Texas recruiting notes 2019

8 minutes ago, Machinator said:

So, Marcus Washington and Jaylen Ellis? Not that I really trust Mehringer with a blue-chip OOS recruit (hell, you can't even trust him with the in-state ones), but that seems like a decent and realistic close, if not nearly as good as it should have been.

Any chance Washington and Mookie help with Shammond Cooper?

7 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Looch tweeted that aggy is trading blows and going toe-to-toe with the playoff teams from last year.

Right. My point is that last year we were doing the same thing but he didn’t say shit cause he’s chin pubes. Herman nailed his first year and so is Jimbo. Whoever recruits better in the future will be whoever wins games, which will be us.

55 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

the weak links in the coaching staff need to go.

20 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Staff getting worked though 

Yeah, I've grown tired of all of the dead weight on this staff. Mehringer is every bit as awful of a recruiter as Giles is, there are just more good WRs to choose from than DL, so he can fuck up a bunch and still land a decent class. But he's whiffed just as much, if not more.

11 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Meringher doing a bang up job this cycle 

Wilson

Wright

Houston and especially Whittington don't suck. Don't know how involved he was with those two, but that's a nice start.

We've lost two of our top three targets, and that's shitty, but everyone's acting like we're down to pulling kids from the local peewee team.

• Like 1

Somebody commented on 247 that our plan now is Marcus Washington or Garrett Wilson

Mike Roach replied: "From what I’ve heard, don’t be surprised to see Wilson look hard at A&M if he does make a move away from Ohio State."

These are trying times

I can't wait for the season to get started already

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Houston and especially Whittington don't suck. Don't know how involved he was with those two, but that's a nice start.

We've lost two of our top three targets, and that's shitty, but everyone's acting like we're down to pulling kids from the local peewee team.

Nobody's acting like that. We're going to land some good WRs because we're still Texas, this state has plenty of depth at the position, the staff generally evaluates well, and I think we'll have a decent-enough season.

But there are only a few true difference-making WRs out there, and we've whiffing on them more often than not. Jake Smith being a notable exception; he's a stud.

9 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Somebody commented on 247 that our plan now is Marcus Washington or Garrett Wilson

Mike Roach replied: "From what I’ve heard, don’t be surprised to see Wilson look hard at A&M if he does make a move away from Ohio State."

These are trying times

I can't wait for the season to get started already

I said when all that stuff started with Meyer his 1st Twitter follow was Dameyun Craig.  Aggy is now at 25, how many more are they taking?

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

8 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Nobody's acting like that. We're going to land some good WRs because we're still Texas, this state has plenty of depth at the position, the staff generally evaluates well, and I think we'll have a decent-enough season.

But there are only a few true difference-making WRs out there, and we've whiffing on them more often than not. Jake Smith being a notable exception; he's a stud.

Hah, I'd even forgotten about Smith. I was mostly just annoyed at @Neonmoon because he only referenced the two misses without acknowledging the other side. I think Whittington's a sick athlete, too - he's been a bit underhyped (despite his ranking) because he committed early and has stayed solid. Still, whiffing on Wilson and Wright does suck.

18 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Yeah, I've grown tired of all of the dead weight on this staff. Mehringer is every bit as awful of a recruiter as Giles is, there are just more good WRs to choose from than DL, so he can fuck up a bunch and still land a decent class. But he's whiffed just as much, if not more.

At least Giles can coach and he's a letterman. This fucktard Mehringer is too cool to put up a proper Hook 'em.

Make Samples the WR Coach or put him on the road like Carrington. Kid should be able to use his father's connections to get a kid from south Oak Cliff. 

Edited by Bruh Man
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Wilson and Higgins are local kids who really liked Texas early this spring. and Wright was a head to head with a Rival. Those sting 

• Like 1

At both WR and DL, the common theme is that we're losing far too many in-state battles.

Whittington is our only major in-state win within those two position groups. OTOH we've lost Leal, Nana, Wilson, Higgins, and Wright, plus Mowry and Stripling who never showed interest. It's absurdly lopsided.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, texifornia said:

That... was actually good Wescott. Wow.

1/2 of the composite top 20 have yet to commit, none of them will be to aggy.  They just about full so the only place they have to go is down from here.

though you have to admit, aggy $ure ha$ Ba-a-a-a-a-a-ged a decent class.  

It will continue to be an in-state fight for the next few years until everyone finally realizes that the overpaid MNC winning coach can't do better than 4th in the Division.  Even if they get fed-ex streamlined I would bet 3rd is their ceiling.  

• Like 1

The issue with this cycle isn’t so much that we are whiffing on guys, it’s that we are missing on a ton of players who really liked us at one point. Never seen anything like it.

