Texas recruiting notes 2019

9 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

It’s really not that hard to teach someone to snap a fucking football.

It’s not just about snapping, your center directs the OL and calls coverages based on the defense.  I agree that it’s possible to teach but they need to have a good football iq too to be good and that’s not always easy to find.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

It’s not just about snapping, your center directs the OL and calls coverages based on the defense.  I agree that it’s possible to teach but they need to have a good football iq too to be good and that’s not always easy to find.

This would be true, and it presents the dilemma. The best possible center is almost always going to be a guy who can probably qualify to get into Stanford academically.

But I agree with those who say fuck this Stanford knob-slobbing bullshit. We just beat fucking OU; celebrate for a while, m'kay?

• Like 2

Wasn't Vahe recruited as a center? 
I wouldn't hold these interior line prospects to the position their 247 profile projects. I would bet most recruited 'centers' end up as guards, and most college centers were recruited as 'guards'. I'll go through the top 20's of the last few years later.

We've got Shack for another season. Tom loves him so I doubt he will be replaced. I just hope they're cross-training one of their young guns for the position in the mean time. It would be nice to steal Layden Robinson from aggy for the lulz, but I'm sure we will find someone for the position.

Edited by Tired of Lurking
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Tired of Lurking said:

I wouldn't hold these interior line prospects to the position their 247 profile projects. I would bet most recruited 'centers' end up as guards, and most college centers were recruited as 'guards'. I'll go through the top 20's of the last few years later.

We've got Shack for another season. Tom loves him so I doubt he will be replaced. I just hope they're cross-training one of their young guns for the position in the mean time. It would be nice to steal Layden Robinson from aggy for the lulz, but I'm sure we will find someone for the position.

Yep Vahe and IIRC Cuney were both listed as centers and Shack wasn’t even though everyone knew we would be using him as our center.

17 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

That thread doesn’t seem possible. TrojanPrincess was telling me that I was absolutely fucking wrong in arguing that USC fans, feeder high schools, players and recruits weren’t as high on Helton as you’d think. She said he’s an amazing man and everyone in the land of Troy loves the man. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

That thread doesn’t seem possible. TrojanPrincess was telling me that I was absolutely fucking wrong in arguing that USC fans, feeder high schools, players and recruits weren’t as high on Helton as you’d think. She said he’s an amazing man and everyone in the land of Troy loves the man. 

Bitches be crazy 

3 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

I'd still say Bragg goes to Stanford, but I do wonder now what they're thinking watching the Little kid, who with his family helped sell the Braggs on Stanford, not developing very well at all under a new offensive line coach. While back home, a kid from the same class as Little (Cosmi), a far inferior prospect to Little (3*v 5*; #104 OT v #3 OT) seems to be overachieving with a new OL coach in Austin.

Fly on the wall, I wish I were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t always agree with you but I can’t help but think the same thing.

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

What about the metric of actually giving an F to a student who deserves to fail a class? Or actually grading realistically instead of the entire university undergrad population averaging over a 3.5 GPA? 

Given the general success of Stanford grads, it's a pretty useless metric.

3 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

I'd still say Bragg goes to Stanford, but I do wonder now what they're thinking watching the Little kid, who with his family helped sell the Braggs on Stanford, not developing very well at all under a new offensive line coach. While back home, a kid from the same class as Little (Cosmi), a far inferior prospect to Little (3*v 5*; #104 OT v #3 OT) seems to be overachieving with a new OL coach in Austin.

I think it's a great point. 

2 minutes ago, Carl Winslow said:

california 5* 😨 me oklahomas have been busts 

Is this a tweet or your opinion? 

Caleb Kelly has definitely been a bust. No idea why you'd move from California to Oklahoma to play for Mike Stoops. 

Speaking of OU, during the IT podcast, Nahlin compared Gbenda to Eric Striker. Yes. Please. 

2 hours ago, Tired of Lurking said:

Good take. 

It'll never happen for extended stretches, but our best 5 from left to right : Anderson, Kersetter, E-Rod, Shack, Cosmi. 

Joel Klatt get out of my head: 

As @AuburnFootball seems to lose the ability to run the ball and @TexasFootball seems to gain traction up front it is easy to point to the one constant...Herb Hand left Auburn and joined Texas this offseason as OL coach (10th assistant)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Sorry for the dumb question, I started paying attention yo this cycle a bit late, but is Mookie related to Shammond? And would we take both Johnson and Cooper this cycle?

I also thought they're related. They aren't. They are teammates and seem pretty tight. 

An old fashioned Texas v Illinois recruiting battle (insert sarcasm). 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Just now, HtownHorn said:

It was neither Leal or Wright if EJ is too be believed.

Green is the only other recruit I'd want.

I think Owens will be better than Richardson. 

Their class ranking is based on quantity, not quality. 

https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/Season/2019-Football/Commits/

7 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Green is the only other recruit I'd want.

I think Owens will be better than Richardson. 

Their class ranking is based on quantity, not quality. 

https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/Season/2019-Football/Commits/

When Marcus Washington commits we'll have the same number of 4/5* commits as they do.