Texas recruiting notes 2019

18 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Frankly, I have some of the same concerns about Derrian Brown, just because there's so little film of him making something out of nothing at the line of scrimmage.

A lot of us did (Nahlin especially) after his junior year. Lots of highlights of him running straight through wide open holes. But apparently he showed significant improvement his senior year.

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

Would rather take our chances in the free agent, err I mean the grad transfer market than do this. Ingram, Young, Grad Transfer and Brown for next year plus anything you get from the other guys is house money. 

It seems like we are going to need to hit the grad transfer market at RB regardless of who we get in this class. Cain being an EE helps, but we really need an experienced upgrade over Young if possible. I suppose if Ingram actually stays healthy it may all be moot, but we seem to be the only team that regularly loses key position players to injury.

8 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Come On Man.....

Ingram + Watson 2018 recruiting grade = B

What else do you want from a legit day one starter caliber freshman who was the top back in the state and a major contributor grad transfer?  Think you may be setting the bar a little too high? 

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

The thing I like better about Derrian Brown is that he has nice vision when it comes to getting north and south and an effective jump cut in the hole that he showed more than once. Once he gets by that first guy he is 10+ yards downfield with his speed before anyone else gets a clean shot at him. 

He anticipates the hole well and hits it quickly. Should be a nice asset in our zone plays. 

Now for the mom jokes..

1 minute ago, rickyspub said:

It seems like we are going to need to hit the grad transfer market at RB regardless of who we get in this class. Cain being an EE helps, but we really need an experienced upgrade over Young if possible. I suppose if Ingram actually stays healthy it may all be moot, but we seem to be the only team that regularly loses key position players to injury.

Based on nothing, whatsoever. 

Oklahoma and Oklahoma St lost their starting RB's this year and that's just what I pulled off the top of my head. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

20 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Come On Man.....

Ingram + Watson 2018 recruiting grade = B

This is just wrong. Like really wrong. Two solid day-one starters in one class! The best grad transfer RB and the best high school RB in Texas when the dropoff to #2 was a chasm.

Edited by texifornia

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

Based on nothing, whatsoever. 

Oklahoma and Oklahoma St lost their starting RB's this year and that's just what I pulled off the top of my head. 

Hyperbole, sure...And yet Murray was upright for the entire season. aggy had only one RB and one QB worth a shit and neither one missed any time. It seems like when we can't afford to lose a player, that is exactly who we lose to injury. Donta is probably the last above average guy we had at RB or QB that manage to play at plus level for an entire season. Colt's 2009 season is probably the last time we had a QB do it.

1 minute ago, rickyspub said:

Hyperbole, sure...And yet Murray was upright for the entire season. aggy had only one RB and one QB worth a shit and neither one missed any time. It seems like when we can't afford to lose a player, that is exactly who we lose to injury. Donta is probably the last above average guy we had at RB or QB that manage to play at plus level for an entire season. Colt's 2009 season is probably the last time we had a QB do it.

Umm....

7 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

giphy.gif

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

What else do you want from a legit day one starter caliber freshman who was the top back in the state and a major contributor grad transfer?  Think you may be setting the bar a little too high? 

Alright..... I'll admit my error and eat some hickory smoked crow

( Error was.... Ingram + Watson 2018 recruiting grade = B)

Ingram always liked Texas so much,  that I probably did not give Stan Drayton enough credit in his recruitment.  Still hoping to see Texas land one of the Top RBs for this 2019 Class....

Hook'em 🤘

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Yeah, these are all problems. The bigger problem for me is that Katy players are usually maxed out by the time they hit college. They've been in an amazing weight program and an amazing conditioning program from youth sports forward. They're hitting their ceilings by the time they're walking onto campus. Is that 100% true? Absolutely not. Is it more true than pretty much any other program in the entire country? Yes.

Show me the next Katy guy that has raw talent to mine and mold into a raging college talent with high draft pick potential and I'll tell you he's the first. You'll then argue with me about Rodney Anderson or Moro Ojomo or some other guy I forgot, but you get the point. 

