Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

3 hours ago, Casual Encounter said:

Guy has been downplaying everything Texas has done and chose to watch aggy/KY instead of going to TX/OUsux.

It’s not too far a stretch to see the negativity in his comment.

only if you're looking for it. there was nothing wrong with his comment.

Just now, Casual Encounter said:

I really expected him to play this year. Is he still hurt or just not good?

I think he's just buried on the depth chart. He played on ST evidently. But it might take him a while to back up to playing speed I'd think. Hopefully we see him more at some point this year.

2 minutes ago, Xminus6 said:

I think he's just buried on the depth chart. He played on ST evidently. But it might take him a while to back up to playing speed I'd think. Hopefully we see him more at some point this year.

KJ is the guy who lines up to Dicker's left on KO coverage, runs crazy fast and doesn't make a tackle. His straight line speed is pretty impressive

Recruit Reactions per EJ: 

Spoiler

RB Trey Sanders, IMG Academy (Fla.) — “Texas is just getting started. Shhh.”

RB Noah Cain, IMG Academy (Fla.) — "They're finally turning that corner. O-Line has gotten a lot better." 

RB Zachary Evans, North Shore (2020) — “Expect the unexpected. It’s a rivalry game for a reason.”

RB Mookie Cooper, St. Louis Trinity Catholic (MO) (2020) — “They made a statement today. The win proved that Texas is most definable on a rise and getting back to how they used to be.”

WR Marcus Washington, St. Louis Trinity Catholic (MO) — “Texas is back. Fought through adversity and came out on top. That’s the end goal of every game.”

WR Jake Smith, Notre Dame Prep (AZ) — “We took care of business today and performed amazing. Offense looked unreal. Can’t wait to be in the burnt orange.”

WR Demariyon Houston, Millwood (Okla.) — “We’re getting it!”

TE Jared Wiley, Temple — “Big-time win in a big-time environment. Can’t wait to be a part of the family.”

OL Chad Lindberg, Clear Creek (2020) — “Another big win to keep the roll going in the Big 12. I don’t know if any conference team can hang.”

OL Reuben Fateree, Richmond Foster (2021) — "Huge win. Good game. The work in the trenches was impressive." 

DL Peter Mpagi, George Ranch — “OU sucks.”

DL T'Vondre Sweat, Huntsville — "I love it. All I got to say is Texas is on a mission." 

LB De’Gabriel Floyd, Westlake (Calif.) — “Texas is back.”

LB Caleb Johnson, Fullerton College — “Crazy. Can’t wait to visit next week.”

LB David Gbenda, Katy Cinco Ranch — “Hook Em. Change is here and on the way.”

LB Shammond Cooper, St. Louis Trinity Catholic (MO) — “You have to believe the hype now. Texas is back.”

CB Kenyatta Watson II, Grayson (GA) — “Amazing win. It got tight, but we found a way to finish. I cannot wait to play in this game next year.”

ATH Jordan Whittington, Cuero — “I love The University of Texas, and they will get every ounce of my determination to help them win a national championship.”

ATH Michael Henderson, Carrollton Ranchview (2020) — “That game was crazy. Really good win for Texas. Woke some people up.”

ATH Joel Williams, Madison Prep (La.) (2020) — “I saw the highlights of game. It was a very good game.”

ATH Kelvontay Dixon, Carthage (2020) — "The game was crazy. They were going back and forth and when it came to the end, (Cameron) Dicker kicked the field goal and made it."

ATH Jovan Ferguson, St. Thomas Aquinas (Fla.) (2020) —  "A lot of people doubted them. But don't worry about the media. We just play Texas ball and silence the crowd." 

Wait, is the 2020 kid from Florida already committed? I don't follow anything past the next incoming class, but he said "we just play Texas ball and silence the crowd"

1 minute ago, ousux said:
4 hours ago, Teryor said:
Recruit Reactions per EJ: 

Spoiler

RB Trey Sanders, IMG Academy (Fla.) — “Texas is just getting started. Shhh.”

RB Noah Cain, IMG Academy (Fla.) — "They're finally turning that corner. O-Line has gotten a lot better." 

RB Zachary Evans, North Shore (2020) — “Expect the unexpected. It’s a rivalry game for a reason.”

