Texas recruiting notes 2019

8 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Any possibility we will find a grad RB to help out?

The issue on the RB front is that there doesn’t seem to be anyone outthere for the taking that moves the needle.

I would be happy with a 1 year backup JAG for depth purposes, but realistically so far that dude isn’t in the portal at this point.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

The issue on the RB front is that there doesn’t seem to be anyone outthere for the taking that moves the needle.

I would be happy with a 1 year backup JAG for depth purposes, but realistically so far that dude isn’t in the portal at this point.

I'd kind of hope we're talking to Brandon Stephens as a backup option for that, but given how long it is until spring practices shakeouts happen, that might be a pipe dream.

2 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

We'll see how this shakes out.  There will probably be some guys who can GT who get beaten out by younger players in spring ball. 

Just now, texifornia said:

I'd kind of hope we're talking to Brandon Stephens as a backup option for that, but given how long it is until spring practices shakeouts happen, that might be a pipe dream.

I doubt the staff would move on a JAG like him before waiting to see if Feaster or anyone else enters the portal after Spring ball. If Stephens is still there and no one new enters, then it’s a possibility.

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I doubt the staff would move on a JAG like him before waiting to see if Feaster or anyone else enters the portal after Spring ball. If Stephens is still there and no one new enters, then it’s a possibility. 

Yeah, I really meant stringing him along through spring practice as a fallback in case Feaster or another good one doesn't work out. But there'll be other JAGs.

13 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I would take a look at Sihiem King out of Kentucky.  5.6 yards per carry in his career.  Redshirted last year as a senior and is in portal.

ttps://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/sihiem-king-1.html

^^^

He'd be a very good take. If he was a bit bigger he'd be getting a lot more attention.

Edited by satyanash

I am surprised we haven't at least publicly kicked the tires on a few of these guys. The fact that so many of them still haven't picked a school suggests they aren't in a rush to make a pick. Hopefully we are active behind the scenes and don't end up empty handed.

1 minute ago, rickyspub said:

I am surprised we haven't at least publicly kicked the tires on a few of these guys. The fact that so many of them still haven't picked a school suggests they aren't in a rush to make a pick. Hopefully we are active behind the scenes and don't end up empty handed.

Drayton's on the case!

tenor.gif

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Drayton's on the case!

tenor.gif

If the last recruiting class is any indication, he thinks he is getting Feaster and therefore there is no need to work alternate plans. Hopefully there are sane minds pushing other alternatives along the Tre 'Just good enough' Watson line.

7 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

Or it means the opportunities and demand they imagined would be out there hasn't materialized.

12 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

They are waiting for the Spring ball/practices/games to weed out the dispirited RBs who will be looking for greener pastures

This. I would see us waiting on Porter and Houston to make their departure official. If one of the two ends up staying, we will not need to explore this option. 

9 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

They are waiting for the Spring ball/practices/games to weed out the dispirited RBs who will be looking for greener pastures

That certainly seems to be the case. And if no one good comes out after the Spring and we didn't have better options already in play? Hopefully, we have no idea what is going on and the staff is courting several guys already. It wouldn't be the first time the 9.95ers were caught flatfooted. I'll be disappointed if we see guys like Stephens and King pick schools in the coming weeks.

2 minutes ago, TexasFan21 said:

This. I would see us waiting on Porter and Houston to make their departure official. If one of the two ends up staying, we will not need to explore this option. 

Has there been sight of either guy during winter workouts? I guess that could be a sign that we know what our baseline is.

38 minutes ago, TexasFan21 said:

LOL at the idea of either or both of those two guys staying alleviating our issues at RB. Do you REMEMBER Kyle Porter in games? If those two guys stay, we'll still need an actual running back. I'm not sure I've ever seen someone stare down wide open, just gaping fucking offensive line holes and still making only 2 yards.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, TexasFan21 said:

Porter and Houston aren't practicing with the team right??

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

LOL at the idea of either or both of those two guys staying alleviating our issues at RB. Do you REMEMBER Kyle Porter in games? If those two guys stay, we'll still need an actual running back. I'm not sure I've ever seen someone stare down wide open, just gaping fucking offensive line holes and still making only 2 yards.

I think Porter averaged 2.3 YPC during intramural flag season.

• Like 3

I wanted a grad transfer or a true RB1 even before Brown's medical issue, so now I think it is almost a necessity.