We all knew that the recruiting game in-state was going to be... different... with Jimbo, but it really highlights the weaknesses we have on staff at certain areas. I suspect we will have our final answer next offseason on whether or not Herman has the stuff to succeed at Texas, because the necessary coaching changes will be unprecedented to a Herman-led team. He’s gonna have to cut some people he’s close with if he wants to win here, and i don’t think anyone knows for sure if he is capable of that.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Hah, I'd even forgotten about Smith. I was mostly just annoyed at @Neonmoon because he only referenced the two misses without acknowledging the other side. I think Whittington's a sick athlete, too - he's been a bit underhyped (despite his ranking) because he committed early and has stayed solid. Still, whiffing on Wilson and Wright does suck.

Neonmoon was just criticizing Mehringer and that is entirely warranted. Jake Smith was a Beck recruitment, he barely ever even mentioned Mehringer, and a sack of potatoes could've recruited Whitington here, he is a major Texas fan, there hasn't been a bigger layup since Ehlinger. 

The misses have far outweighed the makes. I'm starting to understand why CTJ gets driven up the wall about this, Mehringer does not warrant any defending. 

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, satyanash said:

At both WR and DL, the common theme is that we're losing far too many in-state battles.

Whittington is our only major in-state win within those two position groups. OTOH we've lost Leal, Nana, Wilson, Higgins, and Wright, plus Mowry and Stripling who never showed interest. It's absurdly lopsided.

In-state vs OOS is a dumb way of looking at it. We're getting manhandled at DL (hi Oscar!), but we've done ok (NOT great, but fine) at WR.

Of course, part of that is the skill position ranking inflation from guys like EJ that can't analyze linemen to save their lives so everyone ends up with a few "bluechip" wideouts.

EDIT: @Lonestar88 makes excellent points. Either way, this is annoying but the future should be better. First-year bump will dissipate and we'll be firing Mehringer.

Edited by texifornia

28 minutes ago, texifornia said:

In-state vs OOS is a dumb way of looking at it. We're getting manhandled at DL (hi Oscar!), but we've done ok (NOT great, but fine) at WR.

It's not 'dumb', it allows you to properly evaluate a coach's ability to recruit.

No one would care if Mehringer or Giles were missing like this on OOS guys. OOS isn't our bread-and-butter, the state of Texas is. We expect our hit rate to be lower on OOS guys, that's just how it is. But when you're missing on in-state guys at this rate, especially guys who live so close to Austin, that's an indicator that something is wrong. If Mehringer and Giles were landing the top in-state guys they're expected to land, or at least half of them, we wouldn't care if they missed on 95% on the OOS guys.

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Anyone defending Drew Mehringer on this board is either dumber than bucket of lard on a bad day or has an anti-Texas football agenda. There is no other option. The guy is a failing, metastasizing cancer and he needs to fucking go. 

Even the brain-dead sunshine pumpers on other paysite boards have stopped defending him. It's the end of the road for him at Texas, or at least, it should be.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, satyanash said:

It's not 'dumb', it allows you to properly evaluate a coach's ability to recruit.

No one would care if Mehringer or Giles were missing like this on OOS guys. OOS isn't our bread-and-butter, the state of Texas is. We expect our hit rate to be lower on OOS guys, that's just how it is. But when you're missing on in-state guys at this rate, especially guys who live so close to Austin, that's an indicator that something is wrong. If Mehringer and Giles were landing the top in-state guys they're expected to land, or at least half of them, we wouldn't care if they missed on 95% on the OOS guys.

I expect a recruiter to land a good class, if they're all bluechips they can all be from Alaska, I really don't care.

Not to defend Mehringer - like Lonestar88 said, our wins at WR haven't been his.

So this is about the 10th aggy signee that was either tepid to "Lit" or wanting to delay the committment process to a later date.  Nothing to see here.  Nothing at all.

I mean, their recruiters must be on par with Shakespeare if they're able to sway this many minds by bringing the kids to "Lit" and trying to sell a shitty 

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

21 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Anyone defending Drew Mehringer on this board is either dumber than bucket of lard on a bad day or has an anti-Texas football agenda. There is no other option. The guy is a failing, metastasizing cancer and he needs to fucking go. 

I don't think too much about replacements until after the season because that's when they normally happen but do position coaches get fired during the season other than for controversial reasons? 

9 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

I don't think too much about replacements until after the season because that's when they normally happen but do position coaches get fired during the season other than for controversial reasons? 

Obviously unless he’s Zach Smith, he will be here through the season. 

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Well the OG Wizard of Oz one, which is ok, and very nice in context. And then a million sappy fuck-awful covers that totally miss the melancholy in it.

Eva Cassidy released a stunning rendition at age 29, then died of cancer at 33. If that ain’t melancholy, I don’t know what is. . 

Now, back to the aftermath of more bad recruiting news. 

• Like 1