Texas recruiting notes 2019

13 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

It shouldn’t be shocking that Herman’s guys came in and fit better, they were his guys. That’s how it often works with coaching changes.

Chris Warren obviously has talent, as he’s showing in Oakland right now. Does that count as a bad eval because he was so underwhelming here? Or was he just not Herman’s type of guy?

I think $$$ talks.

• Like 1

OB Article - DFW Recruiting is poor

We're starting things off this week with the proverbial good news/bad news situation as it relates to Texas' current recruiting position in the Dallas-Ft.Worth Metroplex.

It's not good. That's the bad news and I'm not really telling you something you don't already know.

The Longhorns don't currently have a single commitment from the Metroplex in the 2019 recruiting class and this falls on the heels of a celebrated 2018 recruiting class that also did very little damage in one of the most important recruiting regions from which Texas typically brings in talent.

Of the 15 four-star prospects in the Metroplex, the Longhorns could end up in a position where they sign only one player - Mansfield Legacy safety Jalen Catalon (if Catalon chooses Texas).

It's pretty slim pickings after that at this point. That's the bad news.

The good news?

Tom Herman can turn this thing around. What's happening now isn't some trend with years of build-up that can't be solved without years worth of work.

It's going to take three things.

1. Investment in Metroplex resources

When Tom Herman first built his Texas staff in 2017, one of the few real concerns centered on his staff's lack of recruiting chops in the Dallas-Ft.Worth area. In fact, the best positive spin on the hire of Tim Beck as the offensive coordinator was the notion that he would be able to give the Longhorns a lift in this important recruiting region because of the success he'd enjoyed in the area while at Ohio State.

If that hire was partly made with an eye on Metroplex recruiting, it clearly hasn't worked.

When this season concludes, Herman is simply going to have to address the lack of recruiting rain makers he has on his staff to send into this area because what he's working with now is failing. Period.

Perhaps the best news of all is that when you look at the Metroplex, there's no one in the area that you'd probably call one of the nation's truly dynamic recruiters. There's no Brian Jean-Mary around these parts, like there was when Jean-Mary was rocking it out under Charlie Strong.

In a quick poll of recruiting experts covering the region this week (some at Rivals and some not), I asked for a name of the top recruiter working this region and you know what? No name really popped up.

Cale Gundy is probably doing the best work of anyone on the Oklahoma staff in that area, but his presence can be dealt with. A&M's top guys on the scene are Maurice Linguist and Terry Price, with the latter being someone the Longhorns have butted heads with over the course of the last four years, while the former is a relative newcomer to the DFW scene, but his profile is perfect - young, aggressive and from the area.

Outside of those three, TCU's Zarnell Fitch and Baylor's Joey McGuire are probably the guys mentioned the most around the region among the schools doing the most work there. If you're keeping score at home, only one of the top 15 players in the Metroplex have picked an out of state school as we creep up towards Labor Day, which means kids are staying close to home this year, just not in Austin.

[IMG]

2. Make the Metroplex a bigger priority

The truth of the Tom Herman recruiting model is that it doesn't place a very high level of importance on the Metroplex.

It wasn't an important area for Herman while he was at Houston and the trend has followed him to Texas. In three-plus years as a head coach, Herman and his staff have never landed a four-star prospect from the Metroplex and they've signed only one high three-star prospect (Byron Hobbs in 2017). Signing one state top 100-type kid from such a critical region wouldn't be good enough for The University of Houston, let alone The University of Texas.

It can't be emphasized enough that Herman must make improving his program's influence in the Metroplex a priority, complete with special recruiting events aimed specifically at kids from this area. Hiring a new staff member or two is only the first step that needs to take place.

3. Be successful

I placed this piece of the puzzle last because I don't believe it's as important as the first two. It's too easy to say that Texas just needs to win. The reality is that winning would help, but it's not the end-all, be-all in this discussion.

If Texas can do No. 3 and couple it with both No. 1 and No. 2, this discussion will die. Until all three occur together, it won't.

20 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Hide contents

We're starting things off this week with the proverbial good news/bad news situation as it relates to Texas' current recruiting position in the Dallas-Ft.Worth Metroplex.

It's not good. That's the bad news and I'm not really telling you something you don't already know.

The Longhorns don't currently have a single commitment from the Metroplex in the 2019 recruiting class and this falls on the heels of a celebrated 2018 recruiting class that also did very little damage in one of the most important recruiting regions from which Texas typically brings in talent.

Of the 15 four-star prospects in the Metroplex, the Longhorns could end up in a position where they sign only one player - Mansfield Legacy safety Jalen Catalon (if Catalon chooses Texas).

The good news?

Tom Herman can turn this thing around. What's happening now isn't some trend with years of build-up that can't be solved without years worth of work.

