Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

13 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

The negativity towards Glass is pretty funny. I get that you fucks like to portray Katy RBs as the high school version of Wisconsin RBs, and we are all nursing a pounding hangover from watching Kyle Porter. But Glass to me looks like the kind of RB that will go to Okie Lite and torture us for 3 years, while the announcers say shit like "he grew up wanting to go to Texas", and the casual fans start asking "why didn't Texas get that guy?"

I also recall watching that Katy vs Westlake game a couple years back and thinking "who is that kid" while watching him run wild. He and Sam were the two best players on the field that night. I'd rather get Cain or Sanders, but I don't think the kid sucks. 

This. I've liked Glass for a couple years. Was never a huge fan of Porter on field but both are good kids. Not gonna sweat it if our takes are Brown and Glass. I actually like Glass better than Brown but I reserve the right to delete this tweet in a couple years. 

33 minutes ago, cafe society said:

A question for those Surls who seem to have behind-the-scenes info/insight:  wrt the Foster rb from Wichita Falls, is our lack of interest due to on-the-field issues, i.e., he isn't a good fit for Herman's offense, or off-the-field issues?  Is he too small?  Lifelong Horned Frog fan?  Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.

His first offer was from TCU, but I don't know if he's a life long fan, or if he's just a man of his word. Being from WF I've seen him play a lot. He's definitely worth a scholly from Texas. I can ask around and see what's said. A buddy of mine is a teacher at Hirschi, so I'll ask. He's a good kid with good grades. I know Virginia Tech offered him awhile ago, but I assume he doesn't want to stray too far from home since FW is only 2 hours away. 

1 minute ago, CastHorn said:

When he doesn't get touched on the entire play, he looks dynamite.  But other than that, I can't help but see someone who looks totally pedestrian.

Compare and contrast his film to last year's highlight tape of Keaontay Ingram's tape which repeatedly showed him busting out of tackles at the line of scrimmage and then outrunning an entire, unblocked defense.  We should find more of the latter.

• Like 4

The whole Penn St thing with Cain doesn't really make sense since he's not from the mid-Atlantic or Northeast.  You usually don't see kids from the south (or Texas) go to Penn St, even though there probably are exceptions on occasion.  In general, I think there's a lot smoke from the Cain camp to keep folks guessing not to mention all the media-fed speculation.  We'll know for sure on Dec 19th ... 

As far as who to take if Sanders (Alabama, GA or FL) and/or Cain go elsewhere, I'd focus on Glass and the JUCO RB from Cali.  In any class where you didn't have all the focus and hype over Cain and Sanders, a RB like Glass would be take.  

5 minutes ago, Herminator said:

The whole Penn St thing with Cain doesn't really make sense since he's not from the mid-Atlantic or Northeast.  You usually don't see kids from the south (or Texas) go to Penn St, even though there probably are exceptions on occasion.  In general, I think there's a lot smoke from the Cain camp to keep folks guessing not to mention all the media-fed speculation.  We'll know for sure on Dec 19th ... 

As far as who to take if Sanders (Alabama, GA or FL) and/or Cain go elsewhere, I'd focus on Glass and the JUCO RB from Cali.  In any class where you didn't have all the focus and hype over Cain and Sanders, a RB like Glass would be take.  

IMG players tend to be more mercenary.

35 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

Glass looks the part, he reminds me of Elijah Holyfield in HS, Holyfield was NFL ready though, Glass needs another 15lbs. Not overly crafty backs, but very athletic and well built. I think he’ll be successful where ever he goes.

So basically Kyle Porter?

17 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

When he doesn't get touched on the entire play, he looks dynamite.  But other than that, I can't help but see someone who looks totally pedestrian.

Compare and contrast his film to last year's highlight tape of Keaontay Ingram's tape which repeatedly showed him busting out of tackles at the line of scrimmage and then outrunning an entire, unblocked defense.  We should find more of the latter.

Starting at the 1:03 mark of his Sr. hudl film, there's actually 3-4 plays showing him shaking tacklers and picking up chunks of yardage.  

Comparing the level of competition between Carthage and Katy isn't exactly apples to apples either.  

I'll be as shit pissed as anyone if we don't land any of the other 4 rb's that are mentioned as being on the board, but lets not pretend he's Tristan Houston 2.0.  

3 minutes ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Starting at the 1:03 mark of his Sr. hudl film, there's actually 3-4 plays showing him shaking tacklers and picking up chunks of yardage.  

Comparing the level of competition between Carthage and Katy isn't exactly apples to apples either.  

