Texas recruiting notes 2019

4 hours ago, golfclap said:

yeah. every time I see it again I'm like "holy hell" and that was on a rainy disgusting day where almost everyone else tested like crap. 

He's a FREAK

His measurables that day were freaky, but he's never really shown it on the field, at least to my eyes. In the back of my mind, I wonder if he's more of a workout warrior than functional athletic freak, or maybe if he tested better than usual that day

Don't get me wrong, he's obviously athletic, but those numbers screamed freak, and I haven't seen it backed up on the field, whether from hudl or college 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Katfid54 said:

I mean . . . they won a Rose Bowl and had six top-ten finishes over the last decade.

no shit, but no recruits remember any of that without google. you know well enough that 2019 recruits don't remember tcu in the mtn west.

lol nice try

Edited by pacman

say what you will about TCU,  they know reality, they accept reality, and they dont make up stupid bullshit like our sheep fucking midget brothers to the east in CS, who are so gone from reality.   I gotta give props to accepting 2nd fiddle like a man 

• Like 3

Horns247 Recruiting notes: New five-star visitor; intel on A&M-UT battles

— Per his brother, five-star 2020 North Shore running back Zach Evans is looking to visit Texas this weekend for the Longhorns’ game against Baylor. It's not 100 percent finalized, but they really want to make the trip. As we’ve mentioned, Texas is still very much in the picture here. Evans and his brother are both high on the UT coaching staff and the program in general. This will be his first time on campus this fall but remember, Evans visited Texas more than any other school this offseason. While A&M has made a strong push, Texas is still doing a great job behind the scenes.

— Five-star 2020 Texas A&M wide receiver commit Demond Demas will not be at Texas this weekend. Footwork King is taking him up to Ohio State. It’s something Footwork King had planned for a while. Demas just wasn’t fully cognizant of the dates. Footwork King, however, did talk to the Texas staff about it and is planning to bring Demas to Austin for the Longhorns’ game against West Virginia in a few weeks. While Demas is committed to A&M, it’s clear that he still has very high interest in the Longhorns.

— Texas offensive line commit Javonne Shepherd will not be joining Footwork King and Demas on their trip to Columbus. Instead, Shepherd is still working to make his way to UT for the Longhorns’ game against Baylor. Shepherd just got a car, so now he has his own mode of transportation. While it has since been deleted, Shepherd put out an emphatic tweet stating that he is solid to Texas. While he may continue to make visits, I feel a little better about him sticking with the Longhorns through signing day based on my conversations with him and Footwork King.

— Demas isn’t the only 2020 Texas A&M commit that Texas is working on. The Longhorns have been in contact with four-star Fort Bend Hightower offensive lineman Smart Chibuzo. Texas offered just before he picked A&M, so they didn’t have an opportunity to really build a relationship with him. Things have been progressing, and Footwork King plans to bring him to UT’s game against West Virginia along with Demas, Shepherd and 2021 wide receiver Latrell Neville.

• Like 2

Eric Nahlin: Thoughts on recruiting in a 5-1 world

Winning is great, really great, but it won't have the immediate impact on recruiting that hardcore recruitniks are hoping for. Of course, many recruitniks, the ones who flew over the cuckoo's nest, are more suited to the noun version of patient rather than the adjective. This board is pretty smart, and only sorta crazy, and understands what we've been writing the whole cycle: The staff always expected to win, so there's no point in deviating from the long, paint drying, patient approach.

Texas will continue to recruit long-shots like Bru McCoy with fervor, while also trying to flip instate must-gets like Garrett Wilson and DeMarvin Leal. No easy task, but winning not only helps in these recruitments, it's required. As far as instate recruiting goes, not only is the class shallow on talent, 82% of the instate top-50 players are already committed. Fortunately, Texas has commitments from five or six out-of-state players who would be top-25 players in this cycle.

Instate targets who are on the radar to varying degrees include Jalen Catalon, Elijah Higgins, Lewis Cine, Marcus Stripling, Deondrick Glass, and Peyton Powell. After Cine makes his decision next week (probably Georgia), the top-15 players will all be committed. I don't expect Texas winning to help much with those prospects, outside of perhaps Wilson and Leal, and again they're long-shots.

Back in July I wrote about the factors and scenarios to look for in late-cycle recruiting. I'll have to revisit this article in the next month as more information emerges, but this is where things could get interesting. Winning helps leverage these situations.

1. Coaching changes, uncertainty surrounding under-performing recruiting powers
2. Instate late-bloomers
3. Out-of-state prospects squeezed out by instate schools filling up
4. Prospects without a Texas offer but still being recruited quietly
5. Circle-backs
6. Leveraging volatility between the signing days

(Re: #1, Ed Orgeron is proving me wrong, Clay Helton is proving me right)

At 10-2 and playing in the conference championship you're going to capitalize on these scenarios in ways that many other schools can't, especially when you have so many spots remaining. There are going to be ways to position itself for success in that Texas wasn't able to last season, simply by being a program truly on the rise. For now, it's the job of the staff to keep winning and the recruiting staff to keep gathering information on prospects and their situations.

The main value of the patient approach in this cycle is prolonging the evaluation process and finding prospects who are truly ascending. By doing this you gain a better understanding of the players who had questions -- often the type that don't show up on film -- who have worked towards answering them. On a test that has a lot of boxes, maybe a prospect is only missing one final box to check. Once that's done, they could become a viable candidate for the staff to hard-press down the stretch. As individual scenarios begin to crystallize, so to does the staff's interest in a player.

