Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Is there a rule against paying handlers, though? I have never looked. If they report it as income, I assume they're legal.

I've been paid for one ostensible reason and then used for another, and I imagine most of us have done work outside of our contract or job description at some point in time. There's nothing unethical, immoral, or illegal about it in the business world. If a school is paying a "scout" for information about players, or a "trainer" to get them to expose their clients to the school, it's probably within NCAA rules and it is certainly legal. I'm guessing the contracts in those scenarios don't explicitly stipulate "oh by the way, we also require that the targets you work with also sign with us, kthxbye." Given that, I struggle to work up my outrage these days. 

Anyone know or remember Randy Rodgers? I don't know if he still does, I assume he does, but he at least used to run a scouting service. Schools would come to him and tell him they wanted players in Texas that could help their team that they wouldn't have to fight UT, ATM, or OU for, and they'd pay him for that. Idaho, Iowa, Ithaca, and everyone in between that wasn't a perennial power would do so. Players would also pay him to get covered and scouted by programs. Often times, he'd help a program and a player/player's family connect and get the kid a scholarship. That's basically a handler, directing recruits to schools and getting paid to do it, except damn near everyone involved is white. It was/is a perfectly above board business and transaction for everyone involved.

No wonder Lyles got caught so easily. 

• Like 1

Sec. 32.441. ILLEGAL RECRUITMENT OF AN ATHLETE. (a) A person commits an offense if, without the consent of the governing body or a designee of the governing body of an institution of higher education, the person intentionally or knowingly solicits, accepts, or agrees to accept any benefit from another on an agreement or understanding that the benefit will influence the conduct of the person in enrolling in the institution and participating in intercollegiate athletics.

(b) A person commits an offense if he offers, confers, or agrees to confer any benefit the acceptance of which is an offense under Subsection (a).

(c) It is an exception to prosecution under this section that the person offering, conferring, or agreeing to confer a benefit and the person soliciting, accepting, or agreeing to accept a benefit are related within the second degree of consanguinity or affinity, as determined under Chapter 573, Government Code.

(d) It is an exception to prosecution under Subsection (a) that, not later than the 60th day after the date the person accepted or agreed to accept a benefit, the person contacted a law enforcement agency and furnished testimony or evidence about the offense.

(e) An offense under this section is a:

(1) Class C misdemeanor if the value of the benefit is less than $100;

(2) Class B misdemeanor if the value of the benefit is $100 or more but less than $750;

(3) Class A misdemeanor if the value of the benefit is $750 or more but less than $2,500;

(4) state jail felony if the value of the benefit is $2,500 or more but less than $30,000;

(5) felony of the third degree if the value of the benefit is $30,000 or more but less than $150,000;

(6) felony of the second degree if the value of the benefit is $150,000 or more but less than $300,000; or

(7) felony of the first degree if the value of the benefit is $300,000 or more.

2 minutes ago, Tony Two K said:

Sec. 32.441. ILLEGAL RECRUITMENT OF AN ATHLETE. (a) A person commits an offense if, without the consent of the governing body or a designee of the governing body of an institution of higher education, the person intentionally or knowingly solicits, accepts, or agrees to accept any benefit from another on an agreement or understanding that the benefit will influence the conduct of the person in enrolling in the institution and participating in intercollegiate athletics.

(b) A person commits an offense if he offers, confers, or agrees to confer any benefit the acceptance of which is an offense under Subsection (a).

(c) It is an exception to prosecution under this section that the person offering, conferring, or agreeing to confer a benefit and the person soliciting, accepting, or agreeing to accept a benefit are related within the second degree of consanguinity or affinity, as determined under Chapter 573, Government Code.

(d) It is an exception to prosecution under Subsection (a) that, not later than the 60th day after the date the person accepted or agreed to accept a benefit, the person contacted a law enforcement agency and furnished testimony or evidence about the offense.

