Texas recruiting notes 2019

21 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Andrew Fitzgerald is retiring. Another spot open.

Ugh, just ugh:

Is this normal with a coaching staff change? I realize these players are buried in the depth chart but just curious. I didn’t follow it as closely with CS took over. Did this attrition happen then also?

4 minutes ago, okiehorn said:

Is this normal with a coaching staff change? I realize these players are buried in the depth chart but just curious. I didn’t follow it as closely with CS took over. Did this attrition happen then also?

The '16 class is not exactly living up to its ranking, but aside from that an annual purge of the 3rd and 4th stringers is pretty normal. He's responding to an aggy troll, but Brian Davis actually got this right:

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

The '16 class is not exactly living up to its ranking, but aside from that an annual purge of the 3rd and 4th stringers is pretty normal. He's responding to an aggy troll, but Brian Davis actually got this right:

If you know this is a good thing, why were you whining about it 3 posts earlier?

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

6 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Saw an article about Jaylen Waddle, freshman at Bama, one of our big misses.  Apparently, he's turning heads and none of the db's can cover him.  I hate losing these Texas boys to OOS schools.  

You know we are still expecting him on campus, right?

5 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

If you know this is a good thing, why were you whining about it 3 posts earlier?

Roster churn: generally good

Only 18/28 guys left in an ostensibly top 10 class by the start of their junior year: not awesome.

Basically its good that an underproducing player has been fully recruited over, but you'd hope a class that highly ranked would have produced more impact upperclassmen.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, okiehorn said:

Carrington is THIS CLOSE to qualifying. Moving into the dorm this weekend. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Seems we both misspelled Waddle. 

I'm still wondering what happened to the guy from Fox Tech who was ruled academically ineligible by the NCAA. Aaron, somebody. I've heard he could be a difference maker.

Edited by Bevo

For years oU and OSU would sign a bunch of three stars and then turn around and be very competitive on the field (although now both are getting a bunch more 4/5). They were doing a great job of eval. Strong was picking up a lot of 4 stars that other top programs didn’t want.

I believe Herman and staff are now doing great evals and this is why I am finally a little more bullish about our prospects for winning. I’d be really bullish if we can prove we have an offense.

E.J. Holland: Takeaways from watching UT commit Chris Adimora

— The one thing that stood out to me the most about Texas defensive back commit Chris Adimora was his versatility. Adimora mostly played high safety but also lined up in the nickel, made plays at wide receiver and returned punts. Adimora does a little bit of everything for Mayfair, and it’s clear Cal High game planned around him. In fact, I spoke to the Cal High head coach before the game, and he called Adimora a ‘different animal' and a guy they wanted to stay away from. Still, Adimora finished the game with four tackles, 45 receiving yards and a touchdown. He also had a 38-yard touchdown on a shovel pass called back due to holding. Overall, Adimora is a very enticing athlete.

— So where does he fit in at the next level? After seeing Adimora live, I definitely think he’s a great fit at free safety. Adimora has terrific straight-line speed to go along with natural cover skills and great length. The four-star prospect covers a lot of ground on the back end and is an intimidating force. Cal High mostly stayed away from Adimora as he was never tested deep. I could see Adimora moving to strong safety if he adds weight — he can deliver some big hits — or even playing in the nickel. But free safety seems to be his natural position in the secondary.

— While Adimora has a lot of natural ability, he is still a raw athlete. Adimora has some work to do from a technical standpoint and would benefit from a redshirt year, which can be afforded given UT’s historic secondary haul last cycle. Remember, Adimora’s main focus was on basketball just a few years ago, so he is still progressing as a pure football player. Of course, that also means he still has a lot of upside. I would also like to see Adimora play with more energy moving forward.

— As far as his commitment goes, Adimora told me he is 100 percent solid to Texas. He is not listening to any other schools and is locked in thanks to his relationship with the staff. Adimora hopes to make it to Austin for UT’s game against USC on Sept. 15. He will make his official visit to Texas in December.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Can you spare $100,000 and your personal integrity? If so, I can help you keep the next Waddle from leaving the state.

One thing that drives me crazy, is when people say Alabama doesn't have to cheat: Guys go there to win championships. And then the Bama alumni say that Saban doesn't tolerate boosters. I'm already hearing the same shit with Georgia. Fuck both those schools.

10 minutes ago, Bevo said:

One thing that drives me crazy, is when people say Alabama doesn't have to cheat: Guys go there to win championships. And then the Bama alumni say that Saban doesn't tolerate boosters. I'm already hearing the same shit with Georgia. Fuck both those schools.

Of course Saban doesn't tolerate boosters. He hired Tosh Lupoi to make sure the boosters/bagmen pay up.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bevo said:

It's not just those two schools, it's part of the sec code of conduct in that league. 

