Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

14 minutes ago, Bob Lives! said:

Is USC tanking really the only way we get Bru? I’d prefer we get him by winning, rather than by USC losing. I realize it’s a bit of a pipe dream and odds are we pick up our next loss in 3 days, but if Texas were to run the table, win the conference and back into a playoff spot, seems like that would put Texas in a somewhat similar position to where Georgia finds itself now.

After you didn't post earlier, I wondered if you died. Now I know that Bob lives!!!

29 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

What incentive do colleges have to tank? It's not like they automatically get a 5-star for the trouble.

If by tanking you mean sucking, then yeah.

No incentive to the team that is tanking, plenty of incentive for another team to steal the recruit from said school that is tanking. 

Is USC tanking really the only way we get Bru? I’d prefer we get him by winning, rather than by USC losing. I realize it’s a bit of a pipe dream and odds are we pick up our next loss in 3 days, but if Texas were to run the table, win the conference and back into a playoff spot, seems like that would put Texas in a somewhat similar position to where Georgia finds itself now.

Holy shit! Why didn’t anyone think of this before? We should totally win all our games!

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I'm interested to see if they are attempting to redshirt Okafor in order to pick up some separation between some guys. I don't think he's played so far this year, and he was obviously expected to do so.

I definitely think Texas is going to take a Fall 2018 discovery that we'll start hearing about in November, plus a Juco if they can find a fit, plus working the grad transfer arena aggressively. I think they wind up with 6 new guys that aren't on the roster now, with varying degrees of eligibility left. They've added 8 since 2017, with one of those being Anderson, and one of those being Grandy.

Depth is going to be an issue if they're adding some GT and Juco depth. Heading into next season, they'll have 11 OLs plus whoever they sign, prior to attrition. That includes Urquidez, who's apparently never seeing the field; Hudson, who may go med-schol; and Schackleford, who cannot stay healthy, and, frankly, isn't productive on the field. They almost have to have some JUCOs who can play, along with at least one GT who can start.

I don't think Okafor has played either. So he could play in four of our final nine games and still be a junior next season. At guard, hopefully. 

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I'm interested to see if they are attempting to redshirt Okafor in order to pick up some separation between some guys. I don't think he's played so far this year, and he was obviously expected to do so.

I definitely think Texas is going to take a Fall 2018 discovery that we'll start hearing about in November, plus a Juco if they can find a fit, plus working the grad transfer arena aggressively. I think they wind up with 6 new guys that aren't on the roster now, with varying degrees of eligibility left. They've added 8 since 2017, with one of those being Anderson, and one of those being Grandy.

Depth is going to be an issue if they're adding some GT and Juco depth. Heading into next season, they'll have 11 OLs plus whoever they sign, prior to attrition. That includes Urquidez, who's apparently never seeing the field; Hudson, who may go med-schol; and Schackleford, who cannot stay healthy, and, frankly, isn't productive on the field. They almost have to have some JUCOs who can play, along with at least one GT who can start.

Damn that sucks about Hudson.

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

He said “area”. You are one pedantic dude sometimes. 

Baltimore is definitely not DC area lol. I'm guessing texifornia lives in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic, because up here such a statement would be met with derision

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Baltimore is definitely not DC area lol. I'm guessing texifornia lives in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic, because up here such a statement would be met with derision

It would be both boring and hard to explain, so I’ll spare the details, but I can promise you I understand the footprints of the various MSAs in this country, down to the zip+4, and selling into them accordingly. No one gives two fucks in this discussion about how B-more or DC people view each other. When someone on a UT board asks about DC area shit, Baltimore area recruits qualify. And both of you pedants fucking know it. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

How come basketball pulls half its roster from places like DC/Baltimore/Canada and nobody bats an eye yet its considered some impossible undertaking to get an out of state kid to come play football here?

Basketball recruiting has been a national endeavor for a while now, thanks to the proliferation of AAU and the like.

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

I don't think Okafor has played either. So he could play in four of our final nine games and still be a junior next season. At guard, hopefully. 

Keeping track of this here, if you're interested.

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/276-texas-roster-2018/&do=findComment&comment=519535

• Like 3

3 hours ago, VaHorn said:

And you are a dick. North Baltimore isn’t in the DC area. 

North Baltimore to DC is just a little bit farther than Downtown Dallas to Downtown Fort Worth.

BWI airport is considered a DC Area Airport.

If you are familiar with that part of the country, then they are distinctly different areas. But if you are from a place where you drive farther than that just to take your kids to school, then they are basically two different neighborhoods in the same fucking city. The Houston Area and the Metroplex shit bigger distances than North Baltimore to DC without even thinking about it.

• Like 2