Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

51 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

From EJs article

There has been some speculation in regards to the commitment status of four-star cornerback Kenyatta Watson II. Tennessee has been actively recruiting him, and Vols head coach Jeremy Pruitt swung by Grayson (GA) yesterday. But Watson and his family remain adamant that they are completely solid to Texas. I reached out to Watson’s father, who had this to say about the situation: “Kenyatta is going to Texas. Period!” Watson and his family plan to be in Austin for another visit soon.

It would have been funnier if he said "Kenyatta is going to UT. Period!"

Yes, there is only one UT.

1 hour ago, Fud said:

You might want to look at this time last year when most of the top Georgia kids were committed elsewhere. Where did they end up?

They signed 9 of the top 25 kids in state, 4 of whom were committed to them October or earlier. 2 more were uncommitted. They flipped 3 guys late I believe.

I’m guessing they actually spend more money on OOS recruits than in state ones. I’d actually worry more about a Texas kid Georgia is going after hard, as strange as that sounds.

And none of the Grayson kids are committed to Georgia, that beef extends beyond the Watson family. 

(Eric Nahlin) Fridays at the State Fair: 10/5/18

By: IT Staff

What's the best way to get recruits to watch OU football? Give them tickets to a Texas game. This year is the Sooners' turn to host and there will be a few common targets in attendance. More important than who is at the game is the outcome. The virtuous circle of winning begetting elite recruits begetting winning would get a nice boost if Texas could pull out the win. If this team sticks to its profile of playing 'up' to its competition, we should be in for a dandy 24 hours time.

TEAM 

In last year's RRS, Texas got off to a sluggish start and a big deficit before roaring back to take the lead. In what would become the defining theme of the season, they showed a lot of resilience and physicality, before losing late. The motto for this team has been to 'finish' and so far, other than Maryland, Texas has done just that in convincing fashion late in games. Yes, a couple of those games should not have been close late, but the point remains, Texas is closing out games forcefully.

The key this week is the team putting itself in that position once again. I asked if playing OU so close last year gives this year's team confidence to finish them off. "I don't think so, I think the way they've played this year gives the team confidence to win." I asked the source to talk more about the prospects of winning on Saturday. "The team feels like if it executes and plays a full game it can play with anyone, even Bama. It's pretty simple, play like they did versus TCU and they have a good chance. Play like K-State and they won't win. They need to get out fast on both sides of the ball and they know it. Don't give yourself a hole to dig out of. OU's offense is too good to do that."

Anyone who was recommending a healthy dose of Dime to stymie the prolific OU offense is on the ball. We won't see a whole lot of Nickel, outside of assumed running downs and inside the 20. The good news is BJ Foster practiced all week and looks good to go. Behind him DeMarvion Overshown practiced. I think even if Foster was lost for whatever reason they'd stick with Dime and put Overshown in. I keep hearing the same things about Overshown as we've heard about Sterns and Foster -- the lofty high school rating was certainly justified -- though this would be a difficult scenario to get his first real snaps.

I won't go into too many details on the game plan for obvious reasons but we'll likely see some blitzes we haven't seen yet. They're installed at least and need to get home if/when used. There will be coverages to give the defensive backs help versus the talented receivers. They know their goal to contain Kyler Murray in the pocket or at least hit him when he vacates is a tough ask but that is the goal. It should help that the staff can rotate fresh legs in on the d-line and put a bunch of defensive backs on the field.

Herman said center Zach Shackelford will start this week. I asked my source about that and he said, "I guess they think it helps the run game to have him in and E-Rod at guard." Hopefully it does help the run-game because we're expecting a heavy dose of Keaontay Ingram this week. We'd be shocked if the talented freshman didn't see a significant increase in workload. While the defense knows it has its work cut out for it, the offense expects to move the ball against the Sooners defense. I asked about using tempo to grind them down and that didn't really sound like it was in the cards but I'm sure we'll see it situationally.

