Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

16 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Can't wait till November once Beatty gets fired and hired by Herman.  

Sure hope that's what happens.  TH needs to fill the staff with superstars at every coaching position.  Oddly, it would take winning this year and definite progress to convince those types to join the staff.  Win at a decent clip and it makes ditching a few of the under performing coaches a less obvious move.  But, making the tough decision is what coaches like Saban do all day long.  We'll see if TH has it in him.  If he doesn't hopefully CDC does.

Edited by Stampeder

14 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I have been thinking this same thing. Would love to bring him aboard at WR coach. Add Kingsbury as the OC once he gets fired and you suddenly have a dream staff. 

Why would Kliffy come here to run Herman's offense when he can go work for some DC/HC who doesn't give a shit what happens in the offensive meeting rooms?

21 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

i have good news and bad news.

Good news: Wilson is not interested in Aggy.

Bad news: Wilson is still solid to OSU unless Urbs is fired.

In Texas news, yes, Mehringer told Wilson he was better than all of our current receivers right now and would be a starter at Z or X from day 1. It did not have the intended effect on Wilson or his parents. Good thing for Texas that Coach Naivar is Wilson's lead recruiter and has a great relationship with Wilson and his parents. I believe in Naivar. But think we need a little help from OSU along the way and beating USC would probably open the right eyes and ears.

Fuel for the fire.

14 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Why would Kliffy come here to run Herman's offense when he can go work for some DC/HC who doesn't give a shit what happens in the offensive meeting rooms?

The same reason Lane Kiffin went to work for Saban? Career resuscitation, melding of ideas, high profile gig that would land another HC opportunity if successful. 

Kingsbury was prepared to turn Herman down last year, as his camp doesn't see him as a good personality fit. We lost to Tech so it didn't matter. That's coming from the KK side of things, so not sure how much of that has been said to make KK look good or feel better. I see the point, though, so I doubt Kingsbury to Texas happens. 

1 hour ago, ousux said:

A harder sell? Jimbos biggest success was nearly 7 years ago, while Herman was a big part of a more recent national championship, beat Jimbo head to head with lesser talent, and even had a better record last year than Jimbos FSU team filled with back to back to back highly rated recruiting classes. Jimbo's FSU team limped into a bowl game they shouldn't have played in, aggy lost to a mid-pack ACC basketball school while we beat the team with the top offense in the SEC to end the season.

I'll concede aggy will have a better recruiting class than us this year because of the new coach bump, but if it continues...Houston, we have a problem.

I don't disagree with any of that.  But look how far you had to go to get there.   Kids need to be excited to come here.  Until Herman proves he can get close to the win totals he was having at UH getting top level recruits is going to be hard.  I hate playing the "if" card but IF we had won even two more games last year I think Herman and staff would find it a hell of a lot easier to get the kids to buy what they are selling and where they are going.  As it stands he is asking the kids to buy on faith.  I don't think Jimbo is going to be successful at aTm, even with a solid recruiting class this year.  Right now kids are buying Jimbo's shtick on faith.  But I also don't think walking into a kids living room and explaining to a kid why Jimbo will likely not be successful in the SEC when you yourself have not been successful at Texas gets you anywhere.  Right now Texas is the harder sell.  When Jimbo's 6-6 or 7-5 over the next 3 years his bullshit will start getting old.   We need to show huge improvement this year or we will be gnashing our teeth again next year.

Hell, if we really show improvement this year we may be able to flip some of these guys but we better show a big improvement.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

The success of the season seems to boil down to about one second of time. 

Given just another second to throw, Buechelle becomes a potentially deadly QB in this offense. Given that same second, Ehlinger in his second season may not be rushed into an error.

That second that allows a better passing game opens up the run game where maybe a hole stays open for a full second for the back to get through. A better functioning offense improves an already imposing defense.

If the OL can improve enough to provide just one second more, then the RBs and WRs will flow to us in recruiting. Today's recruiting battles were actually adversely impacted by poor recruiting and development of the OL years ago. 

