Texas recruiting notes 2019

Just now, Machinator said:

They talked to him and Texas told him they'd give him a shot at QB.

Sounds like the staff likes his athletic potential and is willing to let him figure out where he belongs when he gets to campus.

Thanks! I know the people who commented when it was first posted said he was just all around a good athlete and worth having. 

10 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

So we went from chasing N.Cain as more realistic longhorn to Sanders? Wonder what shifted in the recruitments that we flip flopped besides winning. I know in the beginning we had a better shot at Cain. Granted Sanders is better but just curious.

Haven't heard much about Cain, he headed to LSU?

Watching Texas momentums and potential, and realizing that next year we basically only have 1 RB.  It's a real position of need, at a high level.  

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Powell is the kind of fast they’re looking for after Saturday. Higgins is going to Stanford and they have guys like him anyway. Powell is a super fast athlete that they’ll figure out positionally later. There are going to be others like this, for sure in 2020. 

I like the idea of keeping a few spots open each year for "jumbo" and "speed" athletes. Players like Roach, Wiley, M. Williams in the first category and Powell in the second can become x-factors with good S&C and a coaching staff that's smart enough to figure out how to deploy them.

Gary Patterson builds programs with these kinds of players.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Powell is the kind of fast they’re looking for after Saturday. Higgins is going to Stanford and they have guys like him anyway. Powell is a super fast athlete that they’ll figure out positionally later. There are going to be others like this, for sure in 2020. 

4.45 isn’t that kind of fast. Rondale Moore is that kind of fast, and they almost got him.  I don’t know who is 4.3 fast in this class. 

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

4.45 isn’t that kind of fast. Rondale Moore is that kind of fast, and they almost got him.  I don’t know who is 4.3 fast in this class. 

Maybe I should have put my post in quotes. Take it for what it is worth. I’ve not followed Powell much myself. 

46 minutes ago, Machinator said:

They talked to him and Texas told him they'd give him a shot at QB.

Sounds like the staff likes his athletic potential and is willing to let him figure out where he belongs when he gets to campus.

Exactly.  Look at his frame and speed (6'2", 180, 4.45)  Then the presser about having a long talk with with recruiting about go find elite speed for the defense.

"you want to come try your hand at QB?  Great, line up with the 4 we have and the one incoming and lets see how it plays out.  Then we can find you a soft landing at corner".  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

You don't need a 5-10", 4.3 guy in the secondary.  A 6-2" 4.45 guy is much preferable.  Fast enough to keep up with the cushion and big enough to lay hits.  Herman stated as much today, he gave marching orders to find guys who can chase little fast guys to the corner.  

I don't know anything about this kid but this is the profile he sent his recruiters out looking for on defense.  

1 hour ago, Treefidy said:

You don't need a 5-10", 4.3 guy in the secondary.  A 6-2" 4.45 guy is much preferable.  Fast enough to keep up with the cushion and big enough to lay hits.  Herman stated as much today, he gave marching orders to find guys who can chase little fast guys to the corner.  

I don't know anything about this kid but this is the profile he sent his recruiters out looking for on defense.  

Interesting. I watched the PC and what I thought he was saying was that we don’t have guys like Murray and 6 on our own offense. 

Like, we are fast on defense but not on offense yet. 

36 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Interesting. I watched the PC and what I thought he was saying was that we don’t have guys like Murray and 6 on our own offense. 

I heard what you heard. After noting how fast they were he said our defense was fast, but then he compared our offense to theirs. He wants their speed, but he also noted how our bigger, more physical athletes were valuable as well. He wants speed to complement what we already have (or maybe he was being nice).

43 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Yeah, I guess I don’t see it with Powell yet. That said he’ll probably blow up in the playoffs and make me look foolish. 

Assuming he’s taking Cine’s reservation, I think Texas could find a better DB out of state. 

Just my two cents. 

I've read that Ohio State is really after this kid. With the level of player they've consistently had at DB the last few years, I'm not sure this is true.

6 hours ago, Treefidy said:

I agree with this.

