Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

IT

On Peter Mpagi...
It felt like a dream when the 6-foot-4.5, 230-pound DE was offered by UT. It came true when he committed to the #fUTure19 in mid-June and Mpagi hasn't looked back since. Unfortunately for the George Ranch product, he'll miss the first week. Maybe longer. 

“I’m missing week 1 with a high ankle sprain,” said Mpagi. “It sucks but I'll be ok. Just treatment and rest."

Mpagi already knows what he wants to major in at Texas. He also has plans to visit soon.

“Business School," said Mpagi. "I might show up to the Tulsa game. I really want to go to the USC game. Unfortunately, I can't because I have a damn game. I’m so hurt about it. That was the game I was totally looking for. That USC game has so much history, man, and literally everyone is going to be there.”

He knows his goals and expectations for his final high school season. 

“My team to go beyond the 3rd round and to have a good run in playoffs and eventually win at state," said Mpagi. "Also for the Longhorns to go at least 10-2, go to the CFB playoffs and win it all.”

You can't say he doesn't dream big. Being a Longhorn already came true. 

On Derrian Brown...
It’s no secret that Texas and Brown have a long-distance relationship. Brown has never even been to Austin. But that should change next weekend or the next when Brown arrives on the 40 Acres. I believe the Tulsa game will be an UOV, with USC an OV. It’s not set in stone, but the point is this couple might be getting hitched soon. 

“All the positive things I can say right now are I love the bond I have with the coaches, the program they have created, the academics program is amazing at Texas and I’m just ready to see what Texas has to offer,” said Brown.

Texas RB coach Stan Drayton leads the way. 
“(Drayton and I) have a great bond,” Brown said. “He already told me he has some things he wants me to work on. We can talk about anything and still have a good time on the phone.”

We’ve discussed Brown at length because we feel like this is a match made in heaven. Texas needs a RB1 for the 2019 class. Brown is such. Once he arrives, I wouldn’t be shocked if he shuts it down soon after. Stay tuned. 

TULSA (too early list) 
The Texas-Tulsa visitor list is still in its building stages. With USC the following week it looks like UT will host some top 2020-2021 targets for the Saturday night game.

JJ Sparkman, Pine Tree (2020)
Kelvontay Dixon, Carthage (2020)
Herbert Gums, Dibol (2020)
Lyrik Rawls, Jefferson (2021)
Peter Mpagi, George Ranch (2019) TEXAS
Hudson Card, Lake Travis (2020) TEXAS
Jordan Whittington, Cuero (2019) TEXAS
Derrian Brown, Buford (2019) 

We’ll obviously have a more thorough list for you next week. The list should give us more insight into who Texas really likes for the next few classes. 

• Like 1

Horns247 Recruiting Mailbag: Who will be UT's next commit?

Derrian Brown or David Gbenda — who commits first? Or will we get a surprise!? — UTwildcatter34

EJ: I feel like both could happen at any time. Gbenda has been trending to Texas for the last couple of months, and we still feel very strong about where the Longhorns stand. The door is ready to be shut with Brown, but the Longhorns will likely need to get him on campus first. Remember, Brown hasn’t visited, but he is in the process of finalizing his plans to make it to Austin on Sept. 15 when the Longhorns take on USC. Plano East safety Tyler Owens is a guy that Mike and I are starting to feel more confident on after what we've been able to gather over the last few days.

Mike: Tyler Owens is definitely a darkhorse candidate, but I feel like we could flip a coin between the three and be correct. We feel good about Gbenda and Brown, but if you pinned me down to a name, I'd guess Gbenda.

With the crowded running back room and a possible six backs returning next year, would Texas take both Noah Cain and Derrian Brown, if both want to come? — granburyguy

EJ: Absolutely. Texas has been upfront with both Cain and Trey Sanders about its plan to take two running backs this cycle. Closing with Brown and landing one of Cain or Sanders is the ideal for finish for Texas at the running back position. While we feel great about Texas getting Brown, the Longhorns need to produce on-field results to reel in a prize fish like Cain or Sanders.

Mike: Texas would absolutely take both, but they definitely need to get one. Cain is the true prize, but don't sleep on Brown and his fit in this offense. Despite the crowded running back room on campus, I could see that position be hit with attrition in the coming offseason. Bottom line is, Texas needs to infuse more talent to that position.

