If BaD Radio isn't on from 3-7 p.m. ...

mdmost

31 minutes ago, mdmost said:

That transcript…oof for Cat and Dan Bennett. 

Yeah, based on what I scanned and excerpts that were posted on twitter they did not come off well at all.  Obviously we'll likely never know terms of settlement, but sure seems like I was wrong and Jake and Dan's scrappy small firm lawyers worked Cumulus over.  Did not expect for this to go well for the good guys.   But as it stands, looks like they get to do their podcast (maybe they bumped out any potential return to radio longer in exchange) while most P1's paying attention to this saga somehow have an even lower opinion of Cumulus and management (which I wasn't sure was possible pre litigation).

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, futureman said:

goodwill?  who the fuck likes cat?  he’s always sucked. 

I think he means just bringing the lawsuit generally.   It was an incredibly idiotic business decision by Cumulus that was obvious day 1.   Not only "going after the little guy" but allowing dirty laundry to air (Cumulus/Bennet pitting Bob against Dan, forcing non-competes on essentially minimum wage employees, etc.).   I know it won't happen but really just wish Cumulus would sell the station.   It's a tough business model for any company in current times but I think this entire debacle showed Cumulus is (i) particularly shitty and (ii) clueless and never understood the asset they have if they thought starting this litigation was a good idea.  Given Jake and Dan appear to be able to podcast starting tomorrow free and clear, they didn't even succeed in scaring future employees from challenging their non-competes in a similar fashion.  Good job good effort.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, threesheets said:

He was thinking of a lineup that would best hide Bass, not feature him. But I know reading is hard when you're just trying to be an asshole.

The only correct lineup is one in which Bass isn’t present. Which was my point. As you knew then and know now. 

14 hours ago, Skipper said:

Yeah, based on what I scanned and excerpts that were posted on twitter they did not come off well at all.  Obviously we'll likely never know terms of settlement, but sure seems like I was wrong and Jake and Dan's scrappy small firm lawyers worked Cumulus over.  Did not expect for this to go well for the good guys.   But as it stands, looks like they get to do their podcast (maybe they bumped out any potential return to radio longer in exchange) while most P1's paying attention to this saga somehow have an even lower opinion of Cumulus and management (which I wasn't sure was possible pre litigation).

I can see Cumulus being a thorn in their side on a lot going forward. If they try and use drops, if they talk about the litigation, etc. I’d like to think they’re too smart for that and perhaps they learned their lesson. That transcript is hilarious. Phillip Kingston remains a total doucher. 

1 minute ago, Porterhouse said:

I can see Cumulus being a thorn in their side on a lot going forward. If they try and use drops, if they talk about the litigation, etc. I’d like to think they’re too smart for that and perhaps they learned their lesson. That transcript is hilarious. Phillip Kingston remains a total doucher. 

Gordo's Twitch will be interesting.  I think Cumulus could certainly take that position, but if the other hosts learned anything after this debacle, it's that Cumulus really doesn't have any leverage with any of them.  What are they going to do if Gordo steps out of line.  Fire him?  I mean, as Cat admitted in cross "perhaps" Gordo is the Ticket's golden child.

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

Gordo's Twitch will be interesting.  I think Cumulus could certainly take that position, but if the other hosts learned anything after this debacle, it's that Cumulus really doesn't have any leverage with any of them.  What are they going to do if Gordo steps out of line.  Fire him?  I mean, as Cat admitted in cross "perhaps" Gordo is the Ticket's golden child.

No they’re not going to fire anyone, particularly with Gordo, to whom they will give everything he wants within reason. I doubt they’re going to just go away with former employees. They don’t want bad press or any more than they’ve gotten.

That won’t prevent them from attempting to stop former employees from stealing what they deem their property. Surely, as part of the Agreement, Dumb Zone will be told to not talk specifics about the mediation. And yet they will push that envelope. 

11 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Cumulus should really just let it go at this point.

57 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

Cumulus should really just let it go at this point.

They're past the point of should have let it go. If they don't at this point they're just really really obtuse. 

Great look to say we can't pay our talent to stay but we can pay even more money to a bunch of lawyers to sue the former talent we couldn't pay to stay. 

• Rage+1 2

TDZ will end up on The Freak. Rhynes will have completed the torpedoing of Cumulus and The Musers will be the only remains until Gordo bails. Junes or Jub would we a great loss if they retire, but Gordo is the keystone.

