Texas recruiting notes 2019

8 hours ago, Sandlot said:

Does Leal have any senior highlights because the highlights that I saw of him from his sophomore or junior year I was not impressed.

Here are his mid-season highlights. His team just lost this weekend, so the full highlights should be out soon.

https://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Auburn-Tigers-VIP-Recruiting-Insider-Shifting-running-back-intel-125309584/

From an Auburn mod:

-Last week, in responding to a board post by a subscriber, I wrote that Auburn wasn't going to get 4-star back Noah Cain of Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy. As it turns out, I may have spoken too soon. We've learned the Tigers are in this much more than we thought. I repeat, much more. The feeling, according to at least a couple sources, is that this may have turned into an Auburn-Penn State battle. As Cain continued to take visits, the Tigers quietly worked him hard behind the scenes and it has kept them in contention.

We also can report that Auburn coach Gus Malzahn and running backs coach Tim Horton did an in-home with Cain and his mother in Florida lasst Thursday. According to Cain's father, his flight was delayed and he arrived later. Nonetheless, that visit apparently went well and the Cains continue to listen to Auburn's pitch. Cain isn't expected to announce anything publicly until the early signing period, which begins Dec. 19, but the colleges involved could find out something as early as this week. Should Cain pick Penn State, that would help Auburn with Mark-Antony Richards, the 4-star back from West Palm Beach (Fla.) Wellington.

Cain is an early enrollee.

-Richards is on his official this weekend and there is a real sense of optimism on the Auburn side. Once again, Richards and his family have clicked with the people in Auburn. Penn State is involved, along with longtime perceived favorite Miami and even Florida. But there are some at Auburn who think the Tigers may be in the best shape at this time. We'll learn more post-visit but that's the vibe as of Sunday morning. Richards is not an early enrollee. Penn State already has one back committed. If it lands Cain, that's another plus for Auburn. Miami's recruiting hasn't been going great of late, so you have to consider that, too. Still, that's the local team and it's a threat.

Who Auburn hires as offensive coordinator certainly will play a role here. But this recruitment is a lot about Richards' relationship with Malzahn and Horton.

There are some who think Auburn may have a better chance with Richards than any backs it's recruiting.

-Auburn is a top contender for DJ Williams of Sebring (Fla.). At least one of the other programs involved thinks the Tigers may be in the best shape. The question is, what happens if Alabama offers. He's in Tuscaloosa, Ala., this weekend for an official. If the Tide offers, things get real interesting. If not, Auburn's chances of landing Williams, an early enrollee committed to Appalachian State, improve. Miami is the other top contender. Also, he still plans to visit Georgia again. Don't count out that program.

Auburn would love to land two of these three. That would be the ideal situation.

Now, Griffin also has emerged as a top candidate. Will he officially visit next weekend? That's not yet known. If Griffin doesn't sign with N.C. State during the early signing period, then he's more heavily in the conversation with Auburn. If he's not in Auburn next weekend, then it would happen in January.

The big take-aways here ... Auburn is in it with Cain far more than people think, feels fairly good about where it sits with Richards, remains a major contender with Williams and potentially could become a threat with Griffin.

8 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

Sounds like a whole lotta sunshine there, but still not great news for us. 

It's par for the course, every single school is making a mad rush for recruits as NSD1 draws closer. Sometimes you can strike gold late in the game. I, for one, am not worried about RB recruiting.

Auburn piece reads like a cya piece, so that no matter which rbs they end up getting, the guy can reference this and say we told you. Especially if their info is coming only from the Auburn coaching staff. 

They claim Cain is an Auburn penn st battle, and there’s been nothing from Texas indicating he’s eliminated them.  The most logical reason for Texas to be eliminated privately at this juncture is they think, or Cain thinks, that a 2nd back is already in the fold. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

15 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Auburn piece reads like a cya piece, so that no matter which rbs they end up getting, the guy can reference this and say we told you. Especially if their info is coming only from the Auburn coaching staff. 

They claim Cain is an Auburn penn st battle, and there’s been nothing from Texas indicating he’s eliminated them.  The most logical reason for Texas to be eliminated privately at this juncture is they think, or Cain thinks, that a 2nd back is already in the fold. 

Another running back you say....hmmm

9 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Need to knock it out of the park with Butler OT Tommy Kennedy. I just hope that OU doesn't succeed in getting both Cunningham and Kennedy.

Let’s see if we offer Kennedy after meeting in person. Cunningham is a kick in the nuts. 

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Looks like Baylor is making a push for Peyton Powell.

