Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

32 minutes ago, Horny Bull said:

I’m not singling anybody out, but it is hilarious how much some recruits care about that shit. There are almost no planned commitments these days where fans don’t know where they’re going before they announce.

Anyone else just think of Stanford?

12 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

He trains 50 NFL athletes but has time to constantly drive (4 and 5-star) high school kids across the state and up to Ohio. Yeah. Sure thing.

This. Plus he's trying to develop a structure wherein we'll take what he gives us and we'll like it and ask no questions. This ain't the USSR!

24 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

He trains 50 NFL athletes but has time to constantly drive (4 and 5-star) high school kids across the state and up to Ohio. Yeah. Sure thing.

What are you trying to say here? There's evidence of him doing both of these things all over his twitter.

EJ Holland printing that tripe on behalf of his street agent buddy is fucking pathetic. The fact that Burton allows that bitch to earn a paycheck shilling for fucks like that is an embarrassment. 

Hey Footwork King, stop hustling players for money and we’ll stop mocking you. Keep doing it and eventually a private investigator is going to cover the game and report you to the IRS and the NCAA. It could be happening right now. You don’t get to tell those of us who give a fuck about college football what to do, you fucking shitbag. 

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

I’d be surprised of theres lots of nfl athletes training with a 3rd party during the season. I’d be REALLY surprised if an NFL player ever paid a dime to the a 3rd party trainer, ever, except in pics and social media mentions. That leaves a couple open time wndows during the year and a need for an income stream that doesnt come from the rich parents of suburban, mediocre HS athletes that do pay to train. 

26 minutes ago, Snacks said:

So... All of the adults are crying on their internet... About a guy taking players on tripsor not taking them in a timely fashion... And then the guy points it out... And the adults complain about that, too?

Is that what this is?

Are you really that dense, or just being obtuse?

hqdefault.jpg

9 hours ago, irishtexan said:

To be fair it’s the middle of the season so NFL players aren’t flying to Houston for training right now.

From what I’ve seen most of his professional athletes (not including Aggy commits) train during spring and summer before they report to camp. 

The guy is a legit trainer and is good at what he does.

• Like 4

He may tell himself and others that he is helping kids in a spirit of charity, but one can’t escape noticing that he seems focused on helping not the marginal 3* guys in danger of failing to land a scholarship but rather blue chip guys who have a higher possibility of inspiring ‘gratitude’ from boosters and of becoming paying NFL clients.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

He may tell himself and others that he is helping kids in a spirit of charity, but one can’t escape noticing that he seems focused on helping not the marginal 3* guys in danger of failing to land a scholarship but rather blue chip guys who have a higher possibility of inspiring ‘gratitude’ from boosters and of becoming paying NFL clients.

This isn't true. They are just the ones who get the most attention because of their blue chip status.

18 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Yep. 

Not to beat a dead fucking horse, and this thread has again turned to a festering fuckhole because non-recruiting board assholes come rambling over after a couple of big wins and spew a bunch of bullshit when they know nothing. FWK is very good at what he does and has trained a couple of kids that I semi-know from baseball and their siblings. None of whom are 5* athletes (or even 3*) but some of whom might play some DIII baseball or lacrosse. He is very good at what he does. There are some shitty "trainers" and "coaches"  and guys that are in this for all the wrong reasons and there's a ton of these guys that would be much more worthy of this boards vitriol, and we didn't even get to the street agents and wannabes. There are also guys that are trainers that are pretty good at what they do that are MUCH shadier and there are several of those that are very anti-UT. Of course his motives aren't altruistic, he's got a business to run that relies on these results, but in this world of 7on7 coaches and personal trainers, this dude doesn't even register on list of shady. So STFU and move on to recruiting, which is going really well and there's actual news and information to be found and discussed. 

Hi FWK!

Eric Nahlin: Random late night recruiting notes

Just emptying out the notebook.

