Texas recruiting notes 2019

3 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Super K says yes, but I don't think he has the build of a spin-down candidate. He'll fill out more but I think he's a S all the way. A freak athlete of a S. He's been talked to about playing RB and WR from some schools as well. DO. WANT. 

7716860.jpg

I tend to agree, with the caveat we don't know what he'll look like after a season with Yancy. 

I have no idea who the Texas Nutritionist is, but he/she deserves just as much credit as Yancy. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Super K says yes, but I don't think he has the build of a spin-down candidate. He'll fill out more but I think he's a S all the way. A freak athlete of a S. He's been talked to about playing RB and WR from some schools as well. DO. WANT. 

7716860.jpg

Maybe play the Joker spot?  Although I think I've seen Adimora mentioned for that spot as well.

I just want Thompson and Washington next cycle.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

13 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

If we can't get all the Duncanville kids in the 2020 cycle, Tom is going to have to rethink a few things. We shouldn't miss on any of them with Samples' son on staff. 

The staff has a dallas problem right now. That was Mack's bread and butter. 

I'll believe the staff has a Dallas problem when Chris Nelson transfers from the program.  Just because it's reported by the 9.95ers doesn't make it true.  We don't dominate Houston every year because of last year and we won't struggle in Dallas every year because we struggled this year. Fuck all of their fraudulent bullshit including that fraudulent shitbag Chip Brown

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

The young man appears to be very good at the game of football.

That was ridiculous.

I was shocked.  On some of those plays he didn't score.  And those were they plays I was shocked by.  Kid is TD machine.

OB notes - 2019 class by position

A quick position-by-position look at where things stand for Texas in recruiting:

QB 

Commitments – 1 (Roschon Johnson)

Needs – None 

Nothing to see here. Roschon Johnson has been committed for more than a year, he’s the only quarterback Texas is targeting and Johnson is locked in with his pledge.

RB

Commitments – None

Needs – 1 or 2

On one hand, it would be nice for Texas to have a name on its commitment list, but on the other, the Longhorns do look very good for Rivals250 back Derrian Brown, who got off to a fast start to his senior season last week.

Texas does continue to pursue a couple heavy hitters in guys like Noah Cain and Trey Sanders, and while I expect both to take official visits to UT, I don’t think you can call the Longhorns the current leaders for either guy. If Texas wants to take two backs and does land Brown, the staff may have to look at other options and see how guys perform this fall.

WR

Commitments – 3 (Jake Smith, Jordan Whittington, Demariyon Houston)

Needs – 1 or 2

Recently, Texas missed on top target Dylan Wright, and while that one stings, don’t let it cloud your overall vision of UT’s wide receiver class. This is already a very good three-man group headlined by Jordan Whittington and Jake Smith, and Rivals250 member Demariyon Houston is certainly no slouch. The Longhorns are still in it for guys like Bru McCoy, Elijah Higgins and Marcus Washington. Those may be uphill battles, although it wouldn’t shock me at all to see Texas move up Washington’s list if/when he visits. If those players all fall through, there are still several in-state targets Texas could wind up landing, including current Baylor commit Jaylen Ellis.

TE

Commitments – 2 (Brayden Liebrock, Jared Wiley)

Needs – None 

Texas loaded up with two early commitments here and will likely shut it down. Liebrock is a top talent and while Wiley isn’t as highly-rated, he has a lot of upside as he continues to develop.

OL

Commitments – 2 (Tyler Johnson, Javonne Shepherd)

Needs – 1 or 2

Texas has two huge head-to-head wins over schools like Texas A&M and Oklahoma with UT’s current commitments, and the Longhorns are sitting pretty at the tackle position. The coaches have to find an interior lineman or two, but I’m not sure where those come from at this point. I expect Herb Hand to evaluate players both in-state and out-of-state over the next few weeks and it wouldn’t shock me to see several offers go out this fall as Texas looks to fill out it’s OL class.

