Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

What kind of world do we live in where we can't depend on a bunch of 17 year old kids to do exactly what we thought they were going to do. It's almost as if they change their minds every other day. But seriously, Herman has shown the ability to have back plans for his back plans and he never concedes a recruitment.  I'll give him the benefit of the the doubt and wait to see how this all changes before SD1.  Patience grasshopper.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, South Austin said:

When James died, a part of me died.  Until he came back as Cleo McDowell.

Look… me and the McDonald’s people got this little misunderstanding. See, they’re McDonald’s. I’m McDowell’s. They got the Golden Arches, mine is the Golden Arcs. You see, they got the Big Mac, I got the Big Mick. We both got two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles and onions, but they use a sesame seed bun. My buns have no seeds.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Bill Kurelic: Buckeyes’ set bar high, Wilson details OSU visit, remaining plan

Austin (Texas) Lake Travis wide receiver Garrett Wilson cut his long list of scholarship offers down to eight schools in early March, Ohio State, Texas, Oklahoma State, TCU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Nebraska. Then at the end of March, Wilson narrowed his choices down to Ohio State and Texas and set official visits to those two school’s spring games, Ohio State this weekend and Texas the weekend of April 21.

The first visit is now in the books as Wilson just finished his Ohio State official visit, a visit he made with his father Kenny and mother Candice. “It was awesome,” Wilson began when asked about the official visit. “I spent a lot of time with the coaches and Matthew Baldwin and some other players.” Baldwin is a freshman early enroll OSU quarterback who along with Wilson led Lake Travis to the Texas 6A state championship game last season.

Wilson also made an unofficial visit to Ohio State in late March. “I thought nothing could top the first visit, but this one did,” Wilson said. “Everyone was great. The (spring) game was fun to watch. It was all great.” The Ohio State coaches let Wilson know what they have in mind for him if he were to become a Buckeye. “They see me as a versatile guy,” Wilson said. “They see me like a Michael Thomas. And they said I could line up outside or inside.”

And Wilson saw Thomas on the visit as the former Ohio State wide receiver returned for the Buckeyes’ spring game. “Seeing him was cool,” Wilson said. Wilson lived in Dublin, Ohio for approximately six years until he was entering the 6th grade. “I grew up here,” Wilson said when asked about a possible return to central-Ohio. “My friends are here. It’s definitely a place I feel home at. My parents are good with it if I decided to come back here, they just want what’s best for me.”

The Buckeyes have definitely put themselves in a good spot for Wilson. But there is still the official visit to Texas to go. “I’ll make the Texas visit and then I’ll make my decision within seven days,” Wilson said. “It’s just those two schools.” The 6-foot-0 and 185-pound Wilson is a 4-star prospect in the 247Sports Composite. He is the country’s No. 46 overall prospect, the No. 6 wide receiver, and the No. 7 prospect in Texas.

Kurelic: "It will be up to Texas to change things in my opinion - I like where the Buckeyes currently stand."

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

TFB still thinks Texas leads for NaNa.

They said this about Leal:

[Leal's] mother did say that they will not be at next weekend’s Texas Spring Game. But I do believe they will OV at a later time.

jfc it’s over.  time to get rid of herman and bring in someone who can close with these recruits. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Bill Kurelic: Buckeyes’ set bar high, Wilson details OSU visit, remaining plan

Reveal hidden contents

Austin (Texas) Lake Travis wide receiver Garrett Wilson cut his long list of scholarship offers down to eight schools in early March, Ohio State, Texas, Oklahoma State, TCU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Nebraska. Then at the end of March, Wilson narrowed his choices down to Ohio State and Texas and set official visits to those two school’s spring games, Ohio State this weekend and Texas the weekend of April 21.

The first visit is now in the books as Wilson just finished his Ohio State official visit, a visit he made with his father Kenny and mother Candice. “It was awesome,” Wilson began when asked about the official visit. “I spent a lot of time with the coaches and Matthew Baldwin and some other players.” Baldwin is a freshman early enroll OSU quarterback who along with Wilson led Lake Travis to the Texas 6A state championship game last season.

Wilson also made an unofficial visit to Ohio State in late March. “I thought nothing could top the first visit, but this one did,” Wilson said. “Everyone was great. The (spring) game was fun to watch. It was all great.” The Ohio State coaches let Wilson know what they have in mind for him if he were to become a Buckeye. “They see me as a versatile guy,” Wilson said. “They see me like a Michael Thomas. And they said I could line up outside or inside.”

And Wilson saw Thomas on the visit as the former Ohio State wide receiver returned for the Buckeyes’ spring game. “Seeing him was cool,” Wilson said. Wilson lived in Dublin, Ohio for approximately six years until he was entering the 6th grade. “I grew up here,” Wilson said when asked about a possible return to central-Ohio. “My friends are here. It’s definitely a place I feel home at. My parents are good with it if I decided to come back here, they just want what’s best for me.”

