Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

25 minutes ago, campcrunk said:

1) I think he did, but I'm not 100%.

2a) I'm not sure.

2b and 3) I think the biggest issue is that Herman is a HUGE fan of Beck. I get some of it - decent hands, good blocker, ran some solid routes, but I certainly don't love his game as much as Herman.

why even try to answer the questions, if you have no idea what you're talking about?

1.) Brewer didn't get a RS.  He played in almost every game.

2.) Leitao played on special teams and got a few snaps here/there on offense.

3.) We ran 2 TE sets every game.  The second TE was Brewer, if we actually brought a second TE on the field.  We often motioned LJH or CJ in to act as a second TE, though.  We also used D. Young as a second TE numerous times.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Beck had a really good Shrine Game week. I posted some stuff about it in this thread.

Also, Cade Brewer did not redshirt.

I regret that thread title... I figured it'd be a thread for laughing at all the BS Mock Drafts conjured up by various sports bloggers. Instead it became the catch-all thread for anything draft-related.

I find it odd that so many are worrying about getting a grad transfer DL when we have more proven depth there than TE. (Especially when our luck with TE's staying healthy is worse than Chip Brown's luck in Vegas.) Brewer had his moments as a freshman but who knows if he even has Beck's upside. Everyone else is unproven and young. It seems like the prime position to get a hungry senior looking for a lot of minutes. It certainly isn't as dire as RB, but TEs are similar to OL in that they are usually most effective when seasoned for a few years. Maybe there are no options on the portal or more hopefully the coaches like what they have seen of Brewer, Leitao and Epps (do I even mention Cummins?) in practice and don't think it necessary. To me it is the biggest question mark we have on offense going into next season.

Edited by rickyspub

Just now, rickyspub said:

I find it odd that so many are worrying about getting a grad transfer DL when we have more proven depth there than TE. (Especially when our luck with TE's staying healthy is worse than Chip Brown's luck in Vegas.) Brewer had his moments as a freshman but who knows if he even has Beck's upside. Everyone else is unproven and young. It seems like the prime position to get a hungry senior looking for a lot of minutes. It certainly isn't as dire as RB, but TEs are similar to OL in that they are usually most effective when seasoned for a few years. Maybe there are no options on the portal but hopefully coaches like what they have seen of Brewer, Leitao and Epps (do I even mention Cummins?) in practice and don't think it necessary. To me it is the biggest question mark we have on offense going into next season.

You're more on the right track mentioning Cummins vs. Epps. Epps is going to be a pure WR based on the reports this season.

19 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

I find it odd that so many are worrying about getting a grad transfer DL when we have more proven depth there than TE. (Especially when our luck with TE's staying healthy is worse than Chip Brown's luck in Vegas.) Brewer had his moments as a freshman but who knows if he even has Beck's upside. Everyone else is unproven and young. It seems like the prime position to get a hungry senior looking for a lot of minutes. It certainly isn't as dire as RB, but TEs are similar to OL in that they are usually most effective when seasoned for a few years. Maybe there are no options on the portal or more hopefully the coaches like what they have seen of Brewer, Leitao and Epps (do I even mention Cummins?) in practice and don't think it necessary. To me it is the biggest question mark we have on offense going into next season.

Not many teams have a good TE. The ones that do usually utilize them, so the odds of finding somone better than Brewer/Leitao are pretty low. Also, I really wouldn't hate it if we were forced to play more 4 WR considering how stacked our wr room is at this point.

28 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Brewer and leito will be 3rd year players next year. How much more seasoning do you want?

The point is that they aren't especially proven and Brewer is only an upperclassmen because we didn't have the luxury of redshirting him. It wasn't like there was a real 2-deep at TE this season with Brewer recovering from injury. Leitao didn't play a snap at the position. I haven't heard much buzz about any of the returning TEs. At least on the OL there was talk that Imade, Angilau, and Jones are making moves. Hit on 2 of those and the OL could be decent even without a GT, assuming they stay healthy. We are set at QB and WR and while our RB room is thin, Ingram is a proven plus asset.

I hope the position works out with the current roster, it is normal for there to be an unknown when a proven senior leaves the team. I am just pointing out that for all the handwringing about who we should be chasing as a grad transfer, including positions that have some proven depth like DL, TE is a position of potential concern that no one wants to talk about.

1 hour ago, campcrunk said:

1) I think he did, but I'm not 100%.

2a) I'm not sure.

2b and 3) I think the biggest issue is that Herman is a HUGE fan of Beck. I get some of it - decent hands, good blocker, ran some solid routes, but I certainly don't love his game as much as Herman.

Also, Herman has made it clear that he's absolutely in love with 11 personnel. I don't recall seeing any two TE sets last season, but that doesn't mean they didn't happen. Just that, if we did run them, it wasn't often.

With that in mind, I think Herman was very reluctant to take Beck off the field. He's a coach who had a player he trusted implicitly who was a solid fit in the scheme he wants to run. We've seen it before with some guys who maybe didn't deserve that level of faith (see: Muschamp, Will and Gideon, Blake; Strong, Charlie and Haines, Dylan; Brown, Mack and any number of terrible OLs), so at least Herman put his faith in a guy who could play a little bit. With that in mind, I've read that a number of people behind the scenes are really enamored with Brewer - they just don't trust his blocking yet. I'm optimistic that he'll get there because we know he can catch and run. With Leitao, I thought I remembered that he had kind of the opposite issue - decent blocker with some ball issues? Maybe I'm imagining that though. Hopefully, both of the young TEs turn the corner. Otherwise, Liebrock should be able to handle all that stuff in a year or two, maybe even sooner.

