Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

I hope Chris Warren’s success doesn’t hurt RB recruiting. I’m still not clear why he didn’t pan out here at RB. I know there is the supposed “saving himself for the nfl” issue but even with that I wouldn’t think a position change would have been the answer. The whole situation was strange.

Also, seeing Curtis transfer so fast also surprises me. Is the staff being too blunt about playing time potential? Some players change over a year or two. It seems like the recruiting strategy is super aggressive about cycling thru players that don’t fit. Is Alabama this aggressive?

Warren wasn't a good fit for this offense.

3 hours ago, Newy25 said:

I am still trying to figure out what Strong was actually good at. Nothing seems like the correct answer. His evaluations were extremely poor, his players were soft, the conditioning program was garbage and he had no idea what he was doing on game day. Herman and his staff come in late in the 2017 cycle and cobble together a class that passes up almost every single one of Charlie’s guys. 

Now that his South Florida team is not stocked with top quality returning upper classmen I suspect things are going to go south pretty quickly for him. 

It shouldn’t be shocking that Herman’s guys came in and fit better, they were his guys. That’s how it often works with coaching changes.

Chris Warren obviously has talent, as he’s showing in Oakland right now. Does that count as a bad eval because he was so underwhelming here? Or was he just not Herman’s type of guy?

24 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

It shouldn’t be shocking that Herman’s guys came in and fit better, they were his guys. That’s how it often works with coaching changes.

Chris Warren obviously has talent, as he’s showing in Oakland right now. Does that count as a bad eval because he was so underwhelming here? Or was he just not Herman’s type of guy?

Warren played soft even when Strong was coaching here. If a player has talent but is weak mentally or is unwilling to play hard, that is a bad evaluation. A lot of the guys on that attrition list have loads of talent. The evaluations were mostly bad mental and cultural fits. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Warren played soft even when Strong was coaching here. If a player has talent but is weak mentally or is unwilling to play hard, that is a bad evaluation. A lot of the guys on that attrition list have loads of talent. The evaluations were mostly bad mental and cultural fits. 

Yeah, I guess that makes more sense.

I just remember the same comments being made when Strong got here, because he was playing a ton of young guys that were his recruits too.

37 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Yep.  Look at the current aggy class.  Several bad mental evals in that class.

This is what I really feared about Strong’s recruits. While we were giddy over Malikmas and the signing day massacre, the fact that Strong completely bypassed the high school coaches meant that he couldn’t get the mental and work ethic evaluations of recruits very easily.

Whenever you look at the 4 and 5 star recruiting list, there are always a healthy number of busts. Those busts are not due to physical tools. Physical tools are why they made the 4-5 star list in the first place (unless they were just over-hyped). The busts are due mostly to mental makeup, or injuries. It’s looking more and more like Strong was getting a lot of the 4 stars that lacked the work ethic and/or mental makeup to be successful. Of course, there were probably some 4 stars that should not have been rated 4 stars because they got over-hyped. Strong may have picked up some of those too. Again, the high school coaches are a crucial data source for over-hyped guys.

In summary, it’s looking like Strong’s supposed forte, recruiting, maybe wasn’t quite as good as people thought.

24 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

This is what I really feared about Strong’s recruits. While we were giddy over Malikmas and the signing day massacre, the fact that Strong completely bypassed the high school coaches meant that he couldn’t get the mental and work ethic evaluations of recruits very easily.

Whenever you look at the 4 and 5 star recruiting list, there are always a healthy number of busts. Those busts are not due to physical tools. Physical tools are why they made the 4-5 star list in the first place (unless they were just over-hyped). The busts are due mostly to mental makeup, or injuries. It’s looking more and more like Strong was getting a lot of the 4 stars that lacked the work ethic and/or mental makeup to be successful. Of course, there were probably some 4 stars that should not have been rated 4 stars because they got over-hyped. Strong may have picked up some of those too. Again, the high school coaches are a crucial data source for over-hyped guys.

In summary, it’s looking like Strong’s supposed forte, recruiting, maybe wasn’t quite as good as people thought.

Im not sure I ever really heard anyone say strong’s forte, at any point, was recruiting. Someone else can corrext me if Im mistsken. Now he was a great 1 on 1 recruiter, kids loved him, but I dont think thats what he was known for as a coach ala Mack. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I still think Strong's biggest problem was just that he was a shit coach.