Two coaching administrations in a row have been saddled and reined by this. More important than this year's WR haul is the transfer in of tackle Anderson and the development of the transition class OL.

Just get us one more second.

I second that.

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

You forgot my amazing, vintage smoking jacket. That being said I'm not sure anyone with 4 inch high waters, no socks with their loafers, and pleated dockers knakis and their woven belt is really someone who should be doling out fashion criticism...to anyone. And it's absurd to mock anyone for their fake Patrick Ewing style glasses when you sport a monocle. 

giphy-121.gif

I'm disappointed. I always envisaged ctj like this, trying to alert us believers to the horrors of Soylent Orange.

got damn this thread needs an enema.

season hasn't even started and we are already naming replacement coaches and OCs, some of whom are currently head coaches.  

we win, we get some flips regardless and in spite of some people on staff.  we lose, then all of this discussion is silly because we losing errbody.   we all should be praying that we kick ass this year.  that will decide everything.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Like 2

Hummer is back on drugs...

Jimbo Fisher is owning state of Texas recruiting in Year 1

Standing on the sideline at The Opening Finals in Frisco, Texas, Dylan Wright is holding court.

247Sports’ No. 69 overall player in the country isn’t participating at The Opening due to an injury, but plenty of players come over to chat up the four-star receiver. Wright, at 6-foot-4, is an imposing physical presence and comes with a personality to match. On this day, he’s talking to a reporter about the state of Texas recruiting while making bold statements. Most of them revolved around what the state of Texas could be in college football if the top athletes stayed home. But one of his quotes, in regards to first-year Texas A&M head coach Jimbo Fisher, stands out because it came mostly unprompted.

“He’s building something that will change the whole thing,” Wright told 247Sports.

Wright said this a few weeks before shocking many in the recruiting industry by committing to the Aggies. Only a single Crystal Ball prediction projected it, and Wright had previously been considered a Longhorn lean.

I wrote an in-depth piece about the recruiting war that’s ongoing in the Lone Star State between Texas and Texas A&M last week. Don’t expect that to end soon. But it's also important in the present to acknowledge the significant swell Fisher’s created in Texas. The Aggies own the nation’s No. 3 overall recruiting class in the 2019 cycle with Wright's commitment. They’ve owned the state, too. Texas A&M holds 11 verbal pledges from the state’s top 30 overall prospects, including four of the top 11.

This head-to-head battle between the Longhorns and Aggies is hardly even a fight at the moment.

Of the 16 in-state players who have committed to the two programs this cycle, 11 of them will call College Station home. The Longhorns hold commitments from just four of the top 50 players in the state. This is not to say Texas is struggling on the trail with the nation's 10th ranked class, but it does show the impact Fisher’s had early in his tenure on the state's recruiting landscape. Remember, it was only a year ago when Texas inked 11 of the state’s top 15 prospects and landed the No. 3 class itself. 

That's a drastic shift that can only be credited to Fisher.

“A lot of things changed at A&M,” said five-star offensive tackle Kenyon Green. “A little more swagger, a little more oomph to them. They’re trying to get there now. … It seemed like they wanted to win but they weren’t pushing as hard as Fisher is now.”

The 2019 cycle is far from over, and Texas A&M, which hasn't won a conference championship since 1998, must prove it can win. 

But recruiting at this level is the norm for Fisher.

His full-cycle recruiting classes at Florida State (excluding his half-year effort in 2010) averaged at fifth overall nationally. The state of Florida provides plenty of talent, but Texas’ borders produce no less than the Sunshine State annually. Yes, Fisher’s aided by being a first-year coach who can sell promise. Yes, it helps that the Aggies haven’t played a game yet. And yes, recruiting tends to be cyclical from class to class. But now the onus is on the other coaches in the state to keep up.

This is not a recruiting fluke for Fisher, and kids in the state have taken notice.