RB Mookie Cooper, St. Louis Trinity Catholic (MO) (2020) — “They made a statement today. The win proved that Texas is most definable on a rise and getting back to how they used to be.”

WR Marcus Washington, St. Louis Trinity Catholic (MO) — “Texas is back. Fought through adversity and came out on top. That’s the end goal of every game.”

WR Jake Smith, Notre Dame Prep (AZ) — “We took care of business today and performed amazing. Offense looked unreal. Can’t wait to be in the burnt orange.”

WR Demariyon Houston, Millwood (Okla.) — “We’re getting it!”

TE Jared Wiley, Temple — “Big-time win in a big-time environment. Can’t wait to be a part of the family.”

OL Chad Lindberg, Clear Creek (2020) — “Another big win to keep the roll going in the Big 12. I don’t know if any conference team can hang.”

OL Reuben Fateree, Richmond Foster (2021) — "Huge win. Good game. The work in the trenches was impressive." 

DL Peter Mpagi, George Ranch — “OU sucks.”

DL T'Vondre Sweat, Huntsville — "I love it. All I got to say is Texas is on a mission." 

LB De’Gabriel Floyd, Westlake (Calif.) — “Texas is back.”

LB Caleb Johnson, Fullerton College — “Crazy. Can’t wait to visit next week.”

LB David Gbenda, Katy Cinco Ranch — “Hook Em. Change is here and on the way.”

LB Shammond Cooper, St. Louis Trinity Catholic (MO) — “You have to believe the hype now. Texas is back.”

CB Kenyatta Watson II, Grayson (GA) — “Amazing win. It got tight, but we found a way to finish. I cannot wait to play in this game next year.”

ATH Jordan Whittington, Cuero — “I love The University of Texas, and they will get every ounce of my determination to help them win a national championship.”

ATH Michael Henderson, Carrollton Ranchview (2020) — “That game was crazy. Really good win for Texas. Woke some people up.”

ATH Joel Williams, Madison Prep (La.) (2020) — “I saw the highlights of game. It was a very good game.”

ATH Kelvontay Dixon, Carthage (2020) — "The game was crazy. They were going back and forth and when it came to the end, (Cameron) Dicker kicked the field goal and made it."

ATH Jovan Ferguson, St. Thomas Aquinas (Fla.) (2020) —  "A lot of people doubted them. But don't worry about the media. We just play Texas ball and silence the crowd." 

Wait, is the 2020 kid from Florida already committed? I don't follow anything past the next incoming class, but he said "we play Texas ball"

Not currently, but good catch. Something to watch it seems.

He's not wrong though. Evans has been dismissive in his comments regarding our performance this year. 
After the TCU game, he says he wants to see how we perform against a better defense like OU. (LOL)
Now that we had our way with OU's defense, he's dismissing it as just a crazy rivalry game.
Maybe that's just how he is, but his tone is definitely not a positive one.

I think he's a JR kid who is being heavily influenced by some aggy BS. Not gunna disagree how dismissive he's been, but it's a long time to next year.

Obviously right now he's aggy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, UncleBuck said:

I think he's a JR kid who is being heavily influenced by some aggy BS. Not gunna disagree how dismissive he's been, but it's a long time to next year.

aggy will run out of time with Evans.

10 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Evan's running behind a really, really good oline, will see if anything changes next year for him as well

52 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Collin Johnson doesn't need the money, so that may factor into it.

Man I don't know. I have several friends with a lot of family money, but until they're parents pass away they ain't getting shit. One of my buddies has already been told he's not getting anything. His crazy mom is giving it all to the Gates foundation.

2 minutes ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

Man I don't know. I have several friends with a lot of family money, but until they're parents pass away they ain't getting shit. One of my buddies has already been told he's not getting anything. His crazy mom is giving it all to the Gates foundation.

Typically when a player goes pro because they need the money its because they need to take care of their parents/handlers/hangers. He doesn't need to do that is all. His family also values that Texas degree. The money will be there for him, he might as well enjoy his time in college.

26 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Typically when a player goes pro because they need the money its because they need to take care of their parents/handlers/hangers. He doesn't need to do that is all. His family also values that Texas degree. The money will be there for him, he might as well enjoy his time in college.

i agree. i dont think he leaves early. ljh is from southlake? he might be good too. 

