Texas recruiting notes 2019

9 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

i mean, whatever makes you feel better about jogging around town with runny shit down your leg.

I don’t run marathons. I don’t run for leisure, or exercise at all. I prefer not to shit myself, which, as I stated earlier, is one of many reasons not to run a marathon. But the literal shit-posting has inched us ever closer to the magical 1000 page milestone. It’s the least I could contribute to this disaster of a thread. 

Were there any great quotes from this recruiting cycle? I miss me some Willie:

During the wait, several of the female hosts, nicknamed the ''Tigerettes," offered him some of their spinach dip.

''You know how it is, those girls are supposed to be there to cheer you up,'' Williams said. "But I told them, 'I ain't no animal, and I ain't going to eat no plant.'

"But they kept pushing it toward me. It was disgusting. I told them, 'I'm from Miami. I don't eat that. You farm people are used to it, but not me.'"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

1,000 is really not seeming worth it right about now. How bout we all just agree to reserve our last 19 pages for offseason practice updates and Bobby Burton posts? 

In the interest of having this thread actually be worth clicking in the future, which would be for the purpose of gathering any belated 2019 news, I've just started reporting stupidity when it appears. Otherwise, yeah, the fucking thread is worthless. The last 10+ pages are mostly pure trash for the stupid idiotic bullshit of 1000 pages. 

4 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Sounds like they were considering taking two though 

Don’t think so. You’ll almost never see 2 quality GTs at the same spot. They wanted the best chance at getting one good one, which is why they likely won’t take Proctor until Braun decides.

Now, if we could get Braun and then Proctor’s still willing to come, I’m sure they’d take him but that seems pretty unlikely. Proctor has plenty of other good schools after him. 

5 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Don’t think so. You’ll almost never see 2 quality GTs at the same spot. They wanted the best chance at getting one good one, which is why they likely won’t take Proctor until Braun decides.

Now, if we could get Braun and then Proctor’s still willing to come, I’m sure they’d take him but that seems pretty unlikely. Proctor has plenty of other good schools after him. 

You know we only have 3 returning starters on the OL.  After that it’s Okafor and RS/true freshmen.  We can take two.  Sell one as an OT and one as a OG.

These guys want to play and play for championships or big time bowl games and really there is only about 10-15 other schools that can believably sell that right now (11 that played in NY6 bowls last year OU, Clemson, Bama, tOSU, UF, UGA, LSU, UW, UM, ND plus Oregon, PSU, Auburn and Miami who have some offseason hype).

Its possible that some of the GTs will want to play closer to home, with a position coach that has switched schools, or in a destination city (LA, Miami, etc); but the vast majority are going to go to one of the schools listed above.

And without going through rosters I can’t imagine too many schools will be as attractive to OL as Texas.  We return our QB, leading rusher, 2 of our top 3 WRs and 3 starters on the OL from a team that finished 2nd to a team that had the Heisman winner and decisively beatdown the SEC #2 in the Sugar Bowl.  Outside of the 2 teams that played for the national championship, I can’t think of another place that could sound more attractive.

45 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

You know we only have 3 returning starters on the OL.  After that it’s Okafor and RS/true freshmen.  We can take two.  Sell one as an OT and one as a OG.

These guys want to play and play for championships or big time bowl games and really there is only about 10-15 other schools that can believably sell that right now (11 that played in NY6 bowls last year OU, Clemson, Bama, tOSU, UF, UGA, LSU, UW, UM, ND plus Oregon, PSU, Auburn and Miami who have some offseason hype).

Its possible that some of the GTs will want to play closer to home, with a position coach that has switched schools, or in a destination city (LA, Miami, etc); but the vast majority are going to go to one of the schools listed above.

And without going through rosters I can’t imagine too many schools will be as attractive to OL as Texas.  We return our QB, leading rusher, 2 of our top 3 WRs and 3 starters on the OL from a team that finished 2nd to a team that had the Heisman winner and decisively beatdown the SEC #2 in the Sugar Bowl.  Outside of the 2 teams that played for the national championship, I can’t think of another place that could sound more attractive.

Go look at the schools offering them. There’s plenty of big time schools after them. 

Also, you can’t sell either of those guys at OT. They’re both guard all the way. You saying that just shows how little you’ve paid attention. Not to mention you’re sell about winning is silly. First and foremost, GTs what guaranteed playing time.

and while we have two open G spots, a GT wants a wide open position grouping and we don’t have that for Proctor if Braun is in and locks up on of those spots. These guys care way less about winning than being guaranteed a chance to start and improve their draft stock, which can be done at a multitude of schools.

15 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Go look at the schools offering them. There’s plenty of big time schools after them. 

Also, you can’t sell either of those guys at OT. They’re both guard all the way. You saying that just shows how little you’ve paid attention. Not to mention you’re sell about winning is silly. First and foremost, GTs what guaranteed playing time.

and while we have two open G spots, a GT wants a wide open position grouping and we don’t have that for Proctor if Braun is in and locks up on of those spots. These guys care way less about winning than being guaranteed a chance to start and improve their draft stock, which can be done at a multitude of schools.

Dude, Braun is 280lbs and has great feet.  He could be an OT.  The biggest concern on him will be his pass pro when he’s alone on the end but you absolutely can make him an OT or be honest with him that they have 3 starters and 2 free spots and they’d like to see where he’d fit best because he might be a better OT than Kerstetter once he gets on campus.

Still even if you discount that and assume both GTs are guards how does that change anything that I said.  We’d still have 2 spots because at this point we’d be banking on Kerstetter/Cosmi at OT and have 2 gaping holes at OG.

