Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

IT Humidor + Team/Recruiting Q&A

By: Justin and Eric

TCU comes to town representing probably the toughest match-up on the schedule for Texas. This is a battle of divergent styles. TCU is quick afoot and of mind. Texas is bigger, more physical, and maybe a bit more lumbering on the headsets. TCU is mentally tough. Texas has shown to be quite resilient under Herman's tutelage. Texas doesn't want this to be a featherweight fight where the offense is unwavering, and TCU doesn't want to trade body blows for an hour. Whichever team asserts its style will have the distinct advantage. It should make for fascinating cinema on Saturday afternoon.

TEAM

This isn't the ideal week for BJ Foster to be suspended for the 1st half of action. That suspension is in conjunction with Malcolm Roach being hurt and missing this week and many more to follow. These two positions are related because if one is on the field the other is not. Texas is effectively down two starters, with the trade-off now between Jeffrey McCulloch at B-backer or Chris Brown at Joker. To win this game, Texas knows it has to be physical, so expect McCulloch to play a bunch as the staff goes with nickel to stop the run. He's played a lot of snaps and the drop-off from Roach's play to his will likely be minimal.

Physicality has been belabored even more than normal. This is a defense that fancies itself as being able to run and hit with anyone. This week that will be challenged. We haven't heard of any wrinkles specific to TCU, though the staff has a lot of respect for what their offense can do. If anyone shadows Jalen Reagor it will be Kris Boyd but we're not sure how much that will happen. For the most part we expect them to just play them honestly and within schemes we've seen in the past.

The defense has a lot of respect for TCU quarterback Shawn Robinson's arm and athleticism, but the feeling is they can disrupt his timing and confuse him. It helps that UT's scout team quarterback, Casey Thompson, is also athletic. Of course they also spent a lot of time preparing for the wisps of smoke TCU can use in the jet game. I don't think you'll see Turpin covered by Naashon Hughes this week. Just a hunch.

Physicality is also the name of the game on offense. Running the ball downhill effectively is the clearest path to victory. There's been a lot of speculation if the team's most talented back, Keaontay Ingram, will play, but we're hearing conflicting things. I hesitate to even say what those are but might go into more detail when it's warranted. There's a lot of confidence in the running backs with or without Ingram and a growing confidence in the offense in general.

With the depth chart and rotations settled I asked who is impressing on the scout teams. It's not surprising that I heard about the defensive linemen from the 2018 class, but I also heard the name Christian Jones on offense. That wasn't expected. You'll recall Jones was a very raw late addition to the 2018 class. Not to overstate it and say he's going to be great, but he's showing to be every bit the athlete for left tackle we thought he might be, he's just showing it a lot sooner. Now, he needs to keep working on technique and building strength, but he has good feet and bend.

I also heard the name Malcolm Epps who will be activated for this week. That's in large part due to Brennan Eagles being out but Epps has been making plays on fades versus the 1st and 2nd team corners. Overall this seems to be a program confident it will play well, but everyone is expecting a close battle, including my buddy who will be wearing purple on the sidelines. I told him, "take it easy on Saturday, at least let the wife and I enjoy the 1st half."

"Come on man, we both know it'll be a slobber-knocker. I think it'll be really tough, I do." I'm starting to believe that as well.

STATE OF RECRUITING 

While Texas tries to run over Frogger on Saturday, the staff will be hosting a handful of prospects for the Big 12 opener. One of those players is the first Texas pledge from the class of 2019, Port Neches-Groves QB Roschon Johnson. He wasn’t thrilled missing the USC game in person, but he definitely watched it on the tube. “I thought it was a great game,” said Johnson. “It was what we need as a program, to bring that type of atmosphere back to DKR. Got to bring it for TCU next.”

Johnson suffered an ankle injury two weeks ago but is expected back on Sept. 28th. “The season is a work in progress but I think each week we’re getting better,” said Johnson. “I can’t wait to get back out there.” Johnson knows he’s the heart and soul of the PNG program, and getting back to his teammates and family is most important. Leadershipping.

Then there’s Jaylen Garth, Johnson’s junior left tackle. The 6-foot-4, 290-pounder holds offers from Alabama, A&M, Arkansas, and Nebraska among others. Despite the slow start for PNG, he’s keeping a positive attitude going into district play. “We’ve started out slowly including me,” said Garth. “But with this bye week, we are getting it right. We know it’ll only make us better and more together.”

His quarterback isn’t the only person in his ear about his future college destination. Texas continues to make that push. “(Hand) and I have been communicating a lot to be honest,” said Garth. “I learn a lot talking to him.” There’s also an anxiousness for Garth attending his first Texas game. He’s been waiting for this. “Honestly, since it’s my first time going to a UT game, I just want see if the atmosphere is better than A&M and how they respond to adversity because I’m positive there’s going to be some against TCU.” Garth pays attention to college football. He knows there’s a lot at stake with TCU coming to town. Another great showing from Texas fans, and the team, would only help.

