Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

1 hour ago, Katfid54 said:

That's just like your opinion, man.

Irrationally vituperative posts in response to grammar or typographical errors are my favorite ongoing bit on this site.

I love that you took the time to edit this.  trying so hard with your thesaurus.  A for effort, fatass. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Butch Had Not said:

At what point do taking grad transfers on the offensive line start to alienate the guys we actually have on the roster? Are they all able to see the big picture enough to realize their time will come?

Herman did it last year exactly right.  He brought in Anderson and had him running with the 2s.  Then as Fall camp progressed, Anderson earned his spot with the 1s.  If you’re a RS-SO and playing with the 1s at the beginning of Fall camp and get beat out by the grad transfer then it’s hard to complain but if it’s just handed to the grad transfer people will complain.  I imagine we’ll hear the same story this year.  If you’re a RS-JR and get beat out then you likely will finish the season and grad transfer next year anyways so we’re only truly worrying about RS-SO and up. I assume with Shack, Cosmi, Kerstetter penciled in as starters we’re only really “worried” about Okafor (if he can’t start this year then why worry), Hudson (currently taking time away from football), and JP (looks like jag anyways).  Seems like the perfect time look bring in a GT if you ask me.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

SIAP, but what were Roschon's stats for the past two seasons? They're usually on maxpreps, but he doesn't have any listed. Anyway, I really only want to know his completion percentages.

Scroll to bottom of page.

https://247sports.com/Player/Roschon-Johnson-93572/

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Herman did it last year exactly right.  He brought in Anderson and had him running with the 2s.  Then as Fall camp progressed, Anderson earned his spot with the 1s.  If you’re a RS-SO and playing with the 1s at the beginning of Fall camp and get beat out by the grad transfer then it’s hard to complain but if it’s just handed to the grad transfer people will complain.  I imagine we’ll hear the same story this year.  If you’re a RS-JR and get beat out then you likely will finish the season and grad transfer next year anyways so we’re only truly worrying about RS-SO and up. I assume with Shack, Cosmi, Kerstetter penciled in as starters we’re only really “worried” about Okafor (if he can’t start this year then why worry), Hudson (currently taking time away from football), and JP (looks like jag anyways).  Seems like the perfect time look bring in a GT if you ask me.

giphy.gif

12 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

Do we want Proctor now or do we want Braun to drop first and then move from there? I know there is talk we would take both, but I thought Braun was our #1.

Seems like he is. Not sure if Proctor would even be a guaranteed starter like Braun would be. I believe they would definitely take both

33 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Proctor still has other visits scheduled. He's not going to shut it down and commit right away so I don't think we need to worry about this. 

Such has an update and it seems like I'm a little wrong here. Looks like we killed it with Proctor. However, he and the JUCO Tyler don't have formal offers yet. Tyler will commit if offered and Proctor will trim his visit list if we do.

They're waiting on Braun to offer so it definitely sounds like he's #1 on the board. 

7 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Such has an update and it seems like I'm a little wrong here. Looks like we killed it with Proctor. However, he and the JUCO Tyler don't have formal offers yet. Tyler will commit if offered and Proctor will trim his visit list if we do.

They're waiting on Braun to offer so it definitely sounds like he's #1 on the board. 

Spoiler

Both are wrapping up their visits today.

Proctor, the grad transfer out of Virginia, is about to fly out in the next 30 minutes or so. He tells me he had had a great visit overall. He'll hit Ohio State, Oklahoma, Florida State and Houston in the coming weeks (in that order).

I'll try to catch up with Proctor tonight or on Monday, but it sounds like Texas made a strong impression this weekend.

JUCO OL Willie Tyler told me yesterday his visit was going really well. No offer yet from what I can gather but I'll keep an eye on that one. His parents are both with him on the trip and as I've mentioned previously, if Texas does offer, it wouldn't be a shock for Tyler to make a quick commitment.

Like Proctor, I'll try to track down Tyler when he has more time for a detailed report, but he did tell me it's been a very good visit.

Noon update - Okay, I was able to track down both players before they caught their flights home.

Some highlights ...

RJ Proctor said it was a great visit overall and he loved it from the second he touched down on Friday and it was 89 degrees.

"Everyone here is really close, really friendly. It feels good coming to another place and feeling like it’s home," Proctor said. "All the players are really close. It’s kind of like an upgraded version of Virginia. Texas football is just something different. People don’t take it lightly here. They were telling me some history, how they had like 105,000 people at a game. That’s just crazy. I would love to play in a place like that."

Proctor was hosted by Christian Jones and Denzel Okafor.

