Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

IT recruiting notes

Texas hosted a handful of prospects this weekend, along with six commits taking their OVs. Here’s a few tidbits until tomorrow’s Scoop. 

— Butler grad transfer Tommy Kennedy just boarded a flight back to Indy. He spoke very highly of the visit and the Texas staff, players. He’ll announce on Dec. 19th. I’ll have quotes in the Scoop. 

— Fullerton College LB Caleb Johnson says he’s down to four schools - Texas, Oregon, Arkansas, and Colorado. Coach Herman will visit him on Monday or Tuesday before he announces on Thursday. I’ll have quotes in the Scoop. 

— Odessa Permian ATH, Texas pledge Peyton Powell was reported taking an OV to Baylor this weekend after telling me on Saturday morning he wasn’t. Beck and Mehringer spoke to him on Friday. I reported last week he’d strongly consider signing during NSD2, and now we know why. Baylor and Texas Tech are pushing hard. 

— Grossmont College OL Jay Williams had an absolute blast this weekend and Texas put themselves in a great position here. He’ll OV to Florida State next weekend, UT’s top competition here. 

— Texas is trying to get Myron Cunningham on campus next weekend for an OV. He was at Oklahoma three weeks ago, and Arkansas this weekend. This isn’t trending well. 

More from @Eric Nahlin and myself in the AM.

11 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT recruiting notes

Reveal hidden contents

Texas hosted a handful of prospects this weekend, along with six commits taking their OVs. Here’s a few tidbits until tomorrow’s Scoop. 

— Butler grad transfer Tommy Kennedy just boarded a flight back to Indy. He spoke very highly of the visit and the Texas staff, players. He’ll announce on Dec. 19th. I’ll have quotes in the Scoop. 

— Fullerton College LB Caleb Johnson says he’s down to four schools - Texas, Oregon, Arkansas, and Colorado. Coach Herman will visit him on Monday or Tuesday before he announces on Thursday. I’ll have quotes in the Scoop. 

— Odessa Permian ATH, Texas pledge Peyton Powell was reported taking an OV to Baylor this weekend after telling me on Saturday morning he wasn’t. Beck and Mehringer spoke to him on Friday. I reported last week he’d strongly consider signing during NSD2, and now we know why. Baylor and Texas Tech are pushing hard. 

— Grossmont College OL Jay Williams had an absolute blast this weekend and Texas put themselves in a great position here. He’ll OV to Florida State next weekend, UT’s top competition here. 

— Texas is trying to get Myron Cunningham on campus next weekend for an OV. He was at Oklahoma three weeks ago, and Arkansas this weekend. This isn’t trending well. 

More from @Eric Nahlin and myself in the AM.

Haven't seen anything about Kennedy or Williams being offered yet.

47 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

247 Response on Powell.......

"Odessa Permian athlete Peyton Powell did make a visit to Baylor this weekend. I reported yesterday that the Texas staff had positive conversations with Powell, so it doesn’t appear that there was complete honesty when it came to him making his way to Waco. It wouldn’t be surprising to see him visit Texas Tech as well. Powell has always been one of the weirder recruitments of the cycle, and we feel like Texas is going to have to fight to keep him. Texas has talked to him about potentially enrolling early and starting off at quarterback, but I’ve heard Baylor and more so Tech are also telling him he can be a quarterback and get on the field early."

IT on Powell......

— Odessa Permian ATH, Texas pledge Peyton Powell was reported taking an OV to Baylor this weekend after telling me on Saturday morning he wasn’t. Beck and Mehringer spoke to him on Friday. I reported last week he’d strongly consider signing during NSD2, and now we know why. Baylor and Texas Tech are pushing hard. --

My thoughts:  Powell may just be a guy who committed too soon and really wants an easier path to immediate playing time and a legitimate shot to play QB.

Edited by LTtxfan

6 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Member when Powell was supposedly Greg Schiano’s man crush as an elite DB prospect, and it was supposedly a Texas/OU/Ohio State battle for his commitment?  I member.  And with that in mind, how the fuck is someone who had those options going to be deciding between Baylor and Tech?

Won't be surprised to see Bilbo Faggins or even Fatterson's folks get involved in Powell recruitment now that he's still listening to Tech and Baylor..... 

