Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

4 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Why not, he's a good recruiter. He pulled talent to Ohio State from locations outside Ohio continuously. Maybe the coaching staff prioritized the players from Arizona over the ones from Dallas, because most of them have real off the field issues.

This is the real story. Lot's of talented mercurial kids this cycle out of DFW with bad mental and character evals. If Texas decides that we want kids out of DFW, then we will get some kids out of DFW. 

2 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Assuming guys like Warehime, Mehringer, Giles, and Beck are fired after the season, are there any decent high school coaches in DFW that could step in and help like Jeff Traylor did? 

Not sure about that, but if we can snag Beatty after this year, then DFW recruiting could pick up in a hurry. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Not sure about that, but if we can snag Beatty after this year, then DFW recruiting could pick up in a hurry. 

Provided the recruits aren't coached by shady trainers, perhaps. Wasn't there some concern about Beatty being a little sketch (apologies if I'm totally off base)?

Edited by UDontKnow

32 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

As someone stated earlier, two of the most talented DFW kids in 2020 are Duncanville kids where we have an in at. That alone should help imo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

I feel like DFW people get much more antsy when we miss or don't take their local kids than Houstonians do. Funny cultural note.

OU pulls more students from DFW than LSU does from Houston, largely because of the automatic acceptance rules. Add the number of OU grads who come to DFW for jobs (and having conference mate TCU right there), and the Metroplex seems more vulnerable to becoming their territory as much as Texas’. If aggy and LSU get their shit together enough to even sniff OU’s level of success, Houston Texas Exes will be just as antsy. 

23 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

As someone stated earlier, two of the most talented DFW kids in 2020 are Duncanville kids where we have an in at. That alone should help imo.

Someone will hire Samples as a WR coach soon enough, ideally he is here a few more years.

1 hour ago, SizzleChest said:

DFW is basically Norman south in a few respects, and since A&M and LSU have not exactly been tearing it up the last few years (combined with all the Houston connections on his staff), it's no surprise things have seriously tilted away from DFW.

Didn’t realize you said basically the same thing. +rep

32 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

Orlando gets his HC. LSU implodes. We get Aranda. 

Id hope Orlando ends up being our career DC. But how realistic is that?

If Herman gets this program rolling again, I would be tempted to stay if I were him. The money is great as is every other aspect of life. 

Of course, I don't have the kind of fire it takes to pay your dues and climb the coaching ladder. Even if I did, I'd still want to watch Herman and consider if it's worth it to take on all the stuff a head coach has to take on outside of building a football team. Orlando comes across as smart and articulate but I don't see him at ease as a head coach.

But I don't know shit about fuck. It would be hard to turn down a top 20 job, but is that where his best offers will come from? Would he go back to Houston? He did want the job when Herman left, would he now?

I guess my post has deteriorated into a muse. I'm a Longhorn and I'd be happy to be a millionaire in Austin and parking at Belmont every day.

22 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

If Herman gets this program rolling again, I would be tempted to stay if I were him. The money is great as is every other aspect of life. 

Of course, I don't have the kind of fire it takes to pay your dues and climb the coaching ladder. Even if I did, I'd still want to watch Herman and consider if it's worth it to take on all the stuff a head coach has to take on outside of building a football team. Orlando comes across as smart and articulate but I don't see him at ease as a head coach.

But I don't know shit about fuck. It would be hard to turn down a top 20 job, but is that where his best offers will come from? Would he go back to Houston? He did want the job when Herman left, would he now?

I guess my post has deteriorated into a muse. I'm a Longhorn and I'd be happy to be a millionaire in Austin and parking at Belmont every day.

If Herman were to turn Texas back into Playoff contention over the next 3 years and TO is the coach we think he is, he could be making up to $2M annually. And he would be worth it.

5 hours ago, Machinator said:

Are you asking why we should not try to improve our recruiting in one of the most fertile in-state recruiting grounds?

4 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

No, I'm saying there are reasons why it hasn't been prioritized the 1st 2 years as opposed to other areas. The only guy that is a real loss from the area so far was Brian Williams.

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Lulz.

The premise that HtownHorn thinks it's perfectly fine to have abdicated one of the top 4 fertile recruiting grounds in the entire country because, basically, "they don't have any of them good kids there anymore", tells you everything you need to know about this goober as a poster. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The premise that HtownHorn thinks it's perfectly fine to have abdicated one of the top 4 fertile recruiting grounds in the entire country because, basically, "they don't have any of them good kids there anymore", tells you everything you need to know about this goober as a poster. 

Lulz. You really are a fucking idiot, but you do have your socks up voting you, so congrats.

31 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Lulz. You really are a fucking idiot, but you do have your socks up voting you, so congrats.

a) You can address any points that I make on their own basis and I'll gladly walk down that course with you. Or we could have a spelling contest. Or some other delightful game of wits. Have at it.

b) I know you'd like to find comfort in the concept that "surely, I'm not the only wizard who sees things straight and this guy has to be gaming his own posts", but the thought's never crossed my mind until you brought it up. That tells me it's likely a concept you've acted upon for yourself before, and it must be really important to you. And that's ... kind of sad, honestly.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Assuming guys like Warehime, Mehringer, Giles, and Beck are fired after the season, are there any decent high school coaches in DFW that could step in and help like Jeff Traylor did? 