DL

Commitments – 2 (T’Vondre Sweat, Peter Mpagi)

Needs – 2 or 3

The commitments from Sweat and Mpagi are good in that they’re two players who could really compliment each other with their styles of play. Sweat is more of a known commodity since he was on everyone’s radar from early on, but don’t sleep on Mpagi, who has tons of natural upside and is just starting to scratch the surface of his potential. The Longhorns are still in on several others – including players like JUCO prospect Jacoby Jones and Rivals100 member Marcus Stripling – but Texas has ground to make up there (a lot of ground in the case of Stripling). Hawaiin Faatui Tuitele is a strong candidate to visit at some point, but he may be a tough pull. Taurean Carter is on the radar but he’s a player the staff is continuing to watch. Former Texan Rodas Johnson, who now lives in Ohio, is another name to watch. If Texas can get him back on campus for an official visit, that one could get interesting. Like last year – and similar to the OL this year – this could be a position where Oscar Giles and the rest of the staff sees how some guys develop in the fall.

LB

Commitments – 2 (De’Gabriel Floyd, Marcus Tillman)

Needs - 2 

The Longhorns have two out-of-state commitments here and if things go well, it feels like there’s a strong chance they’ll add in-state standout David Gbenda at some point as well. We’ve mentioned it before, but keep an eye on JUCO linebacker Caleb Johnson, who is currently committed to Iowa State. He told me this week he’ll visit Texas the week after his season ends and it won’t be much of a surprise to see the Longhorns surge up his list. Shammond Cooper could be an interesting story – feels like a longshot right now but he’s a teammate of WR Marcus Washington and 2020 standout Mookie Cooper. If Texas can get him and Washington to visit at the same time (maybe Cooper as well), things could get interesting.

DB

Commitments – 3 (Kenyatta Watson, Chris Adimora, Marques Caldwell)

Needs – 2

Texas has a good collection of talent in its first three commitments – players that all bring some versatility – and now will look to close out with a couple more players who can help out on the back end. Jalen Catalon remains a top target and while Texas still looks good there, I’m not sure the Longhorns’ position feels as favorable as it was a couple months ago. Lewis Cine will return this fall for another visit so Texas will have a chance to make a move there, but he could wind up going out of state. Keep an eye on recent offer Tyler Owens. If Texas can land him and Catalon, that would make for a very nice close to the DB class.

I feel like both Floyd and Smith might not actually get that 5th star, but in fact do have that level of ability at the college level.  These kinds of recruits are great for going out of state, and you wish Mack had done this more often because at the peak, I believe they certainly could have done this at a high level.

Jake Smith is a ball player.  If the competition is weak, then he should be putting up the type of plays that he currently is.  This young man not only has the speed to not only compete, but he dominates the competition.  

He has great hands, can run through lazy arm tackles, but his footwork is outstanding.  His body control and awareness to the ball looks to be much better than average.  He will be a threat on the field at Texas.  The defense is going to have to account for him everytime he is on the field.  

We don’t get to see many possession receptions to move the chains because he ends up scoring more often than not.  It goes back to his body control and awareness on the field.  We know he is not going to be able to score everytime he touches the ball at the next level, but I’m confident that he will be able to run the right route and come down with a catch to give our offense a fresh set of downs.  This is infinitely more important to his future as a Longhorn.  It’s hard not to get excited about him when you watch his feet in these videos.  It’s easy for him to cut on a dime to create space while at the same time he runs forward with authority.  He simply just our athletes the competition from there.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ShowmeyourTDs said:

Jake Smith is a ball player.  If the competition is weak, then he should be putting up the type of plays that he currently is.  This young man not only has the speed to not only compete, but he dominates the competition.  

He has great hands, can run through lazy arm tackles, but his footwork is outstanding.  His body control and awareness to the ball looks to be much better than average.  He will be a threat on the field at Texas.  The defense is going to have to account for him everytime he is on the field.  

We don’t get to see many possession receptions to move the chains because he ends up scoring more often than not.  It goes back to his body control and awareness on the field.  We know he is not going to be able to score everytime he touches the ball at the next level, but I’m confident that he will be able to run the right route and come down with a catch to give our offense a fresh set of downs.  This is infinitely more important to his future as a Longhorn.  It’s hard not to get excited about him when you watch his feet in these videos.  It’s easy for him to cut on a dime to create space while at the same time he runs forward with authority.  He simply just our athletes the competition from there.