MYRON WARREN

The Many, Louisiana senior defensive end was offered on Monday. He's a bit of an enigma, not unlike 2018 signee Michael Williams at this point last year. Warren isn't much for the camp scene so I doubt his 6-3, 230 listing is accurate. He looks bigger in pictures. Of the limited 2018 footage I've seen of him he's quite intriguing; he gets off the ball quickly and throws his frame around.

I messaged with him last week before he was offered and he said a visit was a possibility after the season but now that looks much more likely. Amazing what an offer can do. Obviously it's a positive sign for Texas that he de-committed a day after receiving his offer, but he's also hearing from Notre Dame, Mississippi State, and a little from Oklahoma.

Texas has two defensive linemen committed for the class. Both Peter Mpagi and T'vondre Sweat fit the mold for what the staff is looking for. Warren seems to as well.

Unlike d-line, I've mentioned B-backer isn't much of a priority in this class, though Texas seems a bit more interested in grabbing one as of late.

B-BACKER

Part of that could be linebacker calculus and the ability to move Jeffrey McCulloch to Mac. That could just be wishful thinking on my part, though Shark has acquitted himself nicely at B. Another reason could also be Orlando realizing Malcom Roach should have his hand in the dirt. Joseph Ossai will be ready to go full tilt next season, and judging by Byron Hobbs' physical development he may be a bit ahead of schedule, but the staff is looking at some interesting players.

Independence C.C. athlete Kuony Deng is one possibility, but there's a good chance he ends up at Va. Tech where he'll visit later this month. He's originally from The Commonwealth. I talked to the RC at Independence and he said Deng wasn't sure where he'll take his last two official visits too. Deng has some freaky traits and versatility but it might not be in the cards for him and Texas. Still, them being interested in him enough to offer is instructive.

The staff also checked in on Dallas South Oak Cliff's Steven Parker. SOC is playing a very weak schedule but Parker has something like 12 sacks already according to one of his coaches. He's originally from Lubbock and is committed to Texas Tech, but a lot of the big boys have been by to check on him, including Georgia recently. Will Georgia have room? No, but it's worth noting they took the time to stop by.

Parker's a tough kid with an edge, but also coachable, so he might be a program fit. He'll work in the weight room too. "I walked in the gym the other day and he had 225 on military press," said the coach. That's good for a player with his frame.

Oscar Giles and Todd Orlando are supposed to go see SOC play when Texas is on a bye next week. On tape he has a bit of Joseph Ossai to his game, along with the same wiry frame. If he's on that level, or close, it will be hard for the staff to not pursue. Often an in-person game scout by the coaches is really just a chance for face time, but Orlando wants to see him play and take stock of his frame.

Another name to file away is Myron Warren's teammate, Ni'Kendrick Carter. Carter's been hearing from Texas sporadically of late, but he's been given indications they're fond of him. He's also hearing from TCU, and probably even more so now (ha ha ha ha!), as well as Oklahoma State and Missouri. This is probably just the staff doing its diligence but I haven't seen Carter's film yet. He seems to play a lot of positions. At 6-foot-3, 230 pounds and versatile enough to play offense he might be a stud. Everyone is recruiting him for OLB.

RUNNING BACK

We know the staff will battle for the IMG tandem of Trey Sanders and Noah Cain until it feels like it's a waste of time, but there may come a point where it's time to hone in on a second running back take to pair with Derrian Brown.

Deondrick Glass is having a solid, 'I'm a volume back' kind of year, and there's a bit of renewed interest in the Katy runner. I mentioned liking what I saw when I watched him versus North Shore. He won't wow you, but he just keeps coming at defenses until he finally breaks one.

Texas touched base not too long ago for the first time in a long time.

Currently Glass is spying trips to Oklahoma State and Alabama. You may scoff at Glass being good enough for Alabama, but he hears from them every other day. They're going to lose some running backs after this year and apparently have genuine interest. I can see that being the case in a 'Montee Ball at Wisconsin' sort of way. Glass would do well there...if he was't recruited over.

