Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

Mike at night: The latest on a pair of elite Texas targets

— IMG Academy running back Noah Cain has a big fall planned. The four-star back is planning to make all of his official visits, select his school and graduate early while dealing with the hectic travel schedule at IMG. So, who will get those official visits? I think it’s safe to say LSU and Penn State are locks at this point. From the intel we’ve gathered, it appears that Auburn is all in on Cain for this cycle (which could end up helping the Longhorns with Derrian Brown), and it would be surprising for them to be left out of Cain’s finalists. That leaves the final two visits to Texas, Ohio State and Oklahoma. In speaking to several sources, I believe the Longhorns will get an official visit and Ohio State will be the odd man out. Oklahoma and Ohio State have been in on Cain for quite some time, but the sources I spoke with did not see them as serious players at this time.

— So how will things shake out with Cain? LSU has been the perceived leader for so long. It’s hard to see them not in it until the very end, but Cain is focused on making this decision with his head and not his heart. Stability is incredibly important to him, and Penn State is doing a great job in his recruitment. It doesn’t hurt that Saquon Barkley was a star in their offense over the past few years either. Penn State and Auburn provide the most stability, while Texas and LSU will be in the wait and see category. The Longhorns have to win, and they have to show they can run the ball behind a re-vamped offensive line. Cain has a strong relationship with Tom Herman, Stan Drayton and Tim Beck, but it’s going to take results to land him.

— I checked in with a key source on Fort Bend Marshall quarterback Malik Hornsby. As we reported, Hornsby and his family had a great time on their visit for Stars at Night. The Longhorns have certainly re-gained some ground in this recruitment, but (stop me if you’ve heard this before) this recruitment will have some twists and turns. Texas A&M is putting the full court press on for Hornsby, and there are some people advising the family who have a better rapport with the A&M staff. The Texas staff has always been good about welcoming the entire family into the recruitment. There is still a lot of time left, and it looks like this will come down to an old fashioned in-state battle between the former rivals.

— How big is the USC game going to be for Texas recruiting? The short answer is that a big win at home could provide some big-time momentum for Texas. We will have an official list of visitors the week of the game, but nearly every recruit I speak with mentions that game as a visit they plan to visit for. Bru McCoy is already scheduled for his official visit that weekend, and De'Gabriel Floyd is planning on being there with him. Guys like Elijah Higgins, Jaylen Ellis, Jaylon Jones, Preston Stone, Chris Thompson, Jalen Catalon and Lewis Cine have said that they plan on being in attendance. The Longhorns had a monumental opportunity in 2016 after beating Notre Dame with a host of elite recruits on campus, but stumbles throughout the season stalled that momentum. If the Longhorns can beat USC and carry that to a strong season, we could be looking at a very strong finish for Tom Herman and company.

Mike Roach: Four-star wide receiver Elijah Higgins focused on finalists.

Elijah Higgins is winding his recruitment down. The four-star Austin Bowie wide receiver watched his stock skyrocket during the spring, but his focus is on the upcoming football season. As his senior campaign draws near, Higgins knows what parts of his game he’d like to work on. “I want to improve my ability to make defenders miss after I catch the ball,” Higgins said. “In high school it’s really easy for me to run through a lot of kids, but I want to bring my game to another level, and I think being more agile and shifty will contribute to just that.”

The recruiting process can be a drain on young men and their families. With so much stress placed on one decision, it can be difficult to balance with school and on-field development. Higgins said that the toughest part is the time commitment needed to make the right decision. “Just understanding the time it takes to sit down and evaluate is tough,” he said. “I’ve learned that with a decision as important as this, you have to take your time, look past the extra stuff and grasp all of the facts and truths.”

Recruitments can sometimes contain curveballs. Higgins encountered that when Urban Meyer was placed on administrative leave at Ohio State. The Buckeyes are one of his finalists, but Higgins said he’s not going to be hasty with jumping to conclusions. “Things are going to happen everywhere,” Higgins said. “That’s how college football goes. The timing of the situation was a little rough, but everything is still there for me with them.”