24 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Im not sure I ever really heard anyone say strong’s forte, at any point, was recruiting. Someone else can corrext me if Im mistsken. Now he was a great 1 on 1 recruiter, kids loved him, but I dont think thats what he was known for as a coach ala Mack. 

Contextually, Mack had put so little effort into recruiting at the end, that Strong probably looked great by comparison. And if you consider the NFL draft a guide, then he absolutely brought in more talent than Mack did at the end of his tenure.

Mack's recruiting got really really bad. Everything is relative.

26 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I think the perception that he is known for recruiting was born out of the fact that recruiting seemed like the only thing he did well when he was here. But now we know he fucked the dog in recruiting as well. 

3 hours ago, Machinator said:

Curtis wants playing time, and he was essentially stuck at 3rd or 4th in his position.

This is my take as well. Had he been better inside, he might have seen the field but still would probably be behind the new guys and LJH. And at his natural position (z) he's behind at least 3 in Duvernay, Burt and Heard. Good program guy that wants to see the field. Best wishes wherever he goes.

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

If you remember, his dad ripped Strong on twitter and of course, he didn’t like Herman. A family friend of mine has a son who graduated a couple seasons ago and he said Warren was toxic in the locker room (Always badmouthing position coaches). He wanted to transfer to USF so badly and he couldn’t even sniff the transfer requirements. That’s sad.

Like Newy25 said, terrible mental eval.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Like 3

I think the perception that he is known for recruiting was born out of the fact that recruiting seemed like the only thing he did well when he was here. But now we know he fucked the dog in recruiting as well. 

He also was tagged by Urban as being a key recruiter that helped assemble their national championship teams. Maybe other guys did the eval’s and Strong just closed them.

22 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

Mike Williams

Hadn’t heard anything about him in the practice reports. Yes, he’s an obvious redshirt candidate, but nothing about him “flashing” or being super athletic. I somewhat expected it.  Also nothing about Carson. 

19 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Hadn’t heard anything about him in the practice reports. Yes, he’s an obvious redshirt candidate, but nothing about him “flashing” or being super athletic. I somewhat expected it.  Also nothing about Carson. 

TFB had a report that Williams is up to about 275 lbs. and they love his potential.  Was a pretty positive piece about him.  Haven't seen anything on Carson.  Both will RS anyways.

36 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Yeah based off very early returns it looks like we got the better of the jumbo ATH takes last cycle between Williams and V-Jack.  

Biggest difference is that Mike knows he's a DE, while Vernon wants to keep trying at RB. It will hold Vernon's development back until he eventually moves. 

6 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

It is going to be interesting to me to see what Strong's guys do in the NFL.  I don't think it was an eval problem.  I think it was kids buying into winning and doing what it takes to win while they were in college.  I think it was a motivational problem.

In the NFL these guys are fighting to make teams and will fight for playing time.  If they don't they will not be around very long.  If they are successful in the NFL that will tell me a lot about what Strong did with the players he had while he was here.

• Like 3

On 8/18/2018 at 11:02 AM, RomaVicta said:

Ah, the new knocked it out of the park or blew him away

I used to say that sportswriters were the dumbest people in the world paid to write. I now identify a new, lower subcategory: recruiting "writers." It's been known for a long time, but I make it official in the RomaVicta Taxonomy. 

I don't know about dumbest but I think it's pretty safe to say they were the drunkest.

4 hours ago, UTEX90 said:

It is going to be interesting to me to see what Strong's guys do in the NFL.  I don't think it was an eval problem.  I think it was kids buying into winning and doing what it takes to win while they were in college.  I think it was a motivational problem.

In the NFL these guys are fighting to make teams and will fight for playing time.  If they don't they will not be around very long.  If they are successful in the NFL that will tell me a lot about what Strong did with the players he had while he was here.

This is what you call an Evaluation.

Edited by ckhorn

Scipio Tex: Texas Will Recruit The 2019 Grad Transfer Market Again

How do I know we'll hit the grad transfer market hard next year?