Edited by LTtxfan

13 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Member when Powell was supposedly Greg Schiano’s man crush as an elite DB prospect, and it was supposedly a Texas/OU/Ohio State battle for his commitment?  I member.  And with that in mind, how the fuck is someone who had those options going to be deciding between Baylor and Tech?

The same way Marshall Faulk ended up at San Diego State? Sounds like he wants to play a different position than the big boys want to recruit him to play.

12 hours ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

I agree. What I found especially troubling was his size as an 8th grader. He looked every part of 14 years old from what I had seen.

I know highlight films are obviously intended to focus on postive plays but the first thing that I do when I’m watching a defensive lineman is to see whether or not he has a high motor. And I just didn’t see that in the highlights that I watched of Leal. But I certainly saw that in the Warren kid and the Sweat kid. 

Edited by Sandlot

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Seems obvious Somebody, maybe himself is telling him he can be the next Baker Mayfield. He just needs to stick.to his guns and all his dreams will come true at QB

Just now, satyanash said:

I don't get why Powell is so enamoured with Tech. We're offering him a chance to try out at QB, same as they are. And they have Duffy and Bowman ahead of him at QB, so it's not like he's free to seize the QB spot there either.

We likely have more QB talent lined up, don’t you think?

The path to QB playing time at Tech is no easier at TT than UT.  They've got Cater, Duffy, true freshman Bowman, and will have Maverick McIvor as well.  No doubt UT has good WRs but most any year TT's is every bit their match.  TT has even put more in the NFL as late.

I wouldn't look for Powell to visit TT .  He's already done so at least 3 times that I recall, a couple of times after his UT commitment.  TT has gotten six commitments in the last 2 or 3 days, though it's not entirely clear who all of them are, though one is widely believed to be Powell's hs teammate.  My guess is the majority are guys who decommitted upon KK's departure but who knows for sure?

Edited by pigmeat markham

9 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I fully realize TT's place in college football's recruiting pecking order, but when it comes WRs they're fairly competitive.  Since the 2015 class, they've signed wideouts with offers from A&M, Wisconsin,  Ohio State, OU, LSU, UT, UCLA and some others that do a pretty good job recruiting.

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/12/open-post-monday-december-10th/

Notebook | Replacing Calvin Anderson, New High School Offer & Trey Sanders
– Super K

***Last week, Butler grad transfer left tackle, Tommy Kennedy announced that he will take an official visit to Texas this past weekend.

As you can see, he will follow that trip up with a visit to Oklahoma and Miami. Both Oklahoma and Miami have extended offers. To my knowledge, Texas has not yet offered but I’d imagine they are going the same route as they are with JUCO OL, Jay Williams – Herman would like to see them in person before making the offer.

It’s very Sabanesque and I personally like it.

I have to say that covering recruiting for both Texas and Oklahoma the past few years, I always noticed under coach Strong it seemed like there was minimal attempt at trying to bring in guys who could come in and compete for spots right away or at least provide depth. Oklahoma was always fishing around for guys who could come in and push their high school prospects. It’s refreshing to see Herb Hand and the Longhorns finally doing this!

Kennedy left his visit without receiving an offer, however, that could still come in the coming day.

***I asked around a bit about recent 2019 Texas OT offer, Dawand Jones (Indianapolis, IN). Jones is a massive human being. JY had the following to say on Jones…

Love his size. Very much a project for Herb Hand to work on. He needs some time develop his hands and upper body strength. Needs to work to stay on his feet more as he falls more than I’d like to see. He does have some nasty in him.

Jones does hold offers from the likes of Michigan, Ohio State and USC. However, it sounds like there are some guys on those boards who are higher than him. I’m told that Jones has so far only take one official football visit which was to USC. But, he’s a basketball player as well and has taken two basketball official visits – Ball State and Kent State. However, source tells me that Jones will likely play football in college.

I’m told Jones is high on Michigan but a source tells me that they are waiting on another prospect before they push for Jones.

I’m working to find out if or when Jones may make it down to Texas for an OV. I have heard rumors that he grew up a Texas fan but am still working to connect directly with Jones.

***As Will Baizer, mentioned earlier this week, it does seem that the departure of Alabama OC, Mike Locksley may be helping Texas with 5-star running back, Trey Sanders (IMG Academy).

I spoke with a source close to Trey and was told the current pecking order is…

“Alabama, Texas a close second and then Florida”.