When Tom Herman first built his Texas staff in 2017, one of the few real concerns centered on his staff's lack of recruiting chops in the Dallas-Ft.Worth area. In fact, the best positive spin on the hire of Tim Beck as the offensive coordinator was the notion that he would be able to give the Longhorns a lift in this important recruiting region because of the success he'd enjoyed in the area while at Ohio State.

If that hire was partly made with an eye on Metroplex recruiting, it clearly hasn't worked.

When this season concludes, Herman is simply going to have to address the lack of recruiting rain makers he has on his staff to send into this area because what he's working with now is failing. Period.

Perhaps the best news of all is that when you look at the Metroplex, there's no one in the area that you'd probably call one of the nation's truly dynamic recruiters. There's no Brian Jean-Mary around these parts, like there was when Jean-Mary was rocking it out under Charlie Strong.

In a quick poll of recruiting experts covering the region this week (some at Rivals and some not), I asked for a name of the top recruiter working this region and you know what? No name really popped up.

Cale Gundy is probably doing the best work of anyone on the Oklahoma staff in that area, but his presence can be dealt with. A&M's top guys on the scene are Maurice Linguist and Terry Price, with the latter being someone the Longhorns have butted heads with over the course of the last four years, while the former is a relative newcomer to the DFW scene, but his profile is perfect - young, aggressive and from the area.

Outside of those three, TCU's Zarnell Fitch and Baylor's Joey McGuire are probably the guys mentioned the most around the region among the schools doing the most work there. If you're keeping score at home, only one of the top 15 players in the Metroplex have picked an out of state school as we creep up towards Labor Day, which means kids are staying close to home this year, just not in Austin.

[IMG]

The truth of the Tom Herman recruiting model is that it doesn't place a very high level of importance on the Metroplex.

It wasn't an important area for Herman while he was at Houston and the trend has followed him to Texas. In three-plus years as a head coach, Herman and his staff have never landed a four-star prospect from the Metroplex and they've signed only one high three-star prospect (Byron Hobbs in 2017). Signing one state top 100-type kid from such a critical region wouldn't be good enough for The University of Houston, let alone The University of Texas.

It can't be emphasized enough that Herman must make improving his program's influence in the Metroplex a priority, complete with special recruiting events aimed specifically at kids from this area. Hiring a new staff member or two is only the first step that needs to take place.

3. Be successful

I placed this piece of the puzzle last because I don't believe it's as important as the first two. It's too easy to say that Texas just needs to win. The reality is that winning would help, but it's not the end-all, be-all in this discussion.

If Texas can do No. 3 and couple it with both No. 1 and No. 2, this discussion will die. Until all three occur together, it won't.

Thank God they included that clipart map or I'd have never known where Dallas and Fort Worth are. OB journalism at its best.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Hide contents

The good news?

[IMG]

3. Be successful

OB is like a stepped watch.  They are right twice a day.  This is one of those times, IMO.

Edited by cochamps

23 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Never mind Beck's Arizona connections got us two players better than most if not all Metroplex players at their positions.

Good for this year. But long-term we can't continue to ignore DFW, and expect Beck will be able to pull an equal amount of top talent out of Arizona.

22 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Good for this year. But long-term we can't continue to ignore DFW, and expect Beck will be able to pull an equal amount of top talent out of Arizona.

Why not, he's a good recruiter. He pulled talent to Ohio State from locations outside Ohio continuously. Maybe the coaching staff prioritized the players from Arizona over the ones from Dallas, because most of them have real off the field issues.

23 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

We are depending on Washington to be the fireman in all areas after the rest of our recruiting superstars screw the pooch. So why cant Beck work his magic in 2 areas simultaneously?

20 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Why not, he's a good recruiter. He pulled talent to Ohio State from locations outside Ohio continuously. Maybe the coaching staff prioritized the players from Arizona over the ones from Dallas, because most of them have real off the field issues.

Are you asking why we should not try to improve our recruiting in one of the most fertile in-state recruiting grounds?

28 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

We are depending on Washington to be the fireman in all areas after the rest of our recruiting superstars screw the pooch. So why cant Beck work his magic in 2 areas simultaneously?

I'm not suggesting that he stop recruiting Arizona. I'm saying that it's a stupid strategy to essentially ignore DFW and think it's OK because we pulled a couple of great players out of Arizona one year.

24 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Everyone tiptoeing around the fact that Texas isn't ignoring DFW, they simply aren't going to get caught up in shenanigans from idiots that are going to get some school in trouble and the large majority of this DFW group all have the same trainers and 2 specific "assistant coaches"  

Let's be clear -- Henderson. Wease. Brooks. Stogner. Beason. Bridges. Carter. 

There is no year in which Texas is signing these guys. EVER. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Are you asking why we should not try to improve our recruiting in one of the most fertile in-state recruiting grounds?

No, I'm saying there are reasons why it hasn't been prioritized the 1st 2 years as opposed to other areas. The only guy that is a real loss from the area so far was Brian Williams.