The Longhorns have been in the race for Higgins since they offered him back in the spring. They’ve had some ups and downs throughout the cycle, and Higgins said he’s not sure what he’s looking for from the hometown team. “They just have to separate themselves in whatever way they can,” he said. “It’s not anything specific I’m looking for, it’s just what they have to offer.” At 6-foot-3, 214 pounds, Higgins is ranked as the No. 15 wide receiver in the nation and No. 17 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

Mike Roach: Baylor commit Jaylen Ellis talks recruiting ahead of senior season

Jaylen Ellis had a huge junior season. A three-star wide receiver from Round Rock Cedar Ridge, Ellis committed to Baylor over a year ago. As he enters his senior season, Ellis is focused on sharpening skills for his college career. “I’m most definitely just continuing to work on my route running,” Ellis said. “I don’t think it’s a weakness, but it’s an area I can fix.” Ellis is the most-tenured commit in the 2019 Baylor class, but he has been evaluating other offers. He said the most difficult part of the recruiting process is narrowing down the schools he wants to focus on. “The toughest part is just deciding the schools that I’m going to take more seriously,” Ellis said. “I actually haven’t taken any officials, but I do plan on releasing a top schools list.”

The Longhorns offered Ellis during the summer, and they are in a group of schools that Ellis is considering. When Texas takes the field this fall, Ellis will be watching the offense to see how they can feature a player like him. “I still love the relationships I’ve made with the coaches,” he said. “I just want them to show me more ways that they can use my skill set.”

Ellis is still committed to Baylor, but he’s planning to take some visits during the fall. Texas is in the running for an official visit, but he knows for sure that he plans to make some unofficial visits. Ellis said that he plans to be in attendance when Texas faces off against USC. At 6-feet, 180 pounds, Ellis is ranked as the No. 66 wide receiver in the nation and No. 62 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

Mike Roach: Midlothian Heritage wide receiver Langston Anderson weighing options

Langston Anderson is a wanted man in Texas. The three-star wide receiver from Midlothian Heritage holds offers from Baylor, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech and SMU along with a plethora of out of state offers. With his senior season just over a week from beginning, Anderson is focused on sharpening his skills to prepare for college football. “I’m just working on coming out of routes faster and attacking the ball more,” Anderson said. “I’m being more aggressive as a receiver and attacking defenses deep.” The recruiting process has its ups and downs for everyone, and Anderson is no different. For him, the biggest factor is a program where his skillset fits. “Deciding where I would fit in as a receiver is tough. I’m looking for the program that is the best fit for me,” he said.

Not only does the upcoming season bring a chance for Anderson to get back on the field, he can also take his official visits. Anderson isn’t in a hurry, and he wants to treat the process with care. “I’m setting up my officials, and I want to see how some of the teams in my top schools turn out,” he said. I also want to see if any coaches leave their schools or not. I’m going to Oklahoma State on October 5th. I’m also going to Ole Miss, but I’m not sure when yet. I’m looking towards TCU also. Those are the three I know that I’m aiming for.”

Anderson was offered by Texas during the summer, but he hasn’t heard much from the Longhorns as of late. If they were to re-engage with him, Anderson said he would have a lot of interest. “I would still most definitely consider Texas, but the last time I talked to them, they had all of the wide receivers they were taking to commit,” Anderson said. At 6-foot-1, 192 pounds, Anderson is ranked as the No. 77 wide receiver in the nation and No. 73 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/08/open-post-wednesday-august-22nd/

Quick-Hitters | Derrian Brown & Elijah Higgins

– Super K

***You’ll recall, last month, TFB was first to report on 2019 running back, Derrian Brown and his interest in Texas. At the time, Brown had not yet set up an official visit but was certain he would take one.

It sounds like that visit still has yet to be finalized. Though, it’s looking like things could get set up for the Tulsa game in early September.

I spoke with a source in the Georgia area and am told that Brown is nearing a decision and could announce within the next couple of weeks. Though I won’t be surprised to see him wait till he makes it in on the official.

Texas, I’m told, is the clear leader here. I plan on being in Georgia next weekend to see Brown in person.

