Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

7 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Bobby Burton: Friday

Hide contents

It reminds me of what LSU S&C coach Tommy Moffitt has done so successfully for so long. Not only does McKnight get along with players, but he also demands things of his players in a way where they want to get better. He also dilligently tracks their improvement over time so they can see how their bodies have changed over time.

Moffitt is the constant in the LSU program. They've had plenty of shitty coaches and shitty schemes over the last ~15 or so years, but he is the weapon that has kept them competitive in spite of everything else.

7 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Bobby Burton: Friday

Hide contents

Some quick notes on the newcomers that I picked up...

- Bru McCoy has been "tremendous". Of all newcomers, he is the one who came in most prepared for the college grind.

- I'm told juco transfer Jacoby Jones has already put on 15 pounds since getting on campus.

- I'm told offensive lineman Tyler Johnson "tested well". No specifics were mentioned, unfortunately.

- Jordan Whittington's quickness has surprised coaches and players alike. "What's the word? He's subtle, that's it. He doesn't make these big moves or anything, it's just zoom and he's gone," I was told. I was also told watching him do the cone drill is "silly" and that was meant in a good way.

- De'Gabriel Floyd and Roschon Johnson are two others who are said to have taken well to college ball both physically and mentally thus far.

- Marcus Tillman is just getting started in the weight room. "You can just tell he hasn't been in the weight room like some (of the others) yet," I was told. Before people take that as a bad thing, remember that that actually means there may be even more upside to Tillman than initially thought if he takes to conditioning as hoped.

Something that is perhaps one of the two or three most impressive aspects of the entire Texas program right now is Yancy McKnight's strength and conditioning program. McKnight is building up some very good prospects and making them even better. Charles Omenihu is a great example. So are Sam Cosmi and even Ta'Quon Graham. McKnight's work even improved the lower-body strength of LJ Humphrey last year, helping LJ shirk more open-field tackles than ever.

But what makes McKnight different? After all, isn't that what every strength and conditioning coach is supposed to do? For me, it's the accountability he demands, and this goes well beyond the yelling and screaming typical of most S&C coaches. It reminds me of what LSU S&C coach Tommy Moffitt has done so successfully for so long. Not only does McKnight get along with players, but he also demands things of his players in a way where they want to get better. He also dilligently tracks their improvement over time so they can see how their bodies have changed over time.

Look, I'm a big fan of what Texas has done in recruiting the last couple of years. But I'm just as big a fan, if not more, of what they are doing in the S&C program right now. It is a difference maker. Texas isn't producing a bunch of sloppy offensive and defensive linemen these days.

Peak fucking Burton right here: “

“He doesn't make these big moves or anything, it's just zoom and he's gone," I was told. I was also told watching him do the cone drill is "silly" and that was meant in a good way.”

also, this report made me look forward to the future updates from @rickyspub. I’d say we have plenty of knew folks who will be none the wiser. This year.

8 minutes ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

The unpopular part is what I didn’t say lol. He’s always been a great human being, as has the rest of the staff Art took from Stephenville, but I lost contact with everyone once they moved to Waco.

Briles doesn't slaughter babies on a ceremonial altar before every team meeting and press conference. He generally projects a folksy "Aw shucks" Texas good-old-coach persona to those who are not already in his tight circle. I know a couple of guys who also thought they knew Briles pretty well but were shocked and dismayed by what came out regarding the rapes at Baylor. Given the nature of cults and personal loyalty to strong figures, it is certainly believable that assistants who came into the Briles organization without any history of shenanigans could morph into junior versions of their leader. And it is believable that these assistants would live in a cognitively divided world in which they sing hymns with the rest of First Baptist on Sunday before plotting cover-ups for wayward players on Monday. When one's boss, whether suddenly or after an imperceptibly gradual transition, starts directing an obviously evil enterprise, one must choose. Resist openly, confront him behind closed doors, depart for lack of will/ability to effect change, or become complicit. The last option, sadly, tends to be the one often chosen, because to do so requires no difficult or disruptive speech or action.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

The unpopular part is what I didn’t say lol. He’s always been a great human being, as has the rest of the staff Art took from Stephenville, but I lost contact with everyone once they moved to Waco.

A great human being doesn't stand by a man who's let women get sexually assaulted and actively protected the perpetrators. Much less a man who was himself complicit in such actions, and who campaigned for his boss's return and lamented his firing as "unjust." 

Let me put it another way, he and everyone else involved there is a steaming pile of fucking shit. I don't care how loudly they fucking prayed on Sundays and how nicely they treated their neighbors. Next you're going to tell me how much good all those catholic church priests did for their community? Godly men!

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Yes.  Like a bad thunderstorm. 

So don't rape during thunderstorms.

31 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Are you the victim or the perpetrator?

If the victim, is the rapist a hot female?

This is a complicated question.

It's only sexual harassment if they're not hot.  If she's ugly, go to the police, if she's hot say thank you. 

45 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

In the words of Sgt. Slaughter:

Unpopular opinion but yes.

Don't rape in front of Sgt. Slaughter.

Alright I think I got it, let's get this Friday started.  Thanks guys.

9 minutes ago, CB'sGotMeLit said:

So don't rape during thunderstorms.

It's only sexual harassment if they're not hot.  If she's ugly, go to the police, if she's hot say thank you. 

Don't rape in front of Sgt. Slaughter.

Alright I think I got it, let's get this Friday started.  Thanks guys.

No no, its RAPE in front of Sgt. Slaughter. His opinion if you wont lower, and he’ll testify to your high character after when asked. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

12 hours ago, satyanash said:

But what makes McKnight different? After all, isn't that what every strength and conditioning coach is supposed to do? For me, it's the accountability he demands, and this goes well beyond the yelling and screaming typical of most S&C coaches. It reminds me of what LSU S&C coach Tommy Moffitt has done so successfully for so long. Not only does McKnight get along with players, but he also demands things of his players in a way where they want to get better. He also dilligently tracks their improvement over time so they can see how their bodies have changed over time.

Hide contents

I agree that Yancy has made a huge difference, and I acknowledge that Moffitt is probably the best in the business, but if Burton thinks Moffitt is a friendly, encouraging coach, he’s a fucking idiot. Moffitt screams at, belittles and mother-fucks his players all the time. He’s an intimidating mother fucker. He made one kid continue running after the kid had shit all over himself. Technically, I suppose the kid could’ve quit running, but he was afraid of the repercussions. But Moffitt’s methods do produce accountability and unity among the players. 

• Like 1