Texas recruiting notes 2019

Bobby Burton: Sunday afternoon

As many of you know, I rarely post comments on the weekends outside of football season. But the commitment of Georgia Tech transfer Parker Braun to Texas this afternoon raised me from my slumber. Braun is not just any starting offensive lineman. He’s a first-team all-ACC selection at offensive guard.We all know how much Calvin Anderson helped the Horns a year ago. Yet Calvin was just third-team All-CUSA before coming to Texas.

It’s hard to fathom Texas getting a transfer of this quality. Of course there’s a reason for that. It’s never happened before, at least not to my knowledge. Braun gives the Horns’ OL three certain starters, to go along with Sam Cosmi and Zach Shackelford. A unit that before today looked like it could be promising but questionable, now looks like it will almost assuredly be a team strength. Braun doubles the number of first-team all-conference selections returning to the team for 2019. Caden Sterns on defense is the only other.

With the commitment of Braun, and the offer to juco lineman Willie Tyler earlier this week, it just goes to show how committed the Horns are to improving the team’s talent level by just about every means available to them. That paid dividends last year - imaging Texas without Anderson, Tre Watson and juco LB Gary Johnson. And it should pay dividends yet again this year.

3 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

Now we need to find a RB2 to split reps with Ingram and then we are set 

Yep, but we also need a TE to step up and a WR to replace LJH. Hopefully, one of the new WRs (Jake) can help create space.

5 hours ago, Viper said:

Braun is a run blocking machine who's coming to Austin to hone his pass blocking skills for the next level.  He's already got the agility and footwork to stay in front of an interior pass rusher; he needs to work on his pass pro technique.  Looked good the few times he did it at GT but who knows how much was the surprise factor.

2 hours ago, Auto Driller said:

Do we have any offers out to grad transfer RB?

I know this is wishful thinking, but I still am hoping for something out of Kirk Johnson before he leaves the 40 acres. He really showed flashes of greatness in the one game I saw him in early in his career. Last year he played special teams and did well, maybe he’s fully healthy this season. Hoping for a Gaskamp award.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SuckitKevin said:

I know this is wishful thinking, but I still am hoping for something out of Kirk Johnson before he leaves the 40 acres. He really showed flashes of greatness in the one game I saw him in early in his career. Last year he played special teams and did well, maybe he’s fully healthy this season. Hoping for a Gaskamp award.

Why do this to yourself?

IT on Braun

PARKER BRAUN

It wasn't shocking, but it was a bit surprising that Georgia Tech graduate transfer Parker Braun committed to Texas before departing for home. 

Texas getting the commitment from him is testament to the immediate action taken by Herb Hand to get in the Braun's good graces. As we reported, Hand was on the phone with Parker before Parker's parents even knew he was officially in the Portal (they knew he intended to transfer). Hand told him he'd see him soon and was on a plane two days later. Lunch in Atlanta opened up serious dialogue and ensured an official visit. The official visit was obviously knocked out of the park. 

What goes on during an official visit? Well, when an offensive lineman is involved you can bet on food. Parker was treated to authentic Austin fare, with BBQ and a visit to The Picnic food truck park. He was even made an omelette by resident chef Hand. 

While the food was great, the meat of the visit included academic and strength and conditioning programs. The visit with Yancy McKnight needed to be a slam dunk and it was.

With Braun slated to arrive in the early summer, the question now on everybody's mind is whether he'll play in 2019 or red-shirt in order to acclimate to the change in offense. Per sources it sounds like Parker prefers to red-shirt, however, if he's needed to start he likely will play. What does that mean? I'd bet on him playing next season. 

Another question is whether or not the staff will pursue his younger brother Joshua? Joshua is a high rated, 6-foot-6, 330-pound offensive tackle in the 2020 class. He reveres his older brother and will hear all about Texas. 

Joshua, like Parker, is very smart. He also plays *checks notes* varsity tennis. Could the younger Braun serve as insurance in the event Texas misses on one of its priorities?

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

While the food was great, the meat of the visit included academic and strength and conditioning programs. The visit with Yancy McKnight needed to be a slam dunk and it was.

It's crazy how the IT guys can follow an absolutely fantastic sentence like the first one with a pointless banality like the second.

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I'm guessing Willie Tyler is on deck.

Tyler would make sense if we are taking 2 (Proctor hasnt been offered IIRC). Or could be a 2020, Kimber? Broughton? Hopefully Lindberg hated stanford so much he decided to pull the trigger

11 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I'm guessing Willie Tyler is on deck.

Wonder if we'll still go after Proctor if Braun is indeed redshirting. I still have a hard time believing we'd redshirt Braun considering he'd likely be one of our 5 best OL next year, but if he really wants it and we had to tell him we'd give him a RS to get him here, then he's still worth it. If he really is RS'ing, then I'm not sure why we haven't offered and taken Proctor yet. 

I said I felt like I was taking crazy pills with all that OL stuff, but apparently, I'm just crazy.

Edited by Burt Macklin

Just now, RGBIII said:

Tyler would make sense if we are taking 2 (Proctor hasnt been offered IIRC). Or could be a 2020, Kimber? Broughton? Hopefully Lindberg hated stanford so much he decided to pull the trigger

You know how I know you haven't read any updates but just skipped to the end of the thread?

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You know how I know you haven't read any updates but just skipped to the end of the thread?

I read the IT post earlier and his moms quote, I just choose to remain blissfully ignorant on tree stealing any more offensive lineman from us

8 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I would assume we still go after a grad transfer at RB. Right now we have Ingram and...nobody. 

Young is a warm body, Johnson is a medical nope. Whittington will help but if Ingram goes down, we are fucked. 

We need a GT RB 

I'm sure we will if a decent one pops up. I know there was that small school kid, but there doesn't appear to be much so far.

Based on this list last from last year, it looks like there were only about 3 RBs that upgraded schools. Most of the transfers were dropping down for playing time. Of that list, Watson is about the only guy who made any type of significant impact, so there may not end up being anyone worth taking, or at least not someone who should get a significant amount of carries. 

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I'm sure we will if a decent one pops up. I know there was that small school kid, but there doesn't appear to be much so far.

Based on this list last from last year, it looks like there were only about 3 RBs that upgraded schools. Most of the transfers were dropping down for playing time. Of that list, Watson is about the only guy who made any type of significant impact, so there may not end up being anyone worth taking, or at least not someone who should get a significant amount of carries. 

Elijah Ibitokun-Hanks, out of Albany - doesn't seem to have any visits set up yet: http://www.ualbanysports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=15800&ATCLID=210176854

If Braun wants to redshirt and if Willie Tyler is in, that gives us 8 games they could play in this season while they both still redshirt. That probably means Kerstetter would really need to take a big step this year and I'm not sure that's possible. But Braun redshirting and sticking around for 2 years could also be a boost if there's mutual interest with recruiting his younger brother. 

Just now, Chopper said:

If Braun wants to redshirt and if Willie Tyler is in, that gives us 8 games they could play in this season while they both still redshirt. That probably means Kerstetter would really need to take a big step this year and I'm not sure that's possible. But Braun redshirting and sticking around for 2 years could also be a boost if there's mutual interest with recruiting his younger brother. 

I don't really think we want Tyler playing in any games this year. He's huge and naturally strong, but he needs the full Yancy/Hand experience.

Edited by texifornia