Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

11 minutes ago, Get ln My Van said:

I’ll raise an eyebrow if Leal commits to aggy and doesn’t visit for our spring game, but even then I won’t really give a fuck because it’s only April and we’ve got a total of 4 commits on the board with a hell of a long ride ahead.

In other words, piss off pussies.

Think he was expected the week after, so time to get him back in. 

1 hour ago, RabidM said:

He chose not to and losing recruiting battles with Giles was very foreseeable. 

How do you know this until national signing day? 

All I remember from last year is this exact same narrative and we closed with Coburn, Ossai, Ojomo, Williams and Carson. 

I'm not trying to hype Giles by any means but it's odd people are going down this route when we went through this exact same process last year. If the DL class sucks after national signing day Giles deserves criticism.

Edited by texasstrong12

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

This is pretty much what happens every April. We have now officially welcomed Surly. 

Not last April. That was when we flipped Rising, stole Moore from the Sooners, had Tatum committed (if only temporarily), then flipped Sterns a week into May.

I'm hoping for a stretch as amazing as that one this cycle, and at least for now it seems we might need one like it.

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Not last April. That was when we flipped Rising, stole Moore from the Sooners, had Tatum committed (if only temporarily), then flipped Sterns a week into May.

I'm hoping for a stretch as amazing as that one this cycle, and at least for now it seems we might need one like it.

Oh, there were plenty of people bitching about Giles around this time last year. 

14 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I don't think the Giles conversation started in earnest until summer. We were all riding high in April.

People have been shitting on Giles recruiting ability since he got here because of how he finished under Mack. 

I could go find a billion posts from CTJ way before April on Shaggy. 

There's probably some truth to CTJ's position, but it just seems odd to go down this route again. Is Giles a great recruiter, nah. But we landed a pretty legit DL class last cycle. That's all I care about. Until Giles whiffs on a DL recruiting class I'm not going to bitch and moan about his recruiting ability. 

Generally speaking, I have a tough time believing Giles is as shitty as some think based on 1) the comments from recruits and 2) the DL class we landed last cycle. 

Edited by texasstrong12

12 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

People have been shitting on Giles recruiting effort since he got here because of how he finished his tenure under Mack. 

I could go find a billion posts from CTJ way before April on Shaggy. 

There's probably some truth to CTJ's position, but it just seems odd to go down this route again. Is Giles a great recruiter, nah. But we landed a pretty legit DL class last cycle. That's all I care about. 

We landed a great DL class because we were able to put Carrington in the trail post NSD1.

The only DL we were in good shape for before then was Coburn, and that was thanks to Meekins.

Ossai was an A&M lean.

Carson's recruitment was dead in the water until Carrington did an in-home with him.

Mike Williams I'm more fuzzy on. I think Jason Washington was the one who visited him in Louisiana and offered, but I don't remember the details of that recruitment.

Ojomo's visits occurred I think after Carrington was taken off the road, so I'll give you that one.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 2

^point being, if that's something we can replicate every cycle, then fine. But I don't think it is, because 1) every recruitment is different 2) the new OV windows have led prospects to move up their commitment timelines and 3) we won't always have a coaching vacancy to temporarily let Carrington take over.

12 minutes ago, Machinator said:

We landed a great DL class because we were able to put Carrington in the trail post NSD1.

The only DL we were in good shape for before then was Coburn, and that was thanks to Meekins.

Ossai was an A&M lean.

Carson's recruitment was dead in the water until Carrington did an in-home with him.

Mike Williams I'm more fuzzy on. I think Jason Washington was the one who visited him in Louisiana and offered, but I don't remember the details of that recruitment.

People are really jumping through hoops to not give Giles any credit for the DL class we landed. So does Carrington get criticism for not closing the deal on Leal when he visited Texas? 

Or is this how it's going to work with Giles. He gets no credit for the commits we land but all the blame for every recruit we miss on? 

It's alright to say Giles played some role in landing the DL class last cycle. I think he played a big role in Ossai's recruitment in particular based on Ossai's comments. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

People are really jumping through hoops to not give Giles any credit for the DL class we landed. So does Carrington get criticism for not closing the deal on Leal when he visited Texas? 

