2018 Beer

HenryJames

10 hours ago, mdleast said:

This is very nice. I also appreciate non-bomber sized Pumpkinator bottles....especially bourbon barrel aged.

18693fc3f4b6f31fd9bb299c329885a4.jpg

Look at you drinking this year's batch.  I'm going to be cracking my 2016 bomber on Halloween, or this weekend, haven't decided.  But I've been aging them 2 years before drinking, makes a bit of a difference, IMO.

Look at you drinking this year's batch.  I'm going to be cracking my 2016 bomber on Halloween, or this weekend, haven't decided.  But I've been aging them 2 years before drinking, makes a bit of a difference, IMO.

That sounds like a pretty good system and I agree that some years’ batches could definitely benefit from a little aging to let them “cool down” a bit in the spiciness department. I will say this year’s bourbon barrel version was just the right amount of spicy.

I actually have Pumpkinators going all the way back to 2011. I used to buy multiples each year to have fresh and then age. However, I’ve since evolved/devolved to not enjoy drinking so much (bomber size) of such a heavy dark beer and hence my collection of them has started to back up. I definitely am not buying multiples of them these days. Still love that beer but have since recognized it may be too much of a good thing for me.

I stopped by the new Russian River Brewery for lunch yeaterday. I was very disappointed, especially after seeing what Ballast Point had done with their new place a few months ago. I know, independent, yada, yada - but it was really not a place I'd like to hang out. Felt like visiting a nursing wing at Disneyland. Hopefully everybody starts going there and 4th St becomes a cool, local dive.

And that burger was probably the most discussing thing I've had in my mouth this year.

5648e8e59d8264418da878f4c9c6bcaf.jpgd4bbc25cdfbb78627aa362195b27e81d.jpg772e1b23cc52e5ef45176d3f84e48bf6.jpge07fe62b8a10b1e142dead4cf65236ec.jpg

Dang, that’s disappointing to hear though I will say as I have checked in from time to time on their website live camera pics during construction I was surprised at how opposite looking it seemed to be compared to their original location. The pics you show from the inside further solidify that.

Perhaps an odd sounding comparison but for those of you in Austin who ever went there, the original RR brewpub reminds me in many ways of the original, one screen Alamo Drafthouse on 4th & Colorado (RIP).

Ya, I'd say it feels like a big, bright open space with lots of tables and a huge integrated gift shop that is designed for hundreds of people a day; then can be cleared out and hosed down for the next day.

The old one was kind of big, but felt like a small and successful family business.

That said, I saw on FB that they were bottling Blind Pig for distribution outside their pub for the 1st time in a few years, so maybe their beer will become easy to access.

That burger was really bad though.

It really made me think about how 1st Class everything at Sierra Nevada is. For a brewery so influenced by SN, they really missed their cue IMO.

The new Russian River is a huge building, but the tap room / brewpub is a very small part of it.

I think this is Vinnie and Natalie doing what they've always said they had no interest in doing, increasing production and cashing in.

They had a video a few days ago of them bottling Blind Pig for distribution - they haven't distributed Pig in 3 years. I also learned last night of 2 different SF Bars that will begin serving Pliny next month.

As bad as the tap room is, and seeing a cash grab for what it is, it couldn't happen to better people. They are both as nice and approachable people as you'd ever meet. They are very involved in the wider craft beer community and the Sonoma County community. If they're going to cash in, I'm happy to see them do it this way rather than selling out to big beer like so many others.

Anyone else going out to Oktoberfiesta at ABW today?

I was there yesterday wearing lederhosen because why not. I had to go to a wedding today but dropped in for one boot wearing my suit. Unfortunately that’s the way my calendar shook out. Getting weird looks both days.

Two guys actually showed up wearing pajamas that were styled like Harry and Lloyd’s tuxes. Top hats and canes too.

Does anyone else have a soft spot for Budwesier? It's so goddamn consistent and 5% booze and cheap and drinkable. It's nothing worth writing home about but knowing you can be anywhere on the map and hammer back 7 of em easily is a nice feeling. It's like enjoying the occasional Johnny Walker or Grey Goose. 

Does anyone else have a soft spot for Budwesier? It's so goddamn consistent and 5% booze and cheap and drinkable. It's nothing worth writing home about but knowing you can be anywhere on the map and hammer back 7 of em easily is a nice feeling. It's like enjoying the occasional Johnny Walker or Grey Goose. 

nope
  • Like 1

d6413e48c9c537f51ce8c8deffb669a0.jpg
  • Like 1

Definitely not Budweiser. But I have to admit, I keep two full shelves in my backup fridge stocked with various craft and another whole shelf in my pantry filled with aging bottles. But I always have at least a 12 pack of Coors Banquet in the fridge drawer too. Love that stuff. 

5914e57229f3138da744a8da8313a6a5.jpg

Pretty decent collaboration beer with Burgeon Beer out of Carlsbad. While they rarely live up to the hype, there is always a little extra allure to getting to have a collaboration beer from a brewery you wouldn’t normally get to try (or in this case, try again as I visited there last year...worth checking out if you’re in the area).

Oh and all the candy and plastic spiders in the pic were found in my yard post-Halloween and as this was my post-mowing beer.