However, part of me wants to go into the season with what we have now.  The optimist in me sees Ingram becoming the feature back we all hope he can be, Young proving last year was a sophomore slump and proving to be a useful RB2 and short-yardage back, Johnson overcoming injuries and winning the Gaskamp award, and Whittington being the reincarnation of Ramonce Taylor.

If two or more of those situations come true we could have a special season. I wouldn't put any money on Johnson being able to stay healthy at RB, but he did seem to stay healthy on special teams. Maybe his injury problems are behind him, hopefully for at least one more season. Young wouldn't be the first to have a disappointing second season compared to productive seasons as a freshman, junior and senior. The term "sophomore slump" has been around for a while for good reason.

We really need at least two guys to play to their potential. The QB is always going to be an option to run in Herman's offense, but if we can get the RB room up to our standard they should take a lot of the running game responsibility from the QB. We want to run Sam (or any QB for that matter) as little as possible throughout the season to save him for the really important games.

If we can get two good players out of Ingram, Young, Johnson, and Whittington that would be great.

Adding a fifth player to the group through grad transfer would make finding two good RB's a more likely result though.

Can someone please post highlights of each of our 2019 skill players so that I can refresh myself on the incoming talent without having to go look for them myself? Feel free to post as individual post per player for better meta-data segregation.

7 minutes ago, dad said:

Can someone please post highlights of each of our 2019 skill players so that I can refresh myself on the incoming talent without having to go look for them myself? Feel free to post as individual post per player for better meta-data segregation.

Until what age did your mama wipe your ass?  

22 minutes ago, dad said:

I don't think you know what "meta-data [sic] segregation" means.

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I remember people defending him in droves after the 2016 season; "He was overworked during spring/summer practice! He wasn't playing at 100%!" bla bla bla. All you needed to do was watch the Kansas game, where he produced -2 yards on 2 carries while giving absolutely no relief to a beleaguered Foreman (51 carries for 250 yards) to realize he wasn't special. People got weirdly defensive because they didn't want to acknowledge how badly we botched RB recruiting in 2016 (Trayveon Williams, Kam Martin, Darius Anderson, and Devwah Whaley all belonged to the same in-state class and all were clearly much better than Porter in their freshman debuts).

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

how badly we botched RB recruiting in 2016 (Trayveon Williams, Kam Martin, Darius Anderson, and Devwah Whaley all belonged to the same in-state class and all were clearly much better than Porter in their freshman debuts).

All these backs have been pretty meh outside of Williams. 

Kam Martin hasn't had a 500 yard rushing season yet. Anderson is a good back but can't stay healthy. Whaley was drastically overrated. Porter ended up being trash but not sure how much better off we would be at RB with those other options outside of Williams. 

4 hours ago, Thiefery said:

People keep saying this but the last couple years almost all of the good options declared prior to spring ball. Hopefully the rise in transfers will lead to more guys moving, including Feaster.

4 hours ago, TexasFan21 said:

tenor.gif

36 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

All these backs have been pretty meh outside of Williams. 

Kam Martin hasn't had a 500 yard rushing season yet. Anderson is a good back but can't stay healthy. Whaley was drastically overrated. Porter ended up being trash but not sure how much better off we would be at RB with those other options outside of Williams. 

darius anderson is one hundred times better than kyle porter.  you fucking dipstick. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BornOrange said:

I wanted a grad transfer or a true RB1 even before Brown's medical issue, so now I think it is almost a necessity.

However, part of me wants to go into the season with what we have now.  The optimist in me sees Ingram becoming the feature back we all hope he can be, Young proving last year was a sophomore slump and proving to be a useful RB2 and short-yardage back, Johnson overcoming injuries and winning the Gaskamp award, and Whittington being the reincarnation of Ramonce Taylor.

If two or more of those situations come true we could have a special season. I wouldn't put any money on Johnson being able to stay healthy at RB, but he did seem to stay healthy on special teams. Maybe his injury problems are behind him, hopefully for at least one more season. Young wouldn't be the first to have a disappointing second season compared to productive seasons as a freshman, junior and senior. The term "sophomore slump" has been around for a while for good reason.

We really need at least two guys to play to their potential. The QB is always going to be an option to run in Herman's offense, but if we can get the RB room up to our standard they should take a lot of the running game responsibility from the QB. We want to run Sam (or any QB for that matter) as little as possible throughout the season to save him for the really important games.

If we can get two good players out of Ingram, Young, Johnson, and Whittington that would be great.

Adding a fifth player to the group through grad transfer would make finding two good RB's a more likely result though.