Texas and a JS receiver who is both reliable for conversions and potentially breaking big ones. Novel concept. Someone protect his ACLs.

IT

JAKE SMITH

In case you've missed it, Notre Dame Prep (AZ) WR and 4-star Texas pledge Jake Smith is finding the end zone more than @Eric Nahlin digging for baby bottles.

Smith has tallied 11 touchdowns in two games. Eleven. He's caught, rushed, and returned 11 scores total and it's not even September yet. For the 6-foot-1, 190-pounder, he's better than advertised. While you can lament on some of the in-state misses at pass-catcher, Smith is like aloe on your recruiting sun burn. His goals remain intact. 

“I want to get back to the state championship and win it this time," said Smith. "Also my goal is to finish with 3,000 all purpose and 50 touchdowns."

At first, that seems like an unlikely reach. Then you watch a couple games and it's not so far-fetched. He's got another goal. 

“And I expect to go in as a freshman at Texas and compete as best as I can to play early," Smith said. I think Smith has shown traits that lend him to playing very early for the Longhorns. His talent doesn't sit on benches. 

While he's fully sold on UT, and will likely visit for the USC game on 9/15, there are more schools coming for Smith. 

“Yes, some schools still contact me and there are two schools trying to get me to take an official visit - Alabama and Texas A&M."

Don't act surprised. The secret is out on the west coast phenom. He does a little bit of everything and lot of scoring. Just ask his first two opponents. 

SEPTEMBER VISITORS 

Nothing like a little Earth, Wind, and Fire for game week. Once September gets here, recruiting will pickup. That includes games vs Tulsa and USC on the 40 Acres, which means recruits. Here are a few prospects I'd be surprised don't visit soon....

Jalen Catalon, Mansfield Legacy - DB (2019): The first guy to visit Austin after NSD 2018, Catalon and coach Naivar continue to build a tremendous relationship. Catalon, who would play nickel and safety at Texas, is in high demand. OU, Arkansas, and TCU are pushing the hardest. Catalon has an OV set for Fayetteville when the Hogs host Alabama in October. Nothing else is scheduled in stone, but don't be shocked if you see the 5-foot-10 four-star multi-sport star attend the USC game on 9/15. 

Caleb Johnson, Fullerton College - OLB (2019): Johnson and UT continue to stay in close contact. He loves Todd Orlando's schemes, and Bryan Carrington's recruiting style. At 6-foot-1, 215, the Iowa State pledge is looking around. He'll visit Arkansas for the Alabama game, and says he'll see Austin soon. How soon? I could see him hitting the Tulsa or USC game. A flip here isn't out of the realm of possibility, plus I like that Matt Campbell identified him early. 

Derrian Brown, Buford (GA) - RB (2019): The most-likely running back take for Texas, Brown has been showing off early in 2018 too. He desperately wanted to visit Austin in July, but couldn't make it. He'll make up for it next month. In addition to attending the USC game, he might sneak in for the Tulsa game too. He's eager to see the Horns and that bodes well for the #fUTure19. 

Branard Wright, Dallas Carter - DT (2020): One of the top defensive linemen in-state for 2020, I'm a little surprised Wright doesn't hold a Texas offer. If/when he sees the 40 Acres, that will change. UT has identified him as a top target and are starting to build a relationship here. The 6-foot-3, 295-pounder holds offers from Alabama, Clemson, Florida, and Florida State among his 20+ offers. 

Seth Figgins, Westlake Village (CA) - TE (2020): One of the top tight ends in the nation, Figgins earned his UT offer months ago. It doesn't hurt he's teammates with top '19 commit, De'Gabriel Floyd, and that his HS coach played with Tom Herman at Cal Lutheran. He's visited once. I'll guess he visits again, on 9/15. 

Prince Dorbah, Highland Park (TX) - DE (2020): Possibly the best defensive end in Texas for 2020, Texas offered last spring and continue to push for the budding star. I know Dorbah will visit Austin again soon, and September might be the month. Texas looks good here early.