Especially if it's a legitimate 6-2" 4.45. That's fast enough.  

9 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

None are burners. Boyd, Jones and BJ maybe the fastest at low 4.5 kind of guys. 

Our entire 2018 DB haul except Jamison was filled with low to mid 4.6 guys. Physicality and length is their strength.

Sterns' play recognition lets him play much faster than his times would indicate.

Posted in the Hamm thread, but he's reporting Shepherd will again visit aggy for an official visit against Ole Miss.  Was supposed to come to Texas this weekend but isn't planning to right now.  

One team is the hot trendy team that pushed its way into the top 10 with 3 wins over ranked opponents.  The other team has one decent win over an overrated Kentucky program and is staring at a 5 loss season.  If we win out, we're going to close well OOS.  I think we're going to see an even bigger OOS recruiting push for the 2020 class with all the shady happenings in Texas with aggy.  

Edited by victory88

4 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Posted in the Hamm thread, but he's reporting Shepherd will again visit aggy for an official visit against Ole Miss.  Was supposed to come to Texas this weekend but isn't planning to right now.  

One team is the hot trendy team that pushed its way into the top 10 with 3 wins over ranked opponents.  The other team has one decent win over an overrated Kentucky program and is staring at a 5 loss season.  If we win out, we're going to close well OOS.  I think we're going to see an even bigger OOS recruiting push for the 2020 class with all the shady happenings in Texas with aggy.  

I'm 100% on board with focusing a little more on OOS talent - especially those in the California / Arizona / Missouri areas of the country where the local schools are struggling.

7 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I should have clarified, in the pressed thread.

its a twitter quote by bob ballou that says

Herman: Kyler Murray is really fast. # 5 is really fast. We're really fast on defense - they are faster. We had a long talk with our recruiting department about going out and finding those guys. We aren't elite fast on defense yet.

18 minutes ago, victory88 said:

So for folks that might know and be familiar with Shepherd, is he a good kid that just needs time in College to grow up..... or more likely the type that won't work hard and ends up later transferring to JUCO??

25 minutes ago, victory88 said:

We aren’t going to just roll over and let aggy buy everyone in state. This year is a bit of a weird year due to all of the shady handlers and poor mental evals on many top recruits. Herman has said ideally he would pull 25 guys from Texas every year, but they can’t always find the right guys for every position. This is the biggest difference between Herman and Mack imo. Mack would just take the top talent or second tier talent in Texas no questions asked and just assume those guys are elite. It worked well for a while, but really backfired on us at the end. Oddly, Mack built his program on oos guys that Mackovic had brought in like Ricky and Major, then added Simms before focusing almost exclusively on Texas players.

11 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

So for folks that might know and be familiar with Shepherd, is he a good kid that just needs time in College to grow up..... or more likely the type that won't work hard and ends up later transferring to JUCO??

No specific insight on Shepherd but I want to say it was Belichick that made the point that you can have one lazy or troublesome guy on your team, and a strong culture will keep them in line. Once you have two, they can hang out together and start sucking in their more impressionable teammates, and there goes your culture.

We seem to have a pretty straight-edge team right now, so it could all just work out.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

He strikes me as similar to Martellus Bennett. Martellus Bennett is a piece of shit.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Jones is a 4.3 guy, Foster and Boyd 4.4. Jones flys when he plants his foot and goes, but he still has below average ball skills.

Thanks.... remember players were fooling around during summer voluntary workouts and Kris Boyd won most races.  John Burt and D'Shawn Jamison had a few wins, and Devin Duvernay was competitive....

So Foster is faster than Sterns.... Also curious how fast Green is??

I remember Cook being criticized by recruiting folks for lack of speed..

Thanks.... remember players were fooling around during summer voluntary workouts and Kris Boyd won most races.  John Burt and D'Shawn Jamison had a few wins, and Devin Duvernay was competitive....
So Foster is faster than Sterns.... Also curious how fast Green is??
I remember Cook being criticized by recruiting folks for lack of speed..