(2) Class B misdemeanor if the value of the benefit is $100 or more but less than $750;

(3) Class A misdemeanor if the value of the benefit is $750 or more but less than $2,500;

(4) state jail felony if the value of the benefit is $2,500 or more but less than $30,000;

(5) felony of the third degree if the value of the benefit is $30,000 or more but less than $150,000;

(6) felony of the second degree if the value of the benefit is $150,000 or more but less than $300,000; or

Now, you know Bama and it's boosters can't read!

9 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I'm going to bribe some shitty high school football player with $350,000 to go to ATM, and then go to prison for 99 years for committing a first degree felony and be the biggest bad ass in prison. 

I think Hammster has had this fantasy.

14 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

"Who is that guy in the yard that everyone stays away from? Even the guards don't mess with him" 

"Oh, that's Hank, he pretty much runs this place."

"What's he in for?"

"He bribed a 2 star offensive lineman to go to ATM. I hear that at the trial he told the judge he didn't regret nothin and that he'd do it all over again if he could. Then he grabbed his lawyer's cell phone and started tweeting at a 2025 recruit. Kid was only in 8th grade. Don't mess with Hank, he's fucking crazy" 

"Hank? He told me his name was Meemaw!"

22 minutes ago, Tony Two K said:

This is state of Texas, right? I know I'd read about something like this getting passed not too long ago. Has it ever been enforced and how would it even be enforced? I do think it would be fun as hell to watch something like the Waddle thing come undone and then watch Lupoi go to prison in Huntsville for a couple of years. 

6 hours ago, Bevo said:

One thing that drives me crazy, is when people say Alabama doesn't have to cheat: Guys go there to win championships. And then the Bama alumni say that Saban doesn't tolerate boosters. I'm already hearing the same shit with Georgia. Fuck both those schools.

Every Bama fan I've encountered brags about their cheating 

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Paying players is simply not acceptable and I will not support a coach that allows it. They get paid plenty in the form of a scholarship. Who cares if they have to spend nearly every waking hour either in class or doing football related activities? Or that they are sacrificing their bodies and future long term health in exchange for that scholarship? Can you imagine if you paid them cash on top of all that? What would they even do with it? Probably spend it on drugs and booze and jewelry, which just shows how entitled they already are as football players. No regular college kid would spend money on that stuff. And another thing, no one comes to football games to see the players, they come because of the name on the jersey and to support the athletic department and keep its revenue up. The players don't even really matter when you get to watch a 15,000 foot jumbotron covered in ads for banks and hospitals, that's why fans go to the games. Paying players anything extra is unfair, unjust, and unAmerican. God bless.  

Hank, you know I love you.

But I'm serious when I suggest you switch from coffee to kefir. ❤️

Horns247 Recruiting Mailbag: Which commit best fits UT's scheme?

My favorite part of Mike’s film evaluations is when he discusses the fit in the current Texas offense or defense. Which commit fits best in the current Texas scheme and which commit to another school would have been the best fit in the Texas scheme? — Charles Daniels

EJ: From a pure fit standpoint, it’s hard to make an argument for anyone other than Roschon Johnson. Sure, I have been critical of him as a passer, but he is tailor made for this offense. Johnson is an electrifying runner — the best I’ve seen at the high school level since Jerrod Heard —and has the traits to be shaped into a true dual-threat quarterback. You have to keep in mind that Johnson has basically been running UT’s offense for most of his playing career. The staff at Port Neches-Groves actually flew out to Ohio State to meet with Tom Herman during his time in Columbus and basically mirrored the system. The transition should be pretty simple for him. On the other side of the coin, I would go with Dylan Wright. I think he’s going to be a better Collin Johnson.

Mike: Of the commits not named Roschon Johnson, I’d say Jake Smith offensively and De’Gabriel Floyd defensively. Smith is the true slot fit the Longhorns have been searching for since Tom Herman arrived on campus. His skill as a receiver and runner should play up very quickly, and his eye-popping speed is the cherry on top. Floyd is an easy pick because he’s the type of big, athletic specimen Todd Orlando targets for his scheme. He’s a guy who can do multiple things and be deployed from a number of different alignments. Of guys committed to another school, I’ll have to say DeMarvin Leal. Leal is the type of guy who will make huge money in the NFL playing in an odd front where his size and athletic ability pose a big threat to offensive gameplans.