I think we will benefit from Johnson being 31 years old on his 10th season here and fresh legs having not played football since 2007 

Alex Dunlap (OB): JUCO OL Willie Tyler Will Need to Redshirt, And That's a Good Thing

Spoiler

Donald Hawkins once told me to never trust JUCO highlights because they don't tell the full story -- especially on the offensive line. The highlights don't tell the full story for anyone, though, it's not just JUCO players. But that wasn't what he meant - of course everyone knows that, when you're watching only the highlight plays selected by the player or whoever made the reel, you are seeing what they want you to see. That's why it's always important to watch the full games when possible. 

Again, this is nothing new. 

But, what Hawkins meant was slightly different: in conversations since he graduated, Hawkins always says the same thing about OL prospects coming out of junior college to D1: "It takes at least a year to get the JUCO out of you." Hawkins, said, early in the 2013 season (after a somewhat rocky first year at Texas in 2012), that there would be no switching up his technique anymore. Hawkins said, "Last season (straight out of JUCO), I kept changing things, trying to get comfortable for one game and this would work for me - but in the next game it didn't. So, it's a lot in changing my technique - but this year I've found something. I'm just gonna roll with it."

When you watch the video above of new Texas commit Willie Tyler (LT No.78), you'll see that he's actually a really nice prospect. To be totally honest, he doesn't really have any horrible reps all game long -- and this game was actually a "bowl game" (to the degree JUCOs have bowls?). Still, we can assume if it was considered a bowl game, that the competition, while still JUCO, was coached well enough and was presumably good enough as the sum of its parts to find itself playing postseason football. 

He has average feet but good enough balance to not seem balky. He doesn't move as well as Calvin Anderson does, but he's not a Marcus Hutchins robot, either. Sometimes with guys like that, you say that they're candidates to bump in to guard, but I think, until getting to see him live and in-person, that Tyler looks like a developmental OT prospect all the way. He's going to have trouble with pure speed rushers at the Big 12 level to start as he gets his feet underneath him, but the developmental upside Tyler possesses certainly makes him more than than a take at a spot like Texas. 

He has some length and enough agility to get to the second-level and execute tougher reach-blocks at the JUCO level. His motor seems good and he plays with a little edge and some nastiness. Two things you worry about in JUCO linemen are laziness (Desmond Harrison) and an inability between the ears to understand blocking concepts (Harrison, Brandon Hodges) and I don't see either of these issues as obvious concerns with Tyler. As mentioned, his motor is strong through the game and Suchomel has told us behind the scenes that he really likes Tyler as a sharp kid who follows up on his responsibilities and communicates well. 

I don't see any scenario outside of pure disaster in which Tyler doesn't redshirt at Texas in 2019. He has four years of eligibility to play three and that is what the pathway should be for a few reasons: First, Tyler, from all I can tell, really only played in two or three games at IWCC. If you read the local papers' coverage of the Reivers (what the hell is a Reiver?) you'll find that they were devastated by injury at the tackle spot by November of 2018, having lost their "top 3" OTs before having to insert a freshman in Tyler and a practice squad player who hadn't suited up for a game in his career to that point to face Butler CC. 

Plus, look what Texas has in the pipe along the offensive line. For the first time in what seems like forever, there is almost an overabundance of developmental OL in the pipe. That's what happens when you don't have to throw inexperienced offensive linemen right into the fire. And at this time, playing Tyler in 2019 would be just that. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, futureman said:

darius anderson is one hundred times better than kyle porter.  you fucking dipstick. 

Well duh. 

He's also injury-prone. Anderson has missed multiple games the last two seasons and he's still struggling with injuries. So much so that he's being held out of spring practices. There's no denying Anderson is talented but he can't stay healthy. 

I'm probably biting on the standard futureman troll though. 

• Like 1

Speaking of jersey numbers, Texas briefly put up the spring roster (and took it down quickly), but posters on other sites were able to catch a glimpse of it and view the early enrollees:

#1 DeGabriel Floyd LB 6-2 240 

#2 Roschon Johnson QB 6-2 215

#5 Bru McCoy WR 6-3 215

#13 Marcus Tillman, Jr. LB 6-1 235 

#18 Jared Wiley TE (no measurements)

#21 Jordan Whittington RB 6-1 215 

#30 Caleb Johnson LB 6-0 235

#36 Jacoby Jones DL 6-3 265

#45 Peter Mpagi DL 6-4 245 

#72 Tyler Johnson OL 6-6 315

Edited by Machinator