Texas recruiting notes 2019

49 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I hope Owens gets a UA or Army AA jersey. I think he needs some all star practices to get a fifth star from 247. Rivals doesn't even know who he is. 

Seriously, I honestly think he'll get one. He's on fire this season, and he's a middle in the form of BJ Foster. Dude can lay the wood. I'll be shocked if he's not invited to one. Doesn't matter, we got a steal with this dude.

52 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think maybe Georgia has higher recruits on their board and Tongue gets trap doored. He's been adamant about sticking at WR. Not sure Kirby is about that. 

We'll see on Warren. I'm not optimistic, the LSU mods are starting to talk him up a lot. They've called him a top 10 in state player. Oeaux will take notice eventually. 

Yeah, I believe that, but who's loving him more? Texas, and that's what kids want...the love. Lsu made him less than a priority, and Texas let's him know he's wanted. I have high hopes. As for Tongue, I would be ecstatic to say the least if he decommits (whether he's pushed out or not) and him come to Texas. Orlando would make him a be feared.

I'm very encouraged with the Owens' recruitment going forward. The staff followed the in state late bloomer model to a t.

Bring them in for recruiting events/camps. Evaluate during spring ball. Keep them warm during the summer. Wait for the 4 game senior film to drop, and then offer and close quickly. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

55 minutes ago, Fud said:

They'll need to miss on a couple of guys, but it's possible they end up pursuing. Bama looking good for Sopsher hurts us here; if LSU was landing the two Sopsher brothers, there's no way they'd have room 

I just think since LSU didn't make him a priority to begin with, he'll take that as a slight, and Herman and Co have made him feel the love and wanted. I think it works in our favor, imo.

1 minute ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I just think since LSU didn't make him a priority to begin with, he'll take that as a slight, and Herman and Co have made him feel the love and wanted. I think it works in our favor, imo.

It might not matter with Warren. If LSU offers, he'll probably sign with them. He's all LSU until he's not. 

23 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Word is he'll jump at an LSU offer 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Owens is so darned fast, I'd be hesitate to spin him down. However, Gary was an all state sprinter in Alabama. I guess we'll see how Owens' body develops. 

Kid looks pretty stout already in the video below. I'd keep him at safety.

Tech site quotes TT commit Steven Parker today as saying Herman and staff are still really "pushing" him for a visit. Says he is 99% Tech unless something major happens like a coach firing.  I'll note 99% is not 100%.
Through six games at S. Oak Cliff, Parker has 48 tackles, 15 sacks, 19 tfl, and 4 forced fumbles.  We'll see what happens.

So what’s the story - why weren’t we pushing for him earlier? Late riser? Is the tape not all that impressive?

9 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

So what’s the story - why weren’t we pushing for him earlier? Late riser? Is the tape not all that impressive?

As long as Giles is here Herman needs to have two lists.  

The elite top tier guys

The 2nd and 3rd level guys you eventually go after when Giles misses.  

The 2nd list needs  to be activated around the middle of July.

Prosper. Sort of

2 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Not so much a late riser, he's been a 4 star since the get go.  It's just that Parker committed to TT way back in May of 2017 and has remained steadfast in his commitment since then, kind of throwing cold water on the typical competitive recruiting process. Pretty good player.

Edited by pigmeat markham
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Carl Winslow said:

As a Horn alum and a big college football fan, I'm glad that he gave up on soccer.

As a massive soccer fan, I wonder how insane of a player he would be with that speed and that grit. With his mindset and physical skills, he would have been a sick soccer player. Possibly national team level within the next couple of years.

42 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Fud, would you rather 4 years of Shammond Cooper or 3 years of Caleb Johnson? 

Caleb Johnson, since positive results sooner should mean a better program trajectory leading to an easier time in recruiting 

25 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Agreed, but I'd rather have Shammond Cooper in Years 3-5. And the Missouri Pipeline. Either way, I think Texas will just be fine. 

And success on the field that Caleb could help us with could lead to even better LBs who'd overlap Cooper's 2-4 years, if we're having to pick one or the other 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

No, I believe that was Dyer from South Carolina. Willie Williams was a Miami recruit with a shit ton of baggage and never amounted to anything. He ended up playing ball for an NAIA team. He was a former 5* LB 

I looked it up right before boarding my flight. Same guy. Miami, JUCOs, Louisville, prison.

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

I looked it up right before boarding my flight. Same guy. Miami, JUCOs, Louisville, prison.

Oh wow. Didn't k wo he went to Louisville. I can't say I'm surprised. I just remember Michael Dyer ending up there. Prison doesn't surprise me in the least. This is the same path Brooks is headed on.

1 hour ago, Fud said:

And success on the field that Caleb could help us with could lead to even better LBs who'd overlap Cooper's 2-4 years, if we're having to pick one or the other 

Yeah we can't dick around and take a step back next year despite the tough schedule b/c 2020/21 are supposed to be special years for talent in the state.