Out of Christian Harris, Dylan Wright, Kenyon Green, and Brian Williams, which one hurts Texas the most? — Justin Daniels

EJ: You could easily make the argument for Dylan Wright. I think he’s a Top 5 overall prospect in the state this cycle and has the most potential out of any of the elite in-state prospects. But I feel like you have to go with Kenyon Green. Texas needs to shore up its offensive line, and Green could have been a multi-year contributor on the interior or at right tackle.

Mike: I’d also probably agree with Green, because he’d give Texas a big time interior line prospect with the versatility to play swing tackle. Outside of Green, it would be Wright due to a need to find explosive playmakers on offense. Harris is a nice athlete, and I like Williams a lot, but I believe Harris is somewhat a tweener, and the depth at safety softens the blow for Texas in losing Williams.

Who’s your senior breakout candidate recruit? Someone we really don’t know about or area talking about but after his senior season we will know. — Tre Stein

EJ: Defensive linemen always seem to pop up. I would go with a guy like Shemar Pearl out of Plano West or Z’Core Brooks out of Dallas Woodrow Wilson. Texas is evaluating both closely, and it wouldn’t be surprising to see them earn offers with strong senior campaigns. I’m a little partial to Pearl since I found him as a sophomore with more offers, but I do feel like he has tremendous upside and will be a steal for whoever lands him. Brooks is one of the more intriguing prospects in the state this cycle. If he can add weight and improve his technique, watch out.

Mike: Argyle’s Preston Wilson is the guy for me. He has a number of offers, and he’s committed to Oklahoma State, but his spring and film review showed a guy who is growing into his frame and delving deeper into his talent. In a year that’s somewhat weak at interior line, I think Wilson is a guy who will see some big offers come his way this fall.

Guys, thanks for what you do. What, if any, impact will the recruiting freeze on Urban Myer have on their commitments and prospects that could benefit the Horns? — hornybob

EJ: I don’t think it’s appropriate to go too in-depth into that right now. But obviously, there are some mutual targets. I think this could help Texas slowly work its way back in it with Garrett Wilson — though, I still feel like it’s a long shot. Ohio State is No. 2 for elite defensive lineman Faatui Tuitele, so this opens the door for the Longhorns to pass up the Buckeyes there. Overall, we’ll just see how everything plays out.

Mike: If he keeps his job, I don’t believe there will be a huge impact.

Tom Herman and company are extremely intelligent. At what point do they alter their recruiting style to the new, earlier visiting/committing recruiting landscape and start offering a bit earlier for the elite guys? Guys likeRJ Mickens seem to be logical offers you go after early. I totally get they know more than me, but I agree about scratching my head when recruits signal they are losing interest due to lack of an offer. — UTFAN29

EJ: I’m not sure that they will. I’ve been told that Texas has a method to its madness and will continue to stick by it. The Longhorns value thorough evaluation and want a Texas offer to mean something. I’m in the camp of offering elite level guys earlier in the process, especially with the changes. But again, this staff is set on finding the best talent nationwide and is critical with the way they assess prospects both on and off the field.

Mike: There are many ways to skin a cat, and the Longhorn staff appears to prefer the methodical way. Sure there are times we think an offer should go out earlier, but this staff works under the premise of gathering as much information as they can, and making sure their offer has meaning. I don’t foresee them changing anything until it stops working.

While the 2019 recruiting class will be the first full class with the new rules effecting recruiting (early signing period, spring OV's, and limitations on camps), we have already seen a full cycle in terms of the rules. How do y’all think the new rules have impacted the landscape of college football recruiting and how do y’all think they may impact them going forward? — Hookem777

EJ: I think we’re still in a weird transition phase where coaches are getting adjusted. Obviously, it affected Texas this cycle with official visits as it ran out of them before the end of summer. I think you’re seeing more and more early offers and more schools pressing for kids to make a decision during the early period.