Of note, Proctor said he hasn't been told that he has an official offer yet. It's my understanding after talking to both him and Tyler that the coaches are going to wait until Parker Braun visits in a couple weeks before deciding which offers will be extended. If Texas does offer, Proctor said he liked his visit so much that he might alter his plans to take four other visits. If he gets the UT offer, he may talk to his parents about his options (they were both on the visit this weekend) and he could possibly take another visit or two, but he won't take four.

Willie Tyler said his visit was great and he got a home feel from it. He really connected with the coaches and players. He was hosted by a few guys ... Christian Jones, Tyler Johnson and Junior Angilau.

No formal offer yet ... he was told the staff will let him know on that after they have Parker Braun and one other OL visit on the weekend of March 1 (need to figure out who the second one is, but Tyler was told two guys will be in town that weekend). If Texas offers Tyler, this one is done.

"I would definitely jump at it immediately," Tyler said. "I feel like no weight room program can compete with theirs. It would be great players all around me, so I would obviously get better whether I redshirt or come in and play. I just feel like that the O-line chemistry, it’s not like that at every school. Some schools have groups, at Texas there’s a bond, there's no separation at all between the players."

12:50 p.m. update - FYI, Tennessee grad transfer Drew Richmond told me he's not visiting Texas March 1, so the second visitor (if there is one) has to be someone else.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Braun’s definitely #1. I doubt we’d take Proctor before Braun decides.

6 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:
  Hide contents

Both are wrapping up their visits today.

Proctor, the grad transfer out of Virginia, is about to fly out in the next 30 minutes or so. He tells me he had had a great visit overall. He'll hit Ohio State, Oklahoma, Florida State and Houston in the coming weeks (in that order).

I'll try to catch up with Proctor tonight or on Monday, but it sounds like Texas made a strong impression this weekend.

JUCO OL Willie Tyler told me yesterday his visit was going really well. No offer yet from what I can gather but I'll keep an eye on that one. His parents are both with him on the trip and as I've mentioned previously, if Texas does offer, it wouldn't be a shock for Tyler to make a quick commitment.

Like Proctor, I'll try to track down Tyler when he has more time for a detailed report, but he did tell me it's been a very good visit.

Noon update - Okay, I was able to track down both players before they caught their flights home.

Some highlights ...

RJ Proctor said it was a great visit overall and he loved it from the second he touched down on Friday and it was 89 degrees.

"Everyone here is really close, really friendly. It feels good coming to another place and feeling like it’s home," Proctor said. "All the players are really close. It’s kind of like an upgraded version of Virginia. Texas football is just something different. People don’t take it lightly here. They were telling me some history, how they had like 105,000 people at a game. That’s just crazy. I would love to play in a place like that."

Proctor was hosted by Christian Jones and Denzel Okafor.

Of note, Proctor said he hasn't been told that he has an official offer yet. It's my understanding after talking to both him and Tyler that the coaches are going to wait until Parker Braun visits in a couple weeks before deciding which offers will be extended. If Texas does offer, Proctor said he liked his visit so much that he might alter his plans to take four other visits. If he gets the UT offer, he may talk to his parents about his options (they were both on the visit this weekend) and he could possibly take another visit or two, but he won't take four.

Willie Tyler said his visit was great and he got a home feel from it. He really connected with the coaches and players. He was hosted by a few guys ... Christian Jones, Tyler Johnson and Junior Angilau.

No formal offer yet ... he was told the staff will let him know on that after they have Parker Braun and one other OL visit on the weekend of March 1 (need to figure out who the second one is, but Tyler was told two guys will be in town that weekend). If Texas offers Tyler, this one is done.

"I would definitely jump at it immediately," Tyler said. "I feel like no weight room program can compete with theirs. It would be great players all around me, so I would obviously get better whether I redshirt or come in and play. I just feel like that the O-line chemistry, it’s not like that at every school. Some schools have groups, at Texas there’s a bond, there's no separation at all between the players."

12:50 p.m. update - FYI, Tennessee grad transfer Drew Richmond told me he's not visiting Texas March 1, so the second visitor (if there is one) has to be someone else.

I think somebody else reported Jonah Jackson the Rutgers GT was visiting March 1

• Fuck You 1

"I would definitely jump at it immediately," Tyler said. "I feel like no weight room program can compete with theirs. It would be great players all around me, so I would obviously get better whether I redshirt or come in and play. I just feel like that the O-line chemistry, it’s not like that at every school. Some schools have groups, at Texas there’s a bond, there's no separation at all between the players."

it’s nice to read that.  how’s his tape?  I like this kid already.