I'll be as shit pissed as anyone if we don't land any of the other 4 rb's that are mentioned as being on the board, but lets not pretend he's Tristan Houston 2.0.  

Yah, he actually has some good first cut and shake to him. Nothing too fancy, but more than just running straight ahead. 

1 hour ago, Sejjr said:

The negativity towards Glass is pretty funny. I get that you fucks like to portray Katy RBs as the high school version of Wisconsin RBs, and we are all nursing a pounding hangover from watching Kyle Porter. But Glass to me looks like the kind of RB that will go to Okie Lite and torture us for 3 years, while the announcers say shit like "he grew up wanting to go to Texas", and the casual fans start asking "why didn't Texas get that guy?"

I also recall watching that Katy vs Westlake game a couple years back and thinking "who is that kid" while watching him run wild. He and Sam were the two best players on the field that night. I'd rather get Cain or Sanders, but I don't think the kid sucks. 

My issue with Katy RBs is they tend to run behind a good HS line with a great offense that distorts their numbers compared to other backs.

The bigger issue is Katy tends to wear our their top RBs so by the time they get to college there is not a lot of life left in them.

For Glass my concern is he has had big to major injuries keep him out of chunks of each of his last 3 seasons. Every time he looks to be almost 100% he gets hit with another injury.

I just don't know how many more injuries he can overcome.

Ah yes. The standard 3 pages of equivocations about a player we've been down on that we'll now justify being stuck with for years.

"Listen, of course I'd prefer a nice pour of Macallan 25, or even a few fingers of Garrison Brothers. But you guys who are insisting that rubbing alcohol isn't a perfectly fine drink at the end of the day are just being fucking assholes. And you know what, you're not a coach, trust the staff."

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Ah yes. The standard 3 pages of equivocations about a player we've been down on that we'll now justify being stuck with for years.

"Listen, of course I'd prefer a nice pour of Macallan 25, or even a few fingers of Garrison Brothers. But you guys who are insisting that rubbing alcohol isn't a perfectly fine drink at the end of the day are just being fucking assholes. And you know what, you're not a coach BARTENDER, trust the staff."

FIFY

5 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

For Glass my concern is he has had big to major injuries keep him out of chunks of each of his last 3 seasons. Every time he looks to be almost 100% he gets hit with another injury.

Kirk Johnson should be his recruiting host.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

He flat out said why in July....

“You want a o-line that fits your style of running,” Cain said. “I think a pro-style linemen is my best fit instead of no-huddle type. That’s why schools like Georgia, LSU and Penn State stay in the mix so much. They run a pro-style type.”

Its also the reason Texas was going to be a harder sell on him.

Is the PSU offense that much different than ours?  

21 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

My issue with Katy RBs is they tend to run behind a good HS line with a great offense that distorts their numbers compared to other backs.

The bigger issue is Katy tends to wear our their top RBs so by the time they get to college there is not a lot of life left in them.

Yeah, these are all problems. The bigger problem for me is that Katy players are usually maxed out by the time they hit college. They've been in an amazing weight program and an amazing conditioning program from youth sports forward. They're hitting their ceilings by the time they're walking onto campus. Is that 100% true? Absolutely not. Is it more true than pretty much any other program in the entire country? Yes.

Show me the next Katy guy that has raw talent to mine and mold into a raging college talent with high draft pick potential and I'll tell you he's the first. You'll then argue with me about Rodney Anderson or Moro Ojomo or some other guy I forgot, but you get the point. 

• Like 1

I’m not against taking Glass but I don’t look at him as a guy that will be able to contribute immediately.  I just get this terrible feeling based on no evidence that he will be another Tristan Houston or Kyle Porter.  The reason we need to hit in Cain, sanders, or the juco guy is because we need someone to take over Watson’s role and those guys are much more polished and ready to contribute.  

Speaking of Watson, I really enjoyed watching him this year and how we utilized him.  He’s a very well rounded back that can do a little bit of everything.  Wish we had him for another year.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I still think Drayton is an incomplete until the second signing day is finished. There's still a lot going on and there are proof points that offer at least a modicum of patience regarding his role until the dust settles.

So Ctj,  just a little.....

Just now, Longhorn94 said:

Is Cain really that much different than Glass? Im not really excited about either.

I’ve read different posters state he’s more college ready and more polished.  Who knows though.

Also,  if Drayton misses this cycle and can’t land Evans next cycle, then he needs to be shown the door.  The guy was supposed to be this staff’s recruiting rain maker.

• Like 1

The allure of Cain is that he's a good all-around running back and system fit who is enrolling early, which means he should be able to contribute immediately as an RB2 next season and would establish a decent floor at RB should something bad happen to Ingram.

