Texas recruiting notes 2019

15 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Its been many, many years since I felt we were "normally" winning top in-state targets.  Last year stuck out and felt nice to finally get some.

I am certainly not saying there are not some very glaring recruiter issues which have been well worn here, but last years class with this staff was a breathe of fresh air in regards to in state recruiting.

The bar isn't 2010-2017 for the University of Texas. Once you get your head around that, your perspective and expectations are going to get a lot healthier. It's been a miserable 8 years, but I refuse to change my expectations. I was there when we ascended the pinnacle and there is no feeling like it for a fan. This is a program with every possible advantage within its reach - it's not my job as a supporter to lower my standards or expectations because Mack Brown got tired, entitled, and lazy, and Charlie Strong couldn't find his ass from a hole in the ground while wondering around campus with a 1,000 yard stare on his face. 

I'll take where Herman appears to be headed with this program, but his current wounds in recruiting are self-inflicted. 

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, RadiologyHorn said:

Not buying for a second that Garrett Wilson is enamored with aggy. 

Why are people so quick to jump on board and believe EJ just hours after he proved he is completely out of the loop this cycle. He has no clue what is going on. But the second he reports something outlandish and negative for us it’s taken as the gospel.

Fuck that guy and fuck aggy. 

Nahlin and Roach have both said that Wilson would consider A&M ahead of us if he decommits. And they said that before E.J. did.

The success of the season seems to boil down to about one second of time. 

Given just another second to throw, Buechelle becomes a potentially deadly QB in this offense. Given that same second, Ehlinger in his second season may not be rushed into an error.

That second that allows a better passing game opens up the run game where maybe a hole stays open for a full second for the back to get through. A better functioning offense improves an already imposing defense.

If the OL can improve enough to provide just one second more, then the RBs and WRs will flow to us in recruiting. Today's recruiting battles were actually adversely impacted by poor recruiting and development of the OL years ago. 

Two coaching administrations in a row have been saddled and reined by this. More important than this year's WR haul is the transfer in of tackle Anderson and the development of the transition class OL.

Just get us one more second.

• Like 1

Remember when it came out that Charlie was fucking that booster guy's wife at Louisville? I just remembered that. That was hilarious. Also I googled it to make sure I was remembering it correctly and this was the header of the first article that came up: 

Charlie-Strong-Tracy-Jonathan-Blue-800x4

Louisville Trustee Says Charlie Strong Had Affair With His Wife 

The editor that chose those pictures needs a raise. Anyways, that's how my Wednesday morning is going. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Remember when it came out that Charlie was fucking that booster guy's wife at Louisville? I just remembered that. That was hilarious. Also I googled it to make sure I was remembering it correctly and this was the header of the first article that came up: 

Charlie-Strong-Tracy-Jonathan-Blue-800x4

Louisville Trustee Says Charlie Strong Had Affair With His Wife 

The editor that chose those pictures needs a raise. Anyways, that's how my Wednesday morning is going. 

Doesn’t that guy go to a cuck support group with Jimbo?

52 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Nahlin and Roach have both said that Wilson would consider A&M ahead of us if he decommits. And they said that before E.J. did.

Aren't EJ and Roach attached at the hip?  There's not a ton of credibility right now with the complete misreads on Tufono and Wright.  TFB are about the only one's I put much stock in these days.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, satyanash said:

They’re all shooting from the hip off a couple of twitter follows. They have no clue what’s going on in Wilson’s inner circle. 

If Garrett is so enamored with aggy why didn’t he give them the time of day before he committed to Ohio State. 

Is the Station that much more Lit now than it was a couple months ago?

Im not buying it.

• Like 2

I just think we are a harder sell right now.  Even at Houston Herman had a winning football team.  I don't think anyone can gauge just how badly losing to Maryland, Tech and even Kansas the year before hurt this program.  ou is winning the conference and in the top 4.  aggies get a new snake oil salesman.  Fisher has kids buying in, but that is easier to do when you aren't defending your failures in the kids living room.  I still think kids want to come to Texas but we are a hard sell in the current environment.   If we can beat some top teams and not stumble against mediocre competition I think we will see recruiting turn in our favor.

The kids know our record the last several years.  I am sure it is pointed out repeatedly by our competition.  They have seen what this team has done.  Herman is going to have to show significant improvement before we earn the trust of these kids.

Jimbo is going to face the same thing after they go 6-6 or 7-5 the next two years.  The bloom will be off the rose by the end of 2020.  

With recruiting success breads success.

