Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

2 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Reuben Fatheree is already 6'8" and 250 .lbs. It's early, but there is talk that he might be the # 1 recruit overall in the 2021 class.

Anyone hve any info on success of 6’8’’ lineman.  15 or 16 year old kid might grow a couple more inches?

Any successful 6’10” lineman around?  Would be quite difficult for him to block a 6’1 or 2 Malcolm Roach.  I liked Tristen Nickelson’s effort and heart but he had no chance against speed rush types and difficult time blocking in space.

I get the NFL likes measurables but perhaps the last to letters should be B and A

E.J. Holland: Rising DE Z'Core Brooks has great visit to Texas

Z-Core Brooks is one of the most intriguing prospects in the state. At 6-foot-6, 220 pounds, Brooks is a raw prospect with unlimited upside. The three-star defensive end out of Dallas Woodrow Wilson holds half a dozen offers and is starting to garner interest from major in-state programs. “The offseason has been going great,” Brooks said. “I’m getting bigger and stronger. Schools like Baylor, Texas and Texas A&M have been showing interest, so recruiting is going great for me, too.”

Texas defensive line coach Oscar Giles stopped by to see Brooks in action earlier this spring. And the Longhorns hosted him for an unofficial visit on Saturday. “It went great,” Brooks said. “Coach Giles and his staff made me feel like I was at home. We talked about his life and his brothers. He told me that I would be a good fit at Texas.” Brooks feels like Texas is close to offering and has high interest in the program. “I’m very interested,” Brooks said. “I know it’s a really good school. We had Sergio Kindle go to Texas from here, and he played some defensive end and linebacker. I can play that. Really, I can play wherever you need me.”

Brooks currently has scholarship offers in hand from Oklahoma State, Purdue, FIU, SMU, Texas State and UTSA. Brooks is ranked as the No. 58 weak-side defensive end in the country and No. 104 overall prospect in the state, per 247Sports Composite.

11 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Bama' already has 3 OT commits.  Dunno' if any project to Guard though.

Perroni has back tracked from aggy-lock to saying it wouldn't surprise him if Shepherd ended up at any of the 3 mentioned above.

Very nice. Perroni is right on schedule. God, I love aggy. So freaking predictable:

On 4/3/2018 at 11:28 AM, UT Lawnghorn said:

Ah yes, the classic aggy recruiting reporter method of letting the sheeple down slowly.  It used to be, "stone cold locks to aggy." Then it was Green and Shepperd "are getting better acquainted" with the UT staff. Now it's "Texas has gotten its foot in the door but I think both still end up at A&M."  Soon it will be, it's a close race and Texas has pulled even.  They'll keep that line going for a while even though they know UT is in the lead and then finally, it will all be capped off with a glorious Perroni CB for both to Texas.  

This happens every year and yet I never grow tired of it.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Dr.Dre said:

Anyone hve any info on success of 6’8’’ lineman.  15 or 16 year old kid might grow a couple more inches?

Any successful 6’10” lineman around?  Would be quite difficult for him to block a 6’1 or 2 Malcolm Roach.  I liked Tristen Nickelson’s effort and heart but he had no chance against speed rush types and difficult time blocking in space.

I get the NFL likes measurables but perhaps the last to letters should be B and A

Certainly an interesting question, as there's got to be a height at which it becomes a detriment to an OL.  Based on a quick google, it looks like there are currenlty 3 active OL at 6'9 and 11 active at 6'8 but there doesnt seem to be anyone taller than that.   https://herosports.com/nfl/tallest-shortest-players-nfl-byby

They are: third-year Pittsburgh OT Alejandro Villanueva (Army), ninth-year Tampa Bay OT Demar Dotson (Southern Miss), second year Detroit OT Brian Mihalik (Boston College), and rookie Washington OT Kevin Bowen (East Central).

