Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

5 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I love Craig, but I would limit the tight head shots. 

Close up cell phone and computer cameras do funny things to a person's face, but that being said...

I totally agree with you. I actually didn't have a clue who this was when I first saw the photo. His voice is distinctive, but I guess that the last time I saw him on camera was 30 pounds ago (and maybe 10 to 13 years ago). He looks... up...

Yep, this should be the last time he looks down at a tiny lens. (Or at least it should be.)

I love the way that they are finishing off the class post signing day with OL and maybe a potential RB all the while grabbing the OL talent for 2020.

I would love to see us keep grading on OL a year from the transfer portal for both year and next. 

In many ways the portal allows the rich to get richer. Do we really think that we would know, and thus be able to recruit those kids on the down low, all these available OL under the old system?

2 hours ago, DeweyCox said:

I’m probably going to spend all day wondering what the hell this means. (Or at least I probably will.)

1) Looking DOWN makes one’s face & neck much fatter that looking straight ahead. Looking UP makes one’s face & neck look the thinnest. 

2) A small lens tends to produce a fish-eye effect to objects close to the lens, which makes one’s face appear more round than it actually is. 

3) Combine “1)” and “2)” and you look bloated and pretty much like “a face made for radio”.

IT on RJ Proctor

RJ PROCTOR

With UT's eyes on the transfer portal, they look to be in the market for a veteran o-lineman to stabilize a young, budding offensive front. Virginia's RJ Proctor took an official visit this weekend and got a chance to meet a man he's long looked up to; Herb Hand.
“It went really well, said Proctor. “I didn’t know what to expect but it exceeded expectations.”

What stood out about UT to the 6-foot-4, 326-pound offensive lineman from Virginia?

“Honestly everything,” Proctor remarked. “The food, the unity (they move as one ), the weight room, the culture, the hospitality, the city and coach Hand, of course. His techniques are one of a kind.”

Entering the NCAA Portal as a graduate transfer has its positives, and Proctor realizes he’ll have a big decision to make over the next few months. Ohio State and Oklahoma are the next visits for Proctor, but leaving Austin without an offer didn’t deter his admiration for Texas.

“I know I’m anxious but excited,” said Proctor. “I love the school for sure and I have connections with a lot of the players. I definitely got that vibe. But i’m grown and I know how the business works. We’ll see what happens.”

With Parker Braun set to visit soon, you can add Rutgers’ Jonah Jackson to that list. He’ll likely make the trip during spring practice.

Texas is in a great position here; they can kick the tires and size up the traveling o-linemen looking for a final season to prepare them for the league.

On 2/1/2019 at 11:17 AM, BigVegasHorn26 said:

Anyone know why the family moved to Florida from Hallsville?

SIAP,

They moved to Hallsville from Florida and were only in Hallsville a couple of years.

Parker Braun followed his older brother to GT. Braun played with a nastiness in high school that was not always appreciated by East Texas fans as he played outside of the "sportsmanship rules".

Was hoping that they would stay in Hallsville so I could watch the young one coming through. He was    huge. As an 8th grader he was the biggest kid in the entire football program. I believe he was also playing AAU basketball.

Both would be a great get for the Texas program.

I remember a quote during the peak Mack Brown era:

"Texas doesn't recruit.  They select."

It was never literally true; there was always a lot of work involved.  But that was a reasonable approximation of the final product.  It almost seems like the program is getting back to those days.  Recruits talk again about the family atmosphere of the program and this time I feel confident the coaches are going to put the players in position to succeed in each game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sushihorn said:

I remember a quote during the peak Mack Brown era:

"Texas doesn't recruit.  They select."

It was never literally true; there was always a lot of work involved.  But that was a reasonable approximation of the final product.  It almost seems like the program is getting back to those days.  Recruits talk again about the family atmosphere of the program and this time I feel confident the coaches are going to put the players in position to succeed in each game.

This is a great summary of where my dream is overlapping with my observation. Thanks 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Seeing how 2020 OL recruiting is going, I’ll be surprised if we offer Tyler at all since he won’t be ready to play next year, but we’ll see.

I'm pretty sure Tyler is graduating in May so he'd be ready to go for summer/fall and would have 3 years of eligibility left. It's going to be interesting for sure, but I can see where he'd fit. He's not your average JUCO rental. If the staff thinks he can push Urquidez, Ghirmai, or Okafor on the 2-deep he'd provide some nice depth/insurance while our 2018/2019 guys physically mature. 