Mike: The pinch on visits was a huge hurdle for the staff, so I’d really like to get to this time next year before I make a full call on that. They’ve shown a strong ability to adjust to whatever recruiting throws at them, so I think they will be alright.

1 minute ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Hank, you know I love you.

But I'm serious when I suggest you switch from coffee to kefir. ❤️

I don't know who or what the fuck kefir is you god damn foreigner. The only kiefer I recognize is Sutherland because Jack Bauer plays by his own rules when it comes to terrorists like you. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This is state of Texas, right? I know I'd read about something like this getting passed not too long ago. Has it ever been enforced and how would it even be enforced? I do think it would be fun as hell to watch something like the Waddle thing come undone and then watch Lupoi go to prison in Huntsville for a couple of years. 

Don’t they have a big enough footprint in Texas as it is?

51 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

The University of by God Texas should be being outbid by anybody, not even Alabama.  And ESPECIALLY not Clemson. 

This was the funniest part about the Ole Miss debacle. Y'all think the poorest state in the nation is out here bringing unprecedented resources to the table? They just rose above their station and beat Alabama two too many times.

Edited by texifornia

2 hours ago, Fud said:

Every Bama fan I've encountered brags about their cheating 

Bama has always been in the if you ain’t cheatin’ you ain’t tryin’ camp.  They don’t hide it and they don’t care if you cheat too because they know they will do it better. There’s integrity in that position that is respectable. 

If Texas started cheating like bama, their response would be bout damn time. 

Weekend Post from the Brainiacs:

Spoiler

Andrew Fitzgerald No Longer Playing Football
– Charlie S

Texas announced that sophomore defensive lineman Andrew Fitzgerald will no longer play football.

The Flower Mound product will remain at Texas as a student.

“My chapter here as part of the UT football program has come to a close. It was an experience I will remember forever. I am so grateful for all the blessings and opportunities the Lord has given me to grow and learn from while I’ve been here. My family has been with me and encouraged me along this journey. I want to thank all the staff who are a part of this program for all they have done for me spiritually, academically, and athletically. I want to thank Coach Strong for giving me the opportunity to play and go to school at one of the best universities there is, and also Coach Herman and Coach Giles for teaching me things I will carry with me the rest of my life whether it’s on the field or off. To my teammates who I worked day in and day out with, I wish y’all the best this season and have nothing but good memories and love for y’all”.

Fitzgerald was not expected to be a major contributor this season.

Texas A&M Targets and Possible Fall Out
– Super K

After Dan Wolken dropped that doozy of an article, I almost immediately starting running through the possible recruiting fall out and what it might mean for Texas.

Here are a few guys that came to mind…

***DeMarvin Leal: This was one that many, myself included, believed would be a fight Texas would win outright. I’ve spoken to Leal’s mother on many occasions and even before the TAMU commitment, she seemed to be leaning towards Texas. Since his commitment, Leal did visit Texas for an official visit. I asked his mother last night if they’d make a return visit this season and she said she wasn’t sure yet.

If TAMU isn’t able to hold on to Leal, Texas will be his likely landing spot.

***Kenyon Green: Before Green committed to Texas A&M he had an unofficial top three of Texas, Texas A&M, and OU. I spoke with Green’s father earlier today and he is aware of the allegations. I asked if they are still hearing from schools and he said they are indeed – Texas, OU, LSU, etc. are all trying to get them to at least take official visits this season. As of right now they have none set and when I spoke to them earlier in the summer, it didn’t sound like it was even a possibility.

This could change that and if it does, then Texas would probably be one of two or three schools they’ll consider.

***Brian Williams: Before his commitment to Texas A&M, Williams was a guy who seemed destined to end up at Texas. Since his commitment, he hasn’t even bothered taking a return trip.

***Demani Richardson: I’ve always believed that if Richardson ever made in on campus for a visit, Texas would win him over. If this story gets bigger, perhaps that will finally happen.

Just to be clear, Richardson did visit Texas for a couple of camps but has never done the red carpet visit.

