Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

18 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

This seems odd, because his name was (reportedly) never entered in the database of players who had signed LOIs and that was why Texas kept recruiting him. 

Mother reports stated that he only signed financial aid papers, but not an LOI. 

I don’t even know who to believe anymore. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/report-usc-releases-five-star-2019-signee-bru-mccoy-from-nli/ar-BBSJpcH

After weeks worth of speculation, it was reported Thursday that prized 2019 signee Bru McCoy was mulling a transfer from USC to Texas; it was subsequently confirmed that the wide receiver’s name is now listed in the NCAA transfer database.  A day later, it’s now being reported that USC has granted McCoy a release from his National Letter of Intent, which the prospect signed last December.

1 minute ago, Katfid54 said:

Dennis is inaccurate there.  Early signing day had no bearing on this.  The issue of the waiver would have still existed if he had just been an early enrollee prior to early signing day.

22 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Swaim had one high ceiling tool - his blocking capability. Guys get drafted late in every draft in every sport because they have one easily identified high ceiling tool. Beck has zero high ceiling tools besides "want to" or "moxie", and guys don't get drafted because of an intangible high ceiling tool unless their name is Tim Tebow.

If Jason Vander Laan can get signed by the Panthers, then Beck certainly can. 

Edited by CB'sGotMeLit

55 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

Its not the first time its happened.  I believe the pertinent information for the NCAA is the documented date that the school received it.

There is a limited time to file (two weeks?), but it doesn't have to be filed during signing period, only the fax receipt (or postmark) needs that date.

Just now, texifornia said:

tOSU is supposed to lead for Jonah Jackson, who's probably the pick of the GT litter, so I wonder if they'd take both.

I doubt it, but I’m not really sure what state their OL is in at the moment. 

I’d be happy if we got Proctor, but I’d view him more as depth or a guy you start if absolutely none of the young guys develop. If Proctor was still starting by the end of the season for us next year, it probably wouldn’t be a very good sign.

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

I doubt it, but I’m not really sure what state their OL is in at the moment. 

I’d be happy if we got Proctor, but I’d view him more as depth or a guy you start if absolutely none of the young guys develop. If Proctor was still starting by the end of the season for us next year, it probably wouldn’t be a very good sign.

Proctor would start at guard. He would not be a depth guy. 

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Proctor would start at guard. He would not be a depth guy. 

He’s a mauler, but he’s got horrible feet and he was never even a full time starter at UVA. He’s not a great fit for our blocking scheme.  I could definitely see him being a starter to open the year but I would hope one of the young guys could pass him up by year’s end. Maybe he would stay as our 5th best OL for the year, but that’s about his ceiling.

either way, I’d be happy to get him if we miss on Braun because he’d provide depth at a minimum, but I’d hope we can get to the point where guys like him aren’t starters by year’s end. At a minimum by 2020. 

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/02/open-post-weekend-february-15th-17th/

Grad Transfer & JUCO Offensive Linemen Visiting
– Charlie S

*** As we mentioned previously, Virginia grad transfer RJ Proctor will be taking his official visit to Austin this weekend. I touched base with Proctor this morning and he confirmed he will be in Austin this weekend.

Proctor (6’4/335) saw the field for all 13 of UVA’s games during the 2018 season. He started five of those, three at right guard, two at left guard. The versatile lineman will be eligible to play immediately in 2019 as a graduate transfer.

Proctor has interest in Ohio State and Florida State and following his visit to Texas this weekend, he will visit OU on March 8th and should have a decision soon thereafter.

Willie Tyler’s Background | A Commitment Possibility
– Super K

*** JUCO Willie Tyler (Iowa Western CC) will be in Austin as well this weekend.

Tyler has an interesting story. He was a defensive lineman in high school who came out in the 2017 class. He went off to play defensive line at Garden City Community College in Kansas. But after growing two inches right out of high school, he was flipped to offensive line.