28 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

No, I'm saying there are reasons why it hasn't been prioritized the 1st 2 years as opposed to other areas. The only guy that is a real loss from the area so far was Brian Williams.

I'm sorry, did you just say Brian Williams is a real loss?

And just for my own edification, you don't consider Waxahachie to be part of the Dallas area?

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Demani Richardson.

Williams is limited athletically and that is why he keeps scratching and/or not running at these events. Plus his brother and that whole crew were clowns so I have a hard time believing that he's not going to end up being a problem in the locker room. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Demani Richardson.

Williams is limited athletically and that is why he keeps scratching and/or not running at these events. Plus his brother and that whole crew were clowns so I have a hard time believing that he's not going to end up being a problem in the locker room. 

Good thing they loaded up on Safety's like Young and possibly Wolfe.

22 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

And just for my own edification, you don't consider Waxahachie to be part of the Dallas area?

Herman better open up that pipeline to Waxahachie...Nacho Urias Jr (the Wild Thing Playboy Football Animal) is looking like a future prospect.

Does DKR sell Bud Light Lime?  If so, then the dad is solid...just have to sell the mom to get him here. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

Dylan Wright (Mesquite), Nana (Ft. Worth).

I do understand his point though. This years DFW crop comes with a lot of head cases, handlers, and all around shitty attitudes.

Nana isn't a loss at all, but yes, you guys are right, Williams and too an extent Richardson are not big losses when you consider Texas got similar talented players from other areas to replace them. Texas can close Cine and Catalon, both DFW prospects.

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Thank God they included that clipart map or I'd have never known where Dallas and Fort Worth are. OB journalism at its best.

You are giving them the only compliment FatKetch cares about, you called OB "journalist". They are garbage and I would have to guess that most of their subs go to corp america alumnus who never played a sport. 

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

I am trying to figure out the dumbest part of this post. It's really hard to figure out, honestly. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I am trying to figure out the dumbest part of this post. It's really hard to figure out, honestly. 

Who did Texas miss on in 2018 from the D/FW area? The only one in the Top 20 was Spencer Sanders, and Texas got 2 QBs of similar value from California and Oklahoma? Who did Texas miss on so far this year from D/FW that is a can't miss prospect that hasn't been replaced with a player from another location?

On 8/18/2018 at 11:57 AM, TXs said:

Meanwhile fuckboys on this forum say "Fuck Wilson" because he's not coming here, like we're above him

Obligatory 'fuck Wilson' because fuck you. But I say "fuck Wilson" not because he chose Ohio State. I get that, but that he remarked about taking a few others with him and then his recent comments excusing Urban Meyer is why he gets the "fuck Wilson".

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Who did Texas miss on in 2018 from the D/FW area? The only one in the Top 20 was Spencer Sanders, and Texas got 2 QBs of similar value from California and Oklahoma? Who did Texas miss on so far this year from D/FW that is a can't miss prospect that hasn't been replaced with a player from another location?

White is the only one that comes to mind from last year, but DFW was historically weak last year

This year there's a lot more talent, although most mentioned earlier in this thread we either never seriously pushed for or had zero shot at 

45 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Assuming guys like Warehime, Mehringer, Giles, and Beck are fired after the season, are there any decent high school coaches in DFW that could step in and help like Jeff Traylor did? 

lets hope Herman goes about doing evals on new coaches like he did Orlando. instead of hiring all his boys kind of eval.

20 minutes ago, ousux said:
27 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:
lets hope Herman goes about doing evals on new coaches like he did Orlando. instead of hiring all his boys kind of eval.

Orlando was "one of his boys", ironically the only one that wasn't is Beck, and I guess Hand for this year..

Herman found orlando when he went to Houston. 

• Like 1

DFW is basically Norman south in a few respects, and since A&M and LSU have not exactly been tearing it up the last few years (combined with all the Houston connections on his staff), it's no surprise things have seriously tilted away from DFW.

Edited by SizzleChest
  • Like 2

Herman found orlando when he went to Houston. 
But bringing him to Texas now gives him "one of his boys" status..nttawwt. Every new HC builds a staff made up of coaches they know from current or previous coaching jobs mixed in with a few guys recommended by someone else. (As in Beck/Urban, but that may have been sabotage)

29 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Was just thinking, if we start out 3-0 with a win over USC in front of a sold out audience, will we see a bunch of crystal ball picks pouring in like we did after the ND win a couple of years ago?

Who gives a shit?

29 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Also, is Stacy Wilkins still planning on taking an OV to Texas?

Doubt it. But who knows, start 2-0 and maybe the temptation of a prime-time game in Austin featuring two good blue-blood teams might be too much to not visit.

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Who did Texas miss on so far this year from D/FW that is a can't miss prospect that hasn't been replaced with a player from another location?

Damn near everyone can be replaced with a player from another location, that doesn't mean we should be happy with ceding one of the state's two largest metro areas/ recruiting grounds.

Edited by Lonestar88