The question I have with Richardson and Williams is; Will something possibly happen soon enough? As of right now, it would appear Texas has one more spot left at safety and Tyler Owens is likely to announce sometime in late September. Are Williams and Richardson takes regardless?

***Dylan Wright: The sudden turn of this one to Texas A&M is difficult to explain. The family grew up Longhorn fans. The family mentioned they’d like to wait and watch the teams they’re interested in and see how they perform on the field. I had even spoken to Wrights father about helping them do a top five video. Then, suddenly Wright commits to Texas A&M.

If Wright doesn’t end up at Texas A&M then the smart money is on Texas.

***Marcus Stripling: Stripling has visited Texas a number of times. His unofficial top three would be Texas A&M, OU, and Alabama. Smart money on Stripling would be OU if he doesn’t end up at Texas A&M. However, if Texas A&M were to drop out, I wonder if that shakes things up enough to get Texas a cleaner shot. He has told me, recently, that Texas would get one of his official visits.

***David Ugwoegbu: This is a name you probably haven’t heard much. Ugwoegbu is a 2019 DE at Seven Lakes (Katy). I plan on seeing him in person later today. He’s a Texas A&M lean with OU probably running second. Texas is interested but I’m told he has hasn’t been particularly responsive. It’s interesting that the guys who are Texas A&M leans seem to minimize communication with Texas.

Should TAMU fall out, does it open the door for Texas to finally make a move here?

***Christian Harris: 2019 TAMU LB commit, Christian Harris actually visited Texas back in May. Harris committed to Texas A&M earlier this month. I’m checking with Harris to see if he will take an official visit to Texas.

Texas needs linebackers and Harris was clearly interested in Texas before his committed, so this one might be one to watch.

Quick-Hitters | Shhh & OC Rumor
– Super K

***I know some of you have been wondering when the most recent “shhh” is set to be announced.

I had heard that it was originally expected to happen a week or so after Bryan Carrington posted the shhh. I’m told that the delay is due to the production of a commitment video.

Side note: No, we are not producing the video. As a rule, we never permit our production to delay the commitment timeline.

***Rumor: Heard an interesting rumor the other day that I had me intrigued. Figured there was no harm in passing it along to you all to chew on.

I was told by a couple folks, that barring some miracle, this will likely be David Beaty’s last year at Kansas.

One of the sources told me that Beaty would be Texas’ OC target, should they be in the market for one at that time. Source sound quite certain but obviously it’s way too early to call it anything but a rumor. Still an interesting thing to think about and a move that could make a lot of sense for Texas from both a coaching and recruiting perspective.

Super K isn't very subtle about A&M's recruiting. 

Edited by Skyline

7 minutes ago, Skyline said:

Hide contents

– Charlie S

Texas announced that sophomore defensive lineman Andrew Fitzgerald will no longer play football.

“My chapter here as part of the UT football program has come to a close. It was an experience I will remember forever. I am so grateful for all the blessings and opportunities the Lord has given me to grow and learn from while I’ve been here. My family has been with me and encouraged me along this journey. I want to thank all the staff who are a part of this program for all they have done for me spiritually, academically, and athletically. I want to thank Coach Strong for giving me the opportunity to play and go to school at one of the best universities there is, and also Coach Herman and Coach Giles for teaching me things I will carry with me the rest of my life whether it’s on the field or off. To my teammates who I worked day in and day out with, I wish y’all the best this season and have nothing but good memories and love for y’all”.

– Super K

After Dan Wolken dropped that doozy of an article, I almost immediately starting running through the possible recruiting fall out and what it might mean for Texas.

***DeMarvin Leal: This was one that many, myself included, believed would be a fight Texas would win outright. I’ve spoken to Leal’s mother on many occasions and even before the TAMU commitment, she seemed to be leaning towards Texas. Since his commitment, Leal did visit Texas for an official visit. I asked his mother last night if they’d make a return visit this season and she said she wasn’t sure yet.