1. Graduate transfers Calvin Anderson and Tre Watson have already made their presence(s) positively felt.
2. The 2019 Longhorns need supplemental talent for a roster that will be short of 85.
3. Graduate (and regular) transfers count only against the 85 man limit.
4. The current roster analysis virtually guarantees it.
5. Graduate transfers represent a growing talent pipeline given the NCAA's new limitations on over-signing and grey/blue shirt hijinks.

THE ROSTER MATH

The current Longhorn roster count (I'm subtracting Davion Curtis, Mikey Grandy & Demarco Boyd) is:

17 seniors
15 juniors
14 sophomores
6 RS freshmen
26 freshmen

Two weeks out from the season opener and the Horns have a 78 man roster. Minus 17 seniors, Texas already has 24 scholarships available in August. The Horns are already one man away from a 25 man 2019 class reporting next spring and summer. Texas is carrying a light roster, which isn't ideal. The upside is that I don't have to read the annual posts fretting numbers logjams, suggesting the that Herman will have to sacrifice five random players drawn by lotto.

The 2019 Horns will also have smallish junior and senior classes that will continue to deplete. Which robs the 2019 team of needed maturity, often at key positions. Without putting too fine a point on it, it's not hard to find 3-6 more attrition candidates on the current roster. Texas will have scholarships to spare in 2019 and room for mature players who can help Herman win now as he waits for the critical mass of his 2018 and 2019 recruiting classes to mature.

THE MARKET 

According to Max Olson at The Athletic, there were 24 graduate transfer quarterbacks in college football this year, including projected starters at places like LSU and Michigan. That's just one headlining position. Here's a sense of how big the market really is across all positions. It's not quite free agency, but it's the next best thing to a college waiver wire. This is a new world and the programs that exploit it best will have an advantage. Dedicating a support staff member to monitoring graduate transfer possibilities would be wise.

One benefit of writing a Texas Football preview is that opponent research gives me an appreciation for the degree to which transfers (both grad and undergrad) form the lifeblood of some programs. West Virginia couldn't field a competitive football team without them and they push their own transfers back into the market just as quickly. They're an Appalachian Athlete Mercantile Exchange. Maryland will feature at least four starters from schools like Auburn, Florida State, Illinois and Utah State. Even recruiting blue blood Oklahoma has had recent success with grad transfer wide receivers Geno Lewis and Jeff Badet and undergrad transfer Kyler Murray will lead their offense this year. TCU's best pass rusher - DE Ben Banogu - came to them from Louisiana-Monroe. Creating an All Big 12 player from a ULM guy is the most Gary Patterson thing ever. No one likes a show off, Gary.

Just as Tom Herman has done the math on Western recruiting, he'll understand the opportunity presented by the swelling grad transfer talent stream. Jim Harbaugh has already been at it feverishly over at Michigan, and he also churns out transfers fleeing his program as quickly as they reel them in. In 2018, Michigan had six seniors grad transfer away. That has to be a record. 

THE TARGETS

The 2019 Horns will need some experienced bodies and potential starters on the OL and at LB. A WR and a DL might even be appreciated. Finding OL grad transfers at Texas is doable. Finding LB, WR and DL grad transfers is a challenge.

THE CHALLENGE

Texas doesn't really finesse requirements to allow transfers the way some schools do. By contrast, apparently anyone can transfer to LSU, West Virginia, or USF with an 8th grade diploma and an orderly coloring book. It's no coincidence that our 2018 transfers were from Rice and Cal. The Horns also have some basic character requirements, so mining Boise State, BYU, Penn State and Florida State for players who had "a misunderstanding" - isn't in the cards as it is at, oh, I don't know...Baylor and Oklahoma.

That means Texas will have to look hard for our profile. Identifying talents who blossomed late at smaller schools and want a shot in the spotlight like Calvin Anderson. Finding pretty good players who got squeezed out by a more talented player at a place where they keep players on academic track. Find Texas natives yearning to return home after a sojourn in a SEC cowtown or a grim Midwestern city. The best lures are a winning program and a winnable job. Of course, if the football gods really love us, we'll see a major SEC program get heavy sanctions and no penalties for players to transfer out. You're due Auburn and Alabama.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Reveal hidden contents

1. Graduate transfers Calvin Anderson and Tre Watson have already made their presence(s) positively felt.
2. The 2019 Longhorns need supplemental talent for a roster that will be short of 85.
5. Graduate transfers represent a growing talent pipeline given the NCAA's new limitations on over-signing and grey/blue shirt hijinks.

