Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

16 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

You are. Wilson wants to go to Texas. He would have already committed if our offense wasn't an issue. He needs to see Sam, Shane and Rising throw the ball around at the Spring Game. He needs to see that really great group of receivers put on a show. Ohio State is his fall back in case Herman isnt able to convince him the offense will be functional and able to showcase his skills. 

We get that refrain. Everyone boys it. I'm just not that optimistic that we're going to show anything of the sort IN the spring game to make him feel that way. 

I also think it's naive to think that he can't fall in love with Ohio State this weekend. Urban is a cunt, but you know what he's still a pretty good coach and recruiter. 

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

We get that refrain. Everyone boys it. I'm just not that optimistic that we're going to show anything of the sort IN the spring game to make him feel that way. 

I also think it's naive to think that he can't fall in love with Ohio State this weekend. Urban is a cunt, but you know what he's still a pretty good coach and recruiter. 

Fuck.  Why am I agreeing with you?  Still.

FUCKING ERRBODY.

58 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Did you forget last year's spring game? Our passing game looked very good and had the recruits buzzing about it. Woodard in particular was very excited about it.

2 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

You are. Wilson wants to go to Texas. He would have already committed if our offense wasn't an issue. He needs to see Sam, Shane and Rising throw the ball around at the Spring Game. He needs to see that really great group of receivers put on a show. Ohio State is his fall back in case Herman isnt able to convince him the offense will be functional and able to showcase his skills. 

You keep saying Wilson will end up at Texas, which is all very well and good... but then you qualify it by saying we need to show him something we haven't been able to show him and probably can't before his decision (a functional passing offense).

Unless you think he commits to Ohio State, but we flip him before NSD.

Mike Roach: UT continuing to impress four-star DB Jalen Catalon

Mansfield Legacy safety Jalen Catalon is one of the most well-known players in the state. A four-star prospect, Catalon holds offers from programs such as Oklahoma, Texas, Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Stanford and TCU. The Longhorns recently turned up the heat on Catalon and have been recruiting him very hard. Texas hosted him on campus a few weeks ago, and he came away loving the family environment. “That visit to Texas was awesome,” he said. “I just got to see the baseball game and the atmosphere of it. It was crazy to see both the football and baseball side of it and chat it up with coach (Craig) Naivar. It was really great. Texas is basically like a family to me and when I go down there, that’s what I feel like.”

Catalon is a big priority for Naivar, and the Texas assistant is building a strong relationship with him. Catalon mentioned his authenticity as something that stood out. “I like the way he approaches life,” Catalon said. “ Football is really important to him, but he just wants to know how life is going. He asks me about baseball and tries to keep up with the family. I love our relationship.” Catalon said he’s also been in contact with the Texas baseball staff, and they made it clear the opportunity is there for him if he wants to play. Having the chance to do both and stay close to home has Texas near the top of his list.

“If I had to make a Top 5, they’d definitely be in there,” Catalon said. “I’ll probably make one more visit before my official, but we’ll see how things work out. I’m definitely going to take an official during the fall.” Along with Texas, Catalon is strongly considering Clemson, Arkansas, Oklahoma and TCU. At 5-foot-9, 180 pounds, Catalon is ranked as the No. 8 safety in the nation and No. 22 overall prospect in the state, according to 247Sports Composite.

E.J. Holland: Four-star WR Elijah Higgins opens up about recruiting

There have been a lot of rumors about Elijah Higgins. But the four-star wide receiver out of Austin Bowie wanted to set the record straight. He is not planning to make a decision at any point this spring and is still evaluating all of his options. “Man, I’m still trying to plan out visits and things like that,” Higgins said. “I like Texas, Stanford, Texas A&M and some others. I do want to make a decision before the season starts, but I’m still looking at everything right now.” Texas has always been considered the frontrunner for Higgins, but Stanford has risen up as a legitimate threat for Higgins over the last couple of months. A high academic kid, Higgins values Stanford’s prestigious academics as well as the opportunity to play out West.

“The education and it being in California is what really stands out to me,” Higgins said. “I still have to visit there. It’s not set in stone. I have to get accepted as well. I’m going to wait until I get accepted before I make a decision. It’s definitely a top school.” Still, Texas remains a top option for Higgins, who made an unofficial visit to Austin a couple of weeks ago and has been on campus on a number of occasions over the last several months. “Texas is still there and hasn’t fallen off yet,” Higgins said with a laugh. “I love all the coaches like Coach (Drew) Mehringer, Coach (Jason) Washington and Coach (Tim) Beck. They just have to throw the ball a little more and get the offense a little better. But I love Texas.”

Higgins was planning to be at the Texas spring game but will not be able to make it due to prom. He does, however, plan to visit soon. At 6-foot-3, 215 pounds, Higgins is ranked as the No. 44 wide receiver in the country and No. 38 overall prospect in the state, per 247Sports Composite.

