Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Haha. I like Wiley's size and athleticism. It's hard to find 6'6'' guys that can move like that. I do think he's unnecessarily stringing this out though.

Because he's waiting on that fabled TCU offer, obviously /satya

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, cafe society said:

Smith, Adimora and Wiley.  I am pretty sure that is 3 SHs.  Cain soon to follow, I bet.

We're at two, man. I hate myself for tracking this shit but I'm following recruiting in May, so I'm in too deep already (much like I was in your mom last night):

February 5th – Jordan Whittington
February 21st – Calvin Anderson
February 28th – T’Vondre Sweat
March 31st – DeGabriel Floyd
April 4th – Kenyatta Watson
April 21st – Tre Watson
May 7th – Brayden Liebrock
May 8th – ???
May 21st – ???

Courtesy of TFB. And Cain is a late-cycle decision, in all likelihood.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Is Cain an early enrollee?

If not, I could see him committing at his all star game. 

I believe he is an ee and there was at least one guy last year who signed and then announced at all-star game i.e. bonitto. Fuck you chip 

Edited by utfan87

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

In an interview with Blair Angulo, Faatui cited breaking down film with film with Giles as one of the reasons Texas made his top 5. 

So Giles still sucks or nah?

He "sucks" right up until SD2 when we will pull a great late dline class but the other coaches/Carrington will be credited with saving his ass.  The better question is if that happens two years in a row at what point do we not worry about his recruiting and understand that Herman has a plan to compensate for that weakness.  

31 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Is Cain an early enrollee?

If not, I could see him committing at his all star game. 

Guys who've mentioned planning on enroll early

Roschon Johnson

Jordan Whittington

De'Gabriel Floyd

DeMarvin Leal

Jared Wiley

Noah Cain

Some others like Arje, Wease, Nana, and Garrett Wilson are also planning on enrolling early 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'm on board with a Ty Robinson offer. 

3 of the top 7 in Arizona works for me. It could get even more interesting in Arizona if JWash thinks Pola-Gates is a corner. Bama is recruiting him as a "corner". They could be telling him that, or that's their evaluation. It's hard to tell. 

Arizona is loaded by Arizona standards for the 2020 class - they have 3 5star players alone, Texas only has 2 currently.  Hopefully, we've maximized anytime spent in Arizona by also beginning relationships with the coaches of the 2020 kids. 

I dug around a bit trying to find any coach visits to Arizona to see if we have spent time there but to no avail.  Does anyone know if/when we visited Arizona?

4 minutes ago, CB'sGotMeLit said:

Arizona is loaded by Arizona standards for the 2020 class - they have 3 5star players alone, Texas only has 2 currently.  Hopefully, we've maximized anytime spent in Arizona by also beginning relationships with the coaches of the 2020 kids. 

I dug around a bit trying to find any coach visits to Arizona to see if we have spent time there but to no avail.  Does anyone know if/when we visited Arizona?

Pretty sure a fair few of our coaches have visited Arizona. Beck, Mehringer and Naivar for sure.

Edited by Machinator

2 minutes ago, CB'sGotMeLit said:

I dug around a bit trying to find any coach visits to Arizona see if we have spent time there but to no avail.  Does anyone know if/when we visited Arizona? 

Well, we are possibly looking at Todd Graham who coached ASU 2012–2017. I don't know what high school coaches in Arizona thought of him, though.

12 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Pretty sure a fair few of our coaches have visited Arizona. Beck, Mehringer and Naivar for sure.

Thanks, was looking through Kelee Ringo's twitter and EJ did a piece - I should have taken the time to read the 2020 board first.  Low and behold, Mensa Tom and the gang are way ahead of me.

"UT cornerbacks coach Jason Washington was by to see Ringo last week, and the two are forming a strong relationship. Ringo’s defensive backs coach at Saguaro (AZ) is none other than former Texas cornerback Bryant Westbrook, who has been selling the Longhorns hard. By the way, Beck coached at Saguaro before making the leap to the college ranks, so there are some key ties in this one. Ringo is looking to visit UT this summer. "

It's 2020 info, but pertains to this so I posted.  They are kicking ass and laying the ground work beyond this year in Arizona.

17 minutes ago, CB'sGotMeLit said:

Thanks, was looking through Kelee Ringo's twitter and EJ did a piece - I should have taken the time to read the 2020 board first.  Low and behold, Mensa Tom and the gang are way ahead of me.

"UT cornerbacks coach Jason Washington was by to see Ringo last week, and the two are forming a strong relationship. Ringo’s defensive backs coach at Saguaro (AZ) is none other than former Texas cornerback Bryant Westbrook, who has been selling the Longhorns hard. By the way, Beck coached at Saguaro before making the leap to the college ranks, so there are some key ties in this one. Ringo is looking to visit UT this summer. "

It's 2020 info, but pertains to this so I posted.  They are kicking ass and laying the ground work beyond this year in Arizona.

Yeah pretty much every coach has swung through at least once. They know what's up.

30 minutes ago, CB'sGotMeLit said:

Texas has already offered 2020 5 star corner Kelee Ringo. https://247sports.com/Player/Kelee-Ringo-46047125

I believe Beck coached at his high school and Bryant Westbrook is his position coach.

1 hour ago, CB'sGotMeLit said:

You, sir, are a fucking savant. 

• Like 1

EJ after dark: Can Texas flip Marques Caldwell from Oregon?

— I recently put in a Crystal Ball pick for Texas to flip Oregon cornerback commit Marques Caldwell. With Marcus Banks now leaning towards Texas A&M, Jason Washington and Texas have zeroed in on Caldwell as their primary in-state target at the position. Caldwell told me last month that a Texas offer would shakeup his recruitment. He actually visited for junior day in February, and an offer from the Longhorns was a dream come true. If Texas gets him back on campus, I think they can get him to jump on board.

— Speaking of Banks, I've been told that Washington has reached out to the three-star prospect over the last few days. However, I am also told that there isn't much movement there. Again, I have reason to believe that Texas A&M has taken the lead in that recruitment. I don't expect Texas to receive an official visit this summer. This one is over. Time to move on. 

— Texas is in the process of evaluating several defensive linemen, and one recruit to keep an eye on is Ole Miss commit Jamond Gordon. Texas defensive line coach Oscar Giles recently stopped by to see Gordon and expressed heavy interest. Gordon is from Mississippi and has been committed to the Rebels since last year, but this is still a recruitment worth monitoring.

— Texas is also taking a look at a handful of in-state quarterback options in the 2020 class. And UT offensive coordinator Tim Beck made his way to see fast-rising Carrollton Ranchview product Michael Henderson on Friday. Henderson is an extremely versatile prospect that could also develop into a linebacker at the next level. He holds several P5 offers and would love a scholarship from the Longhorns.

Edited by satyanash

21 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Actually, while I agree with your point, genetically, they’re statistically way more related than we are. 

The Tua brothers' mother is a first cousin of Tuitele's grandfather so they are distant cousins.  Don't get your hopes up for this recruit either -- it is Alabama's to lose with Tua being a former teammate at St. Louis and the two families already meeting and connecting well.  Hawaii ties matter a LOT to many parents from the state considering sending off their son very far away from home and Tua's family lives there already and of course Tua is now a legend in his home state even more than Mariota to some (also attended St. Louis High School as well).  Texas should try really hard to even get one good successful recruit from Hawaii -- it may tend to snowball for future recruits rolling downhill so to speak.  A lot of Hawaii kids would find Austin appealing too in my opinion.