I get your point, but couldn't similar things be said about IMG players? They aren't as over-utilized as your standard Katy back, but the wide open running lines they enjoy are even more dramatic. And there are zero IMG players that are raw, moldable kids. You get a player from IMG who has been trained to the maximum they could possibly be at this level.  

42 minutes ago, satyanash said:

A lot of us did (Nahlin especially) after his junior year. Lots of highlights of him running straight through wide open holes. But apparently he showed significant improvement his senior year.

Well his line has four P5 linemen on it  and they are making lots of holes for him.

Edited by Not a Sock

1 minute ago, Jester’s Inn said:

The recruiting nightmare or other wise known as aggy decommittment  season might be getting even better.  Looks like their dc Elko might be taking the Temple coaching vacancy 

If Elko leaves, that might put S Brian Williams back in play. He loved UT and the DB coaches but he had an even stronger relationship with Elko going back to ND. I will check around to see what I can find out.

1 minute ago, Longhorn94 said:

If Elko leaves, that might put S Brian Williams back in play. He loved UT and the DB coaches but he had an even stronger relationship with Elko going back to ND. I will check around to see what I can find out.

Would we even want him?

I kind of figured it was Leal, Richardson, Mowry, or GTFO (on the D-side of the ball, at least).

Edited by Katfid54

Just now, Katfid54 said:

Would we even want him?

I kind of figured it was Leal, Richardson, Wright, or GTFO (on the D-side of the ball, at least).

yeah i dont know. thats what i am going to ask. i know we valued Williams over Richardson as a S prospect. but have heard that Richardson might be more of a LB in college. 

Edited by Longhorn94

3 hours ago, Sejjr said:

The negativity towards Glass is pretty funny. I get that you fucks like to portray Katy RBs as the high school version of Wisconsin RBs, and we are all nursing a pounding hangover from watching Kyle Porter. But Glass to me looks like the kind of RB that will go to Okie Lite and torture us for 3 years, while the announcers say shit like "he grew up wanting to go to Texas", and the casual fans start asking "why didn't Texas get that guy?"

I also recall watching that Katy vs Westlake game a couple years back and thinking "who is that kid" while watching him run wild. He and Sam were the two best players on the field that night. I'd rather get Cain or Sanders, but I don't think the kid sucks. 

I agree with you 100%I have seen him play and he's not KP 2.0.  We have squints PTSD with QBs from Lake Travis, but we probably would have had better seasons if we had taken any of them since.  

It will be disappointing if we don't land one of the top backs this cycle, and Sanders/Williams/Cain are the prize but I don't think Glass is a jag  

• Like 2

Yeah, these are all problems. The bigger problem for me is that Katy players are usually maxed out by the time they hit college. They've been in an amazing weight program and an amazing conditioning program from youth sports forward. They're hitting their ceilings by the time they're walking onto campus. Is that 100% true? Absolutely not. Is it more true than pretty much any other program in the entire country? Yes.
Show me the next Katy guy that has raw talent to mine and mold into a raging college talent with high draft pick potential and I'll tell you he's the first. You'll then argue with me about Rodney Anderson or Moro Ojomo or some other guy I forgot, but you get the point. 

Hmm. Well I am sure we can find exceptions here and there and argue in bunches so I’ll start....Sam Ehlinger had been playing QB in one WL system or another since he was 8 years old.

He has gotten measurably better in college.

• Like 1

Now that we seem to have missed on our top targets, it is actually perversely glorious watching mental midgets gymnasticating their way into believing Glass is a good RB. There is a reason he is so down on our board. There is a reason he is not being recruited by any of the national powers. We need a game breaker at RB. He could very well turn out to be that guy, but the odds are against it. Problem is that we got lapped by better recruiters this cycle for most of our players. We had to settle for guys down the board and it is looking like a hohum class right now. The staff is a 3-4 elite recruiters and a bunch of JAGS. 

Edited by horn_of_the_morning
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 7