“He’s getting nothing but dogs,” Wright said

• Fuck You 1

13 minutes ago, RadiologyHorn said:

“A lot of things changed at A&M,” said five-star offensive tackle Kenyon Green. “A little more swagger, a little more oomph to them. They’re trying to get there now. … It seemed like they wanted to win but they weren’t pushing as hard as Fisher is now.”

You never hear this at other schools when they get new coaches. A&M is really on to something.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

Can't wait till November once Beatty gets fired and hired by Herman.  

Goddamn college football season is making us all wait for the next scintillating off season recruiting thread. GODDAMN IT!

Why do we have to waste all this time playing the games?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RadiologyHorn said:

Standing on the sideline at The Opening Finals in Frisco, Texas, Dylan Wright is holding court.

247Sports’ No. 69 overall player in the country isn’t participating at The Opening due to an injury, but plenty of players come over to chat up the four-star receiver. Wright, at 6-foot-4, is an imposing physical presence and comes with a personality to match. On this day, he’s talking to a reporter about the state of Texas recruiting while making bold statements. Most of them revolved around what the state of Texas could be in college football if the top athletes stayed home. But one of his quotes, in regards to first-year Texas A&M head coach Jimbo Fisher, stands out because it came mostly unprompted.

“He’s building something that will change the whole thing,” Wright told 247Sports.

Wright said this a few weeks before shocking many in the recruiting industry by committing to the Aggies. Only a single Crystal Ball prediction projected it, and Wright had previously been considered a Longhorn lean.

I wrote an in-depth piece about the recruiting war that’s ongoing in the Lone Star State between Texas and Texas A&M last week. Don’t expect that to end soon. But it's also important in the present to acknowledge the significant swell Fisher’s created in Texas. The Aggies own the nation’s No. 3 overall recruiting class in the 2019 cycle with Wright's commitment. They’ve owned the state, too. Texas A&M holds 11 verbal pledges from the state’s top 30 overall prospects, including four of the top 11.

This head-to-head battle between the Longhorns and Aggies is hardly even a fight at the moment.

Of the 16 in-state players who have committed to the two programs this cycle, 11 of them will call College Station home. The Longhorns hold commitments from just four of the top 50 players in the state. This is not to say Texas is struggling on the trail with the nation's 10th ranked class, but it does show the impact Fisher’s had early in his tenure on the state's recruiting landscape. Remember, it was only a year ago when Texas inked 11 of the state’s top 15 prospects and landed the No. 3 class itself. 

The 2019 cycle is far from over, and Texas A&M, which hasn't won a conference championship since 1998, must prove it can win. 

His full-cycle recruiting classes at Florida State (excluding his half-year effort in 2010) averaged at fifth overall nationally. The state of Florida provides plenty of talent, but Texas’ borders produce no less than the Sunshine State annually. Yes, Fisher’s aided by being a first-year coach who can sell promise. Yes, it helps that the Aggies haven’t played a game yet. And yes, recruiting tends to be cyclical from class to class. But now the onus is on the other coaches in the state to keep up.

This is not a recruiting fluke for Fisher, and kids in the state have taken notice.

As I've said many times.....all that glitters is not gold.  Talk is cheap...really cheap.

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Kingsbury was prepared to turn Herman down last year, as his camp doesn't see him as a good personality fit. We lost to Tech so it didn't matter. That's coming from the KK side of things, so not sure how much of that has been said to make KK look good or feel better. I see the point, though, so I doubt Kingsbury to Texas happens. 

I strongly doubt it as well.  If KK gets fired this year, he's headed to the NFL.

21 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

Kk isn't NFL material. KU coach is the next stop if he's a head coach again this next year or OC at a good landing spot. 

Have you seen half of the offenses in the NFL? Besides, Helfrich got an NFL OC job and he's hardly college football's greatest mind (nice guy, though).