THE ROSTER MATH

The current Longhorn roster count (I'm subtracting Davion Curtis, Mikey Grandy & Demarco Boyd) is:

17 seniors
15 juniors
14 sophomores
6 RS freshmen
26 freshmen

Two weeks out from the season opener and the Horns have a 78 man roster. Minus 17 seniors, Texas already has 24 scholarships available in August. The Horns are already one man away from a 25 man 2019 class reporting next spring and summer. Texas is carrying a light roster, which isn't ideal. The upside is that I don't have to read the annual posts fretting numbers logjams, suggesting the that Herman will have to sacrifice five random players drawn by lotto.

The 2019 Horns will also have smallish junior and senior classes that will continue to deplete. Which robs the 2019 team of needed maturity, often at key positions. Without putting too fine a point on it, it's not hard to find 3-6 more attrition candidates on the current roster. Texas will have scholarships to spare in 2019 and room for mature players who can help Herman win now as he waits for the critical mass of his 2018 and 2019 recruiting classes to mature.

THE MARKET 

According to Max Olson at The Athletic, there were 24 graduate transfer quarterbacks in college football this year, including projected starters at places like LSU and Michigan. That's just one headlining position. Here's a sense of how big the market really is across all positions. It's not quite free agency, but it's the next best thing to a college waiver wire. This is a new world and the programs that exploit it best will have an advantage. Dedicating a support staff member to monitoring graduate transfer possibilities would be wise.

One benefit of writing a Texas Football preview is that opponent research gives me an appreciation for the degree to which transfers (both grad and undergrad) form the lifeblood of some programs. West Virginia couldn't field a competitive football team without them and they push their own transfers back into the market just as quickly. They're an Appalachian Athlete Mercantile Exchange. Maryland will feature at least four starters from schools like Auburn, Florida State, Illinois and Utah State. Even recruiting blue blood Oklahoma has had recent success with grad transfer wide receivers Geno Lewis and Jeff Badet and undergrad transfer Kyler Murray will lead their offense this year. TCU's best pass rusher - DE Ben Banogu - came to them from Louisiana-Monroe. Creating an All Big 12 player from a ULM guy is the most Gary Patterson thing ever. No one likes a show off, Gary.

Just as Tom Herman has done the math on Western recruiting, he'll understand the opportunity presented by the swelling grad transfer talent stream. Jim Harbaugh has already been at it feverishly over at Michigan, and he also churns out transfers fleeing his program as quickly as they reel them in. In 2018, Michigan had six seniors grad transfer away. That has to be a record. 

THE TARGETS

The 2019 Horns will need some experienced bodies and potential starters on the OL and at LB. A WR and a DL might even be appreciated. Finding OL grad transfers at Texas is doable. Finding LB, WR and DL grad transfers is a challenge.

THE CHALLENGE

Texas doesn't really finesse requirements to allow transfers the way some schools do. By contrast, apparently anyone can transfer to LSU, West Virginia, or USF with an 8th grade diploma and an orderly coloring book. It's no coincidence that our 2018 transfers were from Rice and Cal. The Horns also have some basic character requirements, so mining Boise State, BYU, Penn State and Florida State for players who had "a misunderstanding" - isn't in the cards as it is at, oh, I don't know...Baylor and Oklahoma.

That means Texas will have to look hard for our profile. Identifying talents who blossomed late at smaller schools and want a shot in the spotlight like Calvin Anderson. Finding pretty good players who got squeezed out by a more talented player at a place where they keep players on academic track. Find Texas natives yearning to return home after a sojourn in a SEC cowtown or a grim Midwestern city. The best lures are a winning program and a winnable job. Of course, if the football gods really love us, we'll see a major SEC program get heavy sanctions and no penalties for players to transfer out. You're due Auburn and Alabama.

We are going to have like 35 available scholarships so yes we might just sign every eligible grad transfer possible. The 2016 class left a hole in our roster thanks to Strong. 

40 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Hide contents

THE ROSTER MATH

17 seniors
15 juniors
14 sophomores
6 RS freshmen
26 freshmen

THE MARKET 

THE TARGETS

THE CHALLENGE

best article on here in ages. having no recruits lately is driving me to drink.....oh, wait.

• Haha 1