The Buckeyes have definitely put themselves in a good spot for Wilson. But there is still the official visit to Texas to go. “I’ll make the Texas visit and then I’ll make my decision within seven days,” Wilson said. “It’s just those two schools.” The 6-foot-0 and 185-pound Wilson is a 4-star prospect in the 247Sports Composite. He is the country’s No. 46 overall prospect, the No. 6 wide receiver, and the No. 7 prospect in Texas.

Kurelic: "It will be up to Texas to change things in my opinion - I like where the Buckeyes currently stand."

We need 90k at the spring game and 10+ tds from our qbs. Offer free Chipotle and get Orlando to stay vanilla. 

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

TFB still thinks Texas leads for NaNa.

They said this about Leal:

I'm fine with him taking an OV on a weekend that doesn't have much going on.  

Still wouldn't be shocking if he came to the spring game seeing as he's already showed at a practice that no one knew about until he was spotted.

The news about Wilkins is unfortunate, but not shocking.  Gooner is hard to pry commits away from, but aggy is basically re-enacting Pickett's Charge.  Herman is executing the "don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes" stratagem.  We're going to be fine.  Keep your powder dry, folks.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

Wasn't Anthony Cook a heavy OSU lean too?

Yeah, but none of these heavy leans last year were actual verbal commits like Wilson and Leal will likely be. Need them to hold off on committing until the season begins and we hopefully win some games. 

10 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Not coming to the spring game... the longer he puts off his visit, the less likely it happens. Just like Demani Richardson.

Except in this case, there is a strong relationship already in place. It's also much easier to make it to Austin from San Antonio than the Dallas area.

Gabe Brooks: Top performers from Sunday's Under Armour Houston camp

Alpha Dog

The distinction of the camp's top performer came down to a couple of powerful offensive linemen. Manvel (Texas) High School three-star Layden Robinson was consistently dominant during 1-on-1's and solidified himself at an elite camp for the second time in the past two months and as one of the top sleepers in the state of Texas for the 2019 class. Robinson not only showed impressive technique in his ability to stone interior defenders at the point of attack, but a fiery competitive streak that at times resulted in him finishing blocks as if in an actual game, much to the chagrin of some of the opposing players. The industry-generated 247Sports Composite does not yet have a ranking for Robinson, but 247Sports ranks him as a strong three-star prospect, the No. 8 center nationally in the 2019 class, and the No. 89 overall prospect regardless of position in the state of Texas.

Along with Robinson, Baton Rouge (La.) Southern Lab 2019 offensive guard and 247Sports Composite five-star Kardell Thomas, an LSU commit, was right there with Robinson when it came to standing up opposing interior rushers during some particularly heated 1-on-1 reps against quality defensive line competition. As usual, Thomas showed impressive strength and power at the point of attack, plus the ability to consistently anchor and stonewall defenders, whether they were smaller and quicker, or of the big-and-broad variety more akin to Thomas himself. Already an Under Armour All-American selection, Thomas is without a doubt one of the top overall prospects in the state of Louisiana. The 247Sports Composite reflects that as he is ranked No. 3 overall in the state and the nation's No. 1 guard for the 2019 recruiting cycle.

Offensive Standouts

-- Thomas Gordon, a 2019 three-star tight end from Strake Jesuit in Houston, was terrific in 1-on-1's matched up against safeties and linebackers. Not only did the Northwestern Wildcats commit show strong hands and a consistent ability to catch the ball away from his body, but he showed surprising athleticism and burst on his cuts and breaks. Gordon turned around his defender to get wide open for easy catches on multiple occasions. The 247Sports Composite ranks the 6-foot-4, 230-pounder as the nation's No. 20 tight end nationally for the 2019 class, as well as the No. 58 overall prospect in the Lone Star State.

-- Andrew Coker, a big-framed 2019 offensive tackle from Taylor High School in Katy, Texas, has gotten in tremendous shape and continues to impress in the elite camp setting. Coker performed well at The Opening Houston in late February and backed up that showing with another strong effort Sunday, repeatedly displaying his improved lateral mobility and pass-blocking acumen. Coker, who picked up a Texas A&M offer over the weekend, is in the 6-foot-7 range and checked in at 304 pounds at Sunday's camp. He's in the best shape of his young career, owns a tremendous wingspan, and continues showing why more Power Five programs are targeting him.

-- Under Armour Houston marked our second time in two months to see 2020 four-star receiver Jacobi Bellazin in an elite camp setting, and he performed very well yet again. The 5-foot-8, 181-pounder, who recently visited UCLA, is one of the top underclassmen in the state of Louisiana and showed some of the skills that give him that distinction. Bellazin is very twitchy in space and makes cuts on a dime. He knows how to find open space and catches the ball consistently. Bellazin shows the type of overall athleticism and playmaking ability that will allow him to move around the formation and contribute in the return game if needed. While the 247Sports Composite does not yet have a ranking for Bellazin, he is an early Top247 prospect at No. 190 overall nationally in the 2020 class.