20 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Have you seen half of the offenses in the NFL? Besides, Helfrich got an NFL OC job and he's hardly college football's greatest mind (nice guy, though).

I don't watch NFL honestly.  Heard Kyle The Wood Shanahan is a head coach now. 

Edited by Butch Had Not

36 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

Kk isn't NFL material. KU coach is the next stop if he's a head coach again this next year or OC at a good landing spot. 

It has not been an uncommon occurrence for NFL coaches and KK to spend off season time together exchanging thoughts pertaining to offense.  He has extensive NFL contacts.  

Other head coaching shortcomings aside, one must admit he's been pretty successful offensively.

4 hours ago, JBJ said:

You guys go total meltdown so easy.

If you are going to handwring over anything right now, make it the DL at least.

This is correct answer, IMO. We have commits from the number 7, 15, and 27 ranked WRs, per the 247 composite.

aggy has the number 22, 28, and 65 ranked WRs. If you count Harris, he would be ranked at around 23 based on the number system. 

Despite all of the recruiting dead weight on our staff, aggy's best WR commitment is ranked similarly to our lowest rated WR commit. Honestly, I'm more disappointed that we didn't get Tommy Bush than I am by anything that's happened with WR recruiting besides Garrett Wilson in this cycle. Plus, even if we weren't recruiting WR reasonably well in terms of rankings, you can't throw a rock in this state without hitting 2-3 really good receivers thanks to current offensive trends.

Defensive line recruiting, on the other hand, needs work. Sweat and Mpagi are all well and good, but not without some other players. This class needs someone like Leal to make me not worry about it - preferably two guys at that level. Does anyone really think we get Tuitele? Hopefully another kid like Ojomo pops up later, because DL recruiting needs a lot of improvement. 

Meanwhile, James Sylvester is probably tweeting out more photos of himself decked out Texas gear while Giles takes a nap in his office or something....

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, campcrunk said:

Meanwhile, James Sylvester is probably tweeting out more photos of himself decked out Texas gear while Giles takes a nap in his office or something....

And Branard Wright is working out or starting 2-a-days with a Texas shirt on giving a shout out to Texas with a hook em'.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RadiologyHorn said:

Blah blah blah I'm pretty sure I read this same article a few years ago. Building something, swagger, yada yada. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, okiehorn said:

Hmmm Wilson quoted that Mehringer or Beck wasnt the issue... story doesn’t add up. TFB has the story. Someone may have already posted it. Do you think that’s legit? Everything I read says otherwise. 

99.9% of the rumors that get posted here are complete bullshit. Since Herman came on board the recruiting connections have dried up.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

31 minutes ago, okiehorn said:

Hmmm Wilson quoted that Mehringer or Beck wasnt the issue... story doesn’t add up. TFB has the story. Someone may have already posted it. Do you think that’s legit? Everything I read says otherwise. 

I dont think Mehringer or Beck is a problem for Wilson. It is my understanding it has more to do with his lack of belief in the offense as a whole and whether the offense will be good enough to showcase / develop his skills for an NFL career. 

12 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

I dont think Mehringer or Beck is a problem for Wilson. It is my understanding it has more to do with his lack of belief in the offense as a whole and whether the offense will be good enough to showcase / develop his skills for an NFL career. 

yes correct, BUT all over the internet the rumor is Mehringer burned the bridge. Talking about former players leaving etc. So this says otherwise is all 

37 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Because when you think Urban Meyer power spread you think great receivers.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RadiologyHorn said:

Not buying for a second that Garrett Wilson is enamored with aggy. 

Why are people so quick to jump on board and believe EJ just hours after he proved he is completely out of the loop this cycle. He has no clue what is going on. But the second he reports something outlandish and negative for us it’s taken as the gospel.

Fuck that guy and fuck aggy. 

If it's not Texas or OSU for Wilson, I bet it's either OU or someone who contends for a title this year like Bama or Clemson. A&M won't be an option. 

• Like 1