Texas’ two DL commits are the two lowest rated guys they’ve offered, by far, and you don’t seem optimistic on the uncommitted players they offered. We all know you HAVE to get pressure on the QB in the Big 12. Are you concerned with the position for 2019, and if so, why are we losing out on so many prospects after a successful season on defense? — Hookem1078

EJ: You obviously need guys in the trenches to win football games, so yes, I am a little concerned. However, I’ve been told that defensive line isn’t as much as a priority as the fanbase thinks it is this cycle. On top of that, Oscar Giles is one of the best football coaches on this staff and can develop guys with high upside. Both Peter Mpagi and T’Vondre Sweat definitely fit that mold and could turn into key contributors on the Forty Acres. Yes, Texas would love to flip DeMarvin Leal or land a big fish like Faatui Tuitele, but the Longhorns aren’t going to panic if they land lower rated guys with high ceilings that they’ve thoroughly evaluated.

Mike: Alabama proved you win by stacking talent in the trenches, and I think it is an area of some concern for Texas. That said, there is talent on campus, and Sweat and Mpagi possess strong upside for development.

With coaches being able to reach out on Sept. 1, who besides Coach Stan Drayton is involved in Zach Evans recruitment? How is it trending? Are there any 2020 recruits he's close to that could influence his decision? — professorbiggs

EJ: Corby Meekins has quietly been an effective recruiter for Texas. He helped the Longhorns win over Tyler Johnson and Javonne Shepherd this cycle and will be heavily involved with Zach Evans and Demond Demas next cycle. Remember, Meekins was a high school coach in the Houston-area, and he has strong relationships with the staffs at North Forest and North Shore. We still feel like Texas is a top school if not the team to beat for Evans early on. But he is also high on Alabama, Georgia, Texas A&M and a few others. I think Zach is going to make his own decision. He will be a leader in 2020 not a follower.

Mike: I'd agree on Meekins. His connections run deep throughout Houston, and he's been really good in areas where he's assisting coaches. I'd also agree that Zach will not make a decision based on where his friends are going. He might be the best running back to come out of the state since Adrian Peterson, and he knows that. He will take his time, but Texas is in that top group early.

Are there any under rated recruits that Texas is going after? — DubaiBob

EJ: Texas is evaluating a handful of under rated recruits in the trenches like Preston Wilson, Shemar Pearl and Z’Core Brooks. From a skill position standpoint, Texas is keeping a close eye on Plano all-purpose back Kyron Cumby. He camped with the Longhorns at Stars at Night and is a scat back that could also play some slot.

Mike: Preston Wilson is my guy to watch this year, and I'd also agree with Cumby. Both guys are late offer candidates who certainly have the talent to play at Texas.

Could we see any surprise recruits visiting for the USC game? I could see the staff using that game as a turning point in some of the players’ recruitments. — messican

EJ: Of course. That game is going to be massive from a recruiting standpoint. In fact, it’s probably the biggest since I started covering Texas recruiting for this site. I think you could see a couple of guys committed to other schools show up in Austin. We just can’t get into specifics right now. As it stands today, top targets like Bru McCoy, Lewis Cine and Jalen Catalon will all be on campus.

Mike: I know of one surprise that's considering being on campus for USC, but we will see if it materializes. Big games like this are always a great opportunity to get kids on campus, and the staff is trying to make the most of it. Even without the surprises, I think it will be a pretty loaded list.

Do you or Mike plan on traveling to Florida to see Marcus Tillman? From what you've seen/heard of him so far, is he underrated, or just an above-average player at his position? — Silky Johnson

EJ: Right now, he is not on my schedule. If y’all want to donate to my travel budget, I could start a gofundme (only half joking). My last out-of-state trip will likely be to Las Vegas next week, where I’ll see Cain, Sanders, Brayden Liebrock and Faatui Tuitele as I need to use October budget on Houston. But we’ll see what the playoffs hold. I would like to see more of Tillman before giving a full take. I haven’t seen him in any setting. Mike did a full film evaluation, so I’ll let him expand on Tillman.

Mike: We may not be able to see him in person, but I'll definitely keep an eye out for his senior film because I love his projection. We usually try to see every commit in person, but the national recruiting in this class is making that a difficult task.

I think Texas can win 10 games before a bowl game. If so, what type of 2019 and 2020 recruiting class do you think they are looking at?

EJ: Way to be optimistic about your team. Wish I could say the same about the 49ers. Anyway, I think you would see them close with some guys like Cain and Catalon. I also feel like they would be able to pull off a surprise by landing Tuitele or Marcus Washington as well as make a few flips. The 2020 class would be special in this scenario. Texas is already in a great spot for Evans, Demas, Chad Lindberg, Ja’Quinden Jackson, Mookie Cooper and others.

Mike: Ten wins would put Texas on track for a strong finish in 2019 and a hot start to 2020. I think the Longhorns are already in for a good start in 2020 barring a disaster, but a season that shows great improvement will certainly boost that.

How many commits do y’all think Texas might get between the start of the season and early signing day? — Hookem777

EJ: It’s hard to say right now. I think a lot is going to depend on the season. I think you’ll see three at minimum.

Mike: I'll say 4-5. I think guys get antsy to make decisions as they see spots filling up.