And yes, Ohio State has offered every fucking GT we’re interested in and Proctor is visiting them this weekend after they already locked up Jackson, so let’s not act like it’s impossible.  Unlikely sure, but again not too many people will be able to sell the same opportunity Texas can.

6 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Dude, Braun is 280lbs and has great feet.  He could be an OT.  The biggest concern on him will be his pass pro when he’s alone on the end but you absolutely can make him an OT or be honest with him that they have 3 starters and 2 free spots and they’d like to see where he’d fit best because he might be a better OT than Kerstetter once he gets on campus.

Still even if you discount that and assume both GTs are guards how does that change anything that I said.  We’d still have 2 spots because at this point we’d be banking on Kerstetter/Cosmi at OT and have 2 gaping holes at OG.

And yes, Ohio State has offered every fucking GT we’re interested in and Proctor is visiting them this weekend after they already locked up Jackson, so let’s not act like it’s impossible.  Unlikely sure, but again not too many people will be able to sell the same opportunity Texas can.

Lol. Idk what the fuck you’re talking about anymore.

Braun can’t play OT. End of discussion.

and I already said like 10 posts up that the staff would probably take Proctor second if they could but it’s very unlikely, which is exactly what you’re now saying. 

• Like 2

Pretty sure Braun is on the record saying he sees the value in cross training at center for the NFL. I feel like that isnt a guy getting reps at OT. And that he knows that. 

I will say this little exercise forced me to imagine Terrell Cuney taking snaps a LT and that gave me the Lolz/Cries. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

48 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Pretty sure Braun is on the record saying he sees the value in cross training at center for the NFL. I feel like that isnt a guy getting reps at OT. And that he knows that. 

I will say this little exercise forced me to imagine Terrell Cuney taking snaps a LT and that gave me the Lolz/Cries. 

If Hand tried to sell Braun on playing OT he would immediately call whoever the fuck is UF’s OL coach and commit on the spot.

9 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

280 lbs isn't the relevant metric.  Braun is listed at 6'3" and might be a bit shorter than that.  Since his objective is to GT and show his abilities for the NFL you need to ask how many 6'2 to 6'3" OTs there are in the pros.

19 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

280 lbs isn't the relevant metric.  Braun is listed at 6'3" and might be a bit shorter than that.  Since his objective is to GT and show his abilities for the NFL you need to ask how many 6'2 to 6'3" OTs there are in the pros.

He want to play in the NFL.  The NFL has a lot of film on him at OG already.  Hand was known at Auburn for moving guys around all over the line in order to make the best unit.  If Braun came in and played OT for us that could really help his draft stock.

You’re correct that he won’t be a OT in the NFL but moving a college OT inside is common, because typically your OT is the best athlete on your line that can move the best.  By playing a year as an OT in a pass heavy league would help alleviate a lot of concerns scouts might have about him.

• Fuck You 5

He want to play in the NFL.  The NFL has a lot of film on him at OG already.  Hand was known at Auburn for moving guys around all over the line in order to make the best unit.  If Braun came in and played OT for us that could really help his draft stock.
You’re correct that he won’t be a OT in the NFL but moving a college OT inside is common, because typically your OT is the best athlete on your line that can move the best.  By playing a year as an OT in a pass heavy league would help alleviate a lot of concerns scouts might have about him.

You are wrong. Move on.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

If Braun wants to show useful flexibility in position, he should get some snaps at Center, not OT.  He is not physically precluded from playing C in the NFL.  And as @Machinatorjust pointed out, he needs to show ability as a pass blocker.  Braun can have a long career in the NFL as a G/C and Texas can help him get there, especially if the pass pro in 2019 is at or near 2018 levels.

• Like 1

Just now, rickyspub said:

Speaking of actual GT tackles, what happened with Richmond at Tenn? I asked a few pages back and no answer, so I am guessing the talk from the 9.95ers that we were strongly engaged was a fabrication. I want to say one article even said we were the front runner.

That came out of his camp. He might just be down the totem pole and angling for a visit.

1 minute ago, rickyspub said:

Speaking of actual GT tackles, what happened with Richmond at Tenn? I asked a few pages back and no answer, so I am guessing the talk from the 9.95ers that we were strongly engaged was a fabrication. I want to say one article even said we were the front runner.

One of the 9.95ers (Nahlin, I think?) doesn't think he's a take.

1 hour ago, TKthunder2 said:

Don't listen to the haters, man. I think you're really onto something here. If the guy wants to show how versatile he is, he should absolutely spend time putting reps on film playing a position that both he and every other single NFL team on the planet knows he will never play in the league. Why get reps at a possible position, center, in a pass heavy league, when he can do it at OT where he will probably look like shit and hurt as opposed to help his draft stock even further? This is the kind of outside the box thinking that those current dinosaurs in the NFL just don't seem be willing to embrace. In fact, lets take this a step further to it's logical conclusion. If the knock on Kyler Murray has been both his size, toughness, and willingness to take a hit, what he really should have done to help his draft stock was line up at TE and show just how versatile he of a player he can be, right? 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

I’m pretty sure the answer is that he’s just not that good. I mean FSU is interested in every OL with two feet and at least one hand thanks to Jimbo’s stellar management of the OL depth chart, yet they haven’t offered. 

On another note, I’m sure FSU’s current OL is no reason for aggy to worry. They’ll be just fine.

this-is-fine-oc-32441321.png

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Haha 1