***As we’ve noted, Texas hosted JUCO OL, Jay Williams this weekend. Again, Williams told us that Texas has let him know that Herman would like to see him before they extend an offer.

Williams took an official visit to Indiana earlier this week. This Texas OV will mark his second official visit.

Williams tells me he won’t have time to squeeze all five visits in but plans to take at least one more official visit after this Texas visit. That visit will be to Florida State.

However, if Texas offers and pushes, I won’t be surprised to see Williams shut things down.

While he did not receive an offer this weekend, he is someone that Texas will continue to monitor going forward.

JY’s thoughts on Jay Williams…

Nice frame. 6’6 300 lbs. Sits too wide in his stance. Makes me question his hip flexibility and whether he is a natural knee bender. Great length. I’d like to him be more powerful than he appears to be at this point. I do like how he finishes and he plays very hard. Needs to develop upper body strength and a punch. I’d like to see him work on his pad level. Just raw at this point. Herb Hand is a great coach and it could be a project with high upside.

Texas Commit Adimora Cancels ASU Visit
– CJ Vogel

Good news. Safety commit Chris Adimora has called off his official visit to Arizona State that was scheduled for this weekend.

The Arizona State staff had been flirting with Adimora for quite some time now and felt like they had the opportunity to flip him if they were able to get him on campus. With Adimora calling it off, that essentially negates any chance the Sun Devils would have at nabbing the hard hitting safety.

An ASU source stated Texas likely threatened his standing in the class, also, ‘It was good on their part cuz if he came to us, we were gonna turn him.’

This is obviously a big win for the Texas staff to lock Adimora in. His film is a fun watch if you haven’t seen it already.

For now, Adimora is scheduled to visit Austin next weekend and sign with Texas on December 19 during the early signing period.

Myron Warren | Film Review & Update
– Andrew King

One of the most intriguing recruits in Texas’ 2019 class is Many (LA) defensive end Myron Warren. At 6’4 235, it’s clear Warren can and will add a good amount of weight to his frame in a college strength and conditioning program. I hit up our JY to break down his senior film and talk about what he thinks of Warren as a player.

FROM JY: “Love his film. Has great length and skillets for hands. A natural pass rusher who is a very slippery defender. Understands he needs to get to the ball carrier and doesn’t waste time on the blocker. He has natural hip and ankle bend to run the hoop around blockers in the pass rush. Still needs to add a bit of weight but could be a 270-pound monster.”

RECRUITING UPDATE: Texas did a great job of getting Warren on campus for an unofficial visit, and they blew him away and he committed following the visit. Defensive line coach Oscar Giles was Many this week to visit Warren. He will officially visit Texas this weekend as Tom Herman and company will have a big-time group of recruits in Austin.

Right now Warren described his commitment status as “strongly committed” but isn’t a lock to sign in December. He told me he’s leaning towards signing in February. LSU has been known as a threat and has been in contact with Warren. He told me he expects some LSU coaches to visit him this week. I don’t think an offer comes right now, but the Tigers staff wants him to wait until February to sign in case they decide to offer down the line. Tennessee is another school that is still recruiting him hard and he could take an official there.

I feel confident that Texas is going to do their best to persuade Warren to sign in December over the weekend. They did the same with Tyler Owens this week. If Warren doesn’t sign in December, it won’t be the end of the world as he loves Texas. Part of this could be a case of a recruit wanting to enjoy some free trips over the country that he hasn’t been able to take yet. But anytime LSU is involved with a Louisiana recruit, there is always some cause for concern.

Peyton Powell Update
– Andrew King

*** There has been some talk regarding Odessa Permian (TX) athlete Peyton Powell, who is committed to Texas.

*** We can confirm he took a visit to Baylor over the weekend. Powell is a guy who most see as a wide receiver or defensive back in college but has played quarterback in high school.

*** He wants to play quarterback in college, and Texas has told him they’d give him a shot at quarterback and that’s a big reason why he picked Texas.

*** Baylor is telling him he can play quarterback and stay at that position if he wants. Texas Tech is another school telling him that, and there’s a chance he takes a trip to Lubbock this weekend.

*** Another thing to note is that Powell’s father played football at Baylor.

*** We’ll keep you updated as things unfold. Expect the Texas staff to visit him this weekend.