Just missing the cut are 11 offensive linemen and two defensive linemen (Jacksonville's Calais Campbell and Indianapolis' Margus Hunt) who stand 6-foot-8. 

Jonathon Ogden was 6'9 and obviously had a great career. However, there didn't seem to be much above 6'9. I'm sure there has been at some point in the league's history but it's definitely rare.

If Fatheree really is already 6'8 at 15 or 16, he could easily get to 6'10 or taller, which could pose a problem for him. Should be interesting to watch and see how he develops.

At the risk of jumping the gun, it sounds like Smith is still ours to lose.

Blair Angulo: USC impresses four-star WR Jake Smith

Elite playmaker Jake Smith narrowed his focus to just two schools recently and took another important step in his recruitment this weekend when he took his first official visit. The four-star receiver Scottsdale (Ariz.) Notre Dame Prep was back in Los Angeles to check out USC for the second time this offseason and told 247Sports the trip lived up to his expectations. "The people really stood out to me and their family atmosphere," Smith said. "I learned that all football players get their degree in three years, so that's big. Coach Clay Helton's biggest message to me was that they preach family and doing things the right way, and this visit definitely makes things harder for my decision."

Smith, one of the more dynamic and explosive players out West in the 2019 class, has another official visit to take before he makes a commitment, with a trip locked in with Texas for the first weekend in June. The Trojans, Smith said, view him fitting in at the slot position where he can use his speed and after-the-catch ability to move the chains. The 6-foot-1, 189-pound prospect had USC as his dream school growing up and camped with the Trojans last summer before making it back to campus this past January. He was only at the school for a few hours then, but got a much better feel for the program this time around.

"Tee Martin definitely knows what he’s doing and has shown that he can produce big-time NFL receivers," Smith said. "They have JT Daniels coming in this season and obviously I know how much of a superstar he is, so that plays into it, too."

The Trojans made up some ground on Texas, but the Longhorns have the final visit and did a phenomenal job with Smith and his family the two times they have been in Austin this year. Texas currently holds a healthy lead in the Crystal Ball projections, with two-thirds of the votes. Smith, who accumulated over 30 scholarship offers during the recruiting process before cutting his list two the remaining contenders, was credited with 2,538 all-purpose yards and 28 touchdowns as a junior last season. He is the nation's No. 104 overall prospect and No. 17 receiver in the 2019 class, per the 247Sports Composite.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Alabama probably has higher OTs on the board than Shepherd that they'll get, so I'll take it.

In any case, Shepherd isn't deciding anytime soon.

Darnell Wright. They're also probably landing the top center in the country, which gives them five OL. They could always trapdoor someone though if they decide they really like Shepherd. 

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Hide contents

Elite playmaker Jake Smith narrowed his focus to just two schools recently and took another important step in his recruitment this weekend when he took his first official visit. The four-star receiver Scottsdale (Ariz.) Notre Dame Prep was back in Los Angeles to check out USC for the second time this offseason and told 247Sports the trip lived up to his expectations. "The people really stood out to me and their family atmosphere," Smith said. "I learned that all football players get their degree in three years, so that's big. Coach Clay Helton's biggest message to me was that they preach family and doing things the right way, and this visit definitely makes things harder for my decision."

Smith, one of the more dynamic and explosive players out West in the 2019 class, has another official visit to take before he makes a commitment, with a trip locked in with Texas for the first weekend in June. The Trojans, Smith said, view him fitting in at the slot position where he can use his speed and after-the-catch ability to move the chains. The 6-foot-1, 189-pound prospect had USC as his dream school growing up and camped with the Trojans last summer before making it back to campus this past January. He was only at the school for a few hours then, but got a much better feel for the program this time around.

"Tee Martin definitely knows what he’s doing and has shown that he can produce big-time NFL receivers," Smith said. "They have JT Daniels coming in this season and obviously I know how much of a superstar he is, so that plays into it, too."