If Herman really has to fire 4 of his coaches after Year 2, why would you have faith he would get it right the second time?

• Like 2

Orlando is not fucking leaving after this season for a HC job. Stop pushing that fucking narrative. We will money whip him if he has a great season.  Make him the highest paid DC in the country. It really isn't that hard. The more you talk about that shit, the more the idiot reporters pick up on it and start asking that question at the press conferences. It seems like it wasn't that long ago that people were pissing their pants on message boards about the thought of losing Manny Diaz after one season of success. Then the "Fuck Lions" happened. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

Orlando is not fucking leaving after this season for a HC job. Stop pushing that fucking narrative. We will money whip him if he has a great season.  Make him the highest paid DC in the country. 

I wish I could share your confidence, if it's real.  He wants to be a head coach and will continue to be in demand as long as his defenses perform.  We can't pay him more than he can make at a bottom tier P5 school, so if we have a great year and some place that has a perrenially shitty defense, like North Carolina, comes calling, I can see it

22 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I wish I could share your confidence, if it's real.  He wants to be a head coach and will continue to be in demand as long as his defenses perform.  We can't pay him more than he can make at a bottom tier P5 school, so if we have a great year and some place that has a perrenially shitty defense, like North Carolina, comes calling, I can see it

To earlier points, I think it is hard for most of us to get worked up over losing coaches. Mack Brown to Cleveland? OMFG!?!?! Gene Chizik to Iowa State?!?!?! Hot Christ, we're in deep shit!?!?! Will Muschamp to UF? HFS!?!?! Manny Diaz to Dumbfuckistan? FML?!?!?! Whatever the fuck.

If the people in charge are doing it right, Texas is a destination job for assistants and HCs alike. You'll have more fun as a fan when you ditch the handwringing on coaching turnover. Some guys on the staff need to go, and that's almost always a given, and some guys on the staff will be unretainable if the HC is doing it right. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SizzleChest said:

Getting a guy like Beaty and then hiring a couple of rainmakers that are well known and respected in DFW for TE and DL coach would go a long way to fixing DFW.  But, that means Herman will have made at least 3 staff changes in the offseason.  Low probability outcome.

If it takes 3 staff changes to fix Dallas, then we are fucked. It should take 1 coach to recruit and 1 person to dollar match the SEC bagmen offers.

22 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

It was used to some fairly pretentious affect by Irish poet Lucy Grealy once. So you've got that going for you.

How often do you juxtapose your thoughts with your city of employment and say "what in the fuck".  I'm just curious.  I mean, you must have a completely unretainable job outside of Lit Station.

• Haha 1

E.J. Holland: Elite DB Jalen Catalon talks Texas, recruiting

Jalen Catalon is still taking a wait and see approach when it comes to recruiting. The four-star defensive back out of Mansfield Legacy is one of the most highly touted prospects in the state and holds more than 20 offers from across the country. But he’s in no hurry to end the process. “The only official visit I have set is to Arkansas,” Catalon said. “I’m trying to plan one for Oklahoma. I know I’m going to officially visit Texas after the season. I’m also going to be there for the game against USC. I’m definitely looking forward to that game. It’s going to be live.”

Texas holds 100 percent of Crystal Ball predictions for Catalon, who is still planning on making a decision in January. A big reason for that is the ‘family feel’ he gets every time he steps foot on campus. Catalon was on the Forty Acres shortly before the start of the dead period and is continuing to build a strong bond with both the football and baseball coaching staffs at Texas.

“I have a great relationship with Coach (Craig) Naivar,” Catalon said. “He always stays in contact with me. He’s just been telling me about fall camp and how everything is going. Coach (Drew) Bishop keeps up with me on the baseball side, and I hear from Coach (David) Pierce every now and then. They make you feel like family.”

An impressive season from the Longhorns on the football field could push them over the edge in this recruitment. However, Catalon was reserved when asked about his expectations for UT. “I just want to see them go out there and play hard,” Catalon said. “I know they have the talent to win more than six games. I’m not going to give you an exact prediction. But I think they’ll win more than six games. They have great coaches, and they are ready to turn it around.”

At 5-foot-9, 188 pounds, Catalon is ranked as the No. 12 and No. 164 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite.

21 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

How often do you juxtapose your thoughts with your city of employment and say "what in the fuck".  I'm just curious.  I mean, you must have a completely unretainable job outside of Lit Station.

I'm gone in T-10 months and counting. Meanwhile, I'll keep eating a thesaurus every day as an antidote to teh stoopids.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Not sure if he believes his own posts.  Not thinking many UT grads would agree with him.