35 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I'm pretty sure Tyler is graduating in May so he'd be ready to go for summer/fall and would have 3 years of eligibility left. It's going to be interesting for sure, but I can see where he'd fit. He's not your average JUCO rental. If the staff thinks he can push Urquidez, Ghirmai, or Okafor on the 2-deep he'd provide some nice depth/insurance while our 2018/2019 guys physically mature. 

I guess. He seems pretty raw to me and I’d be shocked if he were ready to play next year. My thought is with us landing 3 of our priority targets in 2020 and looking good for Lindberg this early I’m not sure if the staff would want him too. 

Do you want 2020 recruits playing on the OL in 2020? Of course not and probably not in 2021 either, so if the staff thinks Tyler could be a contributor in either of those years he still might be a take. He should be compared to Moore, Ghirmai, and Jones in terms of timelines. 2020 OL shouldn't even really enter the equation.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

Exactly.  If Herb Hand is looking for depth guys, none of the GTs is likely to willingly accept that role since they've only got 1 season to strut their stuff.  I suspect one of the GT OGs is slated to start.  As things stand, Tope Imade looks like the only non-freshman backup.  If there are 2 GTs ready to commit that Hand likes, then Kerstetter can also backup at multiple positions.  If only 1 is a take, start DK and bring Tyler in as an experienced reserve for his first season.

Edited by sushihorn

14 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Do you want 2020 recruits playing on the OL in 2020? Of course not and probably not in 2021 either, so if the staff thinks Tyler could be a contributor in either of those years he still might be a take. He should be compared to Moore, Ghirmai, and Jones in terms of timelines. 2020 OL shouldn't even really enter the equation.

Lulz. This was a ridiculous setup of self-serving questions. Tyler won’t be depth in 2019 and we don’t really need extra depth help in 2020. 

He’s Relevant to the 2020 guys in terms of numbers. We have limited scholarships and are also looking to take a class of 5 OL in 2020. My point is, I’d much prefer all the 2020 guys over him. I doubt he’ll provide depth in 2019. He’s literally played OL for all of one year. 

by 2020 we’ll have Cosmi, Kerstetter, Moore, Jones, Johnson, Shepherd and Hookfin all as OTs with at least one year in the program, just like Tyler. My point is, Tyler’s not some experienced guy ready to play. He’s much more akin to HS prospect than a two year JUCO or GT because he’s played OL for one season in his entire life. I’d rather use the spot for 2020 HS prospects

Lulz. This was a ridiculous setup of self-serving questions. Tyler won’t be depth in 2019 and we don’t really need extra depth help in 2020. 
He’s Relevant to the 2020 guys in terms of numbers. We have limited scholarships and are also looking to take a class of 5 OL in 2020. My point is, I’d much prefer all the 2020 guys over him. I doubt he’ll provide depth in 2019. He’s literally played OL for all of one year. 
by 2020 we’ll have Cosmi, Kerstetter, Moore, Jones, Johnson, Shepherd and Hookfin all as OTs with at least one year in the program, just like Tyler. My point is, Tyler’s not some experienced guy ready to play. He’s much more akin to HS prospect than a two year JUCO or GT because he’s played OL for one season in his entire life. I’d rather use the spot for 2020 HS prospects
It was one question and your sensitivity kept you from seeing the point. 2020 OL should have absolutely nothing to do with the Tyler decision. They are 2 years apart.
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:
30 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Read more  

It was one question and your sensitivity kept you from seeing the point. 2020 OL should have absolutely nothing to do with the Tyler decision. They are 2 years apart.

That’s completely incorrect. Your first post was a complete straw man by saying we’d need a 2020 recruit to play right away. We’ll have healthy depth by then and won’t need Tyler or a 2020 recruit by then. Not to mention, I’d rather look for a GT in 2020 over having Tyler if we somehow got to that spot.

We’re being capped by scholarship numbers in 2020, so Tyler takes away a spot in what looks to be the highest quality class Herman will land at UT up until now. 

Second, like I mentioned, Tyler has played OL one year in his whole life. He’s not equivalent to a 2018 recruit. Tyler Johnson will be ready to play way before him. Hell, Lindberg could end up being more advanced than him and ready to play by 2021. 

Point is, the argument for Tyler would be that we’ll need his experience by 2020, but we’ll have a healthy two drop without him by 2020, and it doesn’t seem worth it to take a spot from the 2020 class for him.

13 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

We’re being capped by scholarship numbers in 2020, so Tyler takes away a spot in what looks to be the highest quality class Herman will land at UT up until now. 

False. We are not capped by numbers in 2020. People keep saying it, but it's simply not true. We are going to take 23-27 and are taking 5 OL. Tyler's potential schollie has ZERO impact on offers and numbers for a 2020 OL recruit. None. It does have implications for Urquidez, Okafor, Ghirmai, Imade. 