Surly is into forearms and 40 times. That’s how we judge talent.
  • Haha 1

Given everything surrounding Shepherd, his potential flipping is less cause for alarm than the fact that we only have 1 other OL committed. You need numbers at every position, but the potential bust rate on the OL seems higher to me than just about any other. The staff's evals seem to be nails on the OL so far, but I'd rather increase the odds with more bodies.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

I should have clarified, in the pressed thread.

its a twitter quote by bob ballou that says

Herman: Kyler Murray is really fast. # 5 is really fast. We're really fast on defense - they are faster. We had a long talk with our recruiting department about going out and finding those guys. We aren't elite fast on defense yet.

That’s not a quote. At least not an accurate one. Go to 5:10 in the presser. The last line should say we aren’t elite fast on offense yet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

Our entire 2018 DB haul except Jamison was filled with low to mid 4.6 guys. Physicality and length is their strength.

Sterns' play recognition lets him play much faster than his times would indicate.

Sterns also had his worst game against OU this past Saturday. He took some really poor angles and seemed to be one step out of position most of the day. I think he was surprised by the OU speed, and then it got in his head throughout the game. I bet if Texas plays them again, he has a much better game.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, nycHorn said:

Surly is into forearms and 40 times. That’s how we judge talent.

It's been years, but didn't the forearm lust originate from aggy and has just been maintained as a running joke here?  Kinda like how your mom was into my forearms last night while I was in her?

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Sterns also had his worst game against OU this past Saturday. He took some really poor angles and seemed to be one step out of position most of the day. I think he was surprised by the OU speed, and then it got in his head throughout the game. I bet if Texas plays them again, he has a much better game.

Sterns seemed a little banged up from what I saw, but ya he didn’t have a great game. He seemed to be really laboring on that shot to Hollywood.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Well if it's true that he went from 345 to 312 in the past month, I would say his work ethic is fine. You can't teach 6'6" 312 with a good baseline for OT. Texas doesn't have a lot of guys like Shepherd on campus right now. He would be a loss and the coaching staff should be doing everything they can to get him.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Given everything surrounding Shepherd, his potential flipping is less cause for alarm than the fact that we only have 1 other OL committed. You need numbers at every position, but the potential bust rate on the OL seems higher to me than just about any other. The staff's evals seem to be nails on the OL so far, but I'd rather increase the odds with more bodies.

I bet you we will see quite a few new offers in November after they've been able to evaluate senior year film.  Cosmi is a future all conference player and is playing like it now.  Early returns are that Christian Jones will be good if he keeps developing.  We took a crazy athletic kid in Reese Moore.  Kerstetter is a contributor.  I bet Angileu will contribute too.  I think you'll see similar offers go out to athletic big guys that can run that may need a year with Yancy.  Sam Cosmi is playing better right now that Walker Little at Stanford.  Let that soak in.  OL evaluations are so hit or miss.  Glad we have Hand as he knows what he wants.  

• Like 4

https://www.hookem.com/story/dotted-line-texas-recruiting-wish-list-narrows-longhorns-continue-win/

The Longhorns are ranked inside the top 10 of the AP Poll for the first time in eight years and recruits around the country are taking notice of what’s cooking in Austin under Tom Herman. It started with a win over USC when Texas hosted dozens of recruits, then continued with wins over TCU and Oklahoma. Texas is back — at least in the minds of the recruits.

Here is a look at the top five players remaining on Texas’ recruiting board. Keep in mind that Texas wants to add a JUCO product on the offensive line but is still evaluating which players to offer.

Mater Dei (Calif.) wide receiver and outside linebacker Bru McCoy at The Opening Final. (Mike Craven)

Bru McCoy, athlete, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei

FYI: 6-2/212; 5 stars; No. 1-ranked athlete in 2019 class

Top schools: USC, Texas, Washington

Texas is the leader for McCoy. I repeat: Texas is the leader for the nation’s top athlete and that wasn’t true when he stepped on campus for his official visit when the Longhorns hosted USC. Texas wowed McCoy with its performance on the field and the bond between the players on the team. Current Texas commit De’Gabriel Floyd is leading the charge for McCoy and is doing a great job helping to recruit his fellow Californian. McCoy can play wide receiver or outside linebacker and would immediately be the best player in Texas’ class.