The Trojans made up some ground on Texas, but the Longhorns have the final visit and did a phenomenal job with Smith and his family the two times they have been in Austin this year. Texas currently holds a healthy lead in the Crystal Ball projections, with two-thirds of the votes. Smith, who accumulated over 30 scholarship offers during the recruiting process before cutting his list two the remaining contenders, was credited with 2,538 all-purpose yards and 28 touchdowns as a junior last season. He is the nation's No. 104 overall prospect and No. 17 receiver in the 2019 class, per the 247Sports Composite.

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, "making up some ground" doesn't sound positive at all, compared with how OSU and ND blew the doors off of Wilson and Nana respectively.

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

Hide contents

Reveal hidden contents

Smith is the most critical recruit of this season, IMO. Things apparently still look good. Good.

Now let's close him out, and move on to other guys.

9 hours ago, satyanash said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Who are you and what have you done with satyanash?

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

EJ after dark: Big 12 assistants see bright future for UT

— Not recruiting related, but during my travels on the road this week, I had an opportunity to talk to a Big 12 assistant. I asked him: Do you think Tom Herman will turn things around? His answer was a resounding yes. The assistant said Herman will have plenty of success this season and beyond. The assistant added that the longer Herman keeps Todd Orlando around, the better. He said Texas can have the best defense in the Big 12 for years to come and called Orlando a brilliant mind. Lastly, he said Texas must keep Orlando at all costs.

— Another Big 12 recruiting assistant from a different school said Texas has been a thorn in their side on the recruiting trail. The assistant said Tom Herman and his staff have done a much better job on the recruiting than Charlie Strong as far as being more active, creative and landing big name in-state prospects. However, the assistant said their school is looking to take advantage of Texas going out-of-state a lot this cycle and is going hard after the in-state high school coaches. The assistant added that Herman has a relentless attitude on the recruiting trail.

— Top junior college inside linebacker Lakia Henry made a verbal commitment to Tennessee this weekend. It wouldn’t be surprising if Henry continues to weight his options, though. Texas was supposed to receive an official visit in the fall, and Orlando will continue to push for his services. This one might not be over just yet.

— Rising Fort Bend Travis linebacker Zach Zimos backed out of his verbal commitment to California today. Texas has seen Zimos this offseason and is evaluating him. If the Longhorns were to offer, they would soar to the top of his list. Zimos is certainly a name to file away.

Gabe Brooks: MVP's from the ETSN/APEC East Texas Combine

TYLER, Texas -- Sunday's sixth annual ETSN.fm/APEC East Texas Recruiting Combine once again featured some of the top talent in the East Texas region. Position MVP's were selected by camp coaches and media following Sunday's event. Those players are listed below.

Overall Offensive MVP: T.Q. Jackson, 2019 WR, Jefferson (Texas) -- this event last year is where Jackson first burst onto the recruiting scene. He once again performed well to earn top honors on the offensive side of the ball. Jackson measured 6-foot-2, 188 pounds and ran a 4.53-second 40, while performing the best during position work and drills in a pretty talented receiver group. Jackson owns offers from Arkansas, Texas Tech, Arizona, Arizona State, Baylor, Houston, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Purdue, SMU, and several other schools. He is No. 71 overall in the state of Texas, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite.

QB MVP: Jake Smith, 2020 QB, Nacogdoches (Texas) -- after measuring a 6-foot-2 1/2, 187 pounds, Smith stood out during position work. He stayed on top of the ball and repeated his throwing motion and delivery on just about every rep. He put the ball where it needed to be and threw with consistently good velocity. Smith is just now finishing his sophomore year of high school and is definitely a 2020 prospect to watch in the East Texas region.

RB MVP: T.K. Hamilton, 2019 ATH, Waskom (Texas) -- turn on Hamilton's tape and you can see why he's landed several offers during the past couple of weeks. The 5-foot-11, 161-pound Hamilton didn't disappoint in that category Sunday, either. He ran a 4.47-second 40 and recorded a 36-inch vertical. Hamilton worked out with the running backs, but possesses skills that could translate to receiver or the secondary at the next level. His offer list, which has blossomed from zero to six Division I schools in the past 11 days, includes UTSA and Texas State at the FBS level.