Those of you saying Colin isn't leaving need to come back to reality. He will be a beast at the combine and 2nd round pick at the worst. He gone. 

Just like Malik, right? Take off the orange tinted glasses. I don’t even think he’d test all that well at the combine. He’s not a guy with a ton of straight line speed.

5 minutes ago, RichUT said:

Just like Malik, right? Take off the orange tinted glasses. I don’t even think he’d test all that well at the combine. He’s not a guy with a ton of straight line speed.

Yeah. Height and Wingspan and flypaper hands dont mean shit in the eyes of scouts. Its not like his straight line speed gets substantially faster with another year, so by that logic he might as well leave anyway. Genius fucking take. 

People want to anoint him, like we do any time we have someone that is even a little bit effective. CJ is a beast 1:1, but is not a complete player nor anywhere close to a finished product. He’s not a particularly good route runner, not is he particularly explosive. He doesn’t even try to block on most running or screen passes. He’s a matchup problem at this level vs undersized corners, but he’s no better than a 3rd or 4th round pick if he declares after this year.

Not that there is anything wrong with “only” being a third rounder, but people act like he’s already Megatron 2.0 and he’s a good ways away from that at the moment.

15 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Those of you saying Colin isn't leaving need to come back to reality. He will be a beast at the combine and 2nd round pick at the worst. He gone. 

I think Texas fans have not seen real offensive talent in so long that when they see a halfway decent player we think he is a first round draft pick. Connor Williams was a later second round draft pick for Pete’s sake. 

CJ is a very mediocre route runner who just now has started to learn how to block. He likely would be a fifth round or later player. 

College football is absolutely loaded with good wide receivers. He has a lot of work to do before he is an NFL receiver. 

• Like 5

CJ's biggest issue is that he doesn't play to his strengths consistently. 

It for sure has been. Not as much this year, though. Kid has been playing tall, and physical. He's getting heavy contact and grabbing on some of these routes where he's still catching. I've had to eat some crow from my thoughts on him coming into this season.

49 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I think Texas fans have not seen real offensive talent in so long that when they see a halfway decent player we think he is a first round draft pick. Connor Williams was a later second round draft pick for Pete’s sake. 

CJ is a very mediocre route runner who just now has started to learn how to block. He likely would be a fifth round or later player. 

College football is absolutely loaded with good wide receivers. He has a lot of work to do before he is an NFL receiver. 

I don’t care about all that.  He balled out today and made those sooner dbs his bitch.  

(E.J. Holland) 10 thoughts: What UT's win over OU means for recruiting

1. Overall picture — What does a win in the Red River Showdown really mean for Texas recruiting? Look, I don’t expect Texas to land commits left and right this week. But it does put the Longhorns in an even better position for key 2019 targets like Jalen Catalon and Marcus Washington, who is set to make his decision in a few weeks. The victory also sets the tone in the 2020 class. I feel like the Longhorns have answered the call on the field and have in turn inspired confidence in the future of the program. While A&M made waves in-state this cycle, Texas has an opportunity to take the momentum back for 2020.

2. Dallas recruiting — I still feel like Texas needs to establish a better presence in the Dallas-area. But this win will go a long way with prospects in D-FW. I switched my Crystal Ball pick from Stanford to Texas for elite 2020 Hebron defensive back Darius Snow after the victory and had previously existing Crystal Ball picks in for metroplex stars like Duncanville athlete Ja’Quinden Jackson and Highland Park defensive end Prince Dorbah. Oklahoma and A&M recruited really well in Dallas this cycle, but Texas can take full advantage of the area in 2020.

3. The Bru pick — Everyone on the board obviously noticed that I put in a Crystal Ball pick for five-star Mater Dei (Calif.) athlete Bru McCoy to land at Texas. Look, this didn’t come out of left field and isn’t for attention purposes at all. I was actually told by a source to put one in last week, but I was hesitant. This win should give McCoy and his family all the assurance they need that Texas is a stable program that can turn into a national title contender. I’m also told that the McCoy family isn’t as high on Clay Helton as they are on Tom Herman. I still feel like it’s 50-50 here, but Texas has built some strong momentum — yes, it’s real.