A harder sell? Jimbos biggest success was nearly 7 years ago, while Herman was a big part of a more recent national championship, beat Jimbo head to head with lesser talent, and even had a better record last year than Jimbos FSU team filled with back to back to back highly rated recruiting classes. Jimbo's FSU team limped into a bowl game they shouldn't have played in, aggy lost to a mid-pack ACC basketball school while we beat the team with the top offense in the SEC to end the season.

I'll concede aggy will have a better recruiting class than us this year because of the new coach bump, but if it continues...Houston, we have a problem.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Are we really just down to SydneyCarton as the last Japanese fighter in the cave at this point, re: Mehringer? I feel like there's a few more out there.

Fuck you, you Tim Nunez apologizing piece of shit. Get the Carl Reese signed photo off your office wall. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I had a meeting with Sydney a few weeks ago. This guy is in his late-30's and shows up rocking a fauxhawk and horned rimmed glasses. It was surreal.

You forgot my amazing, vintage smoking jacket. That being said I'm not sure anyone with 4 inch high waters, no socks with their loafers, and pleated dockers knakis and their woven belt is really someone who should be doling out fashion criticism...to anyone. And it's absurd to mock anyone for their fake Patrick Ewing style glasses when you sport a monocle. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

You know what? I'm not even going to worry about any of this. I'm just a fan who wants us to get much better as soon as possible. I realize that tends to take the best players, but at this point, even with so much tape and so many evals and whatnot, I can't say who that will be. I enjoy following recruiting, but not to the extent I'm going to jump off a rusty bridge if we miss on this guy or that guy. So I'm stepping back from the ledge for a few days to clear my head and see what happens next. Right now I'd be more than satisfied with an injury-free win over Maryland, and then see where things go from there. 

• Like 1

SydneyCarton annoyed with ctj's heavy-handed shit is my favorite SydneyCarton.  

At the point where Mehringer was running down his own unit as a presentation to recruits and their parents, I wonder how many of those parents had already met Collin or even possibly some of Collin's family.  I also wonder how many of those parent's who are fully aware of every single one of their children's personality flaws instantly visualized Mehringer doing the same to their kids.  What a meathead. 

28 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You forgot my amazing, vintage smoking jacket. That being said I'm not sure anyone with 4 inch high waters, no socks with their loafers, and pleated dockers knakis and their woven belt is really someone who should be doling out fashion criticism...to anyone. And it's absurd to mock anyone for their fake Patrick Ewing style glasses when you sport a monocle. 

In this description, it's not clear to me, but do you have me wearing two pairs of pants? 

Also, there isn't a fucking thing wrong with wearing a monocle. I only have one eye in need of sight correction, sir. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

In this description, it's not clear to me, but do you have me wearing two pairs of pants? 

Also, there isn't a fucking thing wrong with wearing a monocle. I only have one eye in need of sight correction, sir. 

Would it surprise anyone here to learn you wear mutliple pairs of pants?

o-TOBIAS-FUNKE-SHORTS-facebook.jpg

That being said I was simply commenting on how your slacks were an affront on multiple levels.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

i have good news and bad news.

Good news: Wilson is not interested in Aggy.

Bad news: Wilson is still solid to OSU unless Urbs is fired.

In Texas news, yes, Mehringer told Wilson he was better than all of our current receivers right now and would be a starter at Z or X from day 1. It did not have the intended effect on Wilson or his parents. Good thing for Texas that Coach Naivar is Wilson's lead recruiter and has a great relationship with Wilson and his parents. I believe in Naivar. But think we need a little help from OSU along the way and beating USC would probably open the right eyes and ears.

Can't wait till November once Beatty gets fired and hired by Herman.  

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

i have good news and bad news.

Good news: Wilson is not interested in Aggy.

Bad news: Wilson is still solid to OSU unless Urbs is fired.

In Texas news, yes, Mehringer told Wilson he was better than all of our current receivers right now and would be a starter at Z or X from day 1. It did not have the intended effect on Wilson or his parents. Good thing for Texas that Coach Naivar is Wilson's lead recruiter and has a great relationship with Wilson and his parents. I believe in Naivar. But think we need a little help from OSU along the way and beating USC would probably open the right eyes and ears.

I would think tOSU can keep most of their class even if they fire Meyer. I mean they can promote Day and still have a staff with Kevin Wilson, Schiano, and Grinch. Urban has put together an amazing staff.

13 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Can't wait till November once Beatty gets fired and hired by Herman.  

I have been thinking this same thing. Would love to bring him aboard at WR coach. Add Kingsbury as the OC once he gets fired and you suddenly have a dream staff. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Like 1