As a season plays out, program needs become more obvious. This certainly affects how you approach the rest of the class. Texas needs a ready-made JUCO linebacker, and just may get that in Caleb Johnson. Texas needs more immediate competition on the offensive line and is likely to get that from a Juco, and then maybe even again in the grad transfer market. Needs remain at wide receiver, running back, offensive line, defensive line, linebacker, and Jalen Catalon. More names will emerge as candidates like Myron Warren did yesterday, and the better the season the more likely it is the staff doesn't have to drift too far down the big board for answers.

It's going to be an interesting finish to the 2019 class and winning will effect the ceiling, though maybe not quite as much as fans would have liked due to instate talent being down and many players being cemented to their current school of choice.

Where winning REALLY helps is with the 2020 class before trend lines begin to emerge. Juxtapose the start to the 2020 class with Texas at 10-2, rather than at the beginning of 2019 where UT had some in-house issues that were blown out of proportion just as OU made the playoffs and A&M made a coaching change.

UT's preferred patient approach only works if it's winning. While Texas is still taking its time on the current class, A&M is working hard towards the class ahead. I will say the UT staff has done well to pick up the interest on 2020's with the amount that visited in September, but the coaches certainly aren't pushing as aggressively as other staffs. They're in no hurry to take commitments at this point. That's good, keep in mind they're evaluating the two most populous states while also doing homework on Louisiana and the Southeast. They don't want kids who can play at Texas, they want the best kids who can play at Texas. That's a big difference fans don't always understand -- they're recruiting to a standard that doesn't care where you live. Currently Texas is in fair, to good, to great condition with the following prospects:

RB Zach Evans - fair
DB Dwight McGlothern - fair
WR Demond Demas - fair
ATH Ja'Quinden Jackson - good
OL Chad Lindberg - great
DB Chris Thompson - good
DB Darius Snow - great
QB Hudson Card - great
OL Logan Parr - great
DB Bryson Washington - good
DB Jaylon Jones - great
DL Vernon Broughton - good
OLB/DL Prince Dorbah - great
OL Jaylen Garth - great
OL Jake Majors - good
RB Ty Jordan - good
DL Alfred Collins - great
DB Kelvontay Dixon - great
DL Princely Umanmielen - good

Not coincidentally, these are also the prospects the staff is seemingly targeting the hardest at this point. Basically, the players they're showing the most interest in are returning the favor. Depending on how much the program wins over the course of the rest of this season (it's conceivable we could get tired of all the winning) and next will play a large part in who on this list ends up in the class. I could see the staff pulling back the reins on some of these offers as more players emerge from both in- and out-of-state.

For now, enjoy the winning. If Texas closes this season strong just assume the 2020 cycle will be guaranteed a top-five class.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Per his brother, five-star 2020 North Shore running back Zach Evans is looking to visit Texas this weekend for the Longhorns’ game against Baylor. It's not 100 percent finalized, but they really want to make the trip. As we’ve mentioned, Texas is still very much in the picture here. Evans and his brother are both high on the UT coaching staff and the program in general. This will be his first time on campus this fall but remember, Evans visited Texas more than any other school this offseason. While A&M has made a strong push, Texas is still doing a great job behind the scenes.

This would be excellent. Judging by Baylor's previous game film, Ingram might run for 200+ against them. 

Just now, Katfid54 said:

This would be excellent. Judging by Baylor's previous game film, Ingram might run for 200+ against them. 

They're also extremely susceptible to losing backs out of the backfield. We'd been saving the mesh/RB wheel for OU (which scored a TD). We might score on it another time of two against Baylor, especially since Evans wants to see RBs catching passes. 

4 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

They're also extremely susceptible to losing backs out of the backfield. We'd been saving the mesh/RB wheel for OU (which scored a TD). We might score on it another time of two against Baylor, especially since Evans wants to see RBs catching passes. 

Was that called in your Herman offense Mensanalysis thread? If so, a tip of the hat.

I haven't watched a ton of Baylor football this year, but from my limited viewing, their LB corps is bad to very bad. Some tempo and passes to RBs to exploit mismatches could lead to easy scores, especially if they keep having to involve their secondary in the run game.

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Last year, toneil carter motioned out to the right slot and caught a seam route pass for a 30 yard td against isu. Only time all season I saw that play, or at least the only time the rb got the ball. Wouldn’t mind seeing that play again using Watson or Ingram since both can catch. 

He actually didn't motion out. He basically ran a fly route out of the backfield. The safeties vacated and he blew past the LB.

Baylor does more single high looks than ISU ran against us last year so I wouldn't expect to see that against them. But I could imagine us running it against ISU or oSu because they have both liked to run cover two type looks against us in the past. 

17 minutes ago, Sheep Have Wool said:

Was that called in your Herman offense Mensanalysis thread? If so, a tip of the hat.

I haven't watched a ton of Baylor football this year, but from my limited viewing, their LB corps is bad to very bad. Some tempo and passes to RBs to exploit mismatches could lead to easy scores, especially if they keep having to involve their secondary in the run game.

Baylor's defense is a bunch of jags outside of Lynch and Arnold (who is out with an injury). OU's defense sucks but they at least have some talent on the roster. 

The Jkbtjc dude (or whatever his name is) was even tweeting during the K-State game that they need to be offering JUCO LBers, DEs, and safeties because of how bad they are at those positions. 

Edited by texasstrong12

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I said "very soon". How *very* soon is now?</the smiths> 

Not trying to fuck with you guys. If nothing materializes this weekend, the fluidity of recruiting means the info was wrong or shifted away. That's about as good as I can get. 

We get it. Your just human and you want to be loved.

• Like 2