***Kenyon Green: Before Green committed to Texas A&M he had an unofficial top three of Texas, Texas A&M, and OU. I spoke with Green’s father earlier today and he is aware of the allegations. I asked if they are still hearing from schools and he said they are indeed – Texas, OU, LSU, etc. are all trying to get them to at least take official visits this season. As of right now they have none set and when I spoke to them earlier in the summer, it didn’t sound like it was even a possibility.

This could change that and if it does, then Texas would probably be one of two or three schools they’ll consider.

***Brian Williams: Before his commitment to Texas A&M, Williams was a guy who seemed destined to end up at Texas. Since his commitment, he hasn’t even bothered taking a return trip.

***Demani Richardson: I’ve always believed that if Richardson ever made in on campus for a visit, Texas would win him over. If this story gets bigger, perhaps that will finally happen.

Just to be clear, Richardson did visit Texas for a couple of camps but has never done the red carpet visit.

The question I have with Richardson and Williams is; Will something possibly happen soon enough? As of right now, it would appear Texas has one more spot left at safety and Tyler Owens is likely to announce sometime in late September. Are Williams and Richardson takes regardless?

***Dylan Wright: The sudden turn of this one to Texas A&M is difficult to explain. The family grew up Longhorn fans. The family mentioned they’d like to wait and watch the teams they’re interested in and see how they perform on the field. I had even spoken to Wrights father about helping them do a top five video. Then, suddenly Wright commits to Texas A&M.

***Marcus Stripling: Stripling has visited Texas a number of times. His unofficial top three would be Texas A&M, OU, and Alabama. Smart money on Stripling would be OU if he doesn’t end up at Texas A&M. However, if Texas A&M were to drop out, I wonder if that shakes things up enough to get Texas a cleaner shot. He has told me, recently, that Texas would get one of his official visits.

***David Ugwoegbu: This is a name you probably haven’t heard much. Ugwoegbu is a 2019 DE at Seven Lakes (Katy). I plan on seeing him in person later today. He’s a Texas A&M lean with OU probably running second. Texas is interested but I’m told he has hasn’t been particularly responsive. It’s interesting that the guys who are Texas A&M leans seem to minimize communication with Texas.

Should TAMU fall out, does it open the door for Texas to finally make a move here?

***Christian Harris: 2019 TAMU LB commit, Christian Harris actually visited Texas back in May. Harris committed to Texas A&M earlier this month. I’m checking with Harris to see if he will take an official visit to Texas.

Texas needs linebackers and Harris was clearly interested in Texas before his committed, so this one might be one to watch.

– Super K

***I know some of you have been wondering when the most recent “shhh” is set to be announced.

I had heard that it was originally expected to happen a week or so after Bryan Carrington posted the shhh. I’m told that the delay is due to the production of a commitment video.

Side note: No, we are not producing the video. As a rule, we never permit our production to delay the commitment timeline.

***Rumor: Heard an interesting rumor the other day that I had me intrigued. Figured there was no harm in passing it along to you all to chew on.

I was told by a couple folks, that barring some miracle, this will likely be David Beaty’s last year at Kansas.

One of the sources told me that Beaty would be Texas’ OC target, should they be in the market for one at that time. Source sound quite certain but obviously it’s way too early to call it anything but a rumor. Still an interesting thing to think about and a move that could make a lot of sense for Texas from both a coaching and recruiting perspective.

Boy that note about Wright was straight "yeah he got bought"

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Skyline said:

Reveal hidden contents

– Charlie S

– Super K

– Super K

Don't want Beaty as an OC

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

Don't want Beaty as an OC

Damned fucking straight. Don't really want Kliff, either, but he is hell and gone better than Beaty.

Beaty's only claim to fame is as a recruiting rainmaker, and I have to be honest... his reputation there is not enough to make me overlook his deficiencies as a coach. Do not want. Sorry, just do not. Give me somebody more cerebral. By even a smidgen. Jesus, there's half a dozen coaching types on Surly who would do better. Snacks or Bobby Batronic either one would be better.  I figure Bobby B. is too self-aware to take the job, and Snacks has better things to do.