Or is this how it's going to work with Giles. He gets no credit for any recruits and all the blame for every recruit we miss on? 

I'm not necessarily blaming Giles for Leal, because he's so important that Herman should have been (and is) the lead man on this recruitment regardless. And of course, Leal's recruitment isn't over anyway.

But I have no faith in Giles as a primary recruiter without help, no.

34 minutes ago, Machinator said:

But I have no faith in Giles as a primary recruiter without help, no.

What makes you think Giles isn't getting help or won't get help when it matters? 

All I care about is the end result. The end result last cycle was Ojomo, Ossai, Coburn, Williams and Carson. Elite? Probably not but that's a way above average DL class. 

Giles will deserve criticism if he whiffs this cycle and so will the other coaches that are apparently helping him land every DL commit on our roster. It's just odd the mental gymnastics people are jumping through to credit other assistants for the DL commits we land while placing blame on Giles for every recruit we miss. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 4

57 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Ossai was an A&M lean.

Ojomo's visits occurred I think after Carrington was taken off the road, so I'll give you that one.

1) Ossai- https://www.hookem.com/2018/01/15/longhorns-focus-on-top-remaining-2018-targets/

“(Texas) has done a great job recruiting him, especially Giles,” said a source close to Ossai. “He is the biggest reason UT is in this conversation.”

2) Ojomo-https://n.rivals.com/news/big-dt-moro-ojomo-gives-the-skinny-on-his-texas-commitment

His relationship with defensive line coach Oscar Giles was one of the most crucial factors in his decision. “Texas recruited me hard throughout the entire process,” he said. “It was really them, Oregon and [Oklahoma] … but I dealt a lot with Coach Giles and he’s a great guy; a really good person and I’m excited to see what he can do for me as a player.”

There's also similar quotes from Carson where he said Giles played a critical role in his decision to pick Texas. I'm too lazy to find them. Obviously, Carrington deserves a lot of credit but so does Giles. 

• Like 2

When was the last time a recruit mentioned Mehringer? 

This putz can't even put up a proper Hook'em and ran off our best receiver. 

He should have been replaced as soon as the season ended. Him and a one or two other offensive coaches are dead weight. 

Blaming Giles is bush league, this is on Herman for not getting another rain maker on defense. 

#1 We're dealing with kids who are still juniors in high school, some of which are swayed by the strangest things. #2 Texas isn't going to get every recruit they want. #3 it's April and the early signing period is 8 months away.

But it's nice to know the bridge jumping mentality continues on Surly. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

When was the last time a recruit mentioned Mehringer? 

This putz can't even put up a proper Hook'em and ran off our best receiver. 

He should have been replaced as soon as the season ended. Him and a one or two other offensive coaches are dead weight. 

Blaming Giles is bush league, this is on Herman for not getting another rain maker on defense. 

Wright mentioned him last week after he visited about him breaking down film in wr room so that he could understand it

I’d feel pretty good if Leal gets out of Aggyland without a public commitment. 

Assuming everything is above board, I guess Jimbo is promising starting spots to get these guys to shut it down so early. I could see this working with the safeties and CBs, but it’s not like our DE/DT depth chart should scare anyone away. 

8 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

All I remember from last year is this exact same narrative and we closed with Coburn, Ossai, Ojomo, Williams and Carson. 

I'm not trying to hype Giles by any means but it's odd people are going down this route when we went through this exact same process last year. If the DL class sucks after national signing day Giles deserves criticism.

Everyine was fine with it last year because Max Wright and Bobby Brown, the two targets we missed out on early, had flaws and were replaceable with late risers like Ojomo or OOS finds like Carson/Williams.

Leal is not replaceable. Period. He's #1 on everyone's board and for good reason.

Edited by satyanash

He hasn’t committed (publicly) yet so no need to freak out, yet. But if he does is it really surprising? Similar thing happened last year. Texas was in the lead for Perkins then on his OU visit he shut it down and committed. Pretty surprising.

Regardless It’s still early so even if he does commit he already used his OV to aggy. ( he’s been quiet in the recruiting process so makes me wonder if he would even go back on his word if he committed? But he’s a 17 year old so they change their mind often)