it. Do you think that’s legit? Everything I read says otherwise. 

Paraphrasing, TFB is saying they spoke to Wilson directly and he emphatically stated Mehringer was not an issue and he and Beck were his two faves on the staff.  Also sounded like unless there's a complete implosion in Columbus, meaning both Meyer and Ryan Day are not retained, he's sticking.  If he does eventually look around they expect Texas, OU and the new staff at Ohio St to be the main players.  No mention of A&M.

• Like 2

Are you familiar with Brian Davis?

1 hour ago, Stampeder said:

Paraphrasing, TFB is saying they spoke to Wilson directly and he emphatically stated Mehringer was not an issue and he and Beck were his two faves on the staff.  Also sounded like unless there's a complete implosion in Columbus, meaning both Meyer and Ryan Day are not retained, he's sticking.  If he does eventually look around they expect Texas, OU and the new staff at Ohio St to be the main players.  No mention of A&M.

That goes against some things I've heard.... on here. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stampeder said:

Yeah, they're going to give a reporter a quote like "we dropped Texas because their WR coach is a jackass"

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Fud said:

Yeah, they're going to give a reporter a quote like "we dropped Texas because their WR coach is a jackass"

Yah, I agree. They're also not going to go "yah those dudes were my favorite guys", either. And if there's one thing we've learned about Wilson, he'll give his opinion on something.  

I wanna believe Wilson hates Meh, that's the easier thing to fix,  but maybe, just maybe it really DOES boil down to Texas being a bowl of ass the past seven years on the field and in the draft. 

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Yah, I agree. They're also not going to go "yah those dudes were my favorite guys", either. And if there's one thing we've learned about Wilson, he'll give his opinion on something.  

I wanna believe Wilson hates Meh, that's the easier thing to fix,  but maybe, just maybe it really DOES boil down to Texas being a bowl of ass the past seven years on the field and in the draft. 

I mean, it's possible that he was looking for a reason to drop Texas and pick Ohio State, but this story wasn't made up out of thin air 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Fud said:

I mean, it's possible that he was looking for a reason to drop Texas and pick Ohio State, but this story wasn't made up out of thin air 

Whatever about all of that, I just don't understand why a kid like Wilson, who hasn't shied away from throwing some honest shade, is going to voluntarily offer up some BS about two coaches being his favorite dudes on a staff if it's the exact opposite. Now, I do understand why people #OnThisSite would not wanna believe it. Narratives. Forum's trusted insider sauce maybe getting something wrong. 

It'll be ok

17 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Whatever about all of that, I just don't understand why a kid like Wilson, who hasn't shied away from throwing some honest shade, is going to voluntarily offer up some BS about two coaches being his favorite dudes on a staff if it's the exact opposite. Now, I do understand why people #OnThisSite would not wanna believe it. Narratives. Forum's trusted insider sauce maybe getting something wrong. 

It'll be ok

It's info that's been around since a day or two after it happened and before he committed to Ohio State, not just on this site and the boards, whether the info didn't leak out until later. I could buy the argument that it was trending the wrong way after Wilson visited like five times during the spring and saw the offense look like shit, and got Urban Meyer driving that point home on his Columbus visits, and that Mehringer had a tougher recruitment on his hands than most admit, but again, this story hasn't been made up out of thin air, despite whatever the public stance is. Maybe they don't want Mehringer getting bashed publicly (for instance. Walker Little's dad told reporters that Warehime did a good job on his visit and they just liked Stanford more, when on reality his. Is it was a disaster), or maybe they don't want to burn the bridge in the event that they decide to flip to Texas after the season and after Mehringer has been jettisoned, idk 

28 minutes ago, Fud said:

Despite Longhorn94's optimism, it seemed to me like he was looking for a reason to pick tOSU. They've had a better program since 2005. However, maybe a strong season at UT and a problem season at tOSU could change things.

25 minutes ago, Fud said:

Walker Little's dad told reporters that Warehime did a good job on his visit and they just liked Stanford more, when on reality his. Is it was a disaster), or maybe they don't want to burn the bridge in the event that they decide to flip to Texas after the season and after Mehringer has been jettisoned, idk 

I get that, but we're talking Wilson. He's came out public with a negative quote about the program. I don't see this guy fluffing up two coaches he doesn't like. (and it also doesn't mean he really really loves him. Just could be they were the lesser of all of the evils in his mind).

I could be wrong, though, but I don't know any of you or them personally, but someone has the wrong info or is bullshitting. 

18 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I get that, but we're talking Wilson. He's came out public with a negative quote about the program. I don't see this guy fluffing up two coaches he doesn't like. (and it also doesn't mean he really really loves him. Just could be they were the lesser of all of the evils in his mind).

I could be wrong, though, but I don't know any of you or them personally, but someone has the wrong info or is bullshitting. 

Him echoing Urban's recruiting pitch about Texas not winning anything in years isn't necessarily the same thing as publicly confirming that an assistant coach fucked up a recruitment right before you committed, imo 

23 minutes ago, Fud said:

Him echoing Urban's recruiting pitch about Texas not winning anything in years isn't necessarily the same thing as publicly confirming that an assistant coach fucked up a recruitment right before you committed, imo 

Of course they're not the same, in how he came to believe or think or say what he said or didn't say, but that's semantics. I'm just saying he's not afraid to say something that isn't very complimentary of the program, so I don't know why he'd say what TFB is reporting he said if he feels the exact opposite. Because I doubt he'd think Meh was his favorite guy on the staff if Meh fucked up in the way that has been reported on here. 

Edited by UncleBuck