1 minute ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Damned fucking straight. Don't really want Kliff, either, but he is hell and gone better than Beaty.

Beaty's only claim to fame is as a recruiting rainmaker, and I have to be honest... his reputation there is not enough to make me overlook his deficiencies as a coach. Do not want. Sorry, just do not. Give me somebody more cerebral. By even a smidgen. Jesus, there's half a dozen coaching types on Surly who would do better. Snacks or Bobby Batronic either one would be better.  I figure Bobby B. is too self-aware to take the job, and Snacks has better things to do.

Like whom, may I ask? Not advocating for Beatty just curious what names would be out there after this season. 

3 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

I don’t buy the bagmen stuff. If Texas and TCU have a successful season and A&M has the poor season everyone expects I think you’ll see that class come apart. 

Ole Miss had a pretty successful bagman related season after fucking a hamster on the football field the previous season. I can see aggy holding their bought and paid for class together. The thing is, no matter how talented the class, if they have zero discipline (and, let's face it, aggy has a problem on that front even on the rare occasion that they follow the rules) they will suck anyway.

Aggy can cheat to their heart's content, they will still suck. It is the aggy way.

• Like 1

Not that it’s even a legitimate option, but would Kliff be viewed as a bad chemistry fit? I am in no way saying I would ever advocate that particular style of offense, It just seems, from my observations over the years that the teams that run the air raid offenses have never been able to roll out a defense on a comparable level. I realize that most of the successful air raid teams came out of necessity from organizations that typically cannot hang toe to toe with quality programs that had the horses to just line up and dominate physically. See Oregon, Tech, etc. I guess my point/question is, since I have yet to see such an offense successfully operate with a dominate defense I remain skeptical they can coexist. I’m open to examples.

I don’t buy the bagmen stuff. If Texas and TCU have a successful season and A&M has the poor season everyone expects I think you’ll see that class come apart. 
I think you'll find that even if aggy implodes, some recruits will remain mysteriously "loyal" to aggy. They are beyond desperate not just for a chamionship, but just to be in the conversation as contenders. Everyone can see that, and they don't even really try to hide the fact they've fully embraced the SEC ways, why do you doubt?

2 hours ago, CastHorn said:

When you come out of your cave please answer me this: When is the last time aggie recruited at an elite level without cheating?

• Like 1

If we're visiting fairy tale unicorn land, I'd love to have Kliff as a playcaller. That said, I think both sides recognize bringing him to Texas would create a "too many cooks in the kitchen" situation with Herman. I'm sure each of them are convinced that the one true path to perfect college offense runs through him, and neither is particularly interested in having the other tell him what to do. If there was some way to bring him in to execute Herman's offense, then yes, please.

As far as Beaty goes...I guess he'd be better than Tim Beck as a playcaller? He's a plus - maybe even elite - recruiter, but is he actually a good coach? I'll admit I'm not an expert on him, but there's nothing about his track record that's particularly impressive. I think we can do better, though I'm hard pressed to think of a name. I wouldn't be horribly disappointed if he was the pick, and he might be acceptable for a year or two before he moves back to head coaching at Southwestern Who Gives a Fuck State.

Ideally, I'd like to keep Beck on staff; his Arizona connections and oft-overlooked skill as a recruiter are a huge plus. I also don't think he's completely terrible as a coach, and him in a nominal co-OC role with zero playcalling input functioning as the WR coach wouldn't bother me at all.

2 hours ago, CastHorn said:

These first year classes rarely come apart. Jimbo has playing time galore to sell if they're losing, and the promise of development if they're winning. These recruits have been a part of a class for months, some losses won't change anything unless something monumental like sanctions are thrown down. 

1 hour ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Bru McCoy and Mater Dei on ESPNU right vs. Bishop Gorman.

Bryce Young can run the ball, but looks like he couldn't hit a barn if he threw a bus at it.  

On the one pass he caught, McCoy looks like he could play some receiver.

I came away impressed. Mater Dei destroyed Bishop. Could also see why teams are wanting Bru to play LB. He can do it all. Wouldn’t mind having him on the 40 acres