Defensive Standouts

-- Several underclassmen impressed on the defensive side, including burly, physical interior lineman McKinnley Jackson, who is No. 14 overall in the early 2020 Top247 rankings. Jackson is the top defensive tackle nationally and the No. 1 player in Mississippi in his class. He backed up those lofty rankings with a strong performance Sunday, showing impressive burst relative to his 6-foot-2, 300-plus-pound build, and the power and punch you would expect from such a prospect. Jackson, who decommitted earlier this semester from LSU, unofficially visited the Tigers on Saturday and owns offers from several SEC programs.

-- Numerous top-tier cover men competed at Sunday's camp, but 2019 standout and 247Sports Composite four-star Marcus Banks from Dekaney High School in the Houston area was particulary impressive. He owns a terrific frame with a wiry strong build and large wingspan. Banks made one of the best individual coverage plays of the day when he recovered downfield to make an off-balance breakup of a pass -- thanks in part to his outstanding reach -- intended for an underclassman four-star receiver along the deep sideline. The 247Sports Composite ranks Banks as the nation's No. 33 cornerback, as well as the No. 45 overall prospect regardless of position in the Lone Star State for the 2019 cycle.

-- A natural pass-rusher with a ton of frame potential, Pearland (Texas) Shadow Creek 2020 four-star Alec Bryant showed off his ability to beat bigger, slower offensive tackles around the edge during 1-on-1 reps. Bryant's listed size of 6-foot-2, 228 pounds is nothing to sneeze at, but on the hoof he looks even taller and longer than that. Bryant has shown an encouraging ability to use his hands to get separation, and his natural athleticism off the edge is a hand full as it is. Considered one of the top underclassmen pass-rushers in Texas, Bryant is a top 100 prospect in the early 2020 Top247, ranking No. 73 overall nationally. TCU recently offered and many more schools will target Bryant in the coming months.

-- Making the trip down from St. John's College High School in Washington, D.C., Luke Hill showed during 1-on-1's and 3-on-3's why he's an early four-star prospect per 247Sports for the 2020 recruiting class. Hill recorded multiple pass breakups during position work, repeatedly showing impressive anticipatory skills and good athleticism as he broke quickly and closed fast. He was competitive and businesslike in his demeanor. The 6-foot, 170-pounder is approaching double-digit Power Five conference offers, already owning offers from schools in the ACC, Big Ten, and SEC.

Noteworthy

-- Austin (Texas) Bowie 2019 four-star receiver Elijah Higgins earned an invitation to the Under Armour All-American Game. The 247Sports Composite ranks the 6-foot-3, 215-pound Higgins as the nation's No. 44 receiver in his class, as well as the No. 38 overall prospect in the state of Texas.

-- Three 2020 players who attended Sunday's camp earned Future 50 invitations: running back Zachary Evans, aforementioned defensive tackle McKinnley Jackson, and cornerback Dwight McGlothern. Evans is a 247Sports five-star prospect and No. 5 overall in the 2020 Top247. McGlothern is a 247Sports four-star and No. 32 nationally in the Top247.

Edited by satyanash

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Leal is the only big change in status quo.

Wilson has been trending Ohio State for a while now.

NaNa is coming to Texas.

Wilkins was always going to be a tough pull.

I like the initiative the Texas staff showed with Wilkins. Southern Arkansas is an area that's pretty open to going out of state. LSU has done quite well there for years. 

Take care of our business on the field and none of the above recruitments is over. 

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I like the initiative the Texas staff showed with Wilkins. Southern Arkansas is an area that's pretty open to going out of state. LSU has done quite well there for years. 

Take care of our business on the field and none of the above recruitments is over. 

Exactly...if we under perform then we have no one to blame but ourselves. Even then I think we'll still pull in a quality class 

1 minute ago, SamTex said:

I wish I could actually know how much recruiting has aged me

I was just thinking the same thing. I check this thread 2-3 times a day and I wish I didn't. TFB says Leal isn't committing to aggy then someone posts that 24/7 says Leal is in fact committing to aggy. 

This will happen with a lot of the recruits. I know it will. And it drives me crazy.

Yet I can't stop. I have a problem.

14 minutes ago, BurntOrangeCrush said:

I was just thinking the same thing. I check this thread 10-15 times a day and I wish I didn't. TFB says Leal isn't committing to aggy then someone posts that 24/7 says Leal is in fact committing to aggy. 

This will happen with a lot of the recruits. I know it will. And it drives me crazy.

Yet I can't stop. I have a problem.

Fify