Since we are on the brink of Game 1, can you give a best case, worst case and somewhere-in-the-middle case scenario for recruiting based on how results end up on the field? I know that's a broad question, looking for any insight on a few scenarios with recruits we could see play out. — waterboie

EJ: Best-case is the 10 wins before the bowl game, which I talked about above. Worst-case is Texas somehow misses a bowl game. That would put them out of contention with a lot of its major targets and could cost them a few out-of-state commits. If Texas finishes somewhere in the middle with seven or eight wins, I think they’ll keep all of its commits minus maybe one and fill in the gaps with some quality players.

Mike: Ten wins before the bowl game and a big finish is a dream scenario for the "Texas is back" crowd. If they do that I think they can make a serious finish and really open some eyes in 2020. If they finish around six or seven games I think they will dip in the eyes of some recruits. Anything less than that, and we are looking at serious panic mode.

Per Super K, Kenyatta Watson will attend the Texas-Maryland game, the Texas-USC game, and the Texas-OU game.
Wow, ill honestly be surprised if he shows up for all of those, but it's awesome that he's at least shutting out other teams trying to get him to their games.

4 hours ago, satyanash said:

so can the fellating of Oscar Giles' coaching finally stop? Cause our experienced, supposedly talented D-line has been a complete and utter nonfactor so far.

Kinda past the point of focusing just on Giles. Probably should be focusing on the man who decided to keep him.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Not worried at all. I’d rather start at the bottom and work our way up then the other way around. We beat USC, aggy gets impaled by Clemson and we got a stew going. All our energy needs to be focused on DeMarvin Leal, he is the only thing keeping their class together and keeping ours from being elite. It should be all hands on deck just trying to get him to visit for USC. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, RadiologyHorn said:

Not worried at all. I’d rather start at the bottom and work our way up then the other way around. We beat USC, aggy gets impaled by Clemson and we got a stew going. All our energy needs to be focused on DeMarvin Leal, he is the only thing keeping their class together and keeping ours from being elite. It should be all hands on deck just trying to get him to visit for USC. 

Lol. I am sure Leal is chomping at the bit today

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, RadiologyHorn said:

JUST. STOP. WE ARE NOT HAVING A BETTER CLASS THAN AGGY. WE ARE NOT FLIPPING ANYONE FROM AGGY. LET IT GO.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, Theboss said:

Lol. I am sure Leal is chomping at the bit today

Did you see what Clemson did to their opponent today? They destroyed them. aggy was only up 7-0 on Northwestern St in the 2nd qtr., their lines were evenly matched for most of the game, Mond was off target as usual, their WR’s were dropping balls, they are thin at RB, etc.

Leal can’t avoid the truth that is coming to aggy this season. All we need to focus on is just getting him to the USC game. He sees that combined with aggy rape and we’ve got a good chance at the flip. Once Leal flips it makes it easier for Demani and crew to do the same. Let’s not act like it would be a tremendous precedent for us to exert our dominance on little brother. Many in here have a myopic outlook because of the loss today. Did this team fold after losing to Maryland last year? No we went nip and tuck in LA against USC when nobody gave us a chance. We’ll beat USC and gain momentum on the field and in recruiting as the season moves along. Bookmark this post. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 5

2 minutes ago, RadiologyHorn said:

Did you see what Clemson did to their opponent today? They destroyed them. aggy was only up 7-0 on Northwestern St in the 2nd qtr., their lines were evenly matched for most of the game, Mond was off target as usual, their WR’s were dropping balls, they are thin at RB, etc.

Leal can’t avoid the truth that is coming to aggy this season. All we need to focus on is just getting him to the USC game. He sees that combined with aggy rape and we’ve got a good chance at the flip. Once Leal flips it makes it easier for Demani and crew to do the same. Let’s not act like it would be a tremendous precedent for us to exert our dominance on little brother. Many in here have a myopic outlook because of the loss today. Did this team fold after losing to Maryland last year? No we went nip and tuck in LA against USC when nobody gave us a chance. We’ll beat USC and gain momentum on the field and in recruiting as the season moves along. Bookmark this post. 

Bro. I love the shit you’re on. Pass that ish over here bro. I need to escape realty 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RadiologyHorn said:

I am neg you every time you bring up Leal until you get it through your head that he isn't coming here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

Losses like today is why we can’t flip guys from aggy whether this get destroyed by Clemson or others doesn’t matter. 

If we want to do damage to aggy we have to win games like today and beat usc and ou and tcu and win 9/10 games. Can we have one fucking season where we play above our talent and pull some fucking upsets much less just beat Maryland?

It was 27-0 at the half. That’s not exactly destroying anyone. OU was up 42-0 on FAU at the half. That’s an ass whipping.