Edited by cochamps

Orlando is not fucking leaving after this season for a HC job. Stop pushing that fucking narrative. We will money whip him if he has a great season.  Make him the highest paid DC in the country. It really isn't that hard. The more you talk about that shit, the more the idiot reporters pick up on it and start asking that question at the press conferences. It seems like it wasn't that long ago that people were pissing their pants on message boards about the thought of losing Manny Diaz after one season of success. Then the "Fuck Lions" happened. 

Your confidence is absurd because you have no idea what Orlando wants to do. If Orlando wants to be a head coach - and all indications are that he does - we would have to offer significantly more than what he would expect to get as a head coach of a P5 program. Some middle-tier P5 program may offer him $2.5 million a year, which would be between Dave Cutcliff and DJ Durkin. That sounds about right. And that would be $800k more than Dave Aranda, the highest paid coordinator. So Texas would likely have to greatly exceed what he could make to retain him. That doesn’t sound likely. Under that not-unreasonable scenario it seems much lore likely he takes the head coaching gig. So for you to make ridiculous guarantees about Orlando’s long-term prospects for being the DC at Texas is confusing your own wishes for fact.

8 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Your confidence is absurd because you have no idea what Orlando wants to do. If Orlando wants to be a head coach - and all indications are that he does - we would have to offer significantly more than what he would expect to get as a head coach of a P5 program. Some middle-tier P5 program may offer him $2.5 million a year, which would be between Dave Cutcliff and DJ Durkin. That sounds about right. And that would be $800k more than Dave Aranda, the highest paid coordinator. So Texas would likely have to greatly exceed what he could make to retain him. That doesn’t sound likely. Under that not-unreasonable scenario it seems much lore likely he takes the head coaching gig. So for you to make ridiculous guarantees about Orlando’s long-term prospects for being the DC at Texas is confusing your own wishes for fact.

Understand your point, but Aranda makes $2.5 million thanks to aggy.

11 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

and you are just talking about base salary on this example. HC's always have other revenue streams, from TV shows to sponsorships. things coordinators dont get. 

Personally Orlandos personality type looks like he'd rather be a career DC. but ambition and money are a hell of a lure.

Understand your point, but Aranda makes $2.5 million thanks to aggy.

You’re right. I did a quick google search that was outdated. Doesn’t change my point that you would have to offer significantly more than that to retain a DC that wants to be a head coach if he’s offered a decent job.

Personally Orlandos personality type looks like he'd rather be a career DC.

Not to be combative, but what makes you think that? Has he ever said or implied that? How many top coordinators do you know of that would rather just stay a coordinator? You can probably list them on one hand.

4 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

You’re right. I did a quick google search that was outdated. Doesn’t change my point that you would have to offer significantly more than that to retain a DC that wants to be a head coach if he’s offered a decent job.

Not to be combative, but what makes you think that? Has he ever said or implied that? How many top coordinators do you know of that would rather just stay a coordinator? You can probably list them on one hand.

i dont remember the specifics. I believe it was a media availability last year.. He made a comment about watching Herman dealing with what he has to deal with. and I believe he said  that it wasnt something he'd like? be interested in? But whatever he said,  it came off like he liked a more laid back lifestyle. something a HC job is not. 

or maybe I was drunk and projecting.

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Also, apparently "unretainable" is not a word, but it damn sure should be.

I’m almost certain you’re an attorney at this point, but if that doesn’t work out for you, you should strongly consider working at Merriam-Webster.  I can imagine it would be great fun for you to argue with your coworkers about what words should be words. 

I still want audit or serve as a strategic observer to one of these business meetings both you and Sydney participate in.  Would be great laughs IRL.

25 minutes ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

I’m almost certain you’re an attorney at this point, but if that doesn’t work out for you, you should strongly consider working at Merriam-Webster.  I can imagine it would be great fun for you to argue with your coworkers about what words should be words. 

I still want audit or serve as a strategic observer to one of these business meetings both you and Sydney participate in.  Would be great laughs IRL.

hey, glen, fuck off.  I wouldn’t let you strategically observe me taking a dump. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

a) You can address any points that I make on their own basis and I'll gladly walk down that course with you. Or we could have a spelling contest. Or some other delightful game of wits. Have at it.

b) I know you'd like to find comfort in the concept that "surely, I'm not the only wizard who sees things straight and this guy has to be gaming his own posts", but the thought's never crossed my mind until you brought it up. That tells me it's likely a concept you've acted upon for yourself before, and it must be really important to you. And that's ... kind of sad, honestly.

Anyone making an argument that Texas is ceding D/FW based on the SSS of the last 2 recruiting years is a fucking retarded moron. It's not shocking this premise started at Orangebloods and made it's way here, and you ran with it in your never ending quest to be the loudest jackass on this thread.

21 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Anyone making an argument that Texas is ceding D/FW based on the SSS of the last 2 recruiting years is a fucking retarded moron. It's not shocking this premise started at Orangebloods and made it's way here, and you ran with it in your never ending quest to be the loudest jackass on this thread.

Brian, I’ll be honest. I don’t understand what any of that means.