And where would they go. Dan isn’t an early morning person. Rhynes has pm drive. No one pays extra big money for midday. Expecially at a station struggling to edge out a Laotian show tunes channel. The reality is terrestrial radio is collapsing and the Ticket is a late arrival to the process.

I expect they stay on the DZ pod and work on advertising bucks and more subs.

3 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

And where would they go.

Chael Sirois, Danny and KT mornings, TDZ middays. Ben & Skin suck. Move them to nights (7 - 10) so they can get their day jobs done and still broadcast. Rhynes stays where he is with Julie and whoever. It won't be as good as it once was, but it will be as good once as it ever was.

Chael Sirois, Danny and KT mornings, TDZ middays. Ben & Skin suck. Move them to nights (7 - 10) so they can get their day jobs done and still broadcast. Rhynes stays where he is with Julie and whoever. It won't be as good as it once was, but it will be as good once as it ever was.

Again it’s midday, and the rev isn’t there unless you were rush Limbaugh. It’s a dying medium. No future really for Jake as iHeart and Cumulus and others are looking forward to killing local talent for either national or AI. For many folks an algorithm or two could be the Musers without missing a beat. It’s a big deal in country radio where smaller market stations are driven by local talent.

I think the only way they return to terrestrial radio is if they can’t make the DZ podcast a go. At their current rate they can live and have a pretty chill existence. If the add some more subs and get some sponsors they’ll on the path to the future.

When the Musers are gone it’s all gone. Sean bass 24/7 after that.

So with 5k subs they are at almost 35k a month. I can't really tell what patreon takes but it look like 5%  so they net about 33k/mo. So assuming they are splitting it 50 50 that's almost 200k each. I'm sure that's a decent haircut for Dan but definitely a big bump for Jake.  I'm sure there are production costs but can they be very high? 

Now that I'm assuming they can advertise.... what do they make on that?  10k a month?   5k? 1500?  I have no clue. 

But.... back of napkin, unless iheart throws a stupid number at them why would they ever leave?   Unless subs start dropping. But what if they grow it to 10k?  Fuck iheart. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Skipper said:

I think he means just bringing the lawsuit generally.   It was an incredibly idiotic business decision by Cumulus that was obvious day 1.   Not only "going after the little guy" but allowing dirty laundry to air (Cumulus/Bennet pitting Bob against Dan, forcing non-competes on essentially minimum wage employees, etc.).   I know it won't happen but really just wish Cumulus would sell the station.   It's a tough business model for any company in current times but I think this entire debacle showed Cumulus is (i) particularly shitty and (ii) clueless and never understood the asset they have if they thought starting this litigation was a good idea.  Given Jake and Dan appear to be able to podcast starting tomorrow free and clear, they didn't even succeed in scaring future employees from challenging their non-competes in a similar fashion.  Good job good effort.

It's a bit of revisionist history to look back in hindsight and claim this was an idiotic business decision on the part of Cumulus. Cumulus was conducting business as usual when they filed this lawsuit. They were wholly unaware that their entire business operating world had shifted beneath their feet. We can go back a few pages within this thread and see that the majority of posters believed the truly stupid participants in this battle were Dan and Jake. Gotta hand it to Dan and Jake, they slayed goliath. It's good to know people, notably a policy guru who formerly worked for the National Labor Relations board. I'm betting that in some ways Cumulus was correct in their claims. Dan and Jake probably were planning this for much longer than we think. They've been really tight with Bruenig for years. 

• Like 3

On 8/7/2023 at 11:04 AM, Skipper said:

That all being said, I still think this is a horrible decision by Cumulus from a PR and listener loyalty standpoint.  I still don't think the corporate brass at Cumulus has any understanding why The Ticket has worked and has been so successful, or, they flat out don't care and will just milk what they can until it blows up for good.  The facade that it's just a bunch of guys that are all best friends goofing off on the radio together and not a real "business" is why it's worked and has developed such a cult following. 

Just making sure it wasn't revisionist history in my head but this was my take on 8/7.   I definitely thought Dan and Jake would lose but this pretty much matches exactly what I think now.  Except Cumulus came off (i) looking worse than I thought they would and (ii) appears to have gotten worked and actually weakened their hand in future non-compete fights.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1