Tyler decided, immediately, to leave Garden City and didn’t play football that first fall. In the spring he went to Iowa Western where he not only came to terms with playing offensive line but decided it was time to really take his God given abilities seriously.

“My mentality changed. In high school I didn’t really take things as seriously as I should have. But I started listening to the people back home telling me about all the gifts and ability I had.”

This led Tyler to buckle down in school. On a normal two year track to graduate from Iowa Western he would be a December 2019 graduate. He made his mind, however, that he would finish earlier.

”I wanted to finish really fast. So, I stacked classes and set it up where I can finish in three semesters instead of four”.

This is, perhaps, the biggest reason Tyler has gone under the radar. It seems schools are only now beginning to find out that the 6’7 330 lb left tackle is going to be available to enroll somewhere this summer.

Recruiting

In his short recruitment, Tyler has, thus far, only take one official visit which was to Louisiana Tech. Tech offered Tyler while he was on the visit.

His relationship with Texas began back in December in some ways by mistake.

”Jake Langi started talking me on twitter. He liked my film and he said he was going to talk to the staff about me. The thing is, he thought because I was a December grad that I was about to graduate right then. Then when he realized I was supposed to graduate next December he said we need to slow things down”.

But then, when it became clear that Tyler would be able to graduate in May, Texas’ offensive line coach, Herb Hand started communicating with Tyler.

Tyler says coach Hand came out to see Tyler this past January.

Wherever Tyler ends up, he’ll have plenty of time to play. He will have four years to play three.

I asked Tyler, should Texas offer this weekend if a commitment was possible.

”If it has that at home feeling, I feel like I would definitely commit. I feel like nothing is set in stone there at the tackle spot. I know they have their right tackle but their left tackle left. I think there is an opportunity there for me to win a spot”.

Notebook | Finn
– Super K

*** Earlier this week Texas quietly hosted 2019 WR, Finnegan Corwin (Highland Park). Finn is a teammate of Prince Dorbah.

Finn is an incredible slot wide receiver that, for some reason, didn’t pick up offers. But a number of programs seem to believe he can come in as a PWO and earn a spot.

I’ve seen him play basketball and been out to a football game as well. I described him to Charlie as a cartoon-like player. He’s doing things instinctively and athletically that make opponents look silly.

Slot guys need to have a good sense of space in traffic and know how to adjust their routes. He does just that.

Lincoln Riley at OU and Chad Morris at Arkansas have been personally recruiting Corwin.

He’s already taken his visit to both OU and Arkansas. He took his visit to Texas yesterday and will announce his decision soon.

Before the Texas visit, it seemed a forgone conclusion that he’d en up at OU or Arkansas. He has siblings that go to OU. His quarterback at Highland Park is the son of coach Chad Morris.

But the Texas visit surprised him, “I had a blast. It was fun I wasn’t really expecting that”.

On his decision timeline, Finn says, “I’ll probably take a week to soak everything in; make sure I’m making the right decision in what best fits me”.

Corwin is the type of player who could legitimately earn a spot. I think coaches in the area are realizing it and are recruiting him like any other scholarship player.

Take a look for yourself… https://www.hudl.com/video/3/7932125/5c08300c042886177076d7e5

Edited by Machinator

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

”If it has that at home feeling, I feel like I would definitely commit. I feel like nothing is set in stone there at the tackle spot. I know they have their right tackle but their left tackle left. I think there is an opportunity there for me to win a spot”. 

Notebook | Finn
– Super K 

*** Earlier this week Texas quietly hosted 2019 WR, Finnegan Corwin (Highland Park). Finn is a teammate of Prince Dorbah. 

Finn is an incredible slot wide receiver that, for some reason, didn’t pick up offers. But a number of programs seem to believe he can come in as a PWO and earn a spot.

I’ve seen him play basketball and been out to a football game as well. I described him to Charlie as a cartoon-like player. He’s doing things instinctively and athletically that make opponents look silly. 