***This past summer, the word on Elijah Higgins was that he had already essentially made his decision. Source didn’t say who he was leaning towards but putting the pieces together, I had surmised it was Stanford.

I caught up with my source earlier this week who tells me that things have opened back up.

Expect to see Higgins at the Texas vs. USC game.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ousux said:

So let me see if I have this right, Jalen Ellis is committed to Baylor just like Candi was committed to Jimbo...right?

He's still shopping around and planning on coming to the USC game.

Didn't Baylor offer him first? That weighs in on certain kids, and Rhule is a good recruiter.  If the offer still stands in November, he'll commit to TX. Most kids still taking officials, even tho they are committed elsewhere

E.J. Holland: Texas in contact with 2019 Louisiana RB Mike Hollins

The running back position this cycle still remains somewhat of a mystery. The Longhorns are looking to take two ball carriers this cycle and are still evaluating prospects like three-star 2019 University Lab (La.) product Mike Hollins. "I talk to Texas and Coach (Jason) Washington,” Hollins said. “Makiya (Tongue) was one of their big targets, but he just committed to Georgia. I still talk with Coach Washington. I want to get out to Austin, too.”

Hollins was supposed to attend the Stars at Night camp last month as he hoped to impress the staff and earn an offer. However, he was unable to make his way to Austin. And that may have slowed down the process with Texas. "Only Coach Washington has seen me,” Hollins said. “Their big thing is they want to see me in camp. They want me to come out there and camp, but it's kind of late for that, so I still talk to them every day, but obviously, it's too late to go to camp.”

Despite never being able to get in front of the rest of the staff, Hollins hopes his talks with UT eventually lead to more interest from the Longhorns. “I like Texas,” Hollins said. “Texas is south, close to home, but far away enough where I can get away, but I can still come back home." SMU is considered the leader for Hollins, who hopes to make a decision in October. He also holds offers from Georgia Tech, Kentucky, Missouri, Utah, Virginia and others. At 5-foot-10, 205 pounds, Hollins is ranked as the No. 61 running back in the country and No. 33 overall prospect in the state of Louisiana, per 247Sports Composite.

30 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Sounds like we're going to need an LSU meltdown. Which Coach O is more than capable of supplying, but still.

I think the dude’s just been quiet this summer, so gurus then assume it’s all over but the crying and texifornias of the world tumble over the cliff behind them. 

The recruiting of Cain will last into winter. 

30 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Sounds like we're going to need an LSU meltdown. Which Coach O is more than capable of supplying, but still.

Plus, just from the internet ramblings, it seems like we prefer Brown. He isn't as highly ranked and he isn't as bulky, but he is faster and shiftier and seems like he would be better catching passes out of the backfield. Herman may think he is a better scheme fit.

Just now, RadiologyHorn said:

None of this matters at RB. All that matters is Evans in 2020. 

Yeah, there will be plenty of gnashing of teeth as that recruitment progresses. It was bad enough fighting SWC bullshit for generational running backs. Now things have gone national. Thanks Georgia.

32 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Plus, just from the internet ramblings, it seems like we prefer Brown. He isn't as highly ranked and he isn't as bulky, but he is faster and shiftier and seems like he would be better catching passes out of the backfield. Herman may think he is a better scheme fit.

I have a very, very, very hard time believing that we prefer or would take Brown over Cain. 

8 minutes ago, satyanash said:

I have a very, very, very hard time believing that we prefer or would take Brown over Cain. 

Because it's complete and utter bullshit. It's almost a less credible take than the Urban Meyer knew nothing.

Cain is looking like it's going to be a fight to the end, which the staff knew. Fine. We like Brown, and he's not good enough for Georgia at this point. Cain isn't scared of 2 backs, and Evans isn't scared if we take 4 backs this cycle and 4 backs next cycle. So the staff has been making Brown a target now because it makes more sense to secure 2 backs this cycle they've decided. No one prefers Brown OVER Cain. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Because it's complete and utter bullshit. It's almost a less credible take than the Urban Meyer knew nothing.

