Texas recruiting notes 2019

Ikaika Malloe is Tuitele's primary recruiter. He's a great d-line coach and very good recruiter. He'd be great here, and it's semi-plausible because he was Utah State's DL coach in 2014 while Orlando was their DC. However, he's a UW alum so he won't come here to relieve us of Giles. 
If only somebody on the staff had strong Polynesian ties...
  • Like 2

EJ after dark: Notes on Noah Cain, DL commit

— This cycle has been filled with some twists and turns as far as decision timelines go, but elite IMG Academy (Fla.) running back Noah Cain is adamant that he is sticking to his December timeframe. Cain wants to take advantage of the early signing period and is carefully mapping out his official visits. Texas is in line to receive one, and the Longhorns will push to get him in closer to December. I still feel like LSU has the advantage, but it just depends on how the season goes. 

— We haven’t talked much about Huntsville defensive lineman T’Vondre Sweat, but there is nothing to worry about here. Sweat remains completely solid to Texas and is not looking to visit any other schools. The three-star prospect will be back on campus early in the season and will likely take advantage of the early signing period. Sweat will graduate in May and be a regular enrollee.

— Texas recently extended an offer to five-star 2020 Oak Park (MI) offensive lineman Justin Rogers. So are the Longhorns in the picture? Right now, Georgia and Ohio State are considered the favorites in his recruitment. Rogers will release his top schools list in a couple of weeks (Sept. 12), so it will be interesting to see if UT makes the cut.

— Texas does not like to offer prospects early, but don’t be surprised if the Longhorns jump in the mix for four-star 2021 Destrehan (La.) wide receiver Quincy Brown at some point in the near future. Brown already holds offers from Alabama, Florida, Georgia and others and is on the radar.

Edited by satyanash

6 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Giles isn’t getting fired in all likelihood, so this is probably a moot point, but money-whipping assistant coaches actually works.  It’s a message board fantasy with head coaches - well, except for Jimbo, but nobody except aggy is aggy enough to triple the guaranteed money that a guy would get from literally every other school.   But back to the original point, we have poached plenty of assistants and coordinators from cushier gigs than UW position coach.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

It must not be that positive if he put in a Washington pick. 

According to the Hank Scorpio Cup rankings, if we’ve surged into second for Tuitele and he commits to Washington, we’ll have a pretty tight stranglehold on first place for all of the second place finishes in this cycle.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

According to the Hank Scorpio Cup rankings, if we’ve surged into second for Tuitele and he commits to Washington, we’ll have a pretty tight stranglehold on first place for all of the second place finishes in this cycle.

Silver medals are nothing to sneeze at. Being almost good enough means we are almost there!

8 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Giles isn’t getting fired in all likelihood, so this is probably a moot point, but money-whipping assistant coaches actually works.  It’s a message board fantasy with head coaches - well, except for Jimbo, but nobody except aggy is aggy enough to triple the guaranteed money that a guy would get from literally every other school.   But back to the original point, we have poached plenty of assistants and coordinators from cushier gigs than UW position coach.

Isn't the most popular hypothetical that Giles gets moved to DE/OLB coach and Herman brings in a rainmaker to coach the DTs?  That of course is after he sends Beck, Mehringer, and Warehime packing.

And hires Beaty.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Isn't the most popular hypothetical that Giles gets moved to DE/OLB coach and Herman brings in a rainmaker to coach the DTs?  That of course is after he sends Beck, Mehringer, and Warehime packing.

And hires Beaty.

I think more likely is hiring someone like Kliff at OC and moving Beck to TE and Co-OC.

Just now, Machinator said:

Hand is already co-OC. I doubt we have 3 co-OCs.

Thanks. I forgot he had that title. Beck is probably a wait and see project for Herman while Mehringer is gone. Warehime is probably gone but I guess if the TEs do well this year, he can work his way back into a position. On defense, I think the only real move that needs to be made is adding a DL or DE coach to give Giles some help.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Hey Guys, if you hang around at the party long enough, sometimes her first choice leaves early.

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

And hires Beaty.

I realize that this is the consensus fantasy of this board, and look, I've been critical of all of these guys and flat out in front with the lead pitchfork on Warehime and Mehringer so I am right there with folks, but I think we've got some bad groupthink going on as well. Or cognitive dissonance.

If Texas wins 9+ this year, I think the chances of Tom Hermancipating Texas from the yokes of carrying Beck at OC, Mehringer and Warehime breathe, and Giles recruit, altogether, are slim to none, and slim just left town. Maybe he coordinates a soft place to land for one of them and moves Beck to WR coach/Co-OC (titles are watered down already, if he wants to do this, he will) or something, but that would have to be it. 9+ wins validates Herman in his original thinking, if he's at all the narcissist I think he is. That makes making moves seem way less likely.

