Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

They're probably selling him on being the next Saquon Barkley.

"They told me I could be the next Saquon Barkley, so I'm sorry but I have to go there."

"That's fine. Go be a follower. But we think you could come here, and we tell a recruit four years from now they can be the next Noah Cain, who just took Saquon Barkley's job his rookie year he's so good."

There's your pitch, Tom. Get on it. 

On 12/8/2018 at 1:37 PM, HenryJames said:

He didn’t skip leg day to be there.

Cain to PSU just doesn't seem like it's legit. Yeah, I don't know shit about kids thinking, but I highly doubt Cain is stupid enough to believe he'll be the next Barkley, who's a generational talent. Mom is in. DFW, and Cain sees an open depth chart. We literally only have Ingram. Young and Carter both suck and probably won't be here next season. What's not to love about our depth chart con r in and be the guy. If not, Zach Evans, who's far and away better will get the rock from day 1. Cain isn't even in the same stratosphere as Evans. I need a drink. 

12 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

There’s a lot that can happen in 8 days but Drayton, what the fuck are you doing? 

He's got a hell of a resume, but at some point we need to consider the fact that maybe he's not a very good recruiter.  Even last year, his one target ended up taking an OV to aggy the weekend before signing day.

Wiltfong comments about Cain CB:

Spoiler

Logged a 247Sports Crystal Ball forecast in favor of Penn State for Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy Top247 running back Noah Cain after talking to several sources with knowledge of the recruitment.

Confidence is high around Happy Valley.

It seems all other suitors believe they're battling the Nittany Lions.

Other programs in the mix for Cain include Auburn, Georgia and Texas. The industry-generated 247Sports Composite ranks the 5-foot-10, 212-pound Cain as the nation's No. 7 running back and No. 104 prospect overall.

Cain took his official to Penn State in November for the win over Wisconsin and also visited in the spring. His parents attended Lasch Bash on a separate occasion. Running backs coach JaJuan Seider has led the charge for the Nittany Lions on this one and James Franklin was in-home with the Cain camp late last week.

Cain will announce his college decision on Dec. 19 and enroll early at the school of his choosing.

Just gotta keep winning. We aren’t there yet. Even though we are a 180 from last year. We still haven’t done anything to draw the attention of elite talent.  Let Ingram go off for 1200 and show we can run the football.  Also need better recruiters. But first things first. Pound UGa ass

4 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

He's got a hell of a resume, but at some point we need to consider the fact that maybe he's not a very good recruiter.  Even last year, his one target ended up taking an OV to aggy the weekend before signing day.

he has shortcomings, but putting him on blast for a guy taking an OV somewhere is not a good reason.

7 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

but I highly doubt Cain is stupid enough to believe he'll be the next Barkley

You clearly don't understand the mentality of top athletes...

As for Drayton, I don't give two fucks who he recruits so long as whomever he plays performs well. Ingram should be healthier next season with a year of s&c, then pitch you can pitch Evans.

Edited by pacman

7 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

but I highly doubt Cain is stupid enough to believe he'll be the next Barkley, who's a generational talent

Of course he's stupid enough. That's one thing that helps some great players be great players: telling themselves they can be as great as they want. If not, why try?

Plus, maybe we're taking Mach's quote of "the next barkley" too literal. It basically means -and make no doubt they've told him this- that "we know how to handle, develop and scheme running backs like you."

Edited by UncleBuck

1 minute ago, horn_of_the_morning said:

Based on the kids actions we are the last option for him. Drayton has been on him for 2 years. He has had numerous chances to commit and become the lead back in our class.

Based on the kids actions Auburn is the last option for him. Whoever Auburn's RB coach is has been on him for 2 years. He has had numerous chances to commit and become the lead back in Auburn's class.

Hey look at that, that sentence works for every school.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, NoName said:

he has shortcomings, but putting him on blast for a guy taking an OV somewhere is not a good reason.

As a single data point, sure I agree.  But I think it's worth revisiting when you look at his struggles on the trail this year.  

Edited by Chuckie Finster

1 minute ago, vtaenz said:

Did I miss something in the recent news about Cain? It was Texas and Georgia. Now Sanders likes Georgia? This should help us with Cain but now Penn State had a good shot at Cain?

What happened to our chances?

Penn State was always an option. Some people reported it more than others. 

4 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

As a single data point, sure I agree.  But I think it's worth revisiting when you look at his struggles on the trail this year.  

the guy took literally 1 non Texas official visit or non official visit per his 247 profile. only took 1 in home visit that wasn't Texas. 

had offers from LSU, USC, FSU, Georgia, Auburn and didn't OV any of those places. 

hate on him for legit things, this isn't one of them. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vtaenz said:

Did I miss something in the recent news about Cain? It was Texas and Georgia. Now Sanders likes Georgia? This should help us with Cain but now Penn State had a good shot at Cain?

What happened to our chances?

he was Fong'd to Penn St recently (I posted his comment upthread somewhere)

2 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Didn't CTJ say he was 4th RB on our board like a week ago? I'm gonna hold off til signing day to go full-blown doom and gloom on our RB class

That sounds comforting until you realize the three ahead of him are probably Sanders (Bama-bound, in all likelihood), DJ Williams (don't know where he's going, but it's not Texas), and the JUCO (OU lean).