I'm sure it's already been said but I'm still catching up.

Leitao was on almost every field goal blocking unit and on kickoff coverage (I'm pretty sure he was called for the first penalty of the season against Maryland, a holding). I assume he was on punt coverage too but there's not a close enough camera angle to show all the players.

I thought Beck was tremendous last season. He had four or five clutch third down catches for us and was a great blocker. Could easily see him as a TE3 in the NFL, slowly working his way into a productive player. 

There were some two-TE in goal line situations, but Sam hardly ever passed in it.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Not many teams have a good TE. The ones that do usually utilize them, so the odds of finding somone better than Brewer/Leitao are pretty low. Also, I really wouldn't hate it if we were forced to play more 4 WR considering how stacked our wr room is at this point.

Oh you'll see it plenty, even 5 wide. It'll still be out of 11 personnel, tho. 

18 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

The point is that they aren't especially proven and Brewer is only an upperclassmen because we didn't have the luxury of redshirting him. It wasn't like there was a real 2-deep at TE this season with Brewer recovering from injury. Leitao didn't play a snap at the position. I haven't heard much buzz about any of the returning TEs. At least on the OL there was talk that Imade, Angilau, and Jones are making moves. Hit on 2 of those and the OL could be decent even without a GT, assuming they stay healthy. We are set at QB and WR and while our RB room is thin, Ingram is a proven plus asset.

I hope the position works out with the current roster, it is normal for there to be an unknown when a proven senior leaves the team. I am just pointing out that for all the handwringing about who we should be chasing as a grad transfer, including positions that have some proven depth like DL, TE is a position of potential concern that no one wants to talk about.

If there was a quality option, I bet the staff would show interest but it doesn’t look like there is. 

https://gradtransfertracker.com/potential-transfers-2019/

Heres a list of all open grad transfers, there’s like 4 TEs on there and they were all backups on worse teams. So far, there’s nobody out there that’s better than what we have.

Edited by Burt Macklin

The premise that Beck is potentially going somewhere in the draft or will even make a practice squad is odd to me. His hands were okay. His speed is okay. His size is okay. His mental approach is okay (he had multiple penalties). His injury history is putrid. Outside of Herman being a big fan of the guy, what is there to motivate a roster spot?

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The premise that Beck is potentially going somewhere in the draft or will even make a practice squad is odd to me. His hands were okay. His speed is okay. His size is okay. His mental approach is okay (he had multiple penalties). His injury history is putrid. Outside of Herman being a big fan of the guy, what is there to motivate a roster spot?

I don’t get it, either. People have said he’s a good blocker. He was alright. He’s nowhere near Swaim as a blocker and doesn’t do anything else well. I’m not seeing it. At best, I think he could hang around on a couple practice squads for a year or two.

Herman’s comments were just a way to reward a guy who bought in and persevered through the transition. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think we were all so jaded by not having a TE for so long that he seemed "really, really" good. I'd love for him to make at least make a practice squad and have a shot.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

And he didn’t get a combine invite. 

39 minutes ago, Tired of Lurking said:

I'm sure it's already been said but I'm still catching up.

Leitao was on almost every field goal blocking unit and on kickoff coverage (I'm pretty sure he was called for the first penalty of the season against Maryland, a holding). I assume he was on punt coverage too but there's not a close enough camera angle to show all the players.

I thought Beck was tremendous last season. He had four or five clutch third down catches for us and was a great blocker. Could easily see him as a TE3 in the NFL, slowly working his way into a productive player. 

There were some two-TE in goal line situations, but Sam hardly ever passed in it.

The best part of Beck’s game was his attitude and leadership.  The dude never backed down and came to each game ready to fight.  I instantly grew to like him when the jackasses at KSU tried to warm up on our side of the field during pregame, then they tried their “come at me bro” shit to him.  His response is what we needed in a leader.  He was just like fuck it, lets go bitches.  If allowed to he would have broke one of those pansies.

37 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think he has a shot at a practice squad simply because the NFL uses TEs at a much higher rate than colleges still, so there are fewer people for more roles.

Kind of like the reason there are so many garbage left-handed pitchers in the major leagues.

42 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Well, he’s probably a first rounder now that CTJ has given his opinion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

I don't think @LTtxfan was suggesting it so much as saying that if things got so dire that we were moving players from other positions to play RB, Foster would play before Floyd (and I agree with that).

Well, Christian Jones is a former soccer player, so I’d probably move him there first. After that, I bet Wilbon could do a pretty good Refrigerator Perry impersonation. And then we could move Sam to RB and have Thompson take over at QB, if we got really desperate.

59 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Foster would get RB reps before Floyd.

Bru, Smith and Whittington would and will all get reps before either of them so congrats. 

Unless you were planning on those 3 already getting reps. 

In which case, how many players are suffering season ending injuries in this scenario?