Trey Sanders, running back, IMG Academy (Fla.)

FYI: 6-0/214; 5 stars; No. 1-ranked running back in class

Top schools: Alabama, Texas, Florida

Texas earned a commitment from four-star running back Derrian Brown following the USC win and the Longhorns would love to add a second back with so many questions at the position. Will Kyle Porter stay? What about Toneil Carter? The Longhorns need bodies and the best running back in the class was secretly high on Texas the entire cycle and the Longhorns are starting to make a real push for his services. Sanders also was in town for the win over USC.

Marcus Washington, wide receiver, St. Louis (Mo.) Trinity Catholic

FYI: 6-2/191; 4 stars; No. 26-ranked wide receiver

Top schools: Texas, Ohio State, Missouri

Texas leads for Washington and the four-star receiver is set to pick a school on Oct. 23. It would be a surprise if Texas didn’t add Washington, who was a finalist at The Opening in Arlington over the summer. Texas’ three current wide receiver commits project to the slot position and Washington would provide Texas a longer wide receiver who can play on the outside. He was set to commit to Ohio State before the Urban Meyer scandal and that gave Texas another shot to persuade him to Austin. It’s worked.

Jalen Catalon, safety, Mansfield Legacy

FYI: 5-9/188; 4 stars; No. 17 on the Fab 55

Top schools: Texas, Arkansas, Clemson, Oklahoma

Many assumed Catalon would wind up at Texas, but it’s proving to be a real battle. Arkansas is making a real push for him. Catalon hopes to play football and baseball in college with football his main sport. He says he won’t make an announcement until December and his relationship with assistant coach Craig Naivar will keep Texas in the mix. Arkansas is a real player for Catalon.

Caleb Johnson, outside linebacker, Fullerton College (Calif.)

FYI: 6-1/215; 3 stars; No. 3-ranked JUCO outside linebacker

Top schools: Committed to Iowa State

Texas picked up a commitment from its third linebacker in the 2019 class last week when Katy Cinco Ranch four-star David Gbenda pledged. Texas wants to sign four linebackers and the top target remaining on its board is Johnson, a JUCO product committed to Iowa State. Johnson would provide immediate depth at the position much like Gary Johnson did when he joined Herman’s class in 2017.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

6 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I bet you we will see quite a few new offers in November after they've been able to evaluate senior year film.  Cosmi is a future all conference player and is playing like it now.  Early returns are that Christian Jones will be good if he keeps developing.  We took a crazy athletic kid in Reese Moore.  Kerstetter is a contributor.  I bet Angileu will contribute too.  I think you'll see similar offers go out to athletic big guys that can run that may need a year with Yancy.  Sam Cosmi is playing better right now that Walker Little at Stanford.  Let that soak in.  OL evaluations are so hit or miss.  Glad we have Hand as he knows what he wants.  

Now that we are developing depth along the line, we can take guys with an eye to put them on the shelf for two years. That means we can take guys who are more athletic with bigger upsides versus going for college level size coming out of high school. It seems like those huge guys have higher boom/bust rates than the athletic guys who need to eat.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Sam Cosmi is playing better right now that Walker Little at Stanford.  Let that soak in.  OL evaluations are so hit or miss.  Glad we have Hand as he knows what he wants.  

There are 0 Hand recruited OL on campus right now, and I would love to have Little on this roster. Cosmi was a Warehime eval at Houston.

• Like 1

Just now, HtownHorn said:

There are 0 Hand recruited OL on campus right now, and I would love to have Little on this roster. Cosmi was a Warehime eval at Houston.

I don't think he was implying Cosmi was a Hand evaluation.  I think he was just using Cosmi as an example of just how crazy OL evaluations can be.  And he's also happy that we have Herb Hand here.

• Like 1