12 minutes ago, satyanash said:

E.J. Holland: Four-star WR Elijah Higgins opens up about recruiting

Hide contents

There have been a lot of rumors about Elijah Higgins. But the four-star wide receiver out of Austin Bowie wanted to set the record straight. He is not planning to make a decision at any point this spring and is still evaluating all of his options. “Man, I’m still trying to plan out visits and things like that,” Higgins said. “I like Texas, Stanford, Texas A&M and some others. I do want to make a decision before the season starts, but I’m still looking at everything right now.” Texas has always been considered the frontrunner for Higgins, but Stanford has risen up as a legitimate threat for Higgins over the last couple of months. A high academic kid, Higgins values Stanford’s prestigious academics as well as the opportunity to play out West.

“The education and it being in California is what really stands out to me,” Higgins said. “I still have to visit there. It’s not set in stone. I have to get accepted as well. I’m going to wait until I get accepted before I make a decision. It’s definitely a top school.” Still, Texas remains a top option for Higgins, who made an unofficial visit to Austin a couple of weeks ago and has been on campus on a number of occasions over the last several months. “Texas is still there and hasn’t fallen off yet,” Higgins said with a laugh. “I love all the coaches like Coach (Drew) Mehringer, Coach (Jason) Washington and Coach (Tim) Beck. They just have to throw the ball a little more and get the offense a little better. But I love Texas.”

Higgins was planning to be at the Texas spring game but will not be able to make it due to prom. He does, however, plan to visit soon. At 6-foot-3, 215 pounds, Higgins is ranked as the No. 44 wide receiver in the country and No. 38 overall prospect in the state, per 247Sports Composite.

I understand looking at TEXAS & STANFORD.

I understand looking at TEXAS & Texas A&M.

I do not understand looking at TEXAS, STANFORD AND Texas A&M.

One does not seriously consider Stanford AND Texas A&M. 

The A&M inclusion must be due to friends or family or high school coaches or trainers... but it cannot possibly be because he is seriously considering them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ousux said:
2 hours ago, TankedBevo said:
I think if even one the WR's are even marginally effective/competent during the spring game we'll be fine, but of course you have more info on that than I do. 

LJH will ball out in spite of our DB's trying to put on a show..

If he could actually run screens where he stays behind the los that was a cluster last season. 

Edited by utfan87

6 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

The A&M inclusion must be due to friends or family or high school coaches or trainers... but it cannot possibly be because he is seriously considering them.

Stanford doesn't offer a degree in cold fusion. Duh.

9 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

It's impolite to besmirch a young man for pursuing a career in Meat Judging. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Wouldn’t observing our offense in the actual season be more important than seeing if we can throw it around against our third team in a spring game?  

Exactly. We are going to throw it around a ton in the spring game. Our receivers will have huge numbers. Our offense during the season is what is important.

3 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

We just need to show him we actually have a functioning passing offense.

Btw, the new OC at LT is in the middle of installing a lot of Herman's concepts and plays as LT's new offense. Wilson knows the scheme and he really likes it. He just needs to see UT execute it as well as LT... *runs and ducks*

You know... thats fair. I aint even mad.

30 minutes ago, po elvis said:

Exactly. We are going to throw it around a ton in the spring game. Our receivers will have huge numbers. Our offense during the season is what is important.

I would love for Herman to ban Orlando from running lightning in the spring game and let the offense run up and down the field.

3 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Here we go again.  Brainiacs are saying Demani Richardson and his family will visit Texas after his aggy OV and that it will definitely happen this time despite Jimbo's no-visit policy.

Odds on Tarp/Perroni showing up at Richardson's house the night before his visit and trying to talk him out of it? 

10 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Here we go again.  Brainiacs are saying Demani Richardson and his family will visit Texas after his aggy OV and that it will definitely happen this time despite Jimbo's no-visit policy.

What happened the other times?

5 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Even it were to come to pass of Wilson commiting to Urban.  Then they’ll have to fight like hell to keep him unless the offense shits the bed again.  If we shat the bed again; well we don’t deserve high caliber offensive players.  Nobody will give a shit about us banging our chest that we’re Texas.

Would insert the Snatch: I’ll flip you meme or animated gif here if knew how.

Edited by Dr.Dre

2 hours ago, Mother mopar said:
7 hours ago, TankedBevo said:
I'm coming down from Dallas with the wife and toddler in tow. You fucks have no excuses. Onward and upward!

Me and the family are driving from SoCal after selling our house on our way to Florida. MM clan will be representing.

Yo, I made that drive back in November. San Diego to Pensacola. Definitely a long... Long trip. Made the most out of it with stops to see friends in El Paso, SA, Austin, and Houston though

1 hour ago, Dr.Dre said:

Even it were to come to pass of Wilson commiting to Urban.  Then they’ll have to fight like hell to keep him unless the offense shits the bed again.  If we shat the bed again; well we don’t deserve high caliber offensive players.  Nobody will give a shit about us banging our chest that we’re Texas.

Would insert the Snatch: I’ll flip you meme or animated gif here if knew how.

With that logic, we'd have to fight like hell to keep him if he commits here and our offense shits the bed this season. 

• Haha 1