Texas recruiting notes 2019

5 hours ago, Napoleon said:

North Baltimore to DC is just a little bit farther than Downtown Dallas to Downtown Fort Worth.

BWI airport is considered a DC Area Airport.

If you are familiar with that part of the country, then they are distinctly different areas. But if you are from a place where you drive farther than that just to take your kids to school, then they are basically two different neighborhoods in the same fucking city. The Houston Area and the Metroplex shit bigger distances than North Baltimore to DC without even thinking about it.

When you fly into Baltimore, depending on the direction and where you're sitting, you see DC damn near the entire decent. 

Like you said, someone from Baltimore or DC or somewhere around *that area may disagree, but when explaining it to someone over a thousand miles away, it's the same damn area.

*'cos it's the same fucking area

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Napoleon said:

North Baltimore to DC is just a little bit farther than Downtown Dallas to Downtown Fort Worth.

BWI airport is considered a DC Area Airport.

If you are familiar with that part of the country, then they are distinctly different areas. But if you are from a place where you drive farther than that just to take your kids to school, then they are basically two different neighborhoods in the same fucking city. The Houston Area and the Metroplex shit bigger distances than North Baltimore to DC without even thinking about it.

Now hold on.

1) BWI airport isn't close to North Baltimore, heck it isn't even in Baltimore proper. It's a good half-hour drive south of the harbor. It's between Baltimore and DC because it was specifically meant to serve both areas.

2) Baltimore to DC is a solid 50 miles. North Baltimore (Towson-area) to DC is even farther. If you start smack in FW and drive east for that distance, you'll end up somewhere around Rockwall. Definitely not the same area at that point.

52 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Now hold on.

1) BWI airport isn't close to North Baltimore, heck it isn't even in Baltimore proper. It's a good half-hour drive south of the harbor. It's between Baltimore and DC because it was specifically meant to serve both areas.

2) Baltimore to DC is a solid 50 miles. North Baltimore (Towson-area) to DC is even farther. If you start smack in FW and drive east for that distance, you'll end up somewhere around Rockwall. Definitely not the same area at that point.

I know you're on the spectrum, so I shouldn't be doing this, but man, you are tone deaf, didactic goober sometimes. This argument was over before it started, and no matter how menial you choose to get, no one else but texifornia is going to agree. No one shows up with slide-rules and unfurls maps when someone alludes to Galveston being in the Houston area, for good reason. Same should have been true here.

Also, HenryJames lamenting a geography discussion is rich. This is a man who has written on multiple occasions about the need to classify Devine and Hondo as their own separate Metropolitan Statistical Area, apart from the oppression of San Antonio altogether.

• Haha 1

The thing that's awesome about this shit show is that it's all in response to me just legitimately not knowing where Kai Locksley was from.  I didn't intend to make any grandiose statements about whether/if Baltimore and DC were the same "area" or not.

With that being said, fuck you Texifornia and Satyanash.  And fuck you CTJ.  And fuck you everyone else, too.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

The thing that's awesome about this shit show is that it's all in response to me just legitimately not knowing where Kai Locksley was from.  I didn't intend to make any grandiose statements about whether/if Baltimore and DC were the same "area" or not. 

With that being said, fuck you Texifornia and Satyanash.  And fuck you CTJ.  And fuck you everyone else, too.

tenor.gif

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Thought you would be busy fighting that crazy ass Aggy from yesterday.

Just now, Orange&White said:

Would Oscar Giles be a better coach/recruiter in DC or in Baltimore? Do they eat Klobasnek there or kolaches? Are Vodka martinis big there or no?

Nothing wrong with eating both klobaskek and kolache, but your first question is interesting. I'm pretty sure if he were recruiting Baltimore he'd also be recruiting DC because it's the same area thx

Super K with some "shh accounting":

You’ve been asking for a shhh accounting. Let me first remind you what the shhh is. It means that a player has given the staff a silent commitment. It doesn’t mean he has given the staff an exact commitment date. It means the staff sufficiently believes that the player is genuine about their commitment to Texas but for whatever reason would like to post the commitment at a later time.

So here are the three most recent shhhs.

***The most recent of the three has not been made public yet. I’m expecting this one to drop at the latest by late September or early October.

***The shhh before that was Derrian Brown. He has already announced.

***The shhh before that has yet to drop. I checked with the player himself and he said that he does not have a date set for his announcement. I was told he’s still trying to put together a video. It could be a situation where he simply hasn’t found a videographer yet. But I honestly couldn’t say. All I could say is that I’m told he remains a silent commitment and the player himself has given me no indication about the actual date he will publicly annouce.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I would like to take this opportunity to challenge every Surly poster who lives in or has ever visited the greater Washington DC area, all of Baltimore and its surrounding areas, and what the hell... the entire state of Maryland, to a fight at a gay bar of their choosing

You buying?

• Like 1

Christ you guys are weirdos.

Local, there's a huge difference.  They are completely distinct and you're likely to get punched in the mouth by a Baltimore resident for saying they live in the DC region. From a recruiting perspective, the communities are very, very different culturally.  

Outside of locals, they are a metroplex like Dallas-Ft. Worth, it's just linguistically unusual to label them as such. So, yeah, for your purposes, it's basically the same area.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I would like to take this opportunity to challenge every Surly poster who lives in or has ever visited the greater Washington DC area, all of Baltimore and its surrounding areas, and what the hell... the entire state of Maryland, to a fight at a gay bar of their choosing

I've been up here close to a month fixing my childhood home up for re-sale.  I haven't seen a lot of gay bars, but man, EVERYONE up here's fat.  I mean roly-poly Vic-o-rama fat.  Maybe if you challenged someone to the same thing at a Baskin-Robbins, it'll be well attended.

And for the record, I haven't looked back at what this weirdass debate is even about, and don't plan to.  

But anyone who thinks that Baltimore and Washington are anywhere near the same has zero fucking clue, I don't give a flying fuck if they're 5 miles from each other.  It's nothing like DFW or any of the cities in that corridor.  It's more like East Berlin and West Berlin, or NorKor and SoufKor.  Growing up, we thought Baltimore was like in fucking Greenland.  Unless you've lived here, you don't have an understanding for how separate the two areas are.  But who gives a shit anyway.  

Edited by phdhorn
  • Like 2