In an effort to take some shots deep we may see more receivers rotate this week than in previous weeks. Obviously the passing game will still largely work through Lil'Jordan Humphrey and Collin Johnson. It shouldn't be too difficult to exploit their size advantages. A final quote: "This team reacts well to big game environments. When they're playing with emotion they're very tough to beat. This game brings the emotion out of them. Expect them to play fast and physical win or lose but if they play that way they think they'll win."

STATE OF RECRUITING 

When David Gbenda went public with his declaration of Longhorn love on Sunday night, it pushed UT up the recruiting rankings for 2019 and added a piece every Big 12 school requires -- a linebacker that can cover ground and play downhill. Gbenda is the 18th commit for the #fUTure19, which means Texas is down to single digits for the remainder of the class. One guy who could join the group, Marcus Washington, was trying to make the game on Saturday. He and his father really wanted to hit the Cotton Bowl this weekend. While that's not likely, him joining the Longhorns' current class isn't so far-fetched.

Washington, the four-star out of St. Louis (Trinity Catholic), named UT in his Top 6 at the end of the summer. Then he visited Austin for the USC game. That trip, coupled with the love Mookie Cooper has for the 40 Acres, certainly caught the Washingtons attention. Marcus is set to announce in three weeks to the day and it's safe to say Texas has set themselves up nicely here for the 6-foot-2, 180-pound X-receiver's services.

Another top prospect on the Longhorns mind, Jalen Catalon, is beginning to take his official visits. Always quiet, Catalon doesn't tip his hand much, but after his official to OU last weekend, he's set to see Arkansas when they host Alabama this weekend. He enjoyed his Norman trip, but I've heard Oklahoma might have other DBs higher on its priority list. There's been some scuttle on the Razorbacks' message boards that the Hogs have taken the lead for the four-star athlete from Mansfield Legacy. The bottom line is that you should expect Chad Morris and his staff to put on the full court press on Saturday. In Arkansas' favor is he'll be joined by teammate and current Razorback pledge Enoch Jackson as well as teammate and current Razorback lean Taurean Carter. It would be silly not to think that helps UA's chances somewhat, but I have my doubts on just how much that will actually help with the multi-sport star.

Jalen maintains he'll make his decision in December/January, just like he's stuck with for over a year now. If he sticks with that timeline, I still like UT's chances. Most importantly, it looks like he'll take an UOV to Austin next weekend for the Texas-Baylor tilt. Also, he's saving his UT official visit for later in the season. To me, that's the biggest factor. Both sides prefer that final OV, if possible.

TCU is still a threat, perhaps the most legitimate, but he told me watching Texas topple the Horny Toads two weeks ago was noteworthy. At the end of the day, Catalon's relationship with safeties coach Craig Naivar is probably the most important data point in this recruitment. Both have a lot in common, including their love for baseball. I still think UT has the quiet lead, but Catalon and his family are taking their time for a reason; he wants to make the best, most thorough decision. That's just how Catalon operates, on and off the field.

With OU being this year's home team, they get to host recruits at the Cotton Bowl tomorrow. There's a handful of OU targets that share that distinction with their Red River rivals. Prince Dorbah and Bryson Washington come to mind. Dorbah, the elite defensive end from Highland Park, is a fan of both. He really likes Texas and d-line coach Oscar Giles. His college position is TBD because he continues to grow. He's a B-backer currently, but will find his hand in the ground if he outgrows that projection. Either way, he's probably the top defensive end in-state for 2020, not to mention in the region. The 6-foot-4, 220-pounder holds offers from UT, Alabama, and Oklahoma State early. That will only increase.

Washington, of the C.E. King Washingtons, is a big fan of both squads squaring off on Saturday. He wants to make his decision next summer - July 4th - and it looks like Texas has a great shot. Eric caught up with him last night and the Texas win over USC really caught the Southern California native's attention, as has the play of the Texas safeties. We'll have quotes in the Scoop but Texas is in a good spot here.