On the other hand, if Texas goes tits up again this year and wins 5-8 games and looks bad doing so, sure, he may clean house with the problems, but the odds of him making it himself become really long, and the recruiting for the 2019 and 2020 will be hammered dogshit. 

So, I'm interested to see what happens with the staff after a 10 win season. I cannot handle walking through the game theory in my brain at anything below 9 wins, so I won't go there. At the 9+ level, I still don't see Beck, Warehime, and Meh becoming hot commodities. I doubt we so people clamoring to give them the reins to their O or anything close, and the salaried offers wouldn't be competitive then, either. I guess if you believe we have a big year and suddenly the likes of a USC or Florida or Tennessee come calling with a big promotion for a farthuffer like Meh or Warehime, then them being gone happily for everyone seems plausible, but ... okay, right.

I don't know. Giles is never leaving unless he dies, retires, or gets fired. The other three have pretty good gigs if they're winning. I suspect we're setting ourselves up for collective disappointment. If we win 9+, I'll sort it out on my end and be happy until next spring and summer's recruiting fuck-ups.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I realize that this is the consensus fantasy of this board, and look, I've been critical of all of these guys and flat out in front with the lead pitchfork on Warehime and Mehringer so I am right there with folks, but I think we've got some bad groupthink going on as well. Or cognitive dissonance.

If Texas wins 9+ this year, I think the chances of Tom Hermancipating Texas from the yokes of carrying Beck at OC, Mehringer and Warehime breathe, and Giles recruit, altogether, are slim to none, and slim just left town. Maybe he coordinates a soft place to land for one of them and moves Beck to WR coach/Co-OC (titles are watered down already, if he wants to do this, he will) or something, but that would have to be it. 9+ wins validates Herman in his original thinking, if he's at all the narcissist I think he is. That makes making moves seem way less likely.

On the other hand, if Texas goes tits up again this year and wins 5-8 games and looks bad doing so, sure, he may clean house with the problems, but the odds of him making it himself become really long, and the recruiting for the 2019 and 2020 will be hammered dogshit. 

So, I'm interested to see what happens with the staff after a 10 win season. I cannot handle walking through the game theory in my brain at anything below 9 wins, so I won't go there. At the 9+ level, I still don't see Beck, Warehime, and Meh becoming hot commodities. I doubt we so people clamoring to give them the reins to their O or anything close, and the salaried offers wouldn't be competitive then, either. I guess if you believe we have a big year and suddenly the likes of a USC or Florida or Tennessee come calling with a big promotion for a farthuffer like Meh or Warehime, then them being gone happily for everyone seems plausible, but ... okay, right.

I don't know. Giles is never leaving unless he dies, retires, or gets fired. The other three have pretty good gigs if they're winning. I suspect we're setting ourselves up for collective disappointment. If we win 9+, I'll sort it out on my end and be happy until next spring and summer's recruiting fuck-ups.

So Herman gets fired or we never meet our true potential because Herman will refuse to bring in elite coaches if he doesn't have too. Fucking great.

If we win 9+ games with an offense that looks competent I'd be happy with just letting Mehringer go and add a great DT coach/recruiter.  We'd still have continuity (which I believe is important) and rid ourselves of a toxic/below average position coach.  

1 minute ago, Not a Sock said:

So Herman gets fired or we never meet our true potential because Herman will refuse to bring in elite coaches if he doesn't have too. Fucking great.

More of a slow burn over time, if successful. Also, coming in it was about "alignment" with his staff and admins. If he's thriving, he's going to be more likely to go hunting for the best and brightest in the future, because he'll assume he can assimilate them into buying into him whole hog, so I think there's less "bro" risk with the next folks he takes. I also don't view Beatty as a bro, even if they are buddies. He's a well-respected assistant and recruiter. 

There's also the somewhat-unknown factor of what influence Chris Del Conte will have on hirings and firings.

I just want to win games, for now. Beat the piss out of OU. Make an example of USC on national television. Stop the bleeding to Fatterson and Gundy. Break the Manhattan losing streak. Stop the embarrassing losses to inferior teams.

Do most or all of the above, and we'll have something we can work with, at the very least.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Machinator said:

There's also the somewhat-unknown factor of what influence Chris Del Conte will have on hirings and firings.

I just want to win games, for now. Beat the piss out of OU. Make an example of USC on national television. Stop the bleeding to Fatterson and Gundy. Break the Manhattan losing streak. Stop the embarrassing losses to inferior teams.

Do most or all of the above, and we'll have something we can work with, at the very least.

This, although what you described is a playoff team and unless Sam is going to play like a different qb from what we have seen, we are not that quality of team.