Slot guys need to have a good sense of space in traffic and know how to adjust their routes. He does just that.

Lincoln Riley at OU and Chad Morris at Arkansas have been personally recruiting Corwin. 

He’s already taken his visit to both OU and Arkansas. He took his visit to Texas yesterday and will announce his decision soon.

Before the Texas visit, it seemed a forgone conclusion that he’d en up at OU or Arkansas. He has siblings that go to OU. His quarterback at Highland Park is the son of coach Chad Morris. 

But the Texas visit surprised him, “I had a blast. It was fun I wasn’t really expecting that”.

On his decision timeline, Finn says, “I’ll probably take a week to soak everything in; make sure I’m making the right decision in what best fits me”.

Corwin is the type of player who could legitimately earn a spot. I think coaches in the area are realizing it and are recruiting him like any other scholarship player. 

Take a look for yourself… https://www.hudl.com/video/3/7932125/5c08300c042886177076d7e5 

I'm so woke on this PWO-candidate that I guess you can call me Finnegan's Wake.

Edited by Katfid54

IT on Proctor and Tyler

OL RJ Proctor, Virginia grad transfer: At 6-foot-4, 326, Proctor suffered a knee injury last fall and missed the season opener. He did start six games including the Belk Bowl victory over South Carolina. Proctor is looking for the basics: Specific culture, starting job, and opportunity to play in the NFL. He "loves everything about coach Hand." "We talk fundamentals all the time," said Proctor. "I got introduced to his technique my junior season and have been using it ever since. Smart guy, good coach, and better person. He knows the game," Proctor gushed about the Texas OL coach. He'll see Oklahoma, Ohio State, and Florida State over the next few months. But his focus is on Texas this weekend. We believe Texas would take Proctor and Parker Braun if they can get them. Braun would be a sure-fire starter and Procter would likely start as well.

OL Willie Tyler, Iowa Western C.C: The 6-foot-7, 330-pound project from Iowa Western via Racine, WS has four years to play three and seems more like a contingency for how the grad transfer market shakes out or potential surprise attrition later in the spring.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Butch Had Not said:

At what point do taking grad transfers on the offensive line start to alienate the guys we actually have on the roster? Are they all able to see the big picture enough to realize their time will come?

There is some of that, and you have to manage that expectation especially with the guys you want to keep around. The transfer portal makes that harder these days. At the same time, you are assuming those younger guys in development are starting to develop, have bought in, doing well, etc. I say that as projecting good OL from HS is one of the harder tasks to do. So while yes, you want to be 100% on evaluations, and the guys you picked have bought into the big picture, you also have guys on the roster wasting a spot. Either the eval was wrong, they weren’t willing to put in the work, whatever. Mack used to have tons of these on the OL, and it eventually caught up to him. So you bring in grad transfers to supplement those guys and ask those guys to find a better school fit for them. 

Again with the transfer portal, managing a roster is going to be a little tougher, but will also provide some easy help. 

4 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

There is some of that, and you have to manage that expectation especially with the guys you want to keep around. The transfer portal makes that harder these days. At the same time, you are assuming those younger guys in development are starting to develop, have bought in, doing well, etc. I say that as projecting good OL from HS is one of the harder tasks to do. So while yes, you want to be 100% on evaluations, and the guys you picked have bought into the big picture, you also have guys on the roster wasting a spot. Either the eval was wrong, they weren’t willing to put in the work, whatever. Mack used to have tons of these on the OL, and it eventually caught up to him. So you bring in grad transfers to supplement those guys and ask those guys to find a better school fit for them. 

Again with the transfer portal, managing a roster is going to be a little tougher, but will also provide some easy help. 

It could become a serious issue in 2020 when Herman's first full recruiting class are RS sophomores.  No one reasonably expects RS freshmen to become starters on the OL and true freshmen are not an issue with OL now RS'ing as a matter of course.  If Herman continues to bring in a single grad transfer per year it's hard for me to see this being a big problem.