WR MVP: Cameron Cantrell, 2019 WR, Whitehouse (Texas) -- Cantrell is a longtime Texas Tech commit and the younger brother of 2018 NFL Draft pick Dylan Cantrell. The younger Cantrell had perhaps the best overall testing day at the event. At 6-foot-1 1/2, 179 pounds, Cantrell ran a 4.66-second 40 with a blistering 3.96-second pro agility. He also recorded a 40.5-inch vertical and an outstanding broad jump of 126 inches (10 1/2 feet), while benching 185 pounds 14 times. Cantrell committed last August to Texas Tech and remains solid to the Red Raiders.

OL MVP: Riley Birdwell, 2020 OG, Nacogdoches (Texas) -- for the second time in four days, Birdwell stood out at an East Texas scouting event. Thursday's performance came at the inaugural East Texas Coaches Association Combine at Kilgore High School. Birdwell has not yet gotten any offers, but he will soon. Birdwell has been in contact with such schools as Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma State, Houston, and SMU. He measured 6-foot-4 1/2, 338 pounds at Sunday's event, where he once again showed short-area power and better-than-expected agility for a young player of his size and mass. Birdwell is a Power Five-caliber guard-to-guard prospect at the next level. 

Overall Defensive MVP: Eric Gipson, 2019 OLB, Jefferson (Texas) -- McNeese State offered Gipson this past week and it looks like the Cowboys knew about him before just about anybody. That won't last after Gipson's performance Sunday. He measured 6-foot-1, 190 pounds and ran a scorching 4.43-second 40 while working out as a defensive end. He also ran a 4.28-second pro agility and jumped 33 1/2 inches on his vertical. Gipson is long-framed and plays bigger than his size. He is an outside linebacker at the next level. He put up huge numbers as a junior, when he recorded 137 tackles, 25 tackles for loss, and 10 sacks.

DL MVP: Eric Gipson, 2019 OLB, Jefferson (Texas)

LB MVP: A.J. Zarate, 2019 LB, Van (Texas) -- Zarate measured 5-foot-10, 206 pounds and ran a 4.78-second 40. He also broad-jumped 110 inches and benched 225 pounds 11 times, one of the better bench-rep days at the event. Zarate moved to Van this offseason after playing his junior campaign at Taylor High School north of Austin. He's a physical player who hunts for the big hit.

DB MVP: Chase Crumpton, 2019 CB, Lindale (Texas) -- Crumpton enjoyed a strong day testing and in position work. He measured 5-foot-11, 179 pounds and ran a 4.50-second 40, along with a 4.16 pro agility. He also notched one of the top broad jumps at 122 inches (10 feet, 2 inches) and an impressive vertical at 35.5 inches. Crumpton is looking for his first offer, but has gotten interest from schools such as Louisiana Tech and Texas State, which he has visited for junior day events. Crumpton's size relative to his position and his testing numbers should bring him more recruiting attention.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

T.Q. Jackson was named the District 8-3A-I offensive MVP as a junior and was the District 8-3A-I overall MVP as a sophomore. He has performed well at camps earning offensive MVP in the east Texas camp  and has tested well and has solid measurables. Seems to me he is under ranked probably because of being at a 3A school far from Houston and Dallas. I have not seen his film. 

29 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

We offered Mansfield Legacy DL Taurean Carter.  IIRC someone posted on here he looked good at the Rivals camp and handled Bragg.  Roach has been high on this kid for a while.

https://247sports.com/Player/Taurean-Carter-46042131

This is an offer that makes sense even if Giles wasn’t striking out on his top targets. This kid is good.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, T&T’s Dad said:

LOL at Austin as a quaint, down home vibe...  The bullshit that these 9.95er's spew is comical.

dude, come on.  Austin is a major city, but it is not even in the same universe as Los Angeles.  The perks a talented USC player can get in that city are unmatched anywhere.