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

That sounds comforting until you realize the three ahead of him are probably Sanders (Bama-bound, in all likelihood), DJ Williams (don't know where he's going, but it's not Texas), and the JUCO (OU lean).

or maybe the coaches feel better about hitting on one of those top 3 than everyone else realizes.

36 minutes ago, pacman said:

You clearly don't understand the mentality of top athletes...

As for Drayton, I don't give two fucks who he recruits so long as whomever he plays performs well. Ingram should be healthier next season with a year of s&c, then pitch you can pitch Evans.

This is true. But Cain going all the way to Pennsylvania? I don't know the kid, but he has better options. We might as well sell him on being the next Jamaal Charles or Cedric Benson of that's the case. 

33 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Of course he's stupid enough. That's one thing that helps some great players be great players: telling themselves they can be as great as they want. If not, why try?

Plus, maybe we're taking Mach's quote of "the next barkley" too literal. It basically means -and make no doubt they've told him this- that "we know how to handle, develop and scheme running backs like you."

I think they're just trying, but failing to build suspense before dig ING day, per usual. I don't believe it. I think he's a horn, unless of course Sanders is, and the I'll switch tactics and believe that because I'm bipolar.

Just now, Chuckie Finster said:

If there's one thing this board should have learned, it's that this staff's "feelings" on prospects shouldn't really be taken for much.

The other thing we’ve learned is that we and the $9.95ers really have no clue what the staff is actually thinking, including who they are pursuing and how they’re pursuing them.  

1 minute ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Just now, Spider2YBanana said:

I think they're just trying, but failing to build suspense before dig ING day, per usual. I don't believe it. I think he's a horn, unless of course Sanders is, and the I'll switch tactics and believe that because I'm bipolar.

I think the staff is really all in on Glass, so Sanders and Cain have been told to look elsewhere. 

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Like 5

17 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

247 Response on Powell.......

"Odessa Permian athlete Peyton Powell did make a visit to Baylor this weekend. I reported yesterday that the Texas staff had positive conversations with Powell, so it doesn’t appear that there was complete honesty when it came to him making his way to Waco. It wouldn’t be surprising to see him visit Texas Tech as well. Powell has always been one of the weirder recruitments of the cycle, and we feel like Texas is going to have to fight to keep him. Texas has talked to him about potentially enrolling early and starting off at quarterback, but I’ve heard Baylor and more so Tech are also telling him he can be a quarterback and get on the field early."

17 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

IT on Powell......

— Odessa Permian ATH, Texas pledge Peyton Powell was reported taking an OV to Baylor this weekend after telling me on Saturday morning he wasn’t. Beck and Mehringer spoke to him on Friday. I reported last week he’d strongly consider signing during NSD2, and now we know why. Baylor and Texas Tech are pushing hard. --

My thoughts:  Powell may just be a guy who committed too soon and really wants an easier path to immediate playing time and a legitimate shot to play QB.

Peyton Powell Update
– Andrew King

*** There has been some talk regarding Odessa Permian (TX) athlete Peyton Powell, who is committed to Texas.

*** We can confirm he took a visit to Baylor over the weekend. Powell is a guy who most see as a wide receiver or defensive back in college but has played quarterback in high school.

*** He wants to play quarterback in college, and Texas has told him they’d give him a shot at quarterback and that’s a big reason why he picked Texas.

*** Baylor is telling him he can play quarterback and stay at that position if he wants. Texas Tech is another school telling him that, and there’s a chance he takes a trip to Lubbock this weekend.

*** Another thing to note is that Powell’s father played football at Baylor.

*** We’ll keep you updated as things unfold. Expect the Texas staff to visit him this weekend.

4 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

This is true. But Cain going all the way to Pennsylvania? I don't know the kid, but he has better options. We might as well sell him on being the next Jamaal Charles or Cedric Benson of that's the case. 

He flat out said why in July....

“You want a o-line that fits your style of running,” Cain said. “I think a pro-style linemen is my best fit instead of no-huddle type. That’s why schools like Georgia, LSU and Penn State stay in the mix so much. They run a pro-style type.”

Its also the reason Texas was going to be a harder sell on him.

4 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

He went all the way to Florida (1100 miles) to go to high school.  Whats a couple of hundred more miles for college?

You guys go from 0 to Plaid in a breathtaking manner. Wiltfong's playing a hunch and he may well be right, but no one has had a clear read on Cain at any point during his recruitment. The whiplash regarding Cain on this thread has been one of the only constants.

That considered, if ESD were today, I'd bet on Williams and Sanders to Bama, JUCO to OU, and Cain to not Texas. Not sure what that means about who Texas signs. I do think that they still believe they're getting one or more of the guys I just named, but like I've said before, they're more confident in closing out this class, TB and all other spots, than anyone else watching the 2019 cycle finish.

I think if we want good RBs to come to Texas we should probably start running the football effectively. Because right now we suck big dicks at running the football. In my experience, sucking dicks at the thing a recruit is being recruited to do is a recruiting disadvantage. 

10 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Those two guys that played here a decade and two staffs ago? Yeah, that's the ticket.

Edited by irishtexan
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I think if we want good RBs to come to Texas we should probably start running the football effectively. Because right now we suck big dicks at running the football. In my experience, sucking dicks at the thing a recruit is being recruited to do is a recruiting disadvantage. 

I mean, we're 4th in the conference (though bottom-half at yds/att): http://www.espn.com/college-football/conferences/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing/year/2018/id/4