Second, like I mentioned, Tyler has played OL one year in his whole life. 

I know the point you are trying to make here but instead you are making a case in Tyler's favor for this staff. 

but we’ll have a healthy two drop without him by 2020

Look at the 2-deep and project it out. Hudson is gone. There are 2-3 guys on campus right now who are pretty likely candidates for the portal, imho. Not just because of their lack of playing time and/or impact on the depth chart but because they are going to be graduating and prime candidates to grad transfer. Urquidez, Imade, Okafor will all likely graduate before their "SR" year. Those guys were all taken by the previous staff for a different brand of football and with different expectations. They also have seen this staff take these guys ... 

Johnson - Shepherd - Angilau - Hookfin - Kerstetter - Moore - Cosmi - Ghirmai - Jones -  (*Cummins*)  

So between the possibility of starting elsewhere, FSU for example where all 3 would start and would play in a Briles offense, along with the infusion of a different level of talent/athlete you can see why I'd wait until after spring to declare the depth chart healthy and deep for 2020. 

You keep talking about the impact Tyler would have on the 2020 guys but what you are not understanding is that he'd be a take into the 2019 class and is essentially bolstering the light 2017 class that only saw Kerstetter and Cosmi taken on the OL. Herman and staff weren't going to take some bodies just to take them (think Barton Clement, etc) but they are trying to make sure that depth is never an issue. 

Finally, there are a few staffs in the country and that are incredibly good at identifying talent at different levels/positions (Clemson, Utah, Texas for instance) and outside of perhaps Clemson no staff has done a better job in evaluating and identifying jumbo athletes. 

Tyler left without an offer and perhaps he never gets one, but there are several reasons why I understand the take and his schollie has no impact on numbers for 2020. 

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

False. We are not capped by numbers in 2020. People keep saying it, but it's simply not true. We are going to take 23-27 and are taking 5 OL. Tyler's potential schollie has ZERO impact on offers and numbers for a 2020 OL recruit. None. It does have implications for Urquidez, Okafor, Ghirmai, Imade. 

I know the point you are trying to make here but instead you are making a case in Tyler's favor for this staff. 

Look at the 2-deep and project it out. Hudson is gone. There are 2-3 guys on campus right now who are pretty likely candidates for the portal, imho. Not just because of their lack of playing time and/or impact on the depth chart but because they are going to be graduating and prime candidates to grad transfer. Urquidez, Imade, Okafor will all likely graduate before their "SR" year. Those guys were all taken by the previous staff for a different brand of football and with different expectations. They also have seen this staff take these guys ... 

Johnson - Shepherd - Angilau - Hookfin - Kerstetter - Moore - Cosmi - Ghirmai - Jones -  (*Cummins*)  

So between the possibility of starting elsewhere, FSU for example where all 3 would start and would play in a Briles offense, along with the infusion of a different level of talent/athlete you can see why I'd wait until after spring to declare the depth chart healthy and deep for 2020. 

You keep talking about the impact Tyler would have on the 2020 guys but what you are not understanding is that he'd be a take into the 2019 class and is essentially bolstering the light 2017 class that only saw Kerstetter and Cosmi taken on the OL. Herman and staff weren't going to take some bodies just to take them (think Barton Clement, etc) but they are trying to make sure that depth is never an issue. 

Finally, there are a few staffs in the country and that are incredibly good at identifying talent at different levels/positions (Clemson, Utah, Texas for instance) and outside of perhaps Clemson no staff has done a better job in evaluating and identifying jumbo athletes. 

Tyler left without an offer and perhaps he never gets one, but there are several reasons why I understand the take and his schollie has no impact on numbers for 2020. 

Disagree. Staff wants some open numbers for transfers each year, so he will impact how many we take in 2020. All the guys you mentioned are guards and outside of Okafor, aren’t expected to contribute to the two deep much already. Tyler would really struggle to move inside, so OT is the only relevant position and we’ve done wel there the last three years. We’re gonna have a scholarship crunch for the next few years because Herman has all his guys in here, so attrition will decrease.

regardless, my original point is that he won’t provide depth for 2019 and I like our current guys plus the chance of a grad transfer in 2020 over locking up three years for this guy. This all stems from my opinion that’s tyler’s just not that good. He’s a guy we would’ve desperately wanted two years ago, but our OL is in a much healthier spot now.  

The staff only showing interest when they thought they missed on Hookfin and while Shepherd was up in the air, plus not offering Tyler and saying they’re waiting to see what happens with GTs seems to confirm this. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Disagree. Staff wants some open numbers for transfers each year, so he will impact how many we take in 2020. 