4. Where is the Trey pick? — Look guys, yes, I am tempted to put in a Crystal Ball pick for five-star IMG Academy (Fla.) running back Trey Sanders. But I’m still hesitant due to the fact that his parents want him to stay closer to home, making Alabama and Florida two likely landing spots. Sanders has bought into the program, loves what position coach Stan Drayton brings to the table and is close to Bryan Carrington. Texas is definitely a real possibility, but winning over his parents is a must before I put in a new CB pick.

5. Can Texas flip any A&M commits — I did exchange a couple of messages with Converse Judson defensive lineman DeMarvin Leal, but he basically gave me non-responses. Texas is doing a good job recruiting him behind the scenes and keeping in constant contact with his mother. But this is still going to be a tough flip. Getting him on campus is a must, and I feel like it will eventually happen. I wouldn’t be surprised if West Mesquite wide receiver Dylan Wright ends up making a visit either as he flirted with the idea of making a trip for the USC game. I can also confirm that one 2019 A&M commit not named Wright or Leal reached out to Texas recently. With all this said, the Longhorns need to keep winning and hope the Aggies struggle in SEC play.

6. Solid commits — There were some questions in regards to four-star Grayson (GA) cornerback Kenyatta Watson II and his commitment status. But again, Watson and his father are adamant that they are locked in with their pledge to the Longhorns. A strong start for Texas is only helping. I would still have some concerns about four-star Houston North Forest offensive lineman Javonne Shepherd, especially with Texas A&M actively recruiting him. But like with Watson, UT has helped itself with its play on the field. Even though a large portion of the class is made up of out-of-state commits, the recruits seem really solid.

7. 2020 DL recruiting — Texas has been up and down with recruiting along the defensive line. But the Longhorns have a shot to really make a statement next cycle. Going into the game, I said a victory would mean a lot in the recruitments of Highland Park’s Prince Dorbah, Cy Ridge’s Vernon Broughton and Manor’s Princely Umanmielen. All three are very high on Texas and Oklahoma, so the Longhorns’ victory opened their eyes. I have Texas Crystal Ball picks in for the trio.

8. Next weekend — With the win over Oklahoma, expect next weekend to be a big one for recruiting purposes as more and more prospects will want to watch the Longhorns in action against Baylor. Big-time out-of-state recruits like five-star Garfield (WA) linebacker Sav’ell Smalls and five-star Saguaro (AZ) cornerback Kelee Ringo are tentatively scheduled to visit, while key 2019 targets like JUCO linebacker Caleb Johnson and four-star Mansfield Legacy defensive back Jalen Catalon are also slated to be in attendance. Even five-star 2020 Texas A&M wide receiver commit Demond Demas told me that he is contemplating making another trip to Austin. And yes, he is a flip possibility as well. 

9. National presence — UT’s monster victory is creating some waves nationally. As mentioned, Ringo and Smalls are expected to visit next weekend. Five-star California natives Elias Ricks and Kendall Milton also want to make it to campus and were both impressed with the win. Of course, we have Texas Crystal Ball picks in for elite St. Louis Trinity Catholic (MO) athlete Mookie Cooper, and he loved what he saw from the Longhorns. Keep a close eye on 2020 St. Thomas Aquinas (Fla.) athlete Jovan Ferguson as it seems Texas is making a move there.

10. Trainers — It might have been lost in the Twitter universe, but Mike West, who works closely with elite 2020 Houston CE King safety Bryson Washington and four-star 2020 FB Marshall quarterback Malik Hornsby, and the Fast 7v7 account tweeted very positive things about Texas after the win. Doug Smith, who works with the aforementioned Broughton, was also in attendance at today’s game. If Texas can get these guys in their corner, it could mean a lot, especially in the recruitments mentioned above as well as Fast 7v7 players like Dwight McGlothern.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Newy25 said:

I agree with this and I love CJ. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

I hope like hell you're right. He would be a bonifide beast next year.

2 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Yep, very likely that Jake Smith houses that screen pass on our 2nd offensive play. As good as the offense is starting to look, this is going to be the least talented version of it in a long time.

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Yep, very likely that Jake Smith houses that screen pass on our 2nd offensive play. As good as the offense is starting to look, this is going to be the least talented version of it in a long time.

I'll repeat my last post, I hope like hell you're right. Actually, I think you are.