As you know, I feel confident Trey Sanders is going to Alabama. If he does, that wouldn't phase the Glass' one bit. If nothing else, you have to admire the competitive nature.

It will be interesting to see what Texas does at the position.

CALEB JOHNSON

Fullerton College linebacker Caleb Johnson de-committed from Iowa State on Tuesday night. This is just a few days before he takes an official visit to Texas for the Baylor game.

The staff has prioritized him and I feel good about UT's chances of landing the potential plug-and-play 'backer.

Suchomel on Orangebloods reported that Johnson is red-shirting the rest of this season. This means he'll have three years at the four-year school of his choice.

With Texas losing Johnson and Wheeler, landing this Johnson makes perfect sense as a Rover. This would greatly bolster the depth chart at linebacker. Overshown might not be ready just yet, and DeGabriel Floyd should probably be a Mac.

The linebacker roster will be much better next year than this. How it shakes out is anyone's guess.

LADARIUS HENDERSON

Texas is doing a lot of evaluating to find the right offensive line targets. One name close to the top is Waxahachie offensive tackle Ladarius Henderson. He's 6-foot-4, 275 pounds, and only 16-years old. He has the look of a left tackle with his agility. What he's lacking -- punch and power -- are the easiest things to develop.

Said @Halas, who noted his age rather than grade: "He’s a good player. He has some body control stuff he needs to work on and he catches in pass pro more than he delivers a punch but if that kid is just a sophomore he’s going to be damn good."

The staff has kept tabs on Katy Taylor's Andrew Coker. He and Henderson couldn't be any more different. Do you want to build one up (Henderson) or reshape one (Coker). My buddy coached against Taylor recently and described Coker as slow. He'll require some time, but so to will Henderson.

Henderson's athleticism and youth makes this an easy call. Sam Cosmi looks like the LT of the future and there are options behind him. That gives Henderson all the time he needs to physically mature.

If Texas does offer they'll have to pry him from Arizona State.

This is the rich man's version of Kelvin Beachum from Mexia who ended up at SMU and has carved out a fine career in the NFL. If the mental evaluation checks out, and in my experience it usually does for kids who are young for their grade, go get him.

Plus it would be Javonne Shepherd insurance, even though they're different players.

JAVONNE SHEPHERD

This recruitment is yet again taking on a life of its own, exasperated by wall-to-wall coverage of visits and potential visits. This is what happens when recruits are constantly badgered.

We've always known he was planning on taking visits, including his officials. We've always known he was going to be a guy you have to recruit through the whistle. We said that even before he committed to Texas. We've known he's a guy Texas will want to get the last visit for.

Nothing has changed.

Tom Herman is personally involved, meaning it has as much attention as a staff can give a recruitment. If it doesn't work out, maybe they can just go find another Cosmi or Kerstetter.

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/10/open-post-wednesday-october-10th/

Father of Bru McCoy Says “Texas is Back”
– Super K

After the Red River Rivalry game I caught up with Horace McCoy, the father of 2019 5-star ATH, Bru McCoy. I asked him for his impressions on Texas and their performance.

Horace said, “Texas is back! Super impressed with their play on both sides of the ball. Coach Herman knows how to win!”.

I’ll be in California later this week to see among other players, Bru McCoy as Mater Dei takes on St. John Bosco. So, we plan on having plenty more on where Texas is in this race for McCoy.

Recruits Reactions to Red River Shootout
– Will Baizer

We’ve already given you the reactions from Texas’ main two targets (Bru McCoy and Trey Sanders) to Texas taking back the Golden Cowboy Hat.

Here are some more reactions from across Texas’ targets and commits.

2019 CB Marques Caldwell (Alvin, TX)

“Loved what I saw. It was an all-around team win. We worked together throughout the whole game. It wasn’t a one-sided offensive/defensive win. This was a TEAM win.”

2019 DE Peter Mpagi (Richmond, TX)

“OU SUCKS and that team is something special.”

2019 LB DeGabriel Floyd (Westlake, CA)

“It went exactly how I wanted it to.”