Cain is looking like it's going to be a fight to the end, which the staff knew. Fine. We like Brown, and he's not good enough for Georgia at this point. Cain isn't scared of 2 backs, and Evans isn't scared if we take 4 backs this cycle and 4 backs next cycle. So the staff has been making Brown a target now because it makes more sense to secure 2 backs this cycle they've decided. No one prefers Brown OVER Cain. 

Well, as you stated, it isn't a real choice. We are taking two backs. But, Cain is not as good as Sanders. Is Cain better than Ingram and Carter? We brought in a running back transfer from Cal and Kirk is getting lots of attention. We are looking for running backs who are shifty and can catch out of the backfield. I think Brown fits that role.

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Well, as you stated, it isn't a real choice. We are taking two backs. But, Cain is not as good as Sanders. Is Cain better than Ingram and Carter? We brought in a running back transfer from Cal and Kirk is getting lots of attention. We are looking for running backs who are shifty and can catch out of the backfield. I think Brown fits that role.

No one ever said he didn't fit that role. The only thing anyone is protesting is your statement that "seems like we prefer brown."

We don't.

Carter is probably gone after this season. Another reason to take 2 backs now. 

Just now, Scholz said:

What about our 3 potato backs: K.Johnson, K.Porter and T.Houston?  Think all 3 of those dudes will go ahead and eat up all 4 years of their scholarships?

If I had to guess, yeah, those guys are eating up 4 years of scholarships. Unless Porter drops out of school to join the seminary. Which still seems unlikely. 

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

What about our 3 potato backs: K.Johnson, K.Porter and T.Houston?  Think all 3 of those dudes will go ahead and eat up all 4 years of their scholarships?

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

No one ever said he didn't fit that role. The only thing anyone is protesting is your statement that "seems like we prefer brown."

We don't.

He may be gone before the season.

5 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Porter seems like he might grad transfer to somewhere with a good business school. He's an excellent student at McCombs.

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

If he’s really an excellent student at McCombs, then the GSB probably seems more enticing than getting an MBA at UH or wherever he thinks he would get playing time.   

Maybe he'll do the Jake McMillon thing and get a good job offer and go pro in something other than sports.

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Ah yes, the “let’s not sign good prospects this year to make it even more enticing for next year’s recruits” argument.  Brings back memories of passing on Andrew Luck and RGIII to go all in on the real prizes in the next class, Garrett Gilbert and Russell Shepard.

Mack didn't pass on RGIII. Get it right.

Mack wanted him at DB/ATH and had a recruiter put an offer on one of his coaches' desks without actually talking to a coach or Griffin. Griffin told Mack to fuck himself. So, Mack DID actually make a really weak-assed attempt to get him to play DB here.

16 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Mack wanted him at DB/ATH and had a recruiter put an offer on one of his coaches' desks without actually talking to a coach or Griffin. Griffin told Mack to fuck himself. So, Mack DID actually make a really weak-assed attempt to get him to play DB here.

Well, he passed on him as a QB, but so did everyone else of course. Baylor was RGIII's only P5 offer as a QB. He was never going to play DB though, so Mack's weak-ass attempt ended up being irrelevant anyway.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Well, he passed on him as a QB, but so did everyone else of course. Baylor was RGIII's only P5 offer as a QB. He was never going to play DB though, so Mack's weak-ass attempt ended up being irrelevant anyway.

I was just clarifying the facts. Mack wasn't serious about the DB offer anyway. He just put it out there to see if he could get a nibble. He didn't.

25 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I feel like this is exactly what happened with Andre Ware. Didn't we also piss him off by only offering him as a DB?

No way Carter stays.  The guy wants to play immediately and bitches when he doesn’t.  Texassports lists Watson as a grad transfer rather than a senior but he has one year to play correct?  Kirk Johnson is listed as a junior but I don’t think anyone including the coaches are counting on him.  Kyle Porter may grad transfer out like someone mentioned since he’s buried in the depth chart.  Tristan Houston should be playing at Texas state.  There is a real possibility that we have Young and Ingram next year with no one else worth shit.  We absolutely need to take 2 decent backs this year.  I’d put bets on Brown and a guy like the LA rb... hollins I think? Unless LSU implodes, don’t see Cain going anywhere else.  His dad lives in Baton Rouge.