I do not see CDC sitting on the sidelines watching, I see him molding Big Herms org plans as he will ask the tough questions IMO. 

Edited by Goodman

12 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Shit, just give me three out of five of the above wish list and I'll be aight.

2 minutes ago, Goodman said:

This. I do not see CDC sitting on the sidelines watching, I see him molding Big Herms org plans. 

I'm not sure how open to "molding" Tom Herman's going to be. I know everyone wants CDC to be the Head Coach Whisperer and get Herman to see the value in cutting dead weight and hiring top coordinators, but I get the sense that Herman would much rather go down on a flaming ship that he captains rather than have to share credit for any potential future success.

Edited by irishtexan

15 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Doing all of the above puts us in the Playoffs.   Nothing wrong with that -  but perhaps we should beat Turtle first, look well coached and not have a bunch of WTF moments.  Baby steps. 

I initially thought that as well Irish but not now, not after seeing how CDC interacts with Herman. I also think Herman loves the relationship and having someone he can trust, giving critical feedback. CDC is a pro and would never take any credit but reading on how the conversations they were having years ago at Rice, I think CDC and Coach feel very good about working together. IMO, Coach needed/needs a CDC type at AD, he's only been a HC for 3 years.

Side note, it's kind of weird and I might be totally off base here, but I feel like we're less likely to win the Tuitele recruitment against UW than non-Mater Dei battles against USC or Cain against LSU. Their program doesn't have the prestige of the other schools but they just seem like they're in a really solid spot. I dunno that's just the vibe I had while reading the Tuitele news. Maybe that will change if we get Jake Langi involved /s

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I cannot handle walking through the game theory in my brain at anything below 9 wins, so I won't go there.

There was a prof in the Government department at UT when I was in school, Ordeshook, who was an engineer out of MIT and specialized in the application of game theory to politics. Fascinating class, which I thoroughly loved at the time because I was the only liberal arts geek in there who had actually taken calculus, and so I blew the curve pretty spectacularly (which, bad student that I was, was a fairly rare occurrence for me, so it sticks out in my memory).

The one thing I took away from that class above and beyond everything else was actually related to the psychology of gaming, rather than the mathematics of it. Narcissists love to buy into their own theories, but they also love to look for excuses to make changes on their own terms, especially when they know other people were right.

Whether Herman fits that unique sliver of reality (knowing that he was wrong, hoping to scrape by so that he can do what is necessary without anyone being able to tell him "I told you so") is where the betting gets interesting. But it is definitely a possibility which should not be discounted.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

More of a slow burn over time, if successful. Also, coming in it was about "alignment" with his staff and admins. If he's thriving, he's going to be more likely to go hunting for the best and brightest in the future, because he'll assume he can assimilate them into buying into him whole hog, so I think there's less "bro" risk with the next folks he takes. I also don't view Beatty as a bro, even if they are buddies. He's a well-respected assistant and recruiter. 

I just don't want to fall into the position where OU is, in that a single poor hire sticking around is holding the program back and not allowing it to win titles but still putting out 10 win seasons.

25 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I feel like we're less likely to win the Tuitele recruitment against UW than non-Mater Dei battles against USC or Cain against LSU. 

I'm with you.  I think Chris Petersen is building a juggernaut in Seattle.  I think UDub will win it all soon (maybe this year).  I think they beat Auburn this weekend too.

43 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

I just don't want to fall into the position where OU is, in that a single poor hire sticking around is holding the program back and not allowing it to win titles but still putting out 10 win seasons.

Maybe we should worry about winning 10 games first.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Scholz said:

I'm with you.  I think Chris Petersen is building a juggernaut in Seattle.  I think UDub will win it all soon (maybe this year).  I think they beat Auburn this weekend too.

So nice to read "this weekend" rather than "this season".

• Like 3

Somebody translate this for me . . . I don't follow this shit closely, but just sort of keep a high level view of things . . .

24/7 has a composite ranking for 2019 where UT is #10, but at 15 recruits we have the smallest class in that top 10.

That makes me inclined to look at the quality of the individuals as opposed to the overall cumulative ranking (given of course the complete crap shoot involved in the first place).  

So if I look at average ranking, it appears that only tOSU below us is doing better, and we're both doing better than ~ 5 teams in that 3-9 group.

I get it, this isn't an exact science.  Still, there is a "total" number pushing 300 at the top that clearly is not in any way proportional to some kind of additive rating for a bunch of guys each coming in just under 100.  How do they arrive at this total #?  (For instance, UT has 15 recruits at a 91.7 average for a total of 243.7, which makes no sense whatsoever.)

Translation?  Did Ketch come up with this system?