• Like 1

I think we should do something no one has ever done, surly. Take the money that was being raised for the site and dangle it in front of desired recruits. Basically say hey you can have this or________. I'm sure we could figure out a good fill in the blank there. This would help up get the leals and mccoys, guaranteed. First person that say boosters already do this... wrong. Last part of plan, snax and Vic deliver the message with a chola in tow on a boat for "implications". There's always "implications" on a boat. #blackbearsarethedeadliest. #surlydiditfirst

18 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

I think we should do something no one has ever done, surly. Take the money that was being raised for the site and dangle it in front of desired recruits. Basically say hey you can have this or________. I'm sure we could figure out a good fill in the blank there. This would help up get the leals and mccoys, guaranteed. First person that say boosters already do this... wrong. Last part of plan, snax and Vic deliver the message with a chola in tow on a boat for "implications". There's always "implications" on a boat. #blackbearsarethedeadliest. #surlydiditfirst

We are the bagboard. 

What's to keep a rich t-shirt fan with no ties to the school from spreading a little financial help to a struggling kid that just wants to go to UT? Let's just also say this kid happens to be a blue chip prospect. It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of that goes on at Bama. I swear the time I've spent in that state, I haven't seen or spoken with very many people that seem educated. Then again, maybe it's just their culture to look like that.

23 minutes ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

What's to keep a rich t-shirt fan with no ties to the school from spreading a little financial help to a struggling kid that just wants to go to UT? Let's just also say this kid happens to be a blue chip prospect. It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of that goes on at Bama. I swear the time I've spent in that state, I haven't seen or spoken with very many people that seem educated. Then again, maybe it's just their culture to look like that.

We've talked about it a bunch, but yeah, the schools that aren't aggie-level morons have it figured out. One of the guys covering Clemson for either Rivals or 247, I can't remember, is a fucking bagman for the school. Ol'Dabo also has an arrangement with a church for funneling money. Tosh Lupoi's single greatest trait is that he's completely devoid of integrity. He's a sociopath without a conscience. He's been funneling money and cheating since he started coaching. It's fucking stunning that he is Saban's DC this year. That won't go as well as either hope. Georgia has a payment program for handlers that is tiered from unofficial visits up to signed LOIs. The list goes on. There's all kinds of ways to do it.

Countering all of this is, of course, the argument that "is paying players or their handlers that big of a deal?". And on that one, I will admit, I struggle a little more these days than I used to, and I don't think I've had some sort of dip in my personal sense of integrity. If it isn't illegal, and the NCAA isn't going to do anything about any of it, then what is the problem? Holding your nose as you point your fingers and give yourself the assurances that you have more class than your trashy neighbors who keep playing for and winning national titles is cold comfort as a 5 year record of 31-32 follows you around.

• Like 5

We've talked about it a bunch, but yeah, the schools that aren't aggie-level morons have it figured out. One of the guys covering Clemson for either Rivals or 247, I can't remember, is a fucking bagman for the school. Ol'Dabo also has an arrangement with a church for funneling money. Tosh Lupoi's single greatest trait is that he's completely devoid of integrity. He's a sociopath without a conscience. He's been funneling money and cheating since he started coaching. It's fucking stunning that he is Saban's DC this year. That won't go as well as either hope. Georgia has a payment program for handlers that is tiered from unofficial visits up to signed LOIs. The list goes on. There's all kinds of ways to do it.
Countering all of this is, of course, the argument that "is paying players or their handlers that big of a deal?". And on that one, I will admit, I struggle a little more these days than I used to, and I don't think I've had some sort of dip in my personal sense of integrity. If it isn't illegal, and the NCAA isn't going to do anything about any of it, then what is the problem? Holding your nose as you point your fingers and give yourself the assurances that you have more class than your trashy neighbors who keep playing for and winning national titles is cold comfort as a 5 year record of 31-32 follows you around.
I'm sure we've talked about this before, but there are three options and Texas has always chosen the dumbest and weakest.

You can play the game like everyone else. You can stay clean and turn in cheaters you have information on. Or you can stay clean, never turn anyone in, and cry about it privately to your own supporters so they feel sorry for you.

I came to the conclusion a decade ago that if we're not going to actively turn people in then we should join them. Fuck it.
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I'm sure we've talked about this before, but there are three options and Texas has always chosen the dumbest and weakest.

You can play the game like everyone else. You can stay clean and turn in cheaters you have information on. Or you can stay clean, never turn anyone in, and cry about it privately to your own supporters so they feel sorry for you.

I came to the conclusion a decade ago that if we're not going to actively turn people in then we should join them. Fuck it.

If we are not paying players and handlers then we are doing this with one arm tied behind our back. I too used to be outraged at payments to players but over the years have realized if there ever was a victimless crime, this as close to it as it gets.    

Watching coaches like Urban Meyer and Art Briles make millions while covering up real criminal activity is the issue. I do not care anymore if we had to pay Lyles 30k to Lache Seatrunk to come to Texas. I was pissed at the time but in hindsight, who fucking cares? Giving an inner city kid 20k is not exactly the worst thing in the world. 