Edited by Gardner Barnes

TFB Open Post: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/05/open-post-monday-may-21st/

– 2019 CB and Oregon commit, Marques Caldwell (Alvin, TX) reports he has received a Texas offer…

I’ve seen, Caldwell in person. Big cornerback who can absolutely cover!

I texted his father who confirmed the offer and said, “I’m proud of him”.

We’ll have more on this later but I fully expect Texas to be a player here. – (Super K)

– Late last week, 2019 defensive end and Rutgers commit, Bryce Nelms (West Orange, NJ) let me know that he was visiting Texas this weekend for an unofficial visit.

Nelms is originally from Atlanta but moved to New Jersey last fall. He has family in the Dallas and Houston areas.

At a listed 6’5 255 lbs, he certainly fits the body type of the 4i DEs that Texas likes to have.

I will have a full update on his visit later – (Super K)

– Arguably, the biggest official visit news this past weekend for Texas could be about a recruit that wasn’t even be in Austin. Notre Dame Prep (AZ) WR Jake Smith, who is down to Texas and USC, took his official visit to USC this weekend. He will visit Texas on June 2nd and likely make a commitment shortly after.

This weekends visit will tell a lot in terms of how this recruitment will play out, but I wanted to share something. We’ve been reporting for a while now that people on Texas’ side of this have felt good about their chances to land Smith. Now after talking to some people on the USC side of this, they have been losing confidence in terms of their chances to land Smith. Like I said, this weekend will be huge, as USC could jump right back up in this one. Though it seems Texas has the clear edge heading into the official visits.

USC has been Smith’s dream school, but I’ve been told he has concerns with his “fit in the USC offense”. Texas OC Tim Beck, and newest Texas commit and Arizona native TE Brayden Liebrock, have been working hard on this one for Texas. – (Andrew)

– Texas is really pushing hard in Arizona right now. One of their primary targets there is DB Noa Pola-Gates. As we’ve reported before, Pola-Gates has family here in Austin and around Texas. I’ve been told by a number of people very close to Noa that the Longhorns offer has continued to make a huge impact on him. Coach Naivar has now been to see him twice and this has worked wonders in this recruitment. It seems that behind the scenes the interest is rapidly rising within him and his family. So much so that he will likely be taking a visit to Texas in late June. There seems to be quite a bit of buzz around Texas within that household. – (Will)

– With Texas combing the state of Arizona like the Spaceballs troopers, it’s a surprise that they seemed to miss a pretty big target in DE Ty Robinson from Higley in Gilbert, AZ. Well, they won’t be out of the picture there for long.

Robinson is a 6’5″ 260-pound behemoth. He is exceptionally well built, but perhaps could work a bit on the finer points of the position.

His talent hasn’t gone unnoticed as he has recently been blowing up receiving a Penn State and Stanford offer.

He also holds offer from Texas A&M, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Oregon, UCLA, and USC.

Just a guy to keep an eye on. – (Will)

– As you by now, NaNa Osafo-Mensah selected Notre Dame over Texas. We shot the video.

For a while it really looked like he was leaning Texas. Within our discussions with him, Texas seemed to be standing out. However a couple weeks ago he let us know that Notre Dame was the likely choice.

We actually shot two endings, one for Texas and Notre Dame.

Earlier this week, he actually had plans to take a last minute trip on Friday (yesterday) to Texas for one last appeal from the Texas staff. But ultimately decided against it. – (Super K)

– Texas A&M seems to be the heavy favorite for CB Marcus Banks as of now. I’ve talked with those very close to Banks, and he has known for a while now where he wants to end up. Texas has not backed off recruiting him, but they have taken a huge step backwards in his recruitment.