No sleep will be lost.

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=JuniorCollege&Position=OT

Was perusing the above site and saw that OU holds another JUCO OT commitment from Felix Finley. I am not sure about their numbers, but you would have to think that this theoretically helps us with Tommy Kennedy.

Also, saw that Bamidele Olaseni is ranked higher than Cunningham and Finley, but he's only visited Utah and Auburn. Is this because he's a spring grad and schools are holding off on pushing for him now?

Edited by UDontKnow

19 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=JuniorCollege&Position=OT

Was perusing the above site and saw that OU holds another JUCO OT commitment from Felix Finley. I am not sure about their numbers, but you would have to think that this theoretically helps us with Tommy Kennedy.

Also, saw that Bamidele Olaseni is ranked higher than Cunningham and Finley, but he's only visited Utah and Auburn. Is this because he's a spring grad and schools are holding off on pushing for him now?

Yeah Olaseni is a May grad.

24 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I hate losing to a guy who looks like this

VNMRYREOOVXLHMA.20150819002520.jpg

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=208803451we’ve just gotten our shit together in the last 10 months. 

We’ve only gotten our shit together in the last 10 months.

With CDC and if Herman can continue to build we so expect great results in our 2020-21 classes. If we had Bragg, this OL class would be perceived very differently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex Karev said:

FROM the Tiger boards

5_4609638.jpgcharlie5_247S72 mins

My god move on from Cain already

Should be a sign that LSU and Texas don’t want him

He wanted to go anywhere but AU and more than likely still will

Going to screw the pooch on RB recruiting yet again

Screw the pooch is what you call Ingram?

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

image.png

Peyton Powell getting love for Bears and Tech..... what's the real story here??

1) Maybe a kid who should have waited to commit??  

2) Horns not that concerned if he looks around because he's not as important, and ok saving spot for 2020 Class??

3) With BJ staying, ok to not sign another safety??

4) Lots of raw talent, but not a certainty that Powell will excel in CFB??

Horns247 Sunday Scoop: Intel on key target; Peyton Powell shakeup

— JUCO linebacker Caleb Johnson is set to make a decision at the end of the week. However, Johnson told me he has not made a commitment behind the scenes and has not informed any staff of what the decision may be. Both Tom Herman and Todd Orlando are set to make an in-home visit with him tomorrow. New Colorado head coach Mel Tucker will also make an in-home visit tomorrow. Colorado is trying to make things interesting late, and Oregon remains a threat.

— Odessa Permian athlete Peyton Powell did make a visit to Baylor this weekend. I reported yesterday that the Texas staff had positive conversations with Powell, so it doesn’t appear that there was complete honesty when it came to him making his way to Waco. It wouldn’t be surprising to see him visit Texas Tech as well. Powell has always been one of the weirder recruitments of the cycle, and we feel like Texas is going to have to fight to keep him. Texas has talked to him about potentially enrolling early and starting off at quarterback, but I’ve heard Baylor and more so Tech are also telling him he can be a quarterback and get on the field early.

— Five-star 2020 Saguaro (AZ) defensive back Kelee Ringo did make it to Austin for his unofficial visit this weekend and enjoyed his time on campus. His family didn’t join him, so this was more of a trip geared towards Ringo feeling comfortable as an individual in Austin. He got to spend a ton of time with the team and hung around the facilities. We are feeling good about where Texas stands early on.

— The official visit weekend is over. All players are off campus, and Herman is gearing up to hit the West Coast tomorrow as he will see the aforementioned Johnson. We will have more on the official visitors later today and tomorrow.

55 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Peyton Powell getting love for Bears and Tech..... what's the real story here??

1) Maybe a kid who should have waited to commit??  

2) Horns not that concerned if he looks around because he's not as important, and ok saving spot for 2020 Class??

3) With BJ staying, ok to not sign another safety??

4) Lots of raw talent, but not a certainty that Powell will excel in CFB?

247 Response on Powell.......

"Odessa Permian athlete Peyton Powell did make a visit to Baylor this weekend. I reported yesterday that the Texas staff had positive conversations with Powell, so it doesn’t appear that there was complete honesty when it came to him making his way to Waco. It wouldn’t be surprising to see him visit Texas Tech as well. Powell has always been one of the weirder recruitments of the cycle, and we feel like Texas is going to have to fight to keep him. Texas has talked to him about potentially enrolling early and starting off at quarterback, but I’ve heard Baylor and more so Tech are also telling him he can be a quarterback and get on the field early."

Edited by LTtxfan