We are taking 5 OL for 2020 and attrition will dictate the number for transfers. We are not going to be in a numbers crunch. 

All the guys you mentioned are guards and outside of Okafor, aren’t expected to contribute to the two deep much already.

Okafor has only played OT and is probably one of our more experienced OT and would be a severe hit to the 2-deep. 

We’re gonna have a scholarship crunch for the next few years because Herman has all his guys in here, so attrition will decrease.

This staff is honest with players, to a fault, and the portal has created a very different reality for roster management and we are bringing in more talented guys in the younger classes. Between those three things there's no way that I'd make the assumption that attrition will decrease. I get that this staff will have brought these guys in from a culture fit standpoint, but as Texas continues to stack top 5 classes there will be a natural and consistent attrition regardless of talent level/cultural fit, etc ... guys want to play. 

This all stems from my opinion that’s tyler’s just not that good.

This is really the problem and the root of all of your concerns. He doesn't have an offer so until he does it makes no difference but I will say that this staff has done a tremendous job of identifying jumbo athletes ....  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

1. Okafor has only played OT and is probably one of our more experienced OT and would be a severe hit to the 2-deep. 

2. This is really the problem and the root of all of your concerns. He doesn't have an offer so until he does it makes no difference but I will say that this staff has done a tremendous job of identifying jumbo athletes ....  

1. I never said otherwise, though I do expect him to play guard this year. Also, he’s only eligible in 2019, so he has nothing to do with Tyler at all, because again, Tyler won’t be ready to play in 2019 regardless.

2. I don’t have any concern. I just don’t think Tyler’s worth an offer. Agree on the jumbo athlete thing, but so far their behavior indicates Tyler’s not some diamond in the rough. He looks more like he was a potential fallback when 2/3 of our 2019 OTs were question marks and the GT market hadn’t materialized yet. 

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

1. I never said otherwise, though I do expect him to play guard this year. Also, he’s only eligible in 2019, so he has nothing to do with Tyler at all, because again, Tyler won’t be ready to play in 2019 regardless.

Pretty sure Okafor RS'ed in 2018.  Should be a RS Jr for 2019.

1 hour ago, maninblack said:

As it stands today we could take 25 and only be at 89 scholarships in 2020. I think 4 players leaving between now and August of 2020 is likely.

Numbers predictions have always gone so well for you in the past. On a completely unrelated note, when did you change your avatar back?

I don’t actually disagree with you on our final number of signees much if at all, but that sure is  a weird way of saying we have room for 21 right now. lulz.

I’m not sure if that number’s currently accurate but regardless, I’d rather take a 6th 2020 OL or really a recruit at any position in 2020 over Tyler. He’ll take a spot for 3 years (thereby impacting numbers for the 2021 class too) but won’t be ready to play til 2020 at best, and by then I’d bet we have a better guy on the roster or a 2020/21 GT that would start over him. 

Anyways, as committed as I am to the march to 1,000, this conversation is pretty much just going in circles at this point.

Edited by Burt Macklin

28 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Numbers predictions have always gone so well for you in the past. On a completely unrelated note, when did you change your avatar back?

I don’t actually disagree with you on our final number of signees much if at all, but that sure is  a weird way of saying we have room for 21 right now. lulz.

I’m not sure if that number’s currently accurate but regardless, I’d rather take a 6th 2020 OL or really a recruit at any position in 2020 over Tyler. He’ll take a spot for 3 years (thereby impacting numbers for the 2021 class too) but won’t be ready to play til 2020 at best, and by then I’d bet we have a better guy on the roster or a 2020/21 GT that would start over him. 

Anyways, as committed as I am to the march to 1,000, this conversation is pretty much just going in circles at this point.

It wasn't a prediction. I was confirming golfclap's point that we're not in a numbers crunch. The day after signing day.

41 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

Huh that was quick.  Anyway, do we have any interest in Tatum?

The ou kid? I highly doubt it. If he couldn't start on that abortion of a defense at cock sucker u, I can't see him ever starting here. Or maybe he was just unhappy, but I doubt Riley would sign off on him transferring here. 

2 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

The ou kid? I highly doubt it. If he couldn't start on that abortion of a defense at cock sucker u, I can't see him ever starting here. Or maybe he was just unhappy, but I doubt Riley would sign off on him transferring here. 

Yeah, Riley wouldn't want him spilling all of those secrets that made the Sooner Defense so successf...

...screw it.  I can't type that with a straight face.

• Like 1