19 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I am firmly in the turn them in crowd. If that turns into tilting at windmills, fuck it.

Integrity is integrity. Values matter. If you choose to join the cynical hordes, then give up all pretentions and kill yourself, because at that point nothing fucking matters.

When I read Dostoevsky or Tolstoy, I'm not leaping with joy at the thought of becoming another fucking nihilist shitbag. I have values, I believe in them, and I don't give a shit if the rest of the world is turning a blind eye. The fact that they are stupid is not the only reason to look down on aggy. The fact that they are slimy shitbags far, far outweighs their stupidity on my list of reasons to hate them.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

If we are not paying players and handlers then we are doing this with one arm tied behind our back. I too used to be outraged at payments to players but over the years have realized if there ever was a victimless crime, this as close to it as it gets.    

Watching coaches like Urban Meyer and Art Briles make millions while covering up real criminal activity is the issue. I do not care anymore if we had to pay Lyles 30k to Lache Seatrunk to come to Texas. I was pissed at the time but in hindsight, who fucking cares? Giving an inner city kid 20k is not exactly the worst thing in the world. 

I agree. My limits on maintaining my love for Texas football fall shy of any of the shit we've witnessed at MSU, PSU, OSU, or Baylor. Frankly, running a criminal program such as those previously at Miami and OU also would make me sick and I'd pull my support and do other shit. That considered, whatever my limits are inside of that, I have a lot of confidence that if Herman wins and gains enough power, he's going to help me begin to find them. I'm certain my concerns are well out past working with handlers at this point, however. 

3 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I am firmly in the turn them in crowd. If that turns into tilting at windmills, fuck it.

Integrity is integrity. Values matter. If you choose to join the cynical hordes, then give up all pretentions and kill yourself, because at that point nothing fucking matters.

When I read Dostoevsky or Tolstoy, I'm not leaping with joy at the thought of becoming another fucking nihilist shitbag. I have values, I believe in them, and I don't give a shit if the rest of the world is turning a blind eye. The fact that they are stupid is not the only reason to look down on aggy. The fact that they are slimy shitbags far, far outweighs their stupidity on my list of reasons to hate them.

I dont think anyone here advocated abandoning values. It’s a sham of a rule that is arbitrary and put in place by an institution that itself has no interest in enforcing. If the body that governs has all but said this is OK, we are only following this rule for the sake of perception. 

And I say, fuck that. 

• Like 1

Paying players is simply not acceptable and I will not support a coach that allows it. They get paid plenty in the form of a scholarship. Who cares if they have to spend nearly every waking hour either in class or doing football related activities? Or that they are sacrificing their bodies and future long term health in exchange for that scholarship? Can you imagine if you paid them cash on top of all that? What would they even do with it? Probably spend it on drugs and booze and jewelry, which just shows how entitled they already are as football players. No regular college kid would spend money on that stuff. And another thing, no one comes to football games to see the players, they come because of the name on the jersey and to support the athletic department and keep its revenue up. The players don't even really matter when you get to watch a 15,000 foot jumbotron covered in ads for banks and hospitals, that's why fans go to the games. Paying players anything extra is unfair, unjust, and unAmerican. God bless.  

• Like 6

The problem we have is that all our competitors hate us more than they like themselves. Just look around, we are the common enemy.

We have a respected leader in CDC who will treat the media, our fans and our students with respect. He will also hold all of those groups accountable. The CDC hire shows me that Fenves understands how to build a winner, with the integrity we all expect.

24 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I would rather pay Seastrunk and his mom 30K and let Lyles stock liquor at Specks. It is worse when some shady hanger on gets the proceeds not the player. I lean towards the 'turn 'em end' side of the spectrum, but the NCAA itself is unadulterated garbage, so I guess do what you need to do but be discrete.

31 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Is there a rule against paying handlers, though? I have never looked. If they report it as income, I assume they're legal.

I've been paid for one ostensible reason and then used for another, and I imagine most of us have done work outside of our contract or job description at some point in time. There's nothing unethical, immoral, or illegal about it in the business world. If a school is paying a "scout" for information about players, or a "trainer" to get them to expose their clients to the school, it's probably within NCAA rules and it is certainly legal. I'm guessing the contracts in those scenarios don't explicitly stipulate "oh by the way, we also require that the targets you work with also sign with us, kthxbye." Given that, I struggle to work up my outrage these days. 

Anyone know or remember Randy Rodgers? I don't know if he still does, I assume he does, but he at least used to run a scouting service. Schools would come to him and tell him they wanted players in Texas that could help their team that they wouldn't have to fight UT, ATM, or OU for, and they'd pay him for that. Idaho, Iowa, Ithaca, and everyone in between that wasn't a perennial power would do so. Players would also pay him to get covered and scouted by programs. Often times, he'd help a program and a player/player's family connect and get the kid a scholarship. That's basically a handler, directing recruits to schools and getting paid to do it, except damn near everyone involved is white. It was/is a perfectly above board business and transaction for everyone involved.