One more note; don't be surprised to see Mayde Creek d-lineman Marcus Stripling's name appear more often in regards to the Longhorns 2019 haul. He's been relatively quiet since the beginning of his senior year, with OU, LSU, and Texas A&M leading the pack. Now I'm hearing two of those schools - Sooners and Aggies - might be looking elsewhere or tired of waiting on the four-star's services. I'm willing to bet Stripling visits Austin before he makes a decision. With his size and strength, he's probably a nose tackle. Texas stays in touch with Stripling, especially since they want 4-5 d-linmen. I still think LSU is probably the team to beat today, but don't be shocked if you see him visit the 40 Acres at some point. He hasn't been on campus since Junior Day last February. A lot has changed since then.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Ignoring the deep aggy stupid permeating this post, what Tech commit is she even talking about? We're not chasing Parker or Ibeneme.

Do09IW9UYAAUi6j.jpgDo09JiZVAAAC8d_.jpg

EJ put out a piece yesterday about the staff being in contact with Parker and going to his game last night.  Offer could be coming.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd
  • Like 1

Recruit Reactions per EJ: 

Spoiler

RB Trey Sanders, IMG Academy (Fla.) — “Texas is just getting started. Shhh.”

RB Noah Cain, IMG Academy (Fla.) — "They're finally turning that corner. O-Line has gotten a lot better." 

RB Zachary Evans, North Shore (2020) — “Expect the unexpected. It’s a rivalry game for a reason.”

RB Mookie Cooper, St. Louis Trinity Catholic (MO) (2020) — “They made a statement today. The win proved that Texas is most definable on a rise and getting back to how they used to be.”

WR Marcus Washington, St. Louis Trinity Catholic (MO) — “Texas is back. Fought through adversity and came out on top. That’s the end goal of every game.”

WR Jake Smith, Notre Dame Prep (AZ) — “We took care of business today and performed amazing. Offense looked unreal. Can’t wait to be in the burnt orange.”

WR Demariyon Houston, Millwood (Okla.) — “We’re getting it!”

TE Jared Wiley, Temple — “Big-time win in a big-time environment. Can’t wait to be a part of the family.”

OL Chad Lindberg, Clear Creek (2020) — “Another big win to keep the roll going in the Big 12. I don’t know if any conference team can hang.”

OL Reuben Fateree, Richmond Foster (2021) — "Huge win. Good game. The work in the trenches was impressive." 

DL Peter Mpagi, George Ranch — “OU sucks.”

DL T'Vondre Sweat, Huntsville — "I love it. All I got to say is Texas is on a mission." 

LB De’Gabriel Floyd, Westlake (Calif.) — “Texas is back.”

LB Caleb Johnson, Fullerton College — “Crazy. Can’t wait to visit next week.”

LB David Gbenda, Katy Cinco Ranch — “Hook Em. Change is here and on the way.”

LB Shammond Cooper, St. Louis Trinity Catholic (MO) — “You have to believe the hype now. Texas is back.”

CB Kenyatta Watson II, Grayson (GA) — “Amazing win. It got tight, but we found a way to finish. I cannot wait to play in this game next year.”

ATH Jordan Whittington, Cuero — “I love The University of Texas, and they will get every ounce of my determination to help them win a national championship.”

ATH Michael Henderson, Carrollton Ranchview (2020) — “That game was crazy. Really good win for Texas. Woke some people up.”

ATH Joel Williams, Madison Prep (La.) (2020) — “I saw the highlights of game. It was a very good game.”

ATH Kelvontay Dixon, Carthage (2020) — "The game was crazy. They were going back and forth and when it came to the end, (Cameron) Dicker kicked the field goal and made it."

ATH Jovan Ferguson, St. Thomas Aquinas (Fla.) (2020) —  "A lot of people doubted them. But don't worry about the media. We just play Texas ball and silence the crowd." 

• Like 5