– Not unrelated, Texas has extended an offer out to Oregon CB commit Marques Caldwell. As of now Texas stands in a very good position with Caldwell, and I’d expect a flip if they push.

– There have been a lot of reports stating that Texas A&M is now the leader for Dylan Wright. We can assure everyone that those claims seem to be a bit inflated. While the Aggies did make significant progress, it seems that it’s cooling off. We’ll have a more in-depth update later from Super K. – (Will)

19 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

dude, come on.  Austin is a major city, but it is not even in the same universe as Los Angeles.  The perks a talented USC player can get in that city are unmatched anywhere.

Didnt say it was the same as LA.  However, to say that it is quaint, with a hometown vibe is a phenomenally unjust rationalization that in no way encompasses the vibe and verve of Austin.  Austin is not LA but when comparing a city of 13 million (metro) to a city of 2 million (metro), the differences are not as great as you might think.  There is a reason Austin is one of the fastest growing cities in the country...

54 minutes ago, T&T’s Dad said:

LOL at Austin as a quaint, down home vibe...  The bullshit that these 9.95er's spew is comical.

Guessing you haven't visited LA recently. Comparatively speaking, Austin does still possess a down-home vibe. 

IT

By: Eric Nahlin and Justin Wells

Catching up with Texas targets from both in and out of state. 

This past week I had a very random assortment of interactions with some new targets, some familiar targets, and some future targets.

I'll just list each name and go from there.

OG Will Putnam, Plant (Tampa, FL): The .9562 composite interior lineman picked up a Texas offer last week. The first thing that sticks out on his Twitter bio is "State Champion Wrestler." That ability, tenacity, and power readily shows up on tape. Putnam holds offers from much of his region's best schools and has visited FSU, Auburn (I should have asked him about Hand but it was a quick interaction), Clemson, and even made it out to Texas to visit the Aggies in April. He says he's going to look into Texas and research some. Also, "I will be coming out with a top-five soon, but most of the schools I've visited this past spring are the ones I'm very interested in." If Texas can get him to campus I feel like the staff can make some headway because of Andrew Beck. Beck graduated from Plant long ago, but he'd be a good ambassador of the Texas program for Putnam. I wouldn't be surprised by a visit. At 6-foot-4, 280 pounds he's what the staff is looking for inside. A player under 6-foot-4 is going to have to be special for the staff to pursue. If you like Branson Bragg you'll really like this guy.

WR John Metchie, St. James School (Hagerstown, MD): With Garrett Wilson committed to Ohio State and the staff on the outside looking in for St. Louis product Marcus Washington, the staff is working down its big board at Z wide receiver. Metchie says right now he's just focused on building relationships with schools and he's looking to take some visits soon. He did say he thinks Texas will get a visit. The 6-foot, 195 pounder is a composite .9065.

CB Marques Caldwell, Alvin (Alvin, TX): He wore a UT shirt to the Vype Houston photo shoot yesterday. That's sometimes newsworthy, sometimes not. Alvin's colors are a clean and crisp grey and orange, but it's already pretty well known Texas was an offer he was waiting on. I've been sporadically checking in on him since November and every time his fondness from Texas comes across. He's never shown frustration over a lack of an offer. He's been committed to Oregon since last October. Interestingly the Ducks picked up two studs from Mater Dei in California yesterday, one of them being a stud cornerback. I feel good on the flip contingent on the staff pushing. He'll visit in June.

DB Erick Young, Fort Bend Bush (Richmond, TX): This isn't really Texas related but it's on my mind because he showed up to the photo shoot wearing A&M gear. He'll likely end up at A&M (Bobby Wolfe, too). I thought OU would put up a fight for him but they're full, unless Dax Hill wants in.