Roschon Johnson, QB - Port Neches-Groves, TEXAS: It’s always good when your quarterback pledge arrives on campus. Bringing four-star teammate Garth is just a bonus.

Jaylen Garth, OL - Port Neches-Groves: The man assigned with protecting Johnson’s back side, Garth is in the top tier of in-state offensive linemen. His offer list is as impressive as his growth from sophomore to junior year. He’s a fan of Herb Hand and Texas looks good here.

Sawyer Goram-Welch, DL - Longview: The 6-foot-4, 265-pound interior defender continues to put out good tape in his first year with the 3-0 Longview Lobos. He took an UOV to Baylor last weekend, while more and more schools contact him - A&M, LSU, and Texas Tech.

Landon Jackson, DE - Pleasant Grove: Looks like the top prospect in ETX, and one of the best in-state for 2021, is making another drive to Austin. The Aggie legacy continues to build a great relationship with coach Herman and coach Warehime.

Latrell McCutchin, CB - Austin LBJ: He's putting out good sophomore tape. An effortless mover at a shade over 6-foot tall, McCutchin has the look of a sure-fire offer.

We should have a more robust list later today.

TRENDING UP

St. Louis wide receiver, Marcus Washington made his official visit to Texas last week. Not only was it big for the 6-foot-2 pass-catcher, but it was also big for his father who came away very impressed and strengthened relationships. The second Texas lost out on Garrett Wilson it upped its pursuit of Washington and it's paying off. Though he was close to picking the Buckeyes, that notion cooled when scandal broke out. Missouri and Florida seem to be fading some and Ohio State seems to no longer be in the picture or at best on the periphery. UT is quietly feeling confident here. The staff has done a terrific job of making in-roads at Trinity Catholic and it could pay off in this cycle and the next. 2020 running back/receiver Mookie Cooper is also a positive influence in Washington’s recruitment.

TRENDING?

Lewis Cine of Trinity Christian in Cedar Hill has been recruited by Texas steady since he moved to this fair state from Connecticut. He still talks to safeties coach Craig Naivar 2-3 times a week. Cine was supposed to visit for the USC game but his ride fell through. He was genuinely disappointed to miss that game but a re-schedule wasn't initially in the cards. The plan was to visit Michigan this weekend, and then Georgia and Florida before deciding in mid-October.

20 minutes ago, texifornia said:

You post anime gifs and watch Roseanne? You have to be the narrowest of demographic overlaps.

I picture a less intelligent, less wealthy, more digitally connected version of  Nicholas Nassim Taleb. Erudite, cynical, under-spoken, weightlifting Lebanese-looking fella. Probably way off, but I don't want to know otherwise.

18 minutes ago, Froghorn717 said:

nothing to add but the already enjoyable ctj is so much more entertaining after meeting him and SC (and their crew) at my tailgate... 

We enjoyed meeting you and your folks at the tailgate. Your hospitality was outstanding we are probably heading back up in November. Really enjoyed it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Did Tyler Owens participate in one of the Openings this past year?  If so, what were his testing numbers?

I don't think he's done any camps, or at least not that I am aware of. He won the fastest man at the Stars at Night Texas event and broad jumped 11'2" and has run a 10.3 100 on multiple occasions. All this to say that you can't coach size and you can't coach speed and he has both. 

as far as numbers in Texas track meets he's got ::

10.34 100

22.5 200

22'2" LJ

45'5" Trip

and his 11'2" broad jump at Texas. all this at a legit 6'2" and 202. He also has good grades and test scores. He's a screaming take in any cycle imho. Barely scratching the surface of what he could be. 

"but he doesn't play for FAST or TTE"

- EJ and Damon, probably

4 minutes ago, TexasFan21 said:

"Stupid sips, you should know he just got that "Texass" bump. He is not $EC good..."

-Aggy

correct 

via ppp38 who is always a gift  ::

They dropped Brian Williams again and rated some likely sip commit who was a low 3* Tyler Owens to the best safety in TX....

8 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Out of Wiley, Tillman, Sweat, Mpagi, and Caldwell, who seems most likely to end up a composite 4*?  Tillman is right on the edge so he has a real good chance.  Not sure out of the other 4.  Sweat has shown some good highlights early and Wiley is balling, although at a different position.

Tillman and Sweat should be 4*. Mpagi & Caldwell have everything you want in a prospect for Yancy.

14 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Tyler Owens is this year's Overshown. Athletic freak who shoots up the rankings a little late. I'll take it. 

I'm probably just arguing semantics, but while Overshown rose nationally late, he was a known stud regionally for a long time. This seems a little different. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Tyler Owens is this year's Overshown. Athletic freak who shoots up the rankings a little late. I'll take it. 

Kind of reminds me of Adrian Colbert.  Came out of nowhere to be a national prospect as a Senior.  Let's hope Owens doesn't wait until after he transfers to turn into a badass.