2020 OL Chad Lindberg (League City, TX)

“Awesome to see them win over what is likely to be their toughest in-conference game… Texas’s defense looked good for the most part. The offense was rolling and getting better each week.”

2020 WR Troy Omeire (Houston, TX)

“Everybody played their hearts out.”

2021 OT Reuben Fatheree (Richmond, TX)

“It was very exciting and getting better as the season goes on. Impressive win.”

2021 OT Hayden Conner (Katy, TX)

“The game was amazing. Major statement by the Horns. The line continues to step up. Really happy for Coach Hand.”

Javonne Shepherd Visiting TAMU | Quick-Hitter
– Super K

Spoke with a source close to Texas commit, Javonne Shepherd, and am told that Shepherd visited Texas A&M Monday.

I asked whether the visit was an indication of renewed interest in Texas A&M and was told, “He’s solid to Texas. He’s just going because he’s out of school and bored”.

– UPDATE: I was just told that Shepherd is planning to visit Texas this weekend when the Longhorns host Baylor. So getting him back on campus right after he visits Texas A&M is good news. – (Andrew)

Lewis Cine | Quick-Hitter
– Super K

Won’t come as a huge surprise to you all, but I’m hearing that Texas will not be the choice for 2019 4-star DB, Lewis Cine. Texas made it closer than I had originally expected them to, but it wasn’t quite enough.

4-Star ATH To Officially Visit Texas
– Andrew King

I spoke with Odessa Permian (TX) ATH Peyton Powell.

He told me he is going to be in Austin this weekend for an official visit. There was some speculation he was going to commit last week between TCU, Ohio State, and Oklahoma. Looks like Texas will get a shot here.

Powell is a guy that could end up at a number of spots in college. He plays QB at Permian, but could end up at QB, WR, or DB. He told me Texas is saying they’ll give him a shot at QB, which could be appealing to him.

2019 DL Myron Warren | Texas Offers | Decommits From TCU

– Charlie S

– 2019 DE Myron Warren, out of Many, LA, was offered by Texas Monday…

At the time he was offered, Myron was committed to TCU.

That has changed yesterday, as he tweeted out his decommitment from the Horned Frogs…

Warren is listed as 6’3″ and 230 lbs.

We are reaching out to Myron and sources around him and will bring you what we get!

4-Star DB Jalen Catalon | Quick Hitter
– Andrew King

Talked to a source regarding Mansfield Legacy (TX) S Jalen Catalon, here are some notes.

*** He’s taken his first two official visits to Oklahoma and Arkansas. He’s expected to visit Texas this weekend, but for an unofficial visit. Texas is trying their best to get him in for an official visit after the season, which I think is a smart move.

*** Everyone is talking about how him wanting to play baseball is going to have a huge impact on his decision. But I would pump the breaks on that statement. Especially after his season-ending knee injury, I think Catalon might be starting to realize he needs to prioritize one sport in college.

*** Everyone seems to be talking about this being a Texas-Arkansas battle. Obviously, Arkansas can sell early playing time over Texas after the Longhorns landed an elite DB class in 2018. I was told the Hogs staff is doing that. But I was also told Texas winning big on the field this year and Arkansas starting 1-5 is counteracting that.

*** TCU seems to be the school most people aren’t talking about when it comes to Catalon’s Final Four. But don’t sleep on the Horned Frogs. I was told last night “His [Jalen’s] parents always talk about how they love how the staff over there treats him.” I’m sure his parents wouldn’t mind him being right down the road from them either.

*** I truly sense that a decision hasn’t been made as Catalon is weighing all the pros and cons of his Final Four right now. I also think winning over his parents could be a key in this recruitment.

Caleb Johnson Decommits From Iowa State
– Charlie S

– 2019 JUCO outside linebacker Caleb Johnson has decommitted from Iowa State.

– Johnson, out of Fullerton College in Murrieta, CA, is scheduled to take an official visit to Texas this weekend

– Our Super K will be visiting him at practice on Thursday and will have much for you then!