OL Kenyon Green, Atascocita (Humble, TX): He walked up and I immediately asked if he was still growing. It appeared evident he was. He said he was and is now standing 6-foot-6. I'll give him 6-foot-5 for sure, now. He has one family member who was nearly 7-foot tall and an uncle that is 6-foot-8. As for recruiting, the Greens will tell you they're wide open, but A&M writers are as confident he'll end up in College Station as Texas writers are on UT landing Tyler Johnson. The Greens intend on taking all five official visits and make a decision next fall. This is one of those 'the longer it takes the better for Texas' recruitments.

OL Javonne Shepherd, North Forest (Houston, TX): I just missed him but talked to some people who know him. He's going to take his visits and also decide in the fall. Someone really close to him states no matter if he commits his recruitment will go until he signs and whoever gets the last visit probably wins out. He told Taylor Hamm his top three, in order, are Alabama, Texas, and A&M. If Texas remains ahead of A&M it likely wins out. I'm not sure he'll go that far from home and I'm not sure Alabama will have the room. The battle cry should be “Remember the Vernon Jackson!” Could be a pretty similar recruitment.

OL Tyler Johnson, Oak Ridge (Conroe, TX): He said he had a great official visit earlier this month, with time at Tom Herman's house standing out. He said he enjoyed beating Herman at shuffleboard, which made me chuckle. Johnson wasn't even sure of the name of the game when he recanted the story. If you own a shuffleboard table I'm going to assume you're pretty good. Crootin, imo. Johnson also enjoyed seeing J. Cole perform. Most importantly he says he strengthened relationships with players (he's already close with Tope Imade) and Coach Hand. He's almost a part of the team at this point. He still plans on announcing very late in the process, however.

LB Zach Zimos, Fort Bend Travis (Richmond, TX): Zimos de-committed from Cal just a couple hours earlier. Texas defensive coordinator Todd Orlando stopped by this spring to tell Zimos he was on the board and they'd be watching him this season. This is an interesting prospect because of the amount of room for physical development. He's 6-foot-4, 215 pounds with a thick neck and peach fuzz. I hate that I have to notice that stuff, but indicators like that are what foretell a player 'coming out of nowhere.' I'm not saying he's Leighton Vander Esch, but LVE was also a thick necked 6-foot-4, 215 pounds coming out of high school. Indeed, Zimos has the look of a guy who goes to a school like Boise State and develops into a monster. But, school are hip to that and we could see him blow up this fall. Right now it seems like he's feeling Arkansas but he's going to take his time. This will come down to two factors for Texas: do they want to take a B-backer in the class, or, do they think he could be a Mac? Right now Texas views him as a B.

I'll have more on a couple of 2020 offensive linemen tomorrow. It's time to start looking ahead at the stellar offensive line options in the coming cycles.

JALEN CATALON

Mansfield Legacy had its spring game on Friday, and in attendance was Texas safeties coach Craig Naivar, who is borderline stalking the highly-coveted DB Jalen Catalon. And it might be working.

The 5-foot-10, 180-pound QB and safety notices the efforts of the Texas safeties coach. Nobody recruits Catalon harder or more diligently.

He also dropped a Top 8 last week. Here’s his one-word description of each:

Texas: Tradition. “The players going to the NFL from there forever. Austin too.”
Clemson: One love.
TCU: Family Tree. “I’ve known some of those guys awhile. My cousin, BJ Catalon (Houston Westside) plays there too.”
Nebraska: Potential. “They’ll be good in a few years.”
Alabama: Consistency.
Arkansas: Family.
Ohio State: Powerhouse.
Oklahoma: Great program.

Catalon was fired up for the Texas Baseball team for winning the Big 12 Championship. UT is one of the only school’s that’s offered Jalen for both. Texas also offered teammate Taurean Carter this morning. I feel as though these are data points in the Longhorns column.

Of note, Catalon’s teammate, 2019 defensive end Taurean Carter was offered. He recently picked up TCU which was surprising in that he didn’t already hold that prestigious (for the area) offer.