Using a scholarship on Glass would not be optimal for 2020-2022, but if he can give us 70-80% of what Cain offers in 2019, it's not the worst thing in the world.

Edited by Machinator

Just now, Longhorn94 said:

Is Cain really that much different than Glass? Im not really excited about either.

I like that Cain enrolls early, and thus should be more ready to play next year when the depth chart could potentially be Ingram, Young, and the 2019 class. He's also already a pretty good pass protector and receiver. As far as ceiling goes, he looks like your run of the mill chain moving SEC back, like an Alfred Blue, Kenny Irons, Stevan Ridley, etc. There's value in that in the Big XII where defenders tend to ole ball carries after a few hard collisions, but I don't think he's a rare prospect by any means. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, victory88 said:

Also,  if Drayton misses this cycle and can’t land Evans next cycle, then he needs to be shown the door.  The guy was supposed to be this staff’s recruiting rain maker.

By then it would be too late

After watching North Shore on TV, that 2021 WR on North Shore looks like the WR version of Evans. Can we set up a pipeline there?

1 minute ago, Fud said:

I like that Cain enrolls early, and thus should be more ready to play next year when the depth chart could potentially be Ingram, Young, and the 2019 class. He's also already a pretty good pass protector and receiver. As far as ceiling goes, he looks like your run of the mill chain moving SEC back, like an Alfred Blue, Kenny Irons, Stevan Ridley, etc. There's value in that in the Big XII where defenders tend to ole ball carries after a few hard collisions, but I don't think he's a rare prospect by any means. 

got it. thx.

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Yeah, these are all problems. The bigger problem for me is that Katy players are usually maxed out by the time they hit college. They've been in an amazing weight program and an amazing conditioning program from youth sports forward. They're hitting their ceilings by the time they're walking onto campus. Is that 100% true? Absolutely not. Is it more true than pretty much any other program in the entire country? Yes.

Show me the next Katy guy that has raw talent to mine and mold into a raging college talent with high draft pick potential and I'll tell you he's the first. You'll then argue with me about Rodney Anderson or Moro Ojomo or some other guy I forgot, but you get the point. 

Ugh. That makes sense. 

19 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Cain's film looks a lot like Malcolm Brown's film did.  Brown was a good college back who almost always got you positive yards.

Glass's film, to me, looks like a kid who is fast and can run through wide open holes.  But when he gets hit, he goes down.  Frankly, I have some of the same concerns about Derrian Brown, just because there's so little film of him making something out of nothing at the line of scrimmage.

1 minute ago, Katfid54 said:

Cain's film looks a lot like Malcolm Brown's film did.  Brown was a good college back who almost always got you positive yards.

Glass's film, to me, looks like a kid who is fast and can run through wide open holes.  But when he gets hit, he goes down.  Frankly, I have some of the same concerns about Derrian Brown, just because there's so little film of him making something out of nothing at the line of scrimmage.

i agree with that assessment. Brown behind a decent line would have been effective in college.

I watched Porter and Glass against LT in the playoffs. Glass is a much better back than Porter but I still have the same concerns voiced above. He was amazing as a freshman, really great as a soph, injured as a junior and effective as a senior. the best thing for him would be to redshirt and let his body heal. if he could regain his freshman/sophomore form, he could be electric. but i have my doubts. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The allure of Cain is that he's a good all-around running back and system fit who is enrolling early, which means he should be able to contribute immediately as an RB2 next season and would establish a decent floor at RB should something bad happen to Ingram.

Using a scholarship on Glass would not be optimal for 2020-2022, but if he can give us 70-80% of what Cain offers in 2019, it's not the worst thing in the world.

We already have that guy in Danny Young, although I would cap it at 60%. If I had to choose between Glass and a 2020 Scholarship, then I would take the scholarship.  

3 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Our pets heads are falling off?

Your RB coach has to be an elite recruiter. He delivered Ingram and Watson last year so he gets an A for 2018. For that he gets the benefit of the doubt until February. 

Come On Man.....

Ingram + Watson 2018 recruiting grade = B

13 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

The thing I like better about Derrian Brown is that he has nice vision when it comes to getting north and south and an effective jump cut in the hole that he showed more than once. Once he gets by that first guy he is 10+ yards downfield with his speed before anyone else gets a clean shot at him. 

Edited by Vertigo

27 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Would rather take our chances in the free agent, err I mean the grad transfer market than do this. Ingram, Young, Grad Transfer and Brown for next year plus anything you get from the other guys is house money.