MARQUES CALDWELL

The Alvin product and Oregon commit told us Jason Washington was coming to see him last week and he’d be bringing a surprise. That offer is exactly what Caldwell wanted.

“It’s a big offer for me,” said Caldwell. “It’s close to home, the fan base is out of the world, and the energy of Austin and just Texas stands out. Period.”

At 6-foot-1, 180, and holder of double-digit offers, Caldwell has been an Oregon pledge for a while now. But this offer could change things.

“It’s a real huge impact,” Caldwell said about his Texas offer. “It’s just something I will really have to sit down and evaluate with my parents and everything, but it impacts it a lot, without a doubt.”

One of the positives for Texas is CB coach Washington. The guy is one of the best in the business for a reason.

“The energy he brings is great, man,” Caldwell said of Washington.

BRYCE NELMS

The 6-foot-5, 255-pounder is a new name to Longhorn fandom. But not to college coaches.

The West Orange, NJ native made the long trip to Austin this weekend to check out the Longhorns. With UT looking for premier defensive linemen, they’re turning over every rock.

“I am originally from Atlanta and my trainer and former coach have a relationship with the Texas staff,” said Nelms. “Coach Giles was following me when I was in Georgia, but lost track of me when I moved to New Jersey. I also gained their attention when I played in the True19 Georgia vs. Texas game.”

Nelms holds 16 offers including Maryland, North Carolina, Nebraska, and Georgia Tech. He’s back on UT’s radar and they’ll keep watching him this summer and his senior year.

Nelms is open to an official visit this fall.

Z’CORE BROOKS

It’s been a while since Woodrow Wilson put out big-time prospects. The Sergio Kindles are few and far between. Texas has its eyes set on one senior however.

“It was really great,” said Brooks. He got to tour facilities/campus, spend time with a few staffers, and get to know Oscar Giles, who visited him in Dallas last week.

The 6-foot-6, 220-pound DE holds offers from Purdue, Oklahoma State, Baylor, and SMU. That’ll change with a big senior campaign.

He fits the OLB/edge rusher/Rover mold, but likely spins down to the DE position in college.

ONE TO WATCH: Allen Horace Jr. - Crockett DE/OLB (2020)

The 6-foot-5, 218-pound athlete was on display Sunday at the ETSN Combine.

His size, frame, and athletic ability are special. He’s got incredible feet, an explosive first step, and is good in space. Tremendous on the hardwood, he excels at TE and OLB for Crockett, but Texas sees him as a WDE.

We first saw Horace Jr. at the Opening Regional in Houston. He’s got offers from Oklahoma State and Baylor, while Texas, Arkansas, LSU, and A&M have been in touch. He might visit UT in June.

This 2020 in-state class continues to be ridiculous. Horace Jr. is just one more reason.

1 hour ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Are the Trojans treating us like aggys?  I don't like this feeling.  L.A. is L.A. though.  Can't argue.  Still, damnit.

7 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Are the Trojans treating us like aggys?  I don't like this feeling.  L.A. is L.A. though.  Can't argue.  Still, damnit.

I love San Diego. LA sucks. Bay Area was pretty good when I lived there but probably a little boring for a college students.

Just now, Bevo said:

I love San Diego. LA sucks. Bay Area was pretty good when I lived there but probably a little boring for a college students.

I concur about all of that.  If I ever win the Lotto, I'm moving to La Jolla.

• Like 3

Didnt say it was the same as LA.  However, to say that it is quaint, with a hometown vibe is a phenomenally unjust rationalization that in no way encompasses the vibe and verve of Austin.  Austin is not LA but when comparing a city of 13 million (metro) to a city of 2 million (metro), the differences are not as great as you might think.  There is a reason Austin is one of the fastest growing cities in the country...

I won’t change your mind, but I spend a LOT of time in Los Angeles. Austin feels like a backwater berg when I get home